WUSTL 2011 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
soccerfreak

Bronze

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Post by soccerfreak » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:50 pm

Hannibal wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
modmx wrote:Agreed. But I can atleast have sports, nightlife and shopping in St. Louis. Not a big fan of cornfields
Sports are probably bigger in C-U than in STL. And the nightlife is available without rapedanger.
Haha as someone who grew up in Stl, I think its classification as abnormally "dangerous" is one of the funniest, most overblown things on TLS.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101122/ap_ ... ous_cities
Yeah those rankings get thrown around a lot. It's also common knowledge, at least in the area, that those statistics are abnormally large because they are based on population within the city limits, which haven't been expanded in over 130 years because of some clause in the city constitution. For comparison, the Stl metro area has approx twice the population of Kansas City, yet KC's "city" population is much larger.

Look, I'm not trying to say that Stl is safer than a college town, just commenting on how overblown the whole thing is. After reading comments on here, I've often wondered how I was able to grow up without getting mugged at least twice while trying to make it to my friendly neighborhood Wal-mart.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:11 pm

Sorry, didn't mean to come in here talking mess about WUSTL. It's been one of my faves since reading about it before I even took the LSAT. I guess my last few posts revealed that I kind of have an irrational UIUC loyalty at this point.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:41 pm

Hannibal wrote:Sorry, didn't mean to come in here talking mess about WUSTL. It's been one of my faves since reading about it before I even took the LSAT. I guess my last few posts revealed that I kind of have an irrational UIUC loyalty at this point.
+1, it happens

I was looking at flights tonight. is the stipend just $200 (ultimate laziness). the cheapest flight I can find is around 300 or so. I really want to know about scholarship money before spending any money to visit.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:42 pm

Hannibal wrote:Sorry, didn't mean to come in here talking mess about WUSTL. It's been one of my faves since reading about it before I even took the LSAT. I guess my last few posts revealed that I kind of have an irrational UIUC loyalty at this point.
Hey, Dean Pless is the man and UIUC is a great school, so it is perfectly understandable!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:42 pm

JenDarby wrote:
+1, it happens

I was looking at flights tonight. is the stipend just $200 (ultimate laziness). the cheapest flight I can find is around 300 or so. I really want to know about scholarship money before spending any money to visit.
Yeah, I'm thinking I probably won't end up going. Refundable flights are really expensive, and I don't want to end up spending a ton of money on a glorified vacation if their scholly is low.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lushka

New

Post by lushka » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:56 pm

Is it just me or does every single person that got accepted to Wash U expecting scholly money?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:59 pm

lushka wrote:Is it just me or does every single person that got accepted to Wash U expecting scholly money?
BOATLOADS of it, as a matter of fact.

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:15 am

JenDarby wrote:
lushka wrote:Is it just me or does every single person that got accepted to Wash U expecting scholly money?
Lol Darby. But yeah, I think we're all expecting offers of varying size. I won't be one to question the realism of those expectations though :wink:

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:16 am

Muenchen wrote:
JenDarby wrote:
Lol Darby. But yeah, I think we're all expecting offers of varying size. I won't be one to question the realism of those expectations though :wink:
Considering all of our stats...getting no money would be kind of a shock.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:22 am

JenDarby wrote:
+1, it happens

How does one get a travel stipend? I really should've asked UCLA if they had one...

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:33 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
How does one get a travel stipend? I really should've asked UCLA if they had one...
They mentioned it in my acceptance email. I emailed them about how to get the money, they said they'd have a form at ASW that you can pick up and mail in your receipts for the stipend. Maybe that's how they do it everywhere?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:44 am

Hannibal wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
They mentioned it in my acceptance email. I emailed them about how to get the money, they said they'd have a form at ASW that you can pick up and mail in your receipts for the stipend. Maybe that's how they do it everywhere?
Huh, no mention of it in my WUSTL admission email. Oh well, I can take a megabus down for like $40... but do I have the time for that?

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:45 am

Arbiter213 wrote: Huh, no mention of it in my WUSTL admission email. Oh well, I can take a megabus down for like $40... but do I have the time for that?
that's probably why you didn't get one, too close to qualify.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:06 am

JenDarby wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote: Huh, no mention of it in my WUSTL admission email. Oh well, I can take a megabus down for like $40... but do I have the time for that?
that's probably why you didn't get one, too close to qualify.
Yah :/ I wonder how much a flight actually is...

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:24 am

No worries. I didn't mean to sound like some sort of WUSTL apologist, I was more just commenting on a general stigma Saint Louis has developed on TLS.

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:56 am

Travel stipend is $200. I emailed admissions after I RSVP'd for an ASW and they gave me instructions.

theturkeyisfat

Bronze

Post by theturkeyisfat » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:57 pm

soccerfreak wrote:
No worries. I didn't mean to sound like some sort of WUSTL apologist, I was more just commenting on a general stigma Saint Louis has developed on TLS.
What are the reasons for this "stigma?"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:02 pm

seems like WUSTL is still generally at 168+ given LSN..?

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:09 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:
Well you can go back and read through some of the posts. Basically there are articles ranking "most dangerous cities" and Saint Louis is usually near the top. This has often been overblown on TLS to the point of "You will probably get raped while walking to class." However there is good reason to believe that these rankings are not accurate representations.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:20 pm

Lol. I am. Not sure how much yet though.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:26 pm

theturkeyisfat wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:No worries. I didn't mean to sound like some sort of WUSTL apologist, I was more just commenting on a general stigma Saint Louis has developed on TLS.
That it sucks and is abnormally dangerous. And that it is an insular market. The first two are false, and the third is somewhat true unless you can demonstrate you really want to be in St. Louis to employers. Is it dangerous? Yeah I guess in some areas, but the numbers are misleading and I have never felt threatened at all.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote:
soccerfreak wrote:No worries. I didn't mean to sound like some sort of WUSTL apologist, I was more just commenting on a general stigma Saint Louis has developed on TLS.
That it sucks and is abnormally dangerous. And that it is an insular market. The first two are false, and the third is somewhat true unless you can demonstrate you really want to be in St. Louis to employers. Is it dangerous? Yeah I guess in some areas, but the numbers are misleading and I have never felt threatened at all.
FWIW, in the areas of town that you'd ever go to while in law school, I feel that STL is much safer than any of the Chi schools. That's my own personal opinion, however, so I don't know how it translates across to other 0L's. I've never felt unsafe anywhere that I've been in the Midwest.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:58 pm

chrisbru wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
theturkeyisfat wrote:
FWIW, in the areas of town that you'd ever go to while in law school, I feel that STL is much safer than any of the Chi schools. That's my own personal opinion, however, so I don't know how it translates across to other 0L's. I've never felt unsafe anywhere that I've been in the Midwest.
You clearly haven't been to the south side of Chicago.

(And NU law is in a very nice area of chicago- definitely safer than most of st. louis unless you count pickpockets).

My question: Does WUSTL place at all to NYC?

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:59 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Lolz. Northwestern is on the north side of Chicago, off the shore of Lake Michigan.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:02 pm

I submitted to WUSTL 2 weeks ago and they still haven't requested my CAS report. WTF?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”