Wake 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
girlonfire

Re: Wake 2011

Postby girlonfire » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:31 pm

nillumin wrote:I play poker as well....more in high school than college...i always seem to lose money but i like to play, especially on a nice table.

*My decision is going to come down to wake/villanova, i have similar scholarships at both...not sure what i'm going to do as of yet, i'm leaning towards wake and will be sending my check on tomorrow.

sounds like a set-up ;)

if it were me, I'd pick wake of VNova... I'm between WFU, Uconn, & penn State... and leaning heavily towards wake. Visited & loved it, affordable COL vs a bigger city, and friendly ppl...
Pm me if u want more info or WFU pics from my visit.
Last edited by girlonfire on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:33 pm

It came down to wake, nova and seton hall for me and I didn't pick nova because I felt like I would only get employed in philly. I thought wake gave me much more mobility and even though my scholarship to wake is a little smaller the reduced COL makes them almost the same.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:34 pm

YankeesFan wrote:It came down to wake, nova and seton hall for me and I didn't pick nova because I felt like I would only get employed in philly. I thought wake gave me much more mobility and even though my scholarship to wake is a little smaller the reduced COL makes them almost the same.

i went to Seton Hall UG for a year and hated it. I hated it so much I didn't even apply to the LS, despite being an "autoadmit" & probably getting decent $$ from them...

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:42 pm

Just withdrew and freed up 60K. Good luck!

jetergrl2ss

Postby jetergrl2ss » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:52 pm

No luck on scholly negotiation. I emailed both Melanie Nutt and Janet Croemer. I didn't really have any other great schollys to leverage so I just said something about finances being an important pt of my decision. Melanie emailed me back by the end of the week saying that they will look into redistributing funds after April 1 but that there are obviously no guarantees. I would assume they'll start by trying to give people who haven't gotten any money a little something. Oh well... it was worth a shot.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:58 pm

Anyone try to get rid of stipulations?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:06 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Anyone try to get rid of stipulations?

They are notoriously hard with scholarship negotiating. If you don't have another offer on teh table, you can forget about it. This is because they are so generous in teh first place- 50% of students get schollies.

I don't know how much luck you'll have getting rid of stip - top 2/3rds is one of the best stips around.

I was able to get an increase of 2k/year on my scholly, but only after much contact with them and because I had a competing offer for georgia and put down the first deposit for georgia and refused to put down the binding deposit for wake.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:13 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:

They are notoriously hard with scholarship negotiating. If you don't have another offer on teh table, you can forget about it. This is because they are so generous in teh first place- 50% of students get schollies.

I don't know how much luck you'll have getting rid of stip - top 2/3rds is one of the best stips around.

I was able to get an increase of 2k/year on my scholly, but only after much contact with them and because I had a competing offer for georgia and put down the first deposit for georgia and refused to put down the binding deposit for wake.

was the offer from geogia the same amount of cash or do you have the in-state card to play?

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:53 pm

this is probably a stupid question but,

how did you guys find out about stips for ur scholly? Were they in the initial email?? Mine didn't have any, so I'm assuming that means no stips but is that common? I thought most do have stips...

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:56 pm

girlonfire wrote:this is probably a stupid question but,

how did you guys find out about stips for ur scholly? Were they in the initial email?? Mine didn't have any, so I'm assuming that means no stips but is that common? I thought most do have stips...

It means there are none. That's how mine is, the way it was worded it sounds like I get it as long as I'm enrolled.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:05 pm

even with the top 2/3 stip i wonder why i didnt receive the no stip scholly

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:07 pm

I will be honest. I am worried about section stacking. Having them put all the nonscholly and nonstips in one section, and the rest of us in others.

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:15 pm

jdemmitt wrote:I will be honest. I am worried about section stacking. Having them put all the nonscholly and nonstips in one section, and the rest of us in others.

apparently they don't stack, but thats just what i have gathered from TLS -- lets hope they are right

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:41 pm

jdemmitt wrote:I will be honest. I am worried about section stacking. Having them put all the nonscholly and nonstips in one section, and the rest of us in others.

There's no section stacking. We're all pretty evenly distributed. There are going to be smart people in every class regardless of whether or not they have scholarships. There are plenty of things to worry about at any school, but section stacking at Wake isn't one of them.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:29 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:

There's no section stacking. We're all pretty evenly distributed. There are going to be smart people in every class regardless of whether or not they have scholarships. There are plenty of things to worry about at any school, but section stacking at Wake isn't one of them.

my thoughts exactly. I know those with a scholarship near the bottom, and those without near the top......

Nailjohnj

Postby Nailjohnj » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:37 pm

girlonfire wrote:
nillumin wrote:I play poker as well....more in high school than college...i always seem to lose money but i like to play, especially on a nice table.

*My decision is going to come down to wake/villanova, i have similar scholarships at both...not sure what i'm going to do as of yet, i'm leaning towards wake and will be sending my check on tomorrow.

sounds like a set-up ;)

if it were me, I'd pick wake of VNova... I'm between WFU, Uconn, & penn... and leaning heavily towards wake. Visited & loved it, affordable COL vs a bigger city, and friendly ppl...

It looks like I am going to be depositing and attending Wake (barring a last minute acceptance AND scholly from a peer school) so I will be looking for poker buddies as well. I lose almost every hand I play but keep buying back in up until I reach the max # of buy ins. I just like playing for the fun and friendship. That being said, I propose a $500 buy in game on the day that we get our student loan checks... any takers? :D :lol:

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:39 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

was the offer from geogia the same amount of cash or do you have the in-state card to play?

The offer from georgia was tuition equalization- I would have had to pay in-state uga rates. I think it came down to uga being like 3.5k cheaper a year.

leidice

Postby leidice » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:23 am

So this may be a stupid question, but is the letter of intent only supposed to signify your intent to matriculate in the fall? Or does it also imply that I will withdraw from my other acceptances/pending/WLs now (ie: that I won't double deposit, etc).

edgarfigaro

Postby edgarfigaro » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:13 am

Just withdrew, should free up some money. Good luck at Wake guys, it was a really difficult decision not to attend.

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:22 am

All I want in life is to get off this waitlist!

And then after I am accepted I will start wanting more things, but for now, that would do :-\

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:34 am

irishvt14 wrote:All I want in life is to get off this waitlist!

And then after I am accepted I will start wanting more things, but for now, that would do :-\

with your numbers you should have a real shot at getting off it.. don't lose hope

nillumin

Postby nillumin » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:42 am

girlonfire wrote:

sounds like a set-up ;)

if it were me, I'd pick wake of VNova... I'm between WFU, Uconn, & penn... and leaning heavily towards wake. Visited & loved it, affordable COL vs a bigger city, and friendly ppl...

Dang, Wake over Penn. I am going to Nova's admitted student's day this weekend, I visited Wake last weekend and actually really liked it. Not like anything I've ever experienced before though since I spent the last 5 years living in the center of Philadelphia...my major worry is that there won't be as much to do or the difference in lifestyle will be too much for me to handle...but maybe I'll like the change of pace who knows. Right now I'm leaning towards Wake.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:47 am

nillumin wrote:
girlonfire wrote:

sounds like a set-up ;)

Dang, Wake over Penn. I am going to Nova's admitted student's day this weekend, I visited Wake last weekend and actually really liked it. Not like anything I've ever experienced before though since I spent the last 5 years living in the center of Philadelphia...my major worry is that there won't be as much to do or the difference in lifestyle will be too much for me to handle...but maybe I'll like the change of pace who knows. Right now I'm leaning towards Wake.

I think (hope) that would be Penn State.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:57 am

charlesxavier wrote:
nillumin wrote:
girlonfire wrote:

sounds like a set-up ;)

I think (hope) that would be Penn State.

:lol: yeah.. shoulda specified!

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:00 pm

nillumin wrote:
girlonfire wrote:

sounds like a set-up ;)

I meant penn state :lol: :oops:
Anyway, the only recent LS graduate I know (cardozo '08) said she picked going to LS in the city cuz she wanted to have things to do.. but never had time to do anything anyway... she said location is actually only minimally impotant as far as recreation goes, and that if she could do it over, she'd pick a place with milder winters.
this advice has seriously hit home with me!! hope it helps u!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”