Wake 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mez06

Re: Wake 2011

Postby mez06 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:21 am

charlesxavier wrote: From what I heard the employment prospects are what you make them. If you put in the work you will get a job. If you have mediocre grades and think employers will come after you you're crazy, but if you get your name out there someone will bite.

Yeah, I somewhat agree yet disagree. Still think it is a great program and school, but I felt like some of the students were being too rosey about the employment picture. I think I remembered one of them saying "the top firms in boston come here." Checked NALP and there are 0 boston firms recruiting. The Wake name of course still holds its own beyond the NC borders which is a great plus. --LinkRemoved--

Point to add. The LR girl who finished in top 10% seemed to be rocking it. In-house SA w/Verizon and another at a law firm in Philly. To the champion, go the spoils.

It's pretty close-knit. Stayed around after and talked to a few random students. COL is CHEAP fyi.

wester0

Postby wester0 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:24 am

I didn't bring an umbrella. White dude, blue jacket, shaved head, glasses. The sweatshirt was 75% off at the store for some reason. There seemed to be a fair number of tlsers there. I mentioned the site at lunch and everyone at the table, including the 3l that gave tours, was very familiar.

I think the asw was worth the 8 hour drive and would recommend that anyone considering wake make the trip.

Also, free 2 gb wfu law flash drive + wfu law window cling

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:33 am

Here is the deal breaker, what was for lunch?

mez06

Postby mez06 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:42 am

jdemmitt wrote:Here is the deal breaker, what was for lunch?

Catered food. Lettuce...i mean a salad...chicken was pretty good, squash, bread and butter.

The cheesecake was bomb though. Mmmm with raspberries. A solid B performance. 8)

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:44 am

mez06 wrote:
charlesxavier wrote: From what I heard the employment prospects are what you make them. If you put in the work you will get a job. If you have mediocre grades and think employers will come after you you're crazy, but if you get your name out there someone will bite.

Yeah, I somewhat agree yet disagree. Still think it is a great program and school, but I felt like some of the students were being too rosey about the employment picture. I think I remembered one of them saying "the top firms in boston come here." Checked NALP and there are 0 boston firms recruiting. The Wake name of course still holds its own beyond the NC borders which is a great plus. --LinkRemoved--

Point to add. The LR girl who finished in top 10% seemed to be rocking it. In-house SA w/Verizon and another at a law firm in Philly. To the champion, go the spoils.

It's pretty close-knit. Stayed around after and talked to a few random students. COL is CHEAP fyi.

Yeah, I think they just randomly chose Boston as an example and had no clue. I don't think they were being rosey at all. The student life panel went out of their way to say how much work it took them to gain summer work. My tour guide, Ira, said he was in the bottom 10% and was still able to find respectable summer work by building relationships. But, he made it clear that in this economy you have to be proactive. Especially if your grades aren't good.

edgarfigaro

Postby edgarfigaro » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:46 am

Definitely a worthwhile trip...other than the weather of course. If you can, I recommend you go.

plt06

Postby plt06 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:53 am

mez06 wrote:
wester0 wrote:To the person who wanted to know about the weather - it was shit. Cold and raining. Someone from admissions actually apologized for it. I snapped a few photos, I'll upload them when I get to a computer.

Also, I managed to score a wfu law sweatshirt. It wasn't free but it was 75% off (~11 bucks instead of 45 or so)

Haha were there any other TSLers at the event today!?!? I think I know who you are wester0. Saw you walking out the store with an auburn colored umbrella? I was the black male with the black sweater and slacks on.

Weather was horrible. Which did take away from really viewing the ENTIRE campus. The event was pretty decent. Don't think I learned anything different today that has any weight on my decision making though. Siting in on an EVIDENCE class was pretty interesting and fun. Overall, the staff is incredibly nice and students are down to earth.

Most of my questions were centered around the employment outlook for the school. Asked several people to get a gist of the median. 85% which some translated as a 3.0 or 3.2 FWIW. Same story as most places though. Tough economy = Tough breaks.

That was probably me walking out of the Bookstore with the orange & blue Bucknell colored umbrella, haha. Met yankeesfan in the bookstore and talked zip cars & transportation for a few mins, haha. But seriously, the visit was well worth it. Last year when I went I kind of left with a bad taste in my mouth about some of the students in the program being a little to into being fratty & drinking, but everyone seemed really grounded and pleasant this time. Wake remains at the top of my list, just gotta weigh that against being closer to home...

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:42 pm

wester0 wrote:White dude, blue jacket, shaved head, glasses.

Vibram Five Fingers? Word.

I could only stay for the morning events, but I got to sit in on the con law class with Parker (?), which was great. Enjoyed meeting all the admissions staff, and though the weather was absolutely gross, I thought they put on a really nice event. I wish I could have stayed for the current student panel. I did, however, have a chance to speak at length with Dean Reynolds about the DC externship, which is one of the big draws for me. Even though it's the inaugural year, it seems like it has a good director and some very high quality placements.

Anyone hear any more word re: the Fletcher Scholarships?

wester0

Postby wester0 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:59 pm

Yes fivefingers haha. Damn comfortable and worth the grief everyone gives me.

The student panel was pretty good. Tons of info about what all you can do while in school with regard to moot court, law review (and other journal opportunities), clinical offerings, SBA, the black law student association, etc. It really seemed like we would have a ton of opportunities outside the classroom to learn (and get credit). They definitely made it clear that it took a lot of work to land summer work.

As far as the Fletcher scholarships I have no idea. Are they going to be given out before we pay seat deposits or after?

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:13 pm

Any hot women @ Wake? I went to buffalo the other day to check out SUNY and was not impressed.

wester0

Postby wester0 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:25 pm

A few pages ago there was some confusion about why wake called someone and not the rest of us. I brought it up and found out that they are planning on calling all the scholarship people (don't know about non-scholly admits). If you haven't been called yet you can expect a call in the next few weeks.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:45 pm

wester0 wrote:A few pages ago there was some confusion about why wake called someone and not the rest of us. I brought it up and found out that they are planning on calling all the scholarship people (don't know about non-scholly admits). If you haven't been called yet you can expect a call in the next few weeks.

Odd, I didn't get called just my email. Dang I hate phone calls.

bow11

Postby bow11 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:56 pm

I was supposed to visit this past weekend but couldn't make it. Is anyone else going to visit this coming weekend (Feb 11th)?

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:05 pm

bow11 wrote:I was supposed to visit this past weekend but couldn't make it. Is anyone else going to visit this coming weekend (Feb 11th)?

I will.

wester0

Postby wester0 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:46 pm

Here are some pictures I took after the tour and lunch were over. Sorry about the quality of the shots, the weather was too shitty to walk around so I snapped all of them (with the exception of the indoor ones, obviously) from the car.

Also, the picture with all the cars and the blue sky is from Alabama's campus. I didn't mean to upload it but I'm not familiar enough with imgur to know how to delete it from my album.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Thanks for posting the pics! I'm looking forward to going on the 18th.

brooksrun

Postby brooksrun » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:05 am

Did anyone else think it was awesome that they own houses for students to live in at the study abroad locations? I never studied abroad in undergrad so maybe that's somewhat common, but I haven't heard of other places doing that. The girl that led my tour talked quite a bit about how nice/fancy the houses were.

iambeautiful

Postby iambeautiful » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:46 am

Anymore pics?

bow11

Postby bow11 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:40 am

For those of you who did go this past weekend, what was the dress code? Specifically for girls?

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:13 pm

It was business casual, some of the guys were definitely wearing casual. Idk if it was just me, but the girls seemed a bit dressier than the guys, mostly dress skirts, nice blouses, etc.

wester0

Postby wester0 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:15 pm

iambeautiful wrote:Anymore pics?

That's it, sorry.

bow11 wrote:For those of you who did go this past weekend, what was the dress code? Specifically for girls?

I think someone mentioned this earlier. It seemed to be a touch less than business casual. I'm not sure how that translates into clothes for girls but for guys it seemed to be khakis and a button down. Some of us wore jackets over the button downs and others just wore polos instead. As long as you don't show up in a tube top and a denim mini-skirt I think you'll be fine.

Hope that helps.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:20 pm

Here is a question, how many people were there?

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:22 pm

I would say about 30 admits. Number doesn't include parents that were there.

wester0

Postby wester0 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:24 pm

The itinerary was sent out to 35 people so 30 admits sounds about right + 5-7 parents.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:33 pm

As a girl, I was thinking of wearing a black skirt, tights, ankle boots, cardigan and knit top (like the sort of short sleeve top I'd wear under a sweater at work, not a button down or anything). I figure that might be a touch on the dressed up side, but better safe than sorry.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”