WUSTL 2011 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tinlawman

New

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Post by tinlawman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:27 am

r2b2ct wrote:Did anyone get the line in their acceptance email that the scholarship committee is considering you for a Scholar in Law award and ultimately not receive one?
I think they consider everyone for that award. And I think the decision emails they send out are the same (everyone who gets accepted gets the same email, everyone who gets rejected gets the same email, etc...)

Jackson Pollock

Bronze

Post by Jackson Pollock » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:39 am

I just googled "delmar loop crime."

Lots of shit goes down there.

Even read an event a couple of years ago about a family of five getting back from a vacation and getting off a train, only to be randomly attacked by a group of 20 dudes. The adult son had to have surgery for his fractured eye socket. They even attacked the 50-year old mom, wtf?

If I go there, I think it's Clayton for me.

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:48 am

Is South city too far to live in as a 1L?

limelightwave

New

Post by limelightwave » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:01 am

Jackson Pollock wrote:I just googled "delmar loop crime."

Lots of shit goes down there.

Even read an event a couple of years ago about a family of five getting back from a vacation and getting off a train, only to be randomly attacked by a group of 20 dudes. The adult son had to have surgery for his fractured eye socket. They even attacked the 50-year old mom, wtf?

If I go there, I think it's Clayton for me.
I went there for undergrad and lived basically on the loop (just north of it) my senior year, and I never had any problems. I even felt fairly safe walking around by myself at night as long as I was paying close attention to my surroundings. It's definitely not as crazy as it sounds.

The DeMun area is nice as well (just south of campus along Skinker Blvd.), as is the Central West End.

Jackson Pollock

Bronze

Post by Jackson Pollock » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:12 am

limelightwave wrote:I went there for undergrad and lived basically on the loop (just north of it) my senior year, and I never had any problems. I even felt fairly safe walking around by myself at night as long as I was paying close attention to my surroundings. It's definitely not as crazy as it sounds.

The DeMun area is nice as well (just south of campus along Skinker Blvd.), as is the Central West End.
I'm overreacting, I know. My concern is that my wife and 3 year old daughter will be living there with me. I keep thinking that since I'll be spending a lot of time in the law library, I want them to be in a safe neighborhood. I don't want the added stress of worrying about them.

Is Creve Coeur a good area? I'm noticing a lot of nice apartments there for decent prices. And I personally don't mind a 15 minute commute if it's in a better neighborhood.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

limelightwave

New

Post by limelightwave » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:28 am

Jackson Pollock wrote:
limelightwave wrote:I went there for undergrad and lived basically on the loop (just north of it) my senior year, and I never had any problems. I even felt fairly safe walking around by myself at night as long as I was paying close attention to my surroundings. It's definitely not as crazy as it sounds.

I'm overreacting, I know. My concern is that my wife and 3 year old daughter will be living there with me. I keep thinking that since I'll be spending a lot of time in the law library, I want them to be in a safe neighborhood. I don't want the added stress of worrying about them.

Is Creve Coeur a good area? I'm noticing a lot of nice apartments there for decent prices. And I personally don't mind a 15 minute commute if it's in a better neighborhood.
As far as I know, it is. I don't know a whole lot about it, but I just pulled up the map and if I recall correctly, it was quite nice.

Jackson Pollock

Bronze

Post by Jackson Pollock » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:51 am

limelightwave wrote:As far as I know, it is. I don't know a whole lot about it, but I just pulled up the map and if I recall correctly, it was quite nice.
Thanks. I think I'm going to check out a few places there when I visit in July.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:53 am

Come on WashU... you have 3 days to raise my scholarship.

:lol:

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:56 am

tinlawman wrote:
r2b2ct wrote:Did anyone get the line in their acceptance email that the scholarship committee is considering you for a Scholar in Law award and ultimately not receive one?
I think they consider everyone for that award. And I think the decision emails they send out are the same (everyone who gets accepted gets the same email, everyone who gets rejected gets the same email, etc...)
Not exactly. I panicked a bit when I received my acceptance email, because it didn't mention anything about considering me for scholars in law, but I still received an offer a few days later.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:06 pm

0LNewbie wrote:
tinlawman wrote:
Not exactly. I panicked a bit when I received my acceptance email, because it didn't mention anything about considering me for scholars in law, but I still received an offer a few days later.
Same. Mine didn't gave the line, but ended grtting awarded close to full-tuition.

the_drake

New

Post by the_drake » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:12 pm

I had the Scholar in Law award line in my acceptance email and have not received info regarding a scholarship, nor have I received an admissions packet.

I'll probably put down the seat deposit anyway since it's refundable, but without a fairly hefty award I won't be seriously considering attending.

tropicalpeach

New

Post by tropicalpeach » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:18 pm

Still holding on somehow with a 2.9/167...

tinlawman

New

Post by tinlawman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:43 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
0LNewbie wrote:
tinlawman wrote:
Same. Mine didn't gave the line, but ended grtting awarded close to full-tuition.
I stand corrected. (From drake's post above) Maybe they're just trying to screw with people and people getting the scholarship don't have that line and people not getting the scholarship do ;).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ceremony

New

Post by ceremony » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:30 pm

Still IR 3/11..............

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:49 pm

Anyone successfully renegotiate yet, or did they give you all the same "after the deposit" story?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Jackson Pollock wrote:

+1 to limelightwave re: the Loop, DeMun, and CWE.

And yeah JP, Creve Coeur is a nice suburb as far as I am aware, but I'll be honest... I don't think I've been there more than once and I didn't see much. I don't know anyone who lives there.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Verity wrote:Anyone successfully renegotiate yet, or did they give you all the same "after the deposit" story?
What is the "after the deposit" story? Like, submit your deposit and then they'll talk about it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:16 pm

0LNewbie wrote:
Verity wrote:Anyone successfully renegotiate yet, or did they give you all the same "after the deposit" story?
What is the "after the deposit" story? Like, submit your deposit and then they'll talk about it?
i assume he means after the deposit deadline some scholarship $ may be freed up

coreno16

New

Post by coreno16 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:38 pm

By renegotiate do you mean ask for more money after already receiving a bump? Or do you mean going for a bump for the first time. If the latter, I've had success.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:37 pm

I'm worried that I have no leverage because I've already paid my deposit.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:39 pm

0LNewbie wrote:I'm worried that I have no leverage because I've already paid my deposit.
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cbp3443

New

Post by cbp3443 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:40 pm

0LNewbie wrote:I'm worried that I have no leverage because I've already paid my deposit.

But it's refundable. They know they still have to stay competitive, at least until the second deposit.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:40 pm

cbp3443 wrote:

But it's refundable. They know they still have to stay competitive, at least until the second deposit.
I thought about that... wasn't sure if I was over-thinking it. Thanks.

limelightwave

New

Post by limelightwave » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:41 pm

In Review 3/22 => In Review 3/29.... and the text disappeared. I'm sure my rejection email is coming soon haha.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:42 pm

True. Hopefully I have a t14 acceptance and some money with which to negotiate at some point. How audacious is it to ask for more money with no other options?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”