Wake 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ginj

Re: Wake 2011

Postby Ginj » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:49 pm

jetergrl2ss wrote:Snooki will be @ Wake Forest tomorrow. Road trip? :D

--ImageRemoved--

Bulls

Postby Bulls » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:53 pm

15k top 2/3 requirement. I didn't expect anything after not hearing from them yesterday. This makes things very interesting!

plt06

Postby plt06 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:07 pm

brose wrote:
Barbie wrote::? I wonder if I should email. Someone said they don't negotiate at all? "Hi, I can't justify paying significantly more to attend Wake over Illinois... can you help meeee?"

Haha that's what I did this morning except with W & M. I thought the email I got was a direct reply to me with a new scholarship offer because of it. I would just email... it can't hurt. I actually thought of you when I got the email because I know you have UIUC w/ scholly.... DO IT!

You don't want to live in Williamsburg, trust me.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:26 pm

Gemini wrote:
Barbie wrote:Yeah I got nothing :(. I am trying to put together an email but have no idea how to word this haha

Maybe you can tell that that you're really interested in attending WF (which may or may not be true lol) but that Illinois offered you XXXXX and unless some kind of assistance can be offered, it is very unlikely you'll be able to attend, due to the financial burden.

:?

Yeah I said something along those lines. I actually was really interested in WF, being a southerner and all! :) I've been fond of WF since I was a kid, because it carries a big name in north Georgia where I am from. I hope my email yields results. I pretty much said I couldn't justify paying $$$$ for WF and $$ for Illinois

hurricane10

Postby hurricane10 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:57 pm

So does anyone have any theories as to why we all got money this cycle? I'm ecstatic but I'm just curious as to what made them change their scholarship guidelines so drastically from last year.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Probably because we are all special snowflakes

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:35 pm

hurricane10 wrote:So does anyone have any theories as to why we all got money this cycle? I'm ecstatic but I'm just curious as to what made them change their scholarship guidelines so drastically from last year.

It seems like there were a lot more applicants in the 160/161 and 3.7 range that applied early this year than in the past few years. Also, does anyone know how the number of applications this year compares to the past few?

Nailjohnj

Postby Nailjohnj » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:14 pm

Congrats to everyone who got great scholarships, I am stoked about my $20k offer with the top 2/3 requirement (and $10K if I don't). That means that I need to be #106 out of 160. Not that I am trying to shoot for the bottom, that is a bar I can make.

Seems like this is probably the most money I am going to get out of this cycle, so it begs the question, does this make Wake as good an option as it seems to be? It seems to me to be a really strong southern school with good ties up and down the eastern seaboard for jobs. And with this amount of money, I can probably get out of school with under $100k in debt. Also, Winston-Salem doesn't seem as bad as everybody makes it out to be. There were some cools areas I saw in my limited time there. Does this all make sense or are these the ravings a man driven mad by this application process?

nillumin

Postby nillumin » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:31 am

Nailjohnj wrote:Congrats to everyone who got great scholarships, I am stoked about my $20k offer with the top 2/3 requirement (and $10K if I don't). That means that I need to be #106 out of 160. Not that I am trying to shoot for the bottom, that is a bar I can make.

Seems like this is probably the most money I am going to get out of this cycle, so it begs the question, does this make Wake as good an option as it seems to be? It seems to me to be a really strong southern school with good ties up and down the eastern seaboard for jobs. And with this amount of money, I can probably get out of school with under $100k in debt. Also, Winston-Salem doesn't seem as bad as everybody makes it out to be. There were some cools areas I saw in my limited time there. Does this all make sense or are these the ravings a man driven mad by this application process?

I'm in the same boat as you right now...it's the only app I have gotten back and the scholarship was a pleasant surprise but has made me antsy as well. I am not sure I'll get even close to the amount of money I got from Wake from schools ranked much lower than it...so Wake has immediately shot up my list....right now, it seems like a real good bet to me...but who knows, i know i sure don't.

plt06

Postby plt06 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:14 am

nillumin wrote:
Nailjohnj wrote:Congrats to everyone who got great scholarships, I am stoked about my $20k offer with the top 2/3 requirement (and $10K if I don't). That means that I need to be #106 out of 160. Not that I am trying to shoot for the bottom, that is a bar I can make.

I'm in the same boat as you right now...it's the only app I have gotten back and the scholarship was a pleasant surprise but has made me antsy as well. I am not sure I'll get even close to the amount of money I got from Wake from schools ranked much lower than it...so Wake has immediately shot up my list....right now, it seems like a real good bet to me...but who knows, i know i sure don't.

Don't worry, it makes sense. If anyone is having trouble with their personal "ranking" of options, I have a crazy BCS style personal ranking system spreadsheet that I came up with that I'd be happy to share. PM me if you'd like the file and an explanation of how to use it. It's totally helped me keep a handle of where I stand with different schools, how scholarships affect where they stand with me, etc.

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:12 am

plt06 wrote:
nillumin wrote:

Don't worry, it makes sense. If anyone is having trouble with their personal "ranking" of options, I have a crazy BCS style personal ranking system spreadsheet that I came up with that I'd be happy to share. PM me if you'd like the file and an explanation of how to use it. It's totally helped me keep a handle of where I stand with different schools, how scholarships affect where they stand with me, etc.

God, I love prospective law students... we're all the same, aren't we? I have a chart I call my "Necessary Conditions" chart, and my husband makes fun of me mercilessly for it.

plug1

Postby plug1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:27 pm

If anyone is going to the shcolar's open house feb 4th and wants to go out the night before PM me. Im looking for some people to go out and see what the social atmosphere is like at wake

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:23 pm

This thread has made me feel so much better. I have a scoreboard of schools and I change them based on research and offers. I got a 20k scholarship from Wake, so now it is my number three.

I am going to the breakfast/lunch on Feb 11. Anyone else going?

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:21 am

Anyone else thinking of going to the scholars on Feb 18? It'd be fun to see some TLSers there.

hurricane10

Postby hurricane10 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:56 am

Feb 18 is the on that I'm tenatively planning on going to... I have some friends in the WS area so I have to double-check the date with the first before RSVP'ing though

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:38 am

hurricane10 wrote:Feb 18 is the on that I'm tenatively planning on going to... I have some friends in the WS area so I have to double-check the date with the first before RSVP'ing though

I'll be at that one as well

nillumin

Postby nillumin » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:16 pm

Feb 18th is what I'll be doing.

k123456

Postby k123456 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:17 am

I'll be there on Feb. 11th! Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:26 am

If I were to get accepted and offered $$ in the next week, I would go to the Feb. 18th one.... :roll:

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:37 am

I'm going the 4th. I have other stuff going on the 11th and 18th. Plus, my wife needs to start job hunting so I need to make a decision asap. Luckily, the fact that I got some totally unexpected $ makes the decision relatively easy. I wonder if many people are going to be there on the 4th, it's pretty short notice for those with jobs and such.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:39 am

Ill be there on the 4th, but than again all I have to do is skip one class so its not that hard for me.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:10 am

Just booked my flights and hotel for the 18th. Hope to see some of you there!

raregem

Postby raregem » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:04 am

Hi all:

I wanted to know for those who were accepted earlier, how long did it take you to receive an admission packet? I was accepted on the 19th, but haven't received anything other than the congratulations email

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:52 am

Raregem - keep an eye out for it going to your permanent address. Mine went there instead of my mailing address. It was just a letter, though.

raregem

Postby raregem » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:55 am

Thanks. Have all of the scholarship information gone out as well? I know folks from the 12/10 wave already received that info. I was wondering if anyone from the later acceptances have received scholly info too.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”