Wake 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MattThiessen

Re: Wake 2011

Postby MattThiessen » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:55 pm

hurricane10 wrote:
iambeautiful wrote:Wow and damn I didn't know Wake was that stingy with money. I was kinda hoping they would be lenient. They seem to like urm tho so we'll see.

I wouldn't call them stingy but it seems like LSAT scores are the sole criteria for merit aid.. correct me if I'm wrong but last year's thread had a bunch of people with high LSAT's and very low GPA's getting significant scholarship money but reverse splitters like myself didn't get anything. Anyone have any insight?

Yeah, LSN (and my memory from sitting in on last years thread) seems to paint a pretty clear picture on this one. 164 and up ='s Scholarship. Some 163's have scholarship offers too. Nothing for under 163 (except URMs).

endoflip

Postby endoflip » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:14 am

Hi all:

Just found out I was accepted in the first round for Wake, and I couldn't be happier! I'm 99% sure that I will be attending in the Fall. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan with the Army (hence the delayed notification of my acceptance) and feel a little out of the loop.

A few questions:

1) Is there any information in the acceptance letter that requires immediate attention? (I have yet to receive the hard copy).

2) Are you aware of any important dates that have been published re: admitted student days, housing tours, orientation, etc.?

3) Is there other important information I might need to know, but didn't know to ask?

I've enjoyed reading over many of the comments on this board, and can't wait to meet you all in the Fall. Until then I wish you all the best!

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:17 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
Barbie wrote:OOhh! I will have to call my parents and see.

Also, does anyone know how successful it would be to negotiate $ from Wake? If they don't offer me anything, I surely can't explain going there over Illinois with the $. My #s last year were very on the edge. Most people did not get anything :( and a few got a good amt (maybe URMs and not reporting so)

I read last year's thread and apparently the office pretty much ignored emails about negotiating scholarships. Some people had to call and tell them their other offers from schools and then Wake eventually got back to them whether not they'd up their scholarship. Some people got increases like $2K/yr so it didn't seem to be very much and it was late in the cycle (like April/May) when they finally offered more money. What helped one person get 2K more was that they had put down deposits at two schools (Wake and UGA, I believe) and told Wake they actually really liked UGA, but would go to Wake if they offered more so Wake did and he accepted. You can try to negotiate before the first seat deposit (April 1), but don't expect any kind of increase until after the first deposit when people start withdrawing. Also, Wake declined to give more money to people who had better offers at better schools (i.e. more money at W&M and W&L, etc.).

TL;DR: Wake isn't great about negotiating scholarships.

Yeah. This is pretty much all true. The folks are really nice overall, but they're not open to negotiating scholarships in the least. I got mine upped by a very small margin, but I more or less had to beg for it even though I had full rides from several schools that were ranked higher, had better placement, etc. They also refused to waive the top 2/3 of the requirement to keep the entire amount of the scholarship. Like I said, they're nice folks, and I'm glad I made the decision to attend Wake. However, don't expect any luck negotiating scholarships or scholarship requirements -- they're pretty rigid with that sort of stuff.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:38 pm

any ideas of how long it takes to get a status checker/email from wake after application? I applied last Tuesday.

redrose11

Postby redrose11 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:39 pm

Just got in via email! First acceptance-feels good :)

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:25 pm

hurricane10 wrote:
iambeautiful wrote:Wow and damn I didn't know Wake was that stingy with money. I was kinda hoping they would be lenient. They seem to like urm tho so we'll see.

I wouldn't call them stingy but it seems like LSAT scores are the sole criteria for merit aid.. correct me if I'm wrong but last year's thread had a bunch of people with high LSAT's and very low GPA's getting significant scholarship money but reverse splitters like myself didn't get anything. Anyone have any insight?

Ya, this was pretty much spot on last year, but I wouldnt call Wake stingy by any means. I believe 42% of incoming 1Ls has a scholarship, and from what I recall, the lowest scholarships were 18.5k/year - which is roughly half tuition. So if you get one, it is going to be substantial.

The best way to get some money from Wake is first to have good numbers. But obviously everyone will not have the 164 lsat that Wake seems to love as the cut-off, so there are other ways to try and get a little something for yourself, such as applying early, showing Wake love, meeting in person with Melanie Nutt, going to the ASD, following up, etc....

Seems like many of you followed the thread from last year, so you know even though I met the 164 requirement, Wake did not give me any scholarship because I applied in mid-January, so I took some serious initiative. You have to look at it as an investment and ask if it is worth it to pull out all the stops for the chance to get a scholarship. For me it was, so I went to ASD and spoke with Melanie Nutt. Then a few days last i followed up with an email, refreshing her memory of who I was and what we had discussed. When the first deposit date came I still put down even though I had yet to get any $. Then, when I went down in June (I think?) to look at potential places to live, I stopped by the admissions office and spoke with Mrs. Nutt again, and thats when I finally got a scholarship. Finally in July I got a huge scholarship from a T2, and was able to use that to increase my initial scholarship - but this was definitely the exception and not the rule.

TL;DR - Persistence pays off, and if they want you and your numbers are close to the threshold, good things can possibly happen.

hurricane10

Postby hurricane10 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:49 pm

Thanks for the insight.. that really helps.

TurkeyDay

Postby TurkeyDay » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:55 pm

redrose11 wrote:Just got in via email! First acceptance-feels good :)

Congratulations!!!! What were your numbers? =)

akili

Postby akili » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:54 pm

endoflip wrote:Hi all:

Just found out I was accepted in the first round for Wake, and I couldn't be happier! I'm 99% sure that I will be attending in the Fall. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan with the Army (hence the delayed notification of my acceptance) and feel a little out of the loop.

A few questions:

1) Is there any information in the acceptance letter that requires immediate attention? (I have yet to receive the hard copy).

2) Are you aware of any important dates that have been published re: admitted student days, housing tours, orientation, etc.?

3) Is there other important information I might need to know, but didn't know to ask?

I've enjoyed reading over many of the comments on this board, and can't wait to meet you all in the Fall. Until then I wish you all the best!

1) Nope! It's just a nice letter from the Dean.
2) If I recall correctly, we will get access to an admitted students site relatively soon that has all dates for ASDs. During the summer Wake also has a "House Hunt" and it's a great way to find housing
3) If you put down a deposit you might get a blanket! Scholarship info will be out later.

Thank you for your service and congrats!

redrose11

Postby redrose11 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:54 pm

Thanks! my numbers are LSAT 167 / LSDAC GPA 3.93

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:20 pm

Went UR today! Seems pretty quick since I didn't get the checker email till the 13th (I can't remember when I went complete, but it was probably right around then)

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:02 pm

I submitted my app almost 2 weeks ago and no acknowledgement yet. Wake up, Wake.

iambeautiful

Postby iambeautiful » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:31 pm

So considering that decisions were sent a week earlier than last year, does anybody think scholarships decisions will also follow that path and come a week early too?
1st round decisions came 12/18 and scholarship notification 01/12, this year 1st round came 12/10, Scholarship....? Any thoughts?

2Serious4Numbers

Postby 2Serious4Numbers » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:34 pm

iambeautiful wrote:So considering that decisions were sent a week earlier than last year, does anybody think scholarships decisions will also follow that path and come a week early too?
1st round decisions came 12/18 and scholarship notification 01/12, this year 1st round came 12/10, Scholarship....? Any thoughts?

I certainly hope so

iambeautiful

Postby iambeautiful » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:43 pm

Me too! I'm hoping for next week. Which would be a week early.

brose

Postby brose » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:33 pm

I don't have any chance at a scholarship do I? 160/3.7 .. I already have 5k a year at W & M but would consider Wake with a hefty scholarship (which I prob won't get looking at past years...)

Edit: I guess my question is, they're pretty rigid in terms of giving money only to those with ## and not softs?

akili

Postby akili » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:42 pm

brose wrote:I don't have any chance at a scholarship do I? 160/3.7 .. I already have 5k a year at W & M but would consider Wake with a hefty scholarship (which I prob won't get looking at past years...)

Edit: I guess my question is, they're pretty rigid in terms of giving money only to those with ## and not softs?

Hey number twin. I applied/was accepted at Wake last year and received no scholarship offers whatsoever. But...I also got WLed at W&M. Stick with it and maybe they'll give you some too? You could maybe negotiate?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:53 pm

brose wrote:I don't have any chance at a scholarship do I? 160/3.7 .. I already have 5k a year at W & M but would consider Wake with a hefty scholarship (which I prob won't get looking at past years...)

From what I hear Wake doesn't give schollies unless you've got really good numbers or URM. You're better off going to WM anyway.

brose

Postby brose » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:54 pm

ran12 wrote:

From what I hear Wake doesn't give schollies unless you've got really good numbers or URM. You're better off going to WM anyway.

I agree. I'm 90% sold on it... I didn't even think I was gonna get in so it's just still sinking in that I have it as an option.

PDL

Postby PDL » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:54 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

plug1

Postby plug1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:40 am

tag

iambeautiful

Postby iambeautiful » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:28 am

PDL wrote:Anyone hear about scholarships yet?

When i called they were out of the office until Jan 4. They said thats when they'll start reviewing for $$.

PDL

Postby PDL » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:18 am

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:38 am

Has anyone heard from Wake this week? I emailed them yesterday and got an auto out of office reply... ?

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:42 am

Sandro777 wrote:Has anyone heard from Wake this week? I emailed them yesterday and got an auto out of office reply... ?

Nope. Was hoping to hear something this week.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”