Wake 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:49 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:I think the answer is that GMU seems to want higher GPAs and Wake wants high LSATs.


That sounds like a good reason. Anyway, I'm glad I got in to one of the two, they were my top choices. :-)

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby jdemmitt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:00 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
hurricane10 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Did anyone else receive a call from Wake Forest? I didn't answer because I don't answer numbers I don't know, but they didn't leave a message. I only found out it was from Wake by googling the area code which said North Carolina and then I looked to see what Wake's number was on the website. Anyone know what they want? I figured it might be a student calling to see if I had any questions or anything.


I got a call from a Wake student yesterday at like 6 and he just wanted to know if I had any questions... really nice guy and a nice touch by Wake.


I noticed you had been WL by George Mason...seems like a lot of Wake admits were WL at George Mason...they are only a few spots different in rank. I wonder why that is....(not the rank, but why schools in the same rank range would WL those that another accepts.)


I was WL by GMU as well. I spoke with a recruiter who said they focused on economics and I bombed econ, I figured that's why I was WL. I am happier going to wake.

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Wake 2011

Postby Sandro » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:02 pm

missed what seems like the 4th admissions wave since I went UR. Wake's not an option anymore with my recent acceptances unless they came through with a huge scholarship, and lets just say that isnt going to happen.

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby kjadkins » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:07 pm

jdemmitt wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
hurricane10 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Did anyone else receive a call from Wake Forest? I didn't answer because I don't answer numbers I don't know, but they didn't leave a message. I only found out it was from Wake by googling the area code which said North Carolina and then I looked to see what Wake's number was on the website. Anyone know what they want? I figured it might be a student calling to see if I had any questions or anything.


I got a call from a Wake student yesterday at like 6 and he just wanted to know if I had any questions... really nice guy and a nice touch by Wake.


I noticed you had been WL by George Mason...seems like a lot of Wake admits were WL at George Mason...they are only a few spots different in rank. I wonder why that is....(not the rank, but why schools in the same rank range would WL those that another accepts.)


I was WL by GMU as well. I spoke with a recruiter who said they focused on economics and I bombed econ, I figured that's why I was WL. I am happier going to wake.


Interesting, I bombed not one but THREE econ classes (B-, C+, C+) and I still got in. But one of my recommendations was from my fourth econ professor, and I aced that class (A)

I didn't realize they got our ACTUAL transcripts, I just assumed they just got that grade summary thing. When I met with the dean at W&M she had my file in front of her and that was all that was in there (that I noticed).

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby NCtoDC » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Well, I never took an econ class....lol, maybe that is why I apparently got WL. I have a tree-hugger major too, so I definitely don't fit into the conservative scheme they have going. I am very happy with Wake. I LOVED my visit back in November.

User avatar
hurricane10
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:46 am

Re: Wake 2011

Postby hurricane10 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:21 pm

George Mason is a pretty conservative school and my PS was about social justice essentially... that and GMU does place a high level of emphasis on economics, which I got a C on in one of my graduate courses (I sucked at it). I guess I wasn't terribly surprised about the WL but GMU wasn't in the top half of my list and probably wouldn't have been able to afford it regardless so I'm pretty sure they sensed that. I don't take it as an indication that I wasn't qualified since I got into higher ranked schools but rather that it wasn't a great fit.. I think people with similar numbers to me were straight out rejected.

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:30 pm

jdemmitt wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
hurricane10 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Did anyone else receive a call from Wake Forest? I didn't answer because I don't answer numbers I don't know, but they didn't leave a message. I only found out it was from Wake by googling the area code which said North Carolina and then I looked to see what Wake's number was on the website. Anyone know what they want? I figured it might be a student calling to see if I had any questions or anything.


I got a call from a Wake student yesterday at like 6 and he just wanted to know if I had any questions... really nice guy and a nice touch by Wake.


I noticed you had been WL by George Mason...seems like a lot of Wake admits were WL at George Mason...they are only a few spots different in rank. I wonder why that is....(not the rank, but why schools in the same rank range would WL those that another accepts.)


I was WL by GMU as well. I spoke with a recruiter who said they focused on economics and I bombed econ, I figured that's why I was WL. I am happier going to wake.

I was waitlisted by GMU and I have both my Masters and Bachelors in Economics, I guess they just straight up didn't like me or maybe because my focus wasn't in Austrian economics :lol:

User avatar
girlonfire
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby girlonfire » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 pm

hurricane10 wrote:George Mason is a pretty conservative school and my PS was about social justice essentially... that and GMU does place a high level of emphasis on economics, which I got a C on in one of my graduate courses (I sucked at it). I guess I wasn't terribly surprised about the WL but GMU wasn't in the top half of my list and probably wouldn't have been able to afford it regardless so I'm pretty sure they sensed that. I don't take it as an indication that I wasn't qualified since I got into higher ranked schools but rather that it wasn't a great fit.. I think people with similar numbers to me were straight out rejected.


I got dinged from GMU yesterday. I also wrote a PS about social justice and focused on how I want to do advocacy work. I think you're right, theyre an economics school, and conservative, and they don't accept people who wont fit in. Really, I just applied cuz it's so damn affordable.
Glad I got into wake tho!! Actually, I'm *&^%$ing thrilled.

User avatar
jetergrl2ss
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby jetergrl2ss » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:27 pm

girlonfire wrote:
hurricane10 wrote:George Mason is a pretty conservative school and my PS was about social justice essentially... that and GMU does place a high level of emphasis on economics, which I got a C on in one of my graduate courses (I sucked at it). I guess I wasn't terribly surprised about the WL but GMU wasn't in the top half of my list and probably wouldn't have been able to afford it regardless so I'm pretty sure they sensed that. I don't take it as an indication that I wasn't qualified since I got into higher ranked schools but rather that it wasn't a great fit.. I think people with similar numbers to me were straight out rejected.


I got dinged from GMU yesterday. I also wrote a PS about social justice and focused on how I want to do advocacy work. I think you're right, theyre an economics school, and conservative, and they don't accept people who wont fit in. Really, I just applied cuz it's so damn affordable.
Glad I got into wake tho!! Actually, I'm *&^%$ing thrilled.

I got waitlisted from GMU w/ an econ minor (A- avg. in the minor). I wrote part of my PS about working for 2 Democratic congressmen....so....yea. Guess I wouldnt have fit in! Haha

Edit: does anyone know what the difference b/w open house and scholar's day are? Do they do something special for Scholar's Day vs. Open House that would make it more worthwhile?

User avatar
YankeesFan
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby YankeesFan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:33 pm

girlonfire wrote:does anyone know what the difference b/w open house and scholar's day are? Do they do something special for Scholar's Day vs. Open House that would make it more worthwhile?


The only difference between the two is that people that attend Scholar's Day have an extra half-hour of arts and crafts time.

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby jdemmitt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:41 pm

YankeesFan wrote:
girlonfire wrote:does anyone know what the difference b/w open house and scholar's day are? Do they do something special for Scholar's Day vs. Open House that would make it more worthwhile?


The only difference between the two is that people that attend Scholar's Day have an extra half-hour of arts and crafts time.


I checked the itinerary, it is true.

Btw +1 to the person who posted the itinerary.

User avatar
YankeesFan
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby YankeesFan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Anyone else excited for Friday?!

User avatar
SherlockHolmes
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby SherlockHolmes » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:11 pm

YankeesFan wrote:Anyone else excited for Friday?!


I wish I could go :cry: , but planning a wedding has me financially handicapped at the moment.

brooksrun
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:41 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby brooksrun » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:29 pm

YankeesFan wrote:Anyone else excited for Friday?!


I am! I wonder how many people will be there considering it was pretty short notice. Sure doesn't sound like too many TLS people will be there.

richis7
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby richis7 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:35 pm

Been UR since 1/7

Jenny said I should hear something by next week. I am currently a Senior at Wake, and wake law is my top choice mainly because I want to do the dual degree program JD/Bioethics.

I've lived in Winston-Salem my whole life too, so if anyone has any questions about the area, or general "how's life at Wake Forest" questions I should be able to answer them...

Good luck to anyone else still waiting!

mf980
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:38 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby mf980 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:35 am

richis7 wrote:Been UR since 1/7

Jenny said I should hear something by next week. I am currently a Senior at Wake, and wake law is my top choice mainly because I want to do the dual degree program JD/Bioethics.

I've lived in Winston-Salem my whole life too, so if anyone has any questions about the area, or general "how's life at Wake Forest" questions I should be able to answer them...

Good luck to anyone else still waiting!


I'm actually pretty curious about the Winston-Salem area.

I currently attend a university in a small city that limits the options of students to bars, a movie theater, a bowling alley or leaving town. The bars, and drinking in general, usually dominate just about every student's social life.

I would like to attend a Law School in an environment that offers more recreational activities, which I've heard is actually a limiting factor in the area. Would I be able to find more interesting opportunities in the Winston-Salem area or, if I do attend Wake Forest, would I be spending another three years surrounded students driven to alcoholism by boredom?

Thanks!

User avatar
YankeesFan
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby YankeesFan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:57 am

Richis7, do you absolutely need a car if you go to wake?

User avatar
lvsmithmarsh
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:15 am

I'll be there Friday, but only for the morning activities since I could only take a half-day off work.

Hope to see some of you there!

User avatar
smartblonde87
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby smartblonde87 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:57 am

WL by email

User avatar
plt06
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:44 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby plt06 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:25 am

YankeesFan wrote:Anyone else excited for Friday?!


Heck ya! Driving down to Winston-Salem this afternoon after class.

User avatar
pokerlaw
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:33 am

Re: Wake 2011

Postby pokerlaw » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:48 am

YankeesFan wrote:Richis7, do you absolutely need a car if you go to wake?


Yes.

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby jdemmitt » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:08 pm

I want all the gushy details out of you guys, especially weather conditions. So I will be ready for next friday. Also, somebody try to get a free sweater. That is my one goal, walk away with a Wake Law sweater.

DashCubs
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby DashCubs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:13 pm

mf980 wrote:
richis7 wrote:Been UR since 1/7

Jenny said I should hear something by next week. I am currently a Senior at Wake, and wake law is my top choice mainly because I want to do the dual degree program JD/Bioethics.

I've lived in Winston-Salem my whole life too, so if anyone has any questions about the area, or general "how's life at Wake Forest" questions I should be able to answer them...

Good luck to anyone else still waiting!


I'm actually pretty curious about the Winston-Salem area.

I currently attend a university in a small city that limits the options of students to bars, a movie theater, a bowling alley or leaving town. The bars, and drinking in general, usually dominate just about every student's social life.

I would like to attend a Law School in an environment that offers more recreational activities, which I've heard is actually a limiting factor in the area. Would I be able to find more interesting opportunities in the Winston-Salem area or, if I do attend Wake Forest, would I be spending another three years surrounded students driven to alcoholism by boredom?

Thanks!


I live in the Triangle and really like the Winston area. It's not the most happening place, but I've got a bunch of friends from my undergrad years who live there and love it. There's plenty to do in Winston imo and it's hard to beat the cost of living.

DashCubs
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby DashCubs » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:14 pm

jdemmitt wrote:I want all the gushy details out of you guys, especially weather conditions. So I will be ready for next friday. Also, somebody try to get a free sweater. That is my one goal, walk away with a Wake Law sweater.


Weather looking like it may be a bit drab on Friday, like mid 40sish and rainy.

richis7
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: Wake 2011

Postby richis7 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:59 pm

mf980 wrote:
richis7 wrote:Been UR since 1/7

Jenny said I should hear something by next week. I am currently a Senior at Wake, and wake law is my top choice mainly because I want to do the dual degree program JD/Bioethics.

I've lived in Winston-Salem my whole life too, so if anyone has any questions about the area, or general "how's life at Wake Forest" questions I should be able to answer them...

Good luck to anyone else still waiting!


I'm actually pretty curious about the Winston-Salem area.

I currently attend a university in a small city that limits the options of students to bars, a movie theater, a bowling alley or leaving town. The bars, and drinking in general, usually dominate just about every student's social life.

I would like to attend a Law School in an environment that offers more recreational activities, which I've heard is actually a limiting factor in the area. Would I be able to find more interesting opportunities in the Winston-Salem area or, if I do attend Wake Forest, would I be spending another three years surrounded students driven to alcoholism by boredom?

Thanks!


Well, I can't speak to what law students at wake do, but undergrads mostly drink (but I guess this is pretty regular). Wednesday is the during the week drinking time for most people. Down town is pretty neat, lots of art galleries and a new movie theatre that shows only foreign films. There is also an art walk every month.

There are parks you can hang out in, golf courses, etc. The nicest part about wake is the location. You are in between the mountains and the beach. Mountains roughly 2 hours away, beach 4 hours away, so weekend getaways are easy (if you think you'll have time for that).

Wake has a pretty neat music scene, local bands play at shortys (the only actual restaurant on campus) fairly often. There are also lots of good quality student performances as well as other professional musicians that come 1-2 times a semester.

You have D1 sports which provides another good opportunity for recreation, but alcohol is always prevalent before and after the games.

You can find things to do in town, but it is nothing like DC or any other major city for that matter, so drinking/ hanging out with friends is what most people I know do.

Downtown is definitely up and coming, so that is a major plus I think.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 10 guests