Wake 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SunnyBee

Re: Wake 2011

Postby SunnyBee » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:46 pm

waketiger wrote:
jetergrl2ss wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
bergg007 wrote:I was really impressed with the Wake Law Admitted students day today. They may have won me over.

Which class did you go to?

I want to Con Law. You?

Put a deposit down @ Crown Polo today... before I even sent my seat deposit lol

FYI for those looking for appts and thinking about Crowne developments: the staff at Crowne Oaks told us it was mostly UG (and frat/sorority types mostly), while Polo is smaller and mostly grad and law students. I went to Crowne Polo after and liked it a lot more. Similar floor plans but it was immediately obvious that it was a lot quieter in that development. Another one of the complexes is where the jocks live but I don't remember which one.

There isn't a whole lot of difference between Crowne Oaks, Polo and Park. They tend to attract the exact same crowd.

I've heard a lot of great things about Crowne Polo from current law students. It's where I'll probably end up, but I'd like to find a roommate first.

labballin24

Postby labballin24 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:07 pm

waketiger wrote:
jetergrl2ss wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
bergg007 wrote:I was really impressed with the Wake Law Admitted students day today. They may have won me over.

Which class did you go to?

I want to Con Law. You?

Put a deposit down @ Crown Polo today... before I even sent my seat deposit lol

FYI for those looking for appts and thinking about Crowne developments: the staff at Crowne Oaks told us it was mostly UG (and frat/sorority types mostly), while Polo is smaller and mostly grad and law students. I went to Crowne Polo after and liked it a lot more. Similar floor plans but it was immediately obvious that it was a lot quieter in that development. Another one of the complexes is where the jocks live but I don't remember which one.

There isn't a whole lot of difference between Crowne Oaks, Polo and Park. They tend to attract the exact same crowd.

Which one is the closest to campus? That's probably gonna make my decision since I'll probably be biking/walking it.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:19 pm

Quick, somebody find me some married housing. Go!

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:32 pm

labballin24 wrote:
Which one is the closest to campus? That's probably gonna make my decision since I'll probably be biking/walking it.

Crowne Oaks is probably your best best if you want to walk/bike. I know a couple of folks who live there and walk everyday. It's probably 1/2-3/4 mile each way.

iambeautiful

Postby iambeautiful » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:40 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Quick, somebody find me some married housing. Go!

+1

labballin24

Postby labballin24 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:54 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
labballin24 wrote:

Crowne Oaks is probably your best best if you want to walk/bike. I know a couple of folks who live there and walk everyday. It's probably 1/2-3/4 mile each way.

Well, thank you. That's probably where I will be living. Just need to find a roommate before I make it official.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:36 am

iambeautiful wrote:

+1

My husband and I went and toured the Corners at Crystal Lake and Carolina Woods. Crystal Lakes has a beautiful property with two ponds (one stocked with bass for fishing), a dog park, a nice pool, and I'm sure they have a workout facility too. The staff there was great. They only had a one bedroom to show...and it was TINY! It was nice however. It is only about a mile from the main campus entrance.

Carolina Woods is about 1/2 mile further and on a side road off Reynolda Rd. They had a spacious two bedroom with a huge walk in closet in the main bedroom for only 595! They are pet friendly too. The unit we wanted to see, obviously wasn't available as it is the most popular. They have a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath split level. The entry level is a half bath and laundry room, then you either go up or down stairs (depends on unit) to the living room and kitchen, then you go up or down stairs to get to the bedrooms. This is also only 595!

iambeautiful

Postby iambeautiful » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:48 am

NCtoDC wrote:
iambeautiful wrote:

+1

My husband and I went and toured the Corners at Crystal Lake and Carolina Woods. Crystal Lakes has a beautiful property with two ponds (one stocked with bass for fishing), a dog park, a nice pool, and I'm sure they have a workout facility too. The staff there was great. They only had a one bedroom to show...and it was TINY! It was nice however. It is only about a mile from the main campus entrance.

Carolina Woods is about 1/2 mile further and on a side road off Reynolda Rd. They had a spacious two bedroom with a huge walk in closet in the main bedroom for only 595! They are pet friendly too. The unit we wanted to see, obviously wasn't available as it is the most popular. They have a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath split level. The entry level is a half bath and laundry room, then you either go up or down stairs (depends on unit) to the living room and kitchen, then you go up or down stairs to get to the bedrooms. This is also only 595!

Thanks alot! That's so was awesome of you.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:01 am

iambeautiful wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
iambeautiful wrote:

+1

Thanks alot! That's so was awesome of you.

No Problem. Also, Carolina Woods has NO undergrads. Crystal Lakes didn't say specifically that they didn't have any, but she said they don't have as many WF students as you would think considering their location. Both properties seemed nice and quiet.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:21 am

NctoDc you get a cookie.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:30 am

NCtoDC you are full of awesome :) thanks for the reviews!

fish tacos

Postby fish tacos » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:01 pm

Any update on Fletcher Scholarships?

Relientkate

Postby Relientkate » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:07 pm

snapdragon wrote:NCtoDC you are full of awesome :) thanks for the reviews!

+1

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:14 pm

fish tacos wrote:Any update on Fletcher Scholarships?

I was told we would know yesterday. I think I may email them and offer to take one of the scholarships. Just to be helpful.

iambeautiful

Postby iambeautiful » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:11 pm

jdemmitt wrote:
fish tacos wrote:Any update on Fletcher Scholarships?

I was told we would know yesterday. I think I may email them and offer to take one of the scholarships. Just to be helpful.

+1

TammyC.Hsu

Postby TammyC.Hsu » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:23 am

NCtoDC wrote:
iambeautiful wrote:

+1

I heard that Carolina Woods feels old and has had a number of break-ins in recent years. Did you feel that way when you were visiting? I'm considering that complex for its cost effectiveness. But I'm also looking at renting in Deacon Ridge condominiums--another primarily grad/law students or the Nissen downtown. I drove around Winston Salem, and the entire town seemed so quiet that downtown might be the only place that doesn't close down by 7pm. (But that's just my conjecture).

I went to ASD on 3/18, and they definitely won me over. Great campus, very accessible faculty/staff, and everyone I met was so friendly. I attended the Contracts course taught by Prof Miles Foley, and it looked like everyone had a MacBook Pro. Is there a rationale behind that--as in a Mac subsidy or laptop allocation in the first year budget?

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:07 pm

TammyC.Hsu wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
iambeautiful wrote:

+1

I heard that Carolina Woods feels old and has had a number of break-ins in recent years. Did you feel that way when you were visiting? I'm considering that complex for its cost effectiveness. But I'm also looking at renting in Deacon Ridge condominiums--another primarily grad/law students or the Nissen downtown. I drove around Winston Salem, and the entire town seemed so quiet that downtown might be the only place that doesn't close down by 7pm. (But that's just my conjecture).

I went to ASD on 3/18, and they definitely won me over. Great campus, very accessible faculty/staff, and everyone I met was so friendly. I attended the Contracts course taught by Prof Miles Foley, and it looked like everyone had a MacBook Pro. Is there a rationale behind that--as in a Mac subsidy or laptop allocation in the first year budget?

Carolina Woods is definitely older. They are a hideous sunshine yellow on the outside. They have renovated about half of their kitchens to the black appliances and dark counter tops. They do allow you to paint accent walls...or for 25 per wall they will paint it for you! The leasing agent said she lives in one of the apartments. It was comforting to me to see that a police officer lives in the complex. It definitely wasn't glamorous like the Crowne apartments, but I really liked it. All the units have a patio or balcony. It is located behind the Roses shopping center and I did see some less than desirables walking on the street the apartments are on. There wasn't anyone outside at the apartment complex, other than the maintenance staff. I didn't feel unsafe. I have lived in an apartment that was in a pretty seedy neighborhood before.

I didn't check out the Nissen building but I hear it is kind of expensive...albeit awesome. I love loft type buildings where each unit is unique.

I was in the Con Law class with Prof. Parker. He is apparently one of the few that do not use socratic method. It was a big long lecture...one of the students actually said he livened it up for us :-/

In my financial aid email, it said that you can get COA increase to account for a new computer if you ask.

iambeautiful

Postby iambeautiful » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:56 am

Fletchers email went out, ofcourse I didn't get it :(

millardtime

Postby millardtime » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:57 am

Just got an email, and no Fletcher for me. 100% no surprise there. With my numbers, I'm VERY happy with the 20k/year they gave me.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:59 am

Looks like my sending naked pictures didn't help. Sigh

mez06

Postby mez06 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:00 am

For those who tried to negotiate scholly offers, I don't think anything will come of it. At least it hasn't for me. Don't think I will be attending :x

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:11 am

I need to ask if my scholarship adjusts for raises in tuition.

iambeautiful

Postby iambeautiful » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:55 am

So did anyone on tls got one of the schollys?

redblack11

Postby redblack11 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:53 am

Just withdrew. There's one more spot open and $45,000 back on the table.

Good luck.

jetergrl2ss

Postby jetergrl2ss » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:03 pm

redblack11 wrote:Just withdrew. There's one more spot open and $45,000 back on the table.

Good luck.

Just set a scholly negotiation email. Not expecting anything but maybe they'll throw me a couple grand of your cashola! :-p

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”