WUSTL 2011 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ihp12

Bronze

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Post by ihp12 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:37 pm

chrisbru wrote:
edgarfigaro wrote:
ihp12 wrote:According to LSN decision dates, there were alot more 167s accepted in december last year than have been this year. So I agree that they're making a push for 168, but will be forced to take many more 167s and 166s. Even if they do hit a 168 median, that will mean 50% of attendees will be 167 or less.
Not exactly...
If they do hit a 168 median, it means that exactly ((total attendees/2) - 1) will have a 167 or less. Unless total attendees is an odd number, in which case the exactly ((total attendees/2) - 1.5) will have a 167 or less. By definition, not necessarily practice, of course...

:lol:
LOL. I just got statisticly pwned.

Actually technically though, 100% of the class could have a 168 if the median is 168. Median just means the middle number.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:38 pm

chrisbru wrote: Truth. I have been out of statistics and in a mind-numbing excel driven "analyst" job for too long.
It's quite alright. I didn't mean to pick on your stats, I just wanted to correct a misconception that I've seen on several school's threads. I still don't think 167's should worry, just not because people think 50% is guaranteed to be 167 or under. 167 is not a bad place at all to be for WUSTL, gunning for 168 median or not.
ihp12 wrote: Actually technically though, 100% of the class could have a 168 if the median is 168. Median just means the middle number.
You're right, but if you look at the 25th percentile there's no chance in hell that's going to rise to 168, although the 75th could very well stay at 168 (for example, Cornell's 50% and 75% were both 168 last year). So I'd venture to say at most 75% could have a 168.

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:54 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
chrisbru wrote: Truth. I have been out of statistics and in a mind-numbing excel driven "analyst" job for too long.
It's quite alright. I didn't mean to pick on your stats, I just wanted to correct a misconception that I've seen on several school's threads. I still don't think 167's should worry, just not because people think 50% is guaranteed to be 167 or under. 167 is not a bad place at all to be for WUSTL, gunning for 168 median or not.
ihp12 wrote: Actually technically though, 100% of the class could have a 168 if the median is 168. Median just means the middle number.
You're right, but if you look at the 25th percentile there's no chance in hell that's going to rise to 168, although the 75th could very well stay at 168 (for example, Cornell's 50% and 75% were both 168 last year). So I'd venture to say at most 75% could have a 168.
Agreed

TurkeyDay

New

Post by TurkeyDay » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:01 pm

Birdlaw wrote:
krad wrote:
Birdlaw wrote:Sorry Krad, I'm thoroughly convinced that a good GPA at WashU is worthless. I'm also pretty sure that its worthless almost everywhere else. Reverse splitter hell sucks, especially when you see someone with a 2.5 getting into WashU on LSN.

I should have never gone to class and just studied for the LSAT for three years.
Sorry dude :( I was saying decent GPAs with LSATs below but near 168... I still think its crap that a solid GPA can't pull more weight (and I don't even have one!).
Thanks for the reverse splitter sympathy. I am really just bitter at this point. Hopefully I'll squeeze in somehow. I need to get off TLS and go talk to my friends/family who think that a 163 is a good score.
+1, but a 161. sigh.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:06 pm

4 years of undergrad excellence, even at a top ranked school, means nothing to law school.

It's good times. =/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:07 pm

weejonbu wrote:
JCougar wrote:
BeachandRun23 wrote:
JCougar wrote: You might have to wait a while for that one. 168 seems to be the magic number this year, but remember, that's only what they want their median to be, so about half the class will get in with LSATs below that. Your GPA is in the range where it might be good enough for them to admit you to buttress their GPA median once their LSAT median is secure. But WUSTL seems to focus on achieving their target LSAT median first, and when it's apparent that they've achieved that, they go for other things like GPA median, local people, people with great personal statements/stories, etc. In the past, they have liked people with a 3.65 GPA and higher, because they can round it up and say they have a 3.7 median. But they may have to go with a lower GPA median this year because they're being more selective with the LSAT.

You're literally one of those people who is going to be right on the border with those numbers, so showing interest (if WUSTL is your top choice) will make a lot of difference. If it is, I'd plan a campus visit to see the school and talk with the admissions staff.

Look at last year's LSN. Everyone with 167's got in. Even people with gpas under 3.0. I'd say he gets in no problem. Hell just have to wait a little bit.

http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/
But this year, they're trying to move their median up to 168. It was 167 last year.
That may be the case, but you're still speculating. Sheesh.
I didn't say I wasn't speculating. I'm really just trying to help. WUSTL has a very predictable and consistent admissions formula that they have used over the last 6 years or so. It appears that they're using the same formula this year, except using 168 as their median. In the past, if you don't have a median LSAT, you need to have the GPA or be a URM. The poster I was responding to is right on the edge of whether he/she will get in or not if they are able to raise their median to 168. So if they really want to be at WUSTL, I think they have a decent shot, but they won't hear until March or so, and it would be very beneficial if they showed sincere interest in the school.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:17 pm

Also, to the reverse splitters:

WUSTL has a reputation for being LSAT splitter friendly, but they're also reverse-splitter friendly as well. They're friendly to all those who split. I know a handful of people with LSATs in the low 160s, and at least one below 160, that ended up getting in last year. They all had good GPAs, though.

It's just a matter of priorities. Most schools treat their LSAT median as the most important, so those people are going to be dealt with first. But GPA median is also important to schools. I think in general, reverse splitters end up doing pretty well, but they also end up having to wait much longer.

Birdlaw

Bronze

Post by Birdlaw » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:56 pm

Well thats encouraging JCougar, I think the waiting game is getting the best of me. I went complete 11/29. Think its time to send a LOCI?

m dot m

New

Post by m dot m » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:15 pm

Might have been covered so far, but has anyone received something in the mail after being admitted via email? It's been a couple weeks and all I've been sent are a couple of emails.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:34 pm

m dot m wrote:Might have been covered so far, but has anyone received something in the mail after being admitted via email? It's been a couple weeks and all I've been sent are a couple of emails.
I was accepted in mid-December and haven't received anything yet.

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:37 pm

m dot m wrote:Might have been covered so far, but has anyone received something in the mail after being admitted via email? It's been a couple weeks and all I've been sent are a couple of emails.
Nothing, and I think I might have read something in one of those emails saying everything would be electronic.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Speaking of electronic communications, I just got the email reminder about ASDs....I wish they would start sending out scholarship info, so I can figure out if they really want me/I really want them, and then RSVP to one of these!

MillerTime

Bronze

Post by MillerTime » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:04 pm

JenDarby wrote:Speaking of electronic communications, I just got the email reminder about ASDs....I wish they would start sending out scholarship info, so I can figure out if they really want me/I really want them, and then RSVP to one of these!
+1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:12 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:38 pm

seancooksey07 wrote:
evandm wrote:
JenDarby wrote:Speaking of electronic communications, I just got the email reminder about ASDs....I wish they would start sending out scholarship info, so I can figure out if they really want me/I really want them, and then RSVP to one of these!
+1
For the nth time....scholarship info comes out in mid-February

I know, I know, it doesn't mean we can't want it. :wink:

Haliburton

New

Post by Haliburton » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:37 pm

I got accepted via email early December and just got a packet in the mail a couple days ago. No scholly info though :(

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:38 pm

evandm wrote:
+1
+1

I might go regardless, since $200 discount for a weekend would still be a cool mini-vacation. Does anyone know if the Cardinals play a home game that weekend (though I suppose it would be preseason still)?
Last edited by Hannibal on Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:38 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Hannibal wrote:
evandm wrote:
+1
+1

I might go regardless, since $200 discount for a weekend would still be a cool mini-vacation. Does anyone know if the Cardinals play a home game that weekend (though I suppose it would be preseason still)?
Where is the travel subsidy information?

Edit: I see that it is in my ASBB login e-mail (totally overlooked). Also, is there no admitted students thread?
Last edited by bdubs on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:54 pm

The ASW stipend was mentioned in my acceptance email. Not sure everyone got the stipend.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:28 pm

i feel like i'm not getting in. i've been UCR since november, and my LSAT is over the comfortable over 168 wall they're going for. my gpa isn't terrible, but i have a feeling they don't like me as a person and am waiting to see if they could get enough people like me to reject me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mlipsco

New

Post by mlipsco » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:58 am

FYI: The school just let us know that they've admitted 500 students so far. Obviously, no one knows how many of those students will accept, but I thought this might be some information that you would like to know. Good luck to all of you!

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:06 pm

I just withdrew my acceptance because I intend to enroll at one of the other schools to which I was accepted. Hopefully one of you applicants who really wants WUSTL will get my seat. Good luck!

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:16 pm

mlipsco wrote:FYI: The school just let us know that they've admitted 500 students so far. Obviously, no one knows how many of those students will accept, but I thought this might be some information that you would like to know. Good luck to all of you!
Does anyone have any info on how many offers they have given in the past?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:18 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:
mlipsco wrote:FYI: The school just let us know that they've admitted 500 students so far. Obviously, no one knows how many of those students will accept, but I thought this might be some information that you would like to know. Good luck to all of you!
Does anyone have any info on how many offers they have given in the past?
987 acceptances last year

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”