Wake 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
girlonfire

Re: Wake 2011

Postby girlonfire » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:40 pm

wester0 wrote:
iambeautiful wrote:Anymore pics?

That's it, sorry.

bow11 wrote:For those of you who did go this past weekend, what was the dress code? Specifically for girls?

I think someone mentioned this earlier. It seemed to be a touch less than business casual. I'm not sure how that translates into clothes for girls but for guys it seemed to be khakis and a button down. Some of us wore jackets over the button downs and others just wore polos instead. As long as you don't show up in a tube top and a denim mini-skirt I think you'll be fine.

Hope that helps.

Well, there goes my outfit... :lol:

amasingama

Postby amasingama » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:51 pm

girlonfire wrote:
wester0 wrote:

That's it, sorry.

bow11 wrote:For those of you who did go this past weekend, what was the dress code? Specifically for girls?

I think someone mentioned this earlier. It seemed to be a touch less than business casual. I'm not sure how that translates into clothes for girls but for guys it seemed to be khakis and a button down. Some of us wore jackets over the button downs and others just wore polos instead. As long as you don't show up in a tube top and a denim mini-skirt I think you'll be fine.

Hope that helps.

Girlonfire I had on a sweater and black slacks and that worked out well. A couple of the other ladies had on dresses, some had on skirts. I seemed to be the only one who had on heels though so I guess you could just put on your favorite pair of flats!

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:03 pm

amasingama wrote:
girlonfire wrote:
wester0 wrote:

That's it, sorry.

Hope that helps.

Girlonfire I had on a sweater and black slacks and that worked out well. A couple of the other ladies had on dresses, some had on skirts. I seemed to be the only one who had on heels though so I guess you could just put on your favorite pair of flats!

Thanks for the advice! :D you better believe i'm wearing flats, especially if there's going to be a walking tour!
I'll probably be going March 1.

Did attending the event affect your decision or feelings about WFU? Like, did it make you want to attend more than you did before?

iambeautiful

Postby iambeautiful » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:22 pm

Hey guys. Does anyone know the requirements for the fletchers scholly?

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:25 pm

iambeautiful wrote:Hey guys. Does anyone know the requirements for the fletchers scholly?

If I recall correctly (and if not I am sure someone else will correct me), you have to stay in the top third of the class to maintain the full fletcher scholly with stipend and books. If you fall below that, you just keep the full tution but don't get the stipend (or the books, I think...).

AfroThunder1212

Postby AfroThunder1212 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:29 pm

MattThiessen wrote:
iambeautiful wrote:Hey guys. Does anyone know the requirements for the fletchers scholly?

If I recall correctly (and if not I am sure someone else will correct me), you have to stay in the top third of the class to maintain the full fletcher scholly with stipend and books. If you fall below that, you just keep the full tution but don't get the stipend (or the books, I think...).

Where is this info found? I only had a mention that I would be considered for a Fletcher in my scholarship email.

iambeautiful

Postby iambeautiful » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Thanks, I actually meant what LSAT and gpa you need to get it.

leemur19

Postby leemur19 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:36 pm

Hey, speaking of scholarships, is anyone aware of when the next round of scholarship decisions will be sent out?

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:38 pm

iambeautiful wrote:Thanks, I actually meant what LSAT and gpa you need to get it.

It doesn't have official requirements. Just the best two candidates, however, one would expect not only a great gpa and lsat but also an awesome ps. If you look at lsn you'll see there are some big contenders. A couple 170s already have full rides I believe. Here is to hoping.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:40 pm

Just stopping by to say </3

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:43 pm

AfroThunder1212 wrote:
MattThiessen wrote:If I recall correctly (and if not I am sure someone else will correct me), you have to stay in the top third of the class to maintain the full fletcher scholly with stipend and books. If you fall below that, you just keep the full tution but don't get the stipend (or the books, I think...).

Where is this info found? I only had a mention that I would be considered for a Fletcher in my scholarship email.

That came directly from either Ms. Nutt or Ms. Cromer (can't remember which of them was saying it) at Scholar's Day last friday.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:46 pm

Barbie wrote:Just stopping by to say </3

:( Well at least it's not making your decision any harder than it already is..

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:59 pm

This came today about the Fletcher Scholarship:

The A.J. Fletcher Law Scholarship Fund

The A.J. Fletcher Law Scholarship Fund was established in 1978 to honor the memory of A. J. Fletcher of Raleigh, North Carolina and was created by his family, and was funded by his son, Floyd Fletcher and the A. J. Fletcher Foundation. Recipients are selected on the basis of academic excellence and for potential for leadership in the legal profession. The scholarship includes full tuition, textbooks, and a moderate stipend. To retain the scholarship, the student must be in the upper quarter of the class.

There are two Fletcher Scholarships awarded in each class, An on-campus visit to meet faculty members and administrators is required. You will attend a luncheon, tour the Worrell Professional Center, attend a class and meet with student leaders and enrolled Fletcher Scholars.

To retain the scholarship for three years, the recipient must remain in the top quarter of the class. If the recipient falls below 1he top quarter they will lose the Fletcher Scholarship, stipend and textbooks, but will retain a full tuition scholarship as long as they remain in the top two-thirds of the class. If the recipient falls below two-thirds, they will keep one-half of a full tuition scholarship.

If you are unable to attend Scholar Open House, it in no way will affect the scholarship you currently hold.

iambeautiful

Postby iambeautiful » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:22 pm

Thanks alot. Did you email them about that's or did they email that to everyone?

mf980

Postby mf980 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:27 pm

iambeautiful wrote:Thanks alot. Did you email them about that's or did they email that to everyone?

The information about the Fletcher Scholarship was sent as an attatchment to an e-mail to the prospective students scheduled to visit the Friday, Feb. 11, Scholarship Open House.

amasingama

Postby amasingama » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:36 pm

Girlonfire I had on a sweater and black slacks and that worked out well. A couple of the other ladies had on dresses, some had on skirts. I seemed to be the only one who had on heels though so I guess you could just put on your favorite pair of flats![/quote]

Thanks for the advice! :D you better believe i'm wearing flats, especially if there's going to be a walking tour!
I'll probably be going March 1.

Did attending the event affect your decision or feelings about WFU? Like, did it make you want to attend more than you did before?[/quote]

The "walking tour" is just of Worrell Professional Center so it's not bad at all. Now a tour of the campus would have been a different story! I had already decided to enroll at Wake Law before the open house because I got an amazing scholarship and I'm familiar with the area, but the open house was definitely the icing on the cake. The staff (dean and others) were sooooo friendly it was a little scary, which made it very easy to have a conversation with them. You're definitely going to enjoy your visit!

bow11

Postby bow11 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:00 pm

Has anyone else decided they're definitely going to Wake? If so, what was the biggest thing that helped you make that decision? I'm asking here because there's not a Wake Class of 2014 thread yet. Wake is definitely in my top three right now, and it's the only one I haven't visited yet. So I'm hoping this weekend will help me decide.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:34 pm

Still waiting on scholarship info........

wester0

Postby wester0 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:43 pm

bow11 wrote:Has anyone else decided they're definitely going to Wake? If so, what was the biggest thing that helped you make that decision? I'm asking here because there's not a Wake Class of 2014 thread yet. Wake is definitely in my top three right now, and it's the only one I haven't visited yet. So I'm hoping this weekend will help me decide.

I'm not positive I'll be attending but I'm definitely leaning towards it. I like the small student body (approximately 7,000), 1/3 of which is grad students. Sections are limited to 4x40 and the writing sections are only 20. Wake is well ranked, seems to be well-respected and was very generous with $$$. Job prospects seem to be pretty good in the Southeast. The admissions people I've met with were very friendly and the students I talked to seemed positive about the school and employment. They didn't promise that everyone who graduated would make $200,000 right out or anything like that. They made it clear that it would take hard work during school and after to secure lucrative employment. However, they seemed optimistic that if you did well you could find work during the summer and after graduation. We met people who were proof of this during the campus tour. The guy that showed us campus was at the bottom of his class and managed to have summer work and a job lined up after graduation. He made sure that we knew that he was the exception rather than the rule and that his success was due to networking and not his academics. There also seemed to be a ton of opportunities with things like moot court and journals. From what I've gathered there is always something to do if you want to get involved. The campus was very nice and Winstom-Salem is cheap and looks to be a pretty decent town. The school has been adding clinics very quickly (they had 2 a few years ago and now they're up to 6) and just recently added a DC externship.

If I think of anything else I'll post it but I think that's a decent start.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:25 pm

SrLaw wrote:Still waiting on scholarship info........

+1

I emailed Ms. Cromer today about when we might hear about them. I'll share what I learn...if they respond.

plt06

Postby plt06 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:05 pm

wester0 wrote:
bow11 wrote:Has anyone else decided they're definitely going to Wake? If so, what was the biggest thing that helped you make that decision? I'm asking here because there's not a Wake Class of 2014 thread yet. Wake is definitely in my top three right now, and it's the only one I haven't visited yet. So I'm hoping this weekend will help me decide.

I'm not positive I'll be attending but I'm definitely leaning towards it. I like the small student body (approximately 7,000), 1/3 of which is grad students. Sections are limited to 4x40 and the writing sections are only 20. Wake is well ranked, seems to be well-respected and was very generous with $$$. Job prospects seem to be pretty good in the Southeast. The admissions people I've met with were very friendly and the students I talked to seemed positive about the school and employment. They didn't promise that everyone who graduated would make $200,000 right out or anything like that. They made it clear that it would take hard work during school and after to secure lucrative employment. However, they seemed optimistic that if you did well you could find work during the summer and after graduation. We met people who were proof of this during the campus tour. The guy that showed us campus was at the bottom of his class and managed to have summer work and a job lined up after graduation. He made sure that we knew that he was the exception rather than the rule and that his success was due to networking and not his academics. There also seemed to be a ton of opportunities with things like moot court and journals. From what I've gathered there is always something to do if you want to get involved. The campus was very nice and Winstom-Salem is cheap and looks to be a pretty decent town. The school has been adding clinics very quickly (they had 2 a few years ago and now they're up to 6) and just recently added a DC externship.

If I think of anything else I'll post it but I think that's a decent start.

I'm not positive I'll be going, but I visited this past Friday and I'm pretty sure Wake is where I'm headed. There aren't a whole lot of schools that are ranked where Wake is and have their class sizes, opportunities with clinical offerings, degree mobility, name recognition, and cost of living.

You do have to sacrifice the alumni network that you might get at a larger state school like UNC, UGA, or UF, but that isn't nearly as big a deal as people like to make it out to be.

The big selling point is the opportunities to get involved, as that is where you will make your worthwhile contacts, gain vital experience, and add discussion points to your resume. Where you went to school will only really matter for that first job, after that it's on you, and that is where the experience you've accumulated will come into play.

One last thing, there are people who try to say that nobody has heard of Wake outside of NC, but that's a bunch of BS. The actual decision makers in plenty of firms and companies know Wake is a good school, both for it's undergrad program and for law school.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Wake's pretty well known in the northeast and is def respected.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:30 am

Wake sounds like a great option, but the price is my concern, and I have a good scholly. I want to try to negotiate once I hear from my other options. Also, the email was sent to around forty five people. Looks like it will be busier than the first one, but not as many tlsers.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:54 pm

App complete, just got the e-mail, anyone know how long Wake takes to render a decision or is it different depending on the applicant?

richis7

Postby richis7 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:58 pm

kkklick wrote:App complete, just got the e-mail, anyone know how long Wake takes to render a decision or is it different depending on the applicant?

I have been in AR 4 weeks as of yesterday. Jenny gave me the impression that generally someone hears within 4 weeks. I think I'm gonna call today and see whats going on and hopefully find out when the next round of admits/waitlists will come out.

From reading this thread it looks like some folks have heard faster/slower than 4 weeks though, so I think most of it does depend on the applicant.

Good Luck!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”