Wake 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
PirateCap'n

Re: Wake 2011

Postby PirateCap'n » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:57 pm

hurricane10 wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:
leidice wrote:Does anyone know if they section stack??

Can you clarify your question ?

She meant does Wake place scholarship recipients in the same section so that students will have a higher chance of losing their scholarships after the grading curve. I don't think any school will admit to doing it but there are some that are rumored to do it to free up more scholarship money for the incoming class.

I wonder if any of the current students would know this?

Current 1L here. Wake doesn't section stack. I think it was mentioned in the "discuss your school" forum, but there seems to be a fairly even split of scholarship recipients among the sections. There are always some folks that are "smarter" in some sections than in others, but I think that's just the random draw of dividing folks into sections. As far as I know, most folks (including those on scholarships) are happy with their sections and feel that they are fairly divided for the most part.

jetergrl2ss

Postby jetergrl2ss » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:32 am

hurricane10 wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:
leidice wrote:Does anyone know if they section stack??

Can you clarify your question ?

She meant does Wake place scholarship recipients in the same section so that students will have a higher chance of losing their scholarships after the grading curve. I don't think any school will admit to doing it but there are some that are rumored to do it to free up more scholarship money for the incoming class.

I wonder if any of the current students would know this?

I posted a question on the "Discuss your law school" forum and was told that Wake does not section stack. Scholarship recipients are pretty evenly spread out.

TammyC.Hsu

Postby TammyC.Hsu » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:07 am

Anyone going to ASD on 3/18?

denny.crane

Postby denny.crane » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:39 am

TammyC.Hsu wrote:Anyone going to ASD on 3/18?

Me!

gogamecocks

Postby gogamecocks » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:42 am

Driving up from Columbia, SC that morning. I get to leave my house around 5am, I'll be the one asleep on my feet.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:39 am

denny.crane wrote:

Me!

Me too!

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:45 am

Still no word on the Fletcher's?

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:45 am

rivkah wrote:I'm sending in my loci tomorrow, and then hopefully going to visit on Friday to try and get face time with an admissions officer. I really really want to get off this waitlist and send in my deposit right away, does anyone have any other suggestions that don't border on harassment? Thanks!

Not sure that coming this Friday would be the best idea since it is a scheduled ASD; the admissions team may not be accessible. The event is over at 2pm though. Maybe you should plan on coming around that time. I think that a face to face would be a great way to put your name in their heads for an acceptance :-) Good Luck!

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:35 pm

MattThiessen wrote:Still no word on the Fletcher's?

They said we would know by tomorrow. Barring a surprise call today, fml.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:51 pm

Anybody else get the FAFSA aid e-mail? Not sure when the new tuition figures came out (so it may be old news to everyone else), but tuition for 2011-2012 is $38k, which is approximately a $1500 increase from last year I believe. http://admissions.law.wfu.edu/about/tuition/

brose

Postby brose » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:53 pm

I got it... boo.

vermlaw

Postby vermlaw » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:55 pm

MattThiessen wrote:Anybody else get the FAFSA aid e-mail? Not sure when the new tuition figures came out (so it may be old news to everyone else), but tuition for 2011-2012 is $38k, which is approximately a $1500 increase from last year I believe. http://admissions.law.wfu.edu/about/tuition/

I just go that too. That's a pretty significant jump in tuition. Hoping that some of the cost of living numbers are inflated a bit.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:02 pm

Does anybody know the format that they want us to email it back in? It's kind of odd because you have to copy and paste it.

Also, the "I will not use these loan proceeds for non-educational related expenses" is kind of vague. "Related" just means necessary expenses that you can't afford while in school (essentially the items factored into the student budget), right?

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:14 pm

I sent in a scholarship renegotiation e-mail and have yet to hear anything.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:28 pm

SrLaw wrote:I sent in a scholarship renegotiation e-mail and have yet to hear anything.

Pretty sure it has been said a thousand times ITT that they don't negotiate. I doubt you will ever get a response.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:36 pm

vermlaw wrote:
MattThiessen wrote:Anybody else get the FAFSA aid e-mail? Not sure when the new tuition figures came out (so it may be old news to everyone else), but tuition for 2011-2012 is $38k, which is approximately a $1500 increase from last year I believe. http://admissions.law.wfu.edu/about/tuition/

I just go that too. That's a pretty significant jump in tuition. Hoping that some of the cost of living numbers are inflated a bit.

I was just doing some figuring with those numbers and they appear to be very generous with the COL numbers. If you are going to be rooming with others it is even more significant.

nillumin

Postby nillumin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:55 pm

If I end up at Wake I think I would ideally want to live in the Crowne Apartments in a double seeing how it would be significantly less than a single. Does Wake have any kind of forum or process for hooking up potential roommates? Or would that be done on a site like this?

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:57 pm

nillumin wrote:If I end up at Wake I think I would ideally want to live in the Crowne Apartments in a double seeing how it would be significantly less than a single. Does Wake have any kind of forum or process for hooking up potential roommates? Or would that be done on a site like this?

I am pretty sure they host a house hunt in the summer. This could cause a problem if you currently live far away.

amasingama

Postby amasingama » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:59 pm

nillumin wrote:If I end up at Wake I think I would ideally want to live in the Crowne Apartments in a double seeing how it would be significantly less than a single. Does Wake have any kind of forum or process for hooking up potential roommates? Or would that be done on a site like this?

It states on the website that there will be a housing/roommate list on the website after March 20th so that would be a good place to start.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:01 pm

amasingama wrote:

It states on the website that there will be a housing/roommate list on the website after March 20th so that would be a good place to start.

Just try and pick up strangers on TLS to room with. If I can't make house hunt, that's my plan.

leidice

Postby leidice » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:06 pm

snapdragon wrote:
amasingama wrote:

Just try and pick up strangers on TLS to room with. If I can't make house hunt, that's my plan.

hmmm you sound like a risk-taker. We could make good roommates! haha (not that I'm a risky person to room with)

nillumin

Postby nillumin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:38 pm

NCtoDC wrote:I am pretty sure they host a house hunt in the summer. This could cause a problem if you currently live far away.

I'm from Philly so that probably would be a problem.

amasingama wrote:It states on the website that there will be a housing/roommate list on the website after March 20th so that would be a good place to start.

This sounds ideal to me.

As far as picking a roommate on TLS based on icons/posts, I don't know, I'm not that much of a risk-taker to be honest. I have roomed with the same guys for my entire span as an undergraduate, so I find the whole process of selecting a new roommate daunting.

The housing options look stellar down south though compared to up here. My roommates and I pay over 2,400 a month (not including utilities/cable/parking) for a 2-bedroom place that isn't even half as nice as those crowne apartments I was looking at....and we got a good deal on our place.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:50 pm

leidice wrote:
hmmm you sound like a risk-taker. We could make good roommates! haha (not that I'm a risky person to room with)

I like sour patch kids and names that sound like, but are not, lettuce.

jetergrl2ss

Postby jetergrl2ss » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:09 pm

Got the financial aid email today. Just curious: did anyone receive any need-based grants? I was sort of hoping for something after getting my financial aid package from Loyola Chicago :(

Relientkate

Postby Relientkate » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:29 pm

I'm kind of fearful to get a roommate the first year, because of the potential for roommate problems distracting from studies and adding stress. Plus, I have a dog and my husband will be visiting me about every other weekend, and that might get awkward.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”