WUSTL 2011 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ec2xs

Bronze

Re: WUSTL 2011 Cycle

Post by ec2xs » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:41 pm

soccerfreak wrote:are schollies determined based solely on lsat/gpa or do other factors come into play?
Mostly the former. WUSTL is fairly by-the-numbers, but they might award more money late in the cycle once people start withdrawing (freeing up funds). If that happens, than I imagine other factors will come in to play.

Edit: I'm a 1L and up for taking anybody's questions over the holidays. Just shoot me a PM or ask away!
Last edited by ec2xs on Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:42 pm

ihp12 wrote:General question - Is WUSTL considered prestigous and/or well known where any of you are from?

I'm in Houston, and of the people I've told about WUSTL, maybe 1 in 10 has even heard of it, even though both the University and law school are ranked very high.
In DC WUSTL (undergrad/general) is known amongst groups who would generally be familiar with top-tier universities. I have yet to meet a lawyer who graduated from the school though. The lay prestige of the school is generally low on the East Coast though.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:13 pm

bdubs wrote:
ihp12 wrote:General question - Is WUSTL considered prestigous and/or well known where any of you are from?

I'm in Houston, and of the people I've told about WUSTL, maybe 1 in 10 has even heard of it, even though both the University and law school are ranked very high.
In DC WUSTL (undergrad/general) is known amongst groups who would generally be familiar with top-tier universities. I have yet to meet a lawyer who graduated from the school though. The lay prestige of the school is generally low on the East Coast though.
Agreed, I'm in the tri-state area, and it seems that my undergraduate friends who are in any way serious about going to graduate schools consider WUSTL in general relatively prestigious, whereas others have no clue where or what it is. I personally never heard of it growing up, until I found out my cousin did her undergrad there.

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:55 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Agreed, I'm in the tri-state area, and it seems that my undergraduate friends who are in any way serious about going to graduate schools consider WUSTL in general relatively prestigious, whereas others have no clue where or what it is. I personally never heard of it growing up, until I found out my cousin did her undergrad there.
Thanks, and actually this has also been my experience thus far. The people I knew that had heard of it were kids who went to top prep schools, but none of my public school friends had.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:18 am

Yeah, WUSTL has a great rep in the midwest and I'm sure people familiar with academia generally know of it. It has many respectable graduate schools and its undergrad is solid, and it is one of the most elite medical schools in the country. It definitely gets a lot of respect in the St. Louis area.

With that said, I'm not surprised that most people outside of the midwest have never heard of it. Lay prestige is extremely regional. I don't think most people here in the midwest know what Brown is besides a color and most would likely be surprised to find out that Penn is an Ivy League school instead of some meddling state school.

Going to a LS for prestige purposes is generally an unwise decision, however.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ihp12

Bronze

Post by ihp12 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:30 am

romothesavior wrote:Yeah, WUSTL has a great rep in the midwest and I'm sure people familiar with academia generally know of it. It has many respectable graduate schools and its undergrad is solid, and it is one of the most elite medical schools in the country. It definitely gets a lot of respect in the St. Louis area.

With that said, I'm not surprised that most people outside of the midwest have never heard of it. Lay prestige is extremely regional. I don't think most people here in the midwest know what Brown is besides a color and most would likely be surprised to find out that Penn is an Ivy League school instead of some meddling state school.

Going to a LS for prestige purposes is generally an unwise decision, however.
Agreed

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:59 pm

I also want to encourage everyone who applies to visit the campus. Last year, they gave admitted students a $200 stipend for a visit. I would assume they're going to do so this year.

I was trying to decide between a few schools, but as soon as I saw this campus and the atmosphere, I was instantly sold. It's right across the street from the enormous Forest Park, and close to some pretty fancy neighborhoods. It's good to explore St. Louis, too...and realize that it's not as bad as the media makes it out to be.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:03 pm

JCougar wrote:I also want to encourage everyone who applies to visit the campus. Last year, they gave admitted students a $200 stipend for a visit. I would assume they're going to do so this year.

I was trying to decide between a few schools, but as soon as I saw this campus and the atmosphere, I was instantly sold. It's right across the street from the enormous Forest Park, and close to some pretty fancy neighborhoods. It's good to explore St. Louis, too...and realize that it's not as bad as the media makes it out to be.
On that note: Make sure to go to City Museum while you visit. It is absolutely awesome, and has a bar inside. Bring a date, you may get lucky.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:19 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
JCougar wrote:I also want to encourage everyone who applies to visit the campus. Last year, they gave admitted students a $200 stipend for a visit. I would assume they're going to do so this year.

On that note: Make sure to go to City Museum while you visit. It is absolutely awesome, and has a bar inside. Bring a date, you may get lucky.
+1 to both JCougar and Arbiter. St. Louis and WUSTL are worth a visit, and the City Museum may be one of the coolest places I've ever been (although I quickly realized I am too big and/or old to really take full advantage of it!) It is basically a massive jungle gym, like nothing you've ever been in before. There are caves to explore, a slide that is like 8 stories tall, and tubes to climb in that are a couple of stories in the air. And a bar! :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

+1 to both JCougar and Arbiter. St. Louis and WUSTL are worth a visit, and the City Museum may be one of the coolest places I've ever been (although I quickly realized I am too big and/or old to really take full advantage of it!) It is basically a massive jungle gym, like nothing you've ever been in before. There are caves to explore, a slide that is like 810 stories tall, and tubes to climb in that are a couple of stories in the air. And a bartwo bars! :lol:
<3

molazapuku

Bronze

Post by molazapuku » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:29 pm

St. Louis is home. I admit we have an inferiority complex....and I never understood the obsession with "where did you go to high school?" (or toasted ravioli)...but the WUSTL campus is very nice. Forest Park, which WUSTL is right across from, is enormous with lots of activities. The Zoo (one of the top in the country) and the Science Center (also one of the best in the country) are right there. Both are free (well, mostly...they always have a few things you have to pay extra to get in). There are also several museums inside the Park as well, plus a golf course if you ever have time.

I don't know if you're going to find a vibrant night life or anything...been married with kids an awfully long time...but I would definitely say WUSTL is worth a visit and give yourself some time to check out the nearby attractions.

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:48 pm

Finally "In Review" 11/30

egeffin

New

Post by egeffin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:51 pm

cartercl wrote:Finally "In Review" 11/30
when did you apply?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

username99

Bronze

Post by username99 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:57 pm

egeffin wrote:
when did you apply?
I'm still not in review and I went complete on Oct 11th. What's up with that?

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:01 pm

egeffin wrote:
when did you apply?
I think I went complete around mid October. I can't remember the exact date though. I submitted my application on 9/17.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:09 pm

Has anyone's "In Review" date changed recently? Mine has been stagnant at 11/10. I'd really like to get an e-mail this week!

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:16 pm

username99 wrote:
egeffin wrote:
when did you apply?
complete 9/16 and still not UR. its probably numbers based?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:28 pm

nematoad wrote:
username99 wrote:
egeffin wrote:
when did you apply?
complete 9/16 and still not UR. its probably numbers based?
Wouldn't be surprised; just took a look at LSN and it looks like all the acceptances have hit at LEAST one median, and many are above both. Not saying that that's sufficient to go under review, but looks like they may be dealing with higher numbers first.

I've been complete since 11/15, so not too long, but not under review.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:31 pm

in review for 3 weeks....is that weird?

almostfamous

Bronze

Post by almostfamous » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:31 pm

bdubs wrote:Has anyone's "In Review" date changed recently? Mine has been stagnant at 11/10. I'd really like to get an e-mail this week!
Same here... Submitted 10/27, under review since 11/10

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:38 pm

bdubs wrote:Has anyone's "In Review" date changed recently? Mine has been stagnant at 11/10. I'd really like to get an e-mail this week!
Same here. Hopefully we get some good news soon.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:05 pm

I'm with you guys.

kk19131

Silver

Post by kk19131 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:10 pm

I finally went in review today... after being "complete" since 9/24/. :roll:

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:24 pm

kk19131 wrote:I finally went in review today... after being "complete" since 9/24/. :roll:
I went "In Review" on 11/17 after submitting 10/29.

This process sucks, doesn't it? =/

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:04 am

App received 11/15 just became app complete 11/29 :D

And looking at lat year's LSN for people with #s and complete dates similar to mine it looks like I'll be waiting between 1 and 6 weeks. :?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”