WUSTL 2011 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
betsyclaire

New

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Post by betsyclaire » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Just wondering, if you are not applying for the Webster Society, what is the highest level scholarship that WUSTL is giving out this year? 135k, or do they have a guaranteed full tuition scholarship like IU Bloomington? Anyone know?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:51 pm

betsyclaire wrote:Just wondering, if you are not applying for the Webster Society, what is the highest level scholarship that WUSTL is giving out this year? 135k, or do they have a guaranteed full tuition scholarship like IU Bloomington? Anyone know?
Wouldn't 135k be full tuition?

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:16 pm

I started this thread back in October. I have yet to have my application reviewed by Wash U. This is just ridiculous. That's 5 months. Should I call or email them and say what's up? Or just let it go?

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:17 pm

username99 wrote:I started this thread back in October. I have yet to have my application reviewed by Wash U. This is just ridiculous. That's 5 months. Should I call or email them and say what's up? Or just let it go?
I would call and tell them you started the thread.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Perch wrote:
username99 wrote:I started this thread back in October. I have yet to have my application reviewed by Wash U. This is just ridiculous. That's 5 months. Should I call or email them and say what's up? Or just let it go?
I would call and tell them you started the thread.
:lol: +1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KingRajesh

Bronze

Post by KingRajesh » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:53 pm

WashU just needs to hurry up and hit me with the ding. Applied in November, In review for 2 months...

I know it's coming. :(

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:01 pm

Submitted in early december. Still no UR. If it gets to later in March, I'm going to be super pissed

meepmeep123

New

Post by meepmeep123 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:03 pm

applied end of october. this is getting ridiculous.

simontemplar

Bronze

Post by simontemplar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:28 pm

Admitted today! :D Does any scholarship offer typically come in the admission email? THanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

inchristalone

New

Post by inchristalone » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:30 pm

simontemplar wrote:Admitted today! :D Does any scholarship offer typically come in the admission email? THanks!
No, it comes later.

Has anyone heard about the Webster Society schollies yet? Do we even know if they're reviewing those essays yet?

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:18 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
betsyclaire wrote:Just wondering, if you are not applying for the Webster Society, what is the highest level scholarship that WUSTL is giving out this year? 135k, or do they have a guaranteed full tuition scholarship like IU Bloomington? Anyone know?
Wouldn't 135k be full tuition?
Right now it would be, but assuming they raise the tuition each year, it might not be a couple years from now.

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:51 pm

I only applied to WashU because my pre-law advisor thought that I'd get really good money there. I also applied in October... 5 months without even looking at an application is unacceptable. I might be totally off-base, but I think it could be indicative of how the administration treats students. There's basically nothing WashU could do at this point to make me want to go there.

/rant. Calling probably won't make you get reviewed any faster. But I'd be interested to see if they'll admit it's because you have a sub-168!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:07 pm

RTFM wrote:I only applied to WashU because my pre-law advisor thought that I'd get really good money there. I also applied in October... 5 months without even looking at an application is unacceptable. I might be totally off-base, but I think it could be indicative of how the administration treats students. There's basically nothing WashU could do at this point to make me want to go there.

/rant. Calling probably won't make you get reviewed any faster. But I'd be interested to see if they'll admit it's because you have a sub-168!
Chill out, broski. I understand you are frustrated, but WUSTL probably has one of the nicest admissions offices in the country. Everyone from the deans to the staff is willing to bend over backwards for our students. Ask anyone who has attended an ASW or gone on a visit, and I'm sure they will agree. Our admissions peeps are great folks, so don't bash them. Also, you should have known WUSTL has no rolling admissions system, so I dunno why you're so shocked. And who chooses a school based on the admissions office?

I understand everyone gets frustrated, and I know a lot of you have been waiting for a while. But WUSTL has a system of choosing applicants that can take a long time for some people, and you just have to sit tight and be patient. I know it sucks, trust me I do. But they didn't lose your file, and they aren't just doing this out of pleasure. It is simply how their system works.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

columbia86

Bronze

Post by columbia86 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:14 pm

simontemplar wrote:Admitted today! :D Does any scholarship offer typically come in the admission email? THanks!
When did you go in review?

Jeffro

Bronze

Post by Jeffro » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:27 pm

inchristalone wrote:Has anyone heard about the Webster Society schollies yet? Do we even know if they're reviewing those essays yet?
I was told by Admissions that "the Webster Society Scholarship is not usually determined until late March or April."

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:16 pm

romothesavior wrote: And who chooses a school based on the admissions office?
They were never that high on my list to begin with. And we could debate the usefulness of the LSAT for hours, but I don't really want to go to a school that only cares about my LSAT score. I'm getting into better schools with my (not very) crappy score.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:23 pm

RTFM wrote:
They were never that high on my list to begin with. And we could debate the usefulness of the LSAT for hours, but I don't really want to go to a school that only cares about my LSAT score. I'm getting into better schools with my (not very) crappy score.
congrats dude, but I think you have a very ignorant view of WUSTL.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:55 am

FuManChusco wrote:
RTFM wrote:
edit: Look, I'm not intending to be a douche and I'm sorry if I offended. But WashU has the clearest LSAT wall out of any school--if you have under a 3.8/167 they are not looking at your application right now, unless you are URM. Similar schools that I applied to at the exact same time looked past my numbers, and I personally appreciate that.

purplebulldogs

New

Post by purplebulldogs » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:30 am

RTFM wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:
RTFM wrote:
edit: Look, I'm not intending to be a douche and I'm sorry if I offended. But WashU has the clearest LSAT wall out of any school--if you have under a 3.8/167 they are not looking at your application right now, unless you are URM. Similar schools that I applied to at the exact same time looked past my numbers, and I personally appreciate that.
uh... can't you say the same thing about almost every T20 school?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:10 am

RTFM wrote: edit: Look, I'm not intending to be a douche and I'm sorry if I offended. But WashU has the clearest LSAT wall out of any school--if you have under a 3.8/167 they are not looking at your application right now, unless you are URM. Similar schools that I applied to at the exact same time looked past my numbers, and I personally appreciate that.
They probably didn't look past your numbers as much as you think. A lot of schools simply have a weighted algorithm where they plug in your GPA and LSAT score and out pops an index number. It makes it seem like the school "considers everything," but really all they care about is the numbers.

Any school that gets 5,000 applications a year doesn't have time to read 10,000 letters of recommendation (all of which say "this is the smartest, best applicant evar") and pick out people with slightly more praising letters and actually have that mean that you're a better applicant. Then they have to read 5,000 personal statements, half of which have been professionally edited by someone else...

Numbers at all schools are probably about 85% of the decision. Softs help you only if you are on the fence (unless you are some very exceptional case). Some schools decide to weight one number more than the other. With WUSTL, they like LSAT, because it's easier to sell their class to prospective employers (and it's a better predictor of law school success).

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:56 am

+1 to jcougar. Soft factors are just that: they're soft. For 90%+ of people, softs don't make up for your GPA/LSAT. They certainly do their best to take a variety of factors into account, but at the same time, WUSTL has a very systematic way of going through applicants. They certainly try to look at people's experiences, LORs, addendums, etc., but they have so much volume, they have to use numbers to differentiate. They like the LSAT. IMO, BFD. We still have a 3.7 GPA median, so obviously we aren't that LSAT-oriented.

Plenty of people will get in with sub-168/3.8. They just typically come later in the game, that's all. I wouldn't be surprised if WUSTL is very consciously trying to raise the LSAT median this year, so I don't think this should come as a surprise to anybody. I personally am not a fan of the non-rolling admissions so I feel everybody's pain, but it is what it is, so just be patient. Last year, a lot of people were freaking out and getting mad too, but then they got an acceptance and scholarship and all that frustration floated away. :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:48 pm

RTFM wrote:
In this case, your honor, intent is not the issue. All evidence points to the result, which is, of course...

douche.

Just get out of this thread that's intended to be helpful to people that WANT to go to WUSTL, and enjoy having your JD churned out from Georgetown or one of the other "better" schools you went to. The midwest wouldn't appreciate your pretentiousness anyway.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:08 pm

So, does Wash U offer need-based aid? What was the point of that aid application?

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:17 pm

kk19131 wrote:So, does Wash U offer need-based aid? What was the point of that aid application?

Institutional loans I think

ktg808

Bronze

Post by ktg808 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:29 pm

Congrats! is SMU still high on your list?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”