Wake 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hoos29

Re: Wake 2011

Postby hoos29 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:30 pm

DubPoker wrote:
hoos29 wrote:I dont wanna change subject, and I love the sports talk, GO SOX! but is anyone else here deciding between Wake Forest and UNC? I'm a UNC undergrad but I'm leaning toward Wake cause I'm looking forward to a fresh setting. Anyone else deciding between the 2?

I'm still waiting to hear back from UNC. I would like the choice though.

So ur instate? What type of scholly do you have from WF?[/quote

20 a year. So tuition would basically be equal for unc and Wake. yea I'm in-state, from Charlotte but currently at UNC for undergrad

gogamecocks

Postby gogamecocks » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:31 pm

nillumin wrote:
gogamecocks wrote:I've been spoiled by SEC football for the past 6 years. ACC football isn't gonna be able to feed my fix

I'm jealous man. Having gone to school in Philly, I didn't have a football team so I adopted SEC football....My favorite teams have been Florida (I love Tebow and don't care what people say) and LSU, but I pretty much like all of them....I assume your a Gamecocks fan, I called that sleeper last year....they are really built to make a run in the East this season...I'd like to see them do it.

As for ACC football, it is weak, but it will still be nice to see Florida State/Miami/Tech/UNC come in...they are all capable teams...it's still BCS football and at least it's not the Big East.

Florida... BOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOO BOOOOOO.

BOOOOOOOOOO.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:32 pm

gogamecocks wrote:
nillumin wrote:
gogamecocks wrote:I've been spoiled by SEC football for the past 6 years. ACC football isn't gonna be able to feed my fix

I'm jealous man. Having gone to school in Philly, I didn't have a football team so I adopted SEC football....My favorite teams have been Florida (I love Tebow and don't care what people say) and LSU, but I pretty much like all of them....I assume your a Gamecocks fan, I called that sleeper last year....they are really built to make a run in the East this season...I'd like to see them do it.

As for ACC football, it is weak, but it will still be nice to see Florida State/Miami/Tech/UNC come in...they are all capable teams...it's still BCS football and at least it's not the Big East.

Florida... BOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOO BOOOOOO.

BOOOOOOOOOO.

+1

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:35 pm

hoos29 wrote:20 a year. So tuition would basically be equal for unc and Wake. yea I'm in-state, from Charlotte but currently at UNC for undergrad

If no stips than yeah, you have a decision on your hand. I loved Wake at the ASD, havn't seen UNC yet, if I were you it would come down to how I feel about each place.

I have not been offered anything from Wake, I'm going to ask, but I haven't even gotten into UNC.

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:39 pm

DubPoker wrote:I'm still waiting to hear back from UNC. I would like the choice though.

Same here. Scholly at Wake makes them about the same price. I'm a little turned-off by Carolina just based on the fact that they're taking so long, though.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:51 pm

IN at Wake with 66K.

Looks like I know where I will be attending.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:53 pm

Holy crap this thread blew up while I was at work! It was kind of dying so this is a good thing.

I am a Red Sox fan too!!! This is a result of living in CT for several years and having die hard fans as neighbors.
Baseball is the only sport I have any interest in.

Snapdragon...I am going to agree with everyone and say you stop payment on your UCONN check and come to NC :-)
I decided to choose Wake over FSU this past week.

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:54 pm

SrLaw wrote:IN at Wake with 66K.

Nice, did you just get in and Just get 66k? whats ur LSAT/GPA.

I've been waiting till April 1st to ask for anything, I figured thats when they would be able to reshuffle money

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:55 pm

SteelyDan wrote:
DubPoker wrote:I'm still waiting to hear back from UNC. I would like the choice though.

Same here. Scholly at Wake makes them about the same price. I'm a little turned-off by Carolina just based on the fact that they're taking so long, though.

A lot of people have that problem with Carolina. I did last year. I ended up choosing WF based on a number of factors (and, like you, my scholarship made them almost the same price -- Carolina was a bit cheaper in the long run). Without a doubt, it's one of the best choices I ever made. Visit both schools, and you'll see a huge difference with the people and atmosphere. As cliche as it might sound, people will know you at WF. Professors make it a point to get to know the students. I have two professors from last semester whose classes I hardly ever spoke in, and both of them call me by name and speak to me each time I see them. UNC, on the other hand, seems to treat you like a (non-existant) number based on my interactions with people at the school.

It's really a matter of personal preference if they're the same price. If you like small, personal classes with great people, go to WF. If you like huge classes and having professors that couldn't pick you out of a lineup, go to UNC. (I vote WF :wink: )

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:00 pm

DubPoker wrote:
SrLaw wrote:IN at Wake with 66K.

Nice, did you just get in and Just get 66k? whats ur LSAT/GPA.

I've been waiting till April 1st to ask for anything, I figured thats when they would be able to reshuffle money

167 and a 3.44. Pretty sure I will be attending. I plan on visiting on 4/1.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:11 pm

Good for you SR. Looks like we got an awesome class of 2014. Ya, NC stop working and pay attention to the thread.

I plan on going out mid april to scout apts and jobs for my wife.

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:12 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:A lot of people have that problem with Carolina. I did last year. I ended up choosing WF based on a number of factors (and, like you, my scholarship made them almost the same price -- Carolina was a bit cheaper in the long run). Without a doubt, it's one of the best choices I ever made. Visit both schools, and you'll see a huge difference with the people and atmosphere. As cliche as it might sound, people will know you at WF. Professors make it a point to get to know the students. I have two professors from last semester whose classes I hardly ever spoke in, and both of them call me by name and speak to me each time I see them. UNC, on the other hand, seems to treat you like a (non-existant) number based on my interactions with people at the school.

It's really a matter of personal preference if they're the same price. If you like small, personal classes with great people, go to WF. If you like huge classes and having professors that couldn't pick you out of a lineup, go to UNC. (I vote WF :wink: )

That's the general feeling I've gotten when I visited each of them. I've been holding out to see whether Carolina would offer any money, but based on their TLS thread it looks like offers went out by email this week and I didn't get one. Such is life. I don't really want to live in the People's Republic of Orange County, anyway.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:35 pm

I am still waiting to hear from UNC as well. Unc is close to both of my parents so convenience certainly doesn't hurt. However, wf really seems like a good place.

thatwrites

Postby thatwrites » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:39 pm

SteelyDan wrote:That's the general feeling I've gotten when I visited each of them. I've been holding out to see whether Carolina would offer any money, but based on their TLS thread it looks like offers went out by email this week and I didn't get one. Such is life. I don't really want to live in the People's Republic of Orange County, anyway.

I nearly choked on a gummy bear. I'll have to remember this one.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:44 pm

SteelyDan wrote:That's the general feeling I've gotten when I visited each of them. I've been holding out to see whether Carolina would offer any money, but based on their TLS thread it looks like offers went out by email this week and I didn't get one. Such is life. I don't really want to live in the People's Republic of Orange County, anyway.

Please elaborate on this.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:49 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:

Orange County includes Chapel Hill & Durham... Not really sure about the "People's Republic" part though. I guess Chapel Hill and Durham are filled with a bunch of Marxists? Though I think it's fair to say that the comment was made in jest. :)

SteelyDan

Postby SteelyDan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:52 pm

MattThiessen wrote:
scruffs mcguff wrote:

Orange County includes Chapel Hill & Durham... Not really sure about the "People's Republic" part though. I guess Chapel Hill and Durham are filled with a bunch of Marxists? Though I think it's fair to say that the comment was made in jest. :)

Only partly in jest. I'd venture to guess Carrboro is at least 80% Marxist :)

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:53 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:

I'm Liberal myself. That being said Chapel Hill and Carrboro are pretty left leaning, at least compared to everywhere else i've been. (I live in Raleigh.) I'm definitely not saying its a bad thing, but would you disagree?

nyk4life

Postby nyk4life » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:34 pm

My status bar just updated to "Decision Letter Pending."

Be honest, anyone think this is a good sign? Anyone see this then get accepted? Not very optimistic, sounds a little too ominous too me. :/

iambeautiful

Postby iambeautiful » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:37 pm

If you are accepted I think it would say Congratulation, atleast mine did.

clemson09

Postby clemson09 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:38 pm

nyk4life wrote:My status bar just updated to "Decision Letter Pending."

Be honest, anyone think this is a good sign? Anyone see this then get accepted? Not very optimistic, sounds a little too ominous too me. :/

Im with you, just checked my status... doesnt seem very positive.

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:44 pm

What are the students at Wake like? Is it a "southern" type school?

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:48 pm

I guess waitlist, that is just me. Hope I am wrong and you make it.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:49 pm

SrLaw wrote:

What are the students at Wake like? Is it a "southern" type school?

Define what a southern type school is....

It is a bit preppy but people are friendly.

clemson09

Postby clemson09 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:54 pm

A lot of previous posters with "decision letter pending" were accepted, but I would be pleasantly surprised if that were the case. Wake was a bit of a reach for me and I haven't heard of very many people getting denied / wl yet, so they have to be coming. (Yes I am a pessimist)

Just my two pennies. Keep your fingers crossed.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”