Wake 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
richis7

Re: Wake 2011

Postby richis7 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:03 pm

YankeesFan wrote:Richis7, do you absolutely need a car if you go to wake?

Public transit in Winston is a big joke, so not having a car is a hassle. If you know someone with a car who would let you borrow it, that would be good, otherwise you are pretty well stuck taking cabs or waiting for someone to be ready to go to the grocery store etc. There is not a lot within walking distance to campus, and most of what you can walk to you wouldn't want to (kind of a dangerous area on one side of campus).

Wake is doing the "zip car" program for undergrads, I'm not sure if graduate students are allowed to use the cars or not. There are 2 cars on campus that students are allowed to "rent" for what I think is free, just have to be a legal driver obviously.

I wouldn't want to be in Winston without a car, I guess it is possible to survive without it, but your quality of life would certainly be better if you could drive around, as winston is fairly spread out.

mez06

Postby mez06 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:05 pm

plt06 wrote:
YankeesFan wrote:Anyone else excited for Friday?!

Heck ya! Driving down to Winston-Salem this afternoon after class.

muhaha me too. Skipping work. Leaving at 5:30 am though from wilmington :shock:

If I can charge my camera, I'll def take pics. I don't mind being THAT guy.

waketiger

Postby waketiger » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:57 pm

Anyone have a guess for general dress code for this event tomorrow?

brooksrun

Postby brooksrun » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:59 pm

waketiger wrote:Anyone have a guess for general dress code for this event tomorrow?

I believe someone said business casual. I figure I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed though.

akili

Postby akili » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:01 pm

brooksrun wrote:
waketiger wrote:Anyone have a guess for general dress code for this event tomorrow?

I believe someone said business casual. I figure I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed though.

I went to one of the open houses last year and the consensus was just a tad less dressy than business casual. I felt very underdressed in my jeans, though no one said anything.

tinlawman

Postby tinlawman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:28 pm

richis7 wrote:
YankeesFan wrote:Wake is doing the "zip car" program for undergrads, I'm not sure if graduate students are allowed to use the cars or not. There are 2 cars on campus that students are allowed to "rent" for what I think is free, just have to be a legal driver obviously.

Is this Zipcar or just a car-sharing program run by the school? If it's Zipcar-anyone can rent (don't even have to be in any way connected to the school). Obviously if it's run by the school, opportunity to rent would be more limited.

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:01 pm

tinlawman wrote:
richis7 wrote:
YankeesFan wrote:Wake is doing the "zip car" program for undergrads, I'm not sure if graduate students are allowed to use the cars or not. There are 2 cars on campus that students are allowed to "rent" for what I think is free, just have to be a legal driver obviously.

Is this Zipcar or just a car-sharing program run by the school? If it's Zipcar-anyone can rent (don't even have to be in any way connected to the school). Obviously if it's run by the school, opportunity to rent would be more limited.

We have them at my UG, they are DEFINITELY not free (it's, like, $8 an hour or something like that), but I'm pretty sure anyone registered with Zipcar can use them.

richis7

Postby richis7 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:48 pm

It is actually zip car. Not 100% sure on the pricing, I'll see if I can find out for you guys (I half ass read the email about them way back in august). I've never had to use them having always had a car, but I'm sure someone I know has.

http://www.zipcar.com/wfu/

I think where I got the free thing from was the $35 joining fee offset by a $35 credit, but it looks like you still have to pay something to actually use the car.

FYI about parking on campus- it can be tricky sometimes, not so much this year but in years past they always oversold parking stickers and people were out of luck. There is an off campus lot at first assembly church that a lot of students park in. I've had to pay $500 a year to park on campus, not sure if the same is true for law students, but I'd be shocked if it is any cheaper. Also, parking management loves to give tickets. They take in an ungodly amount of revenue from fines and I don't know anyone who has ever successfully appealed a ticket.

placencia

Postby placencia » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:28 am

It's $500 to park anywhere on campus, and the best lot is actually right next to the law school building. Until this year, parking at the Assembly of God church was free, but now it's $100. The walk from that lot is maybe 3-4 minutes from your car to the law school. I don't know anyone who has paid for a pass for either situation who isn't able to find a space when they need one. Also, there is a shuttle service that runs from a parking lot about a mile away at the football stadium where there is plenty of room, and it's free. The only disadvantage is that you have to arrive at the lot about half an hour or more before your class begins to make sure you get there on time.

In addition, many of the apartment complexes in the surrounding area have shuttle service to Wake Forest, especially the ones that law students usually live at.

mf980

Postby mf980 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:47 am

placencia wrote:It's $500 to park anywhere on campus, and the best lot is actually right next to the law school building. Until this year, parking at the Assembly of God church was free, but now it's $100. The walk from that lot is maybe 3-4 minutes from your car to the law school. I don't know anyone who has paid for a pass for either situation who isn't able to find a space when they need one. Also, there is a shuttle service that runs from a parking lot about a mile away at the football stadium where there is plenty of room, and it's free. The only disadvantage is that you have to arrive at the lot about half an hour or more before your class begins to make sure you get there on time.

In addition, many of the apartment complexes in the surrounding area have shuttle service to Wake Forest, especially the ones that law students usually live at.

Are these the costs of parking passes for commuters, or does this also include the cost for on-campus students?

mf980

Postby mf980 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:48 am

richis7 wrote:
mf980 wrote:
richis7 wrote:Been UR since 1/7

Jenny said I should hear something by next week. I am currently a Senior at Wake, and wake law is my top choice mainly because I want to do the dual degree program JD/Bioethics.

I've lived in Winston-Salem my whole life too, so if anyone has any questions about the area, or general "how's life at Wake Forest" questions I should be able to answer them...

Good luck to anyone else still waiting!

I'm actually pretty curious about the Winston-Salem area.

I currently attend a university in a small city that limits the options of students to bars, a movie theater, a bowling alley or leaving town. The bars, and drinking in general, usually dominate just about every student's social life.

I would like to attend a Law School in an environment that offers more recreational activities, which I've heard is actually a limiting factor in the area. Would I be able to find more interesting opportunities in the Winston-Salem area or, if I do attend Wake Forest, would I be spending another three years surrounded students driven to alcoholism by boredom?

Thanks!

Well, I can't speak to what law students at wake do, but undergrads mostly drink (but I guess this is pretty regular). Wednesday is the during the week drinking time for most people. Down town is pretty neat, lots of art galleries and a new movie theatre that shows only foreign films. There is also an art walk every month.

There are parks you can hang out in, golf courses, etc. The nicest part about wake is the location. You are in between the mountains and the beach. Mountains roughly 2 hours away, beach 4 hours away, so weekend getaways are easy (if you think you'll have time for that).

Wake has a pretty neat music scene, local bands play at shortys (the only actual restaurant on campus) fairly often. There are also lots of good quality student performances as well as other professional musicians that come 1-2 times a semester.

You have D1 sports which provides another good opportunity for recreation, but alcohol is always prevalent before and after the games.

You can find things to do in town, but it is nothing like DC or any other major city for that matter, so drinking/ hanging out with friends is what most people I know do.

Downtown is definitely up and coming, so that is a major plus I think.

It sounds like, from what you wrote, there is some sort of culture in the area, which is nice.

Drinking/hanging out with friends is an obvious activity for students, but I don't want to be forced into that option because there is nothing else to do. :)

richis7

Postby richis7 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:50 am

mf980 wrote:
placencia wrote:It's $500 to park anywhere on campus, and the best lot is actually right next to the law school building. Until this year, parking at the Assembly of God church was free, but now it's $100. The walk from that lot is maybe 3-4 minutes from your car to the law school. I don't know anyone who has paid for a pass for either situation who isn't able to find a space when they need one. Also, there is a shuttle service that runs from a parking lot about a mile away at the football stadium where there is plenty of room, and it's free. The only disadvantage is that you have to arrive at the lot about half an hour or more before your class begins to make sure you get there on time.

Are these the costs of parking passes for commuters, or does this also include the cost for on-campus students?

I am commuting right now and pay $500, but I do kind of park in a "prime" lot so that could be why. It was my understanding though, that for a commuter to get any type of break on the parking fees using an off campus lot was required. For the Law school the first assembly lot really isn't that bad at all. Obviously the one right down the sidewalk from the law school is better, but it is maybe a 7 minute walk from the first assembly to the law building.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:54 pm

Hey everyone!
For those of us that couldn't make it to the event today, we should be getting an email on monday with info about more events and opportunities for new admits.

Can't wait!! Bummed I couldn't be there today :(

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:58 pm

Anyone who was admitted in the last wave receive any info on scholarships yet?? Would it be rude to email admissions and ask???

jwrash

Postby jwrash » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:20 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Anyone who was admitted in the last wave receive any info on scholarships yet?? Would it be rude to email admissions and ask???

I was in the last wave, and emailed to ask about scholarships the next day. No response.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:39 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Anyone who was admitted in the last wave receive any info on scholarships yet?? Would it be rude to email admissions and ask???

I was admitted in early december and didn't get scholarship info until a week ago. I would wait.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:40 pm

jwrash wrote:

I was in the last wave, and emailed to ask about scholarships the next day. No response.

Hmmm....that sucks. They are usually so good about responding to inquiries.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:36 pm

Still app received as of 1/22/11. Wake is definately near the top of my list hoping to have at least a complete file soon.

wester0

Postby wester0 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:56 pm

To the person who wanted to know about the weather - it was shit. Cold and raining. Someone from admissions actually apologized for it. I snapped a few photos, I'll upload them when I get to a computer.

Also, I managed to score a wfu law sweatshirt. It wasn't free but it was 75% off (~11 bucks instead of 45 or so)

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:00 pm

Thanks weter0! I was curious about both. How did you score the sweater?

mez06

Postby mez06 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:43 pm

wester0 wrote:To the person who wanted to know about the weather - it was shit. Cold and raining. Someone from admissions actually apologized for it. I snapped a few photos, I'll upload them when I get to a computer.

Also, I managed to score a wfu law sweatshirt. It wasn't free but it was 75% off (~11 bucks instead of 45 or so)

Haha were there any other TSLers at the event today!?!? I think I know who you are wester0. Saw you walking out the store with an auburn colored umbrella? I was the black male with the black sweater and slacks on.

Weather was horrible. Which did take away from really viewing the ENTIRE campus. The event was pretty decent. Don't think I learned anything different today that has any weight on my decision making though. Siting in on an EVIDENCE class was pretty interesting and fun. Overall, the staff is incredibly nice and students are down to earth.

Most of my questions were centered around the employment outlook for the school. Asked several people to get a gist of the median. 85% which some translated as a 3.0 or 3.2 FWIW. Same story as most places though. Tough economy = Tough breaks.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:18 pm

I was there! and I met plt06 there too.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:35 pm

I went and really enjoyed it. I learned a lot from the current students. From what I heard the employment prospects are what you make them. If you put in the work you will get a job. If you have mediocre grades and think employers will come after you you're crazy, but if you get your name out there someone will bite. It definitely seems like Wake gives you a lot of opportunities to get connected with people that can help you get a job.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:50 pm

I was there today as well. Very good stuff. I was impressed with the number of opportunities there are to get involved. Between the three journals/4-5 clinics/multiple moot court competitions/and several student associations it seems like anyone who wants to get involved will have the chance to.

It was a nasty day today, but the campus is still beautiful and the law building is great. I'd love to end up at Wake!

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:54 pm

MattThiessen wrote:I was there today as well. Very good stuff. I was impressed with the number of opportunities there are to get involved. Between the three journals/4-5 clinics/multiple moot court competitions/and several student associations it seems like anyone who wants to get involved will have the chance to.

It was a nasty day today, but the campus is still beautiful and the law building is great. I'd love to end up at Wake!

I'm glad they recently expanded their clinics. Also, it's great that they have 3 journals because it kind of takes off some pressure. It seems like there is a lot to do and the small size of the school makes those options more accessible. If everything works out I will be at Wake in the fall.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”