Wake 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
iambeautiful

Re: Wake 2011

Postby iambeautiful » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:31 pm

leidice wrote:
iambeautiful wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:
leidice wrote:Update: I called Melanie today, she said for those of us who haven't received scholly info yet, that we should wait until about the 15th to hear anything because they are waiting on people to withdraw.

March or April?

Im guessing its April, Right leidice?

I actually assumed she meant March when she said that (or else probably would have said April 15 if she meant April) Waiting until Apr 15 wouldn't make much sense as people would then have less than a day to send deposits in, or else take huge gambles on hoping to receive $ haha.

Oh ok, sweet!

gogamecocks

Postby gogamecocks » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:03 pm

In via email today! This shoots Wake right to the top! (I've only heard back from one other school, haha)

endoflip

Postby endoflip » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:56 am

Is it strange my status checker reverted back to "application complete" from "congratulations!"?

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:23 am

leidice wrote:Update: I called Melanie today, she said for those of us who haven't received scholly info yet, that we should wait until about the 15th to hear anything because they are waiting on people to withdraw.

This is exciting!

mf980

Postby mf980 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:39 am

endoflip wrote:Is it strange my status checker reverted back to "application complete" from "congratulations!"?

No, that happened in January to some of us after we were accepted. It seemed to be an indication that we had received scholarships (which came a week or two after the acceptance). I don't know if that's the case now though (unless some scholarship money has been cleared up).

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:41 am

mf980 wrote:
endoflip wrote:Is it strange my status checker reverted back to "application complete" from "congratulations!"?

No, that happened in January to some of us after we were accepted. It seemed to be an indication that we had received scholarships (which came a week or two after the acceptance). I don't know if that's the case now though (unless some scholarship money has been cleared up).

EEEEKKKKK!! :D :!: I hope this is the case. Mine has gone back to Application Complete too!

leemur19

Postby leemur19 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:53 am

NCtoDC wrote:
mf980 wrote:

EEEEKKKKK!! :D :!: I hope this is the case. Mine has gone back to Application Complete too!

Mine has always said both "Application Complete" and "Congratulations!". Was one of those removed for those of you that have seen changes?

leidice

Postby leidice » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:29 am

NCtoDC wrote:
mf980 wrote:

+1 Me too!!!

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:35 am

leidice wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
mf980 wrote:

+1 Me too!!!

+1 - Above median GPA and above 75th LSAT.

FourOnTheFloor

Postby FourOnTheFloor » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:33 pm

I got an acceptance email from Wake yesterday. It was actually near the top of my list, because I love NC and think it would be a great place to practice law. If it's true that they're out of scholarship money, though, I may have to decline their acceptance. I can't afford to pay sticker, and I'm not too inclined to put down tuition deposits in the hope that there will be money in the future. Guess I'll find out when the letter shows up in my mailbox.

IBThatGuy

Postby IBThatGuy » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:05 pm

In advance: Don't read this as a slam; it really isn't intended as such.

I'm a bit confused about something: When forumites write that they can't afford to pay sticker, what exactly do they mean?

The vast majority of law-school students have to take out loans to attend any school that doesn't offer a full ride. It's an enormous expenditure, and it generally prevents one from obtaining employment. [Loss of money] plus [prevention of gaining money] equals loss of money.

The question is therefore simply a matter of how much of a loan one is willing to take on. Wake or UNC; Pitt or Penn State; W&L or W&M; the net result is debt. That is, properly speaking, most of us can't really afford to go wherever it is we do go; we're just betting on being able to make enough, after graduating, to be able to justify the outlay of huge amounts of money.

It seems like the better wording would be something like, "I'm not willing to pay sticker." For instance, it would cost roughly $55,000 more to go to Wake than to UNC. What is meant is that, with no scholarship money at either, the student is not willing to pay the extra $55,000 to attend Wake Forest.

Am I missing something?

FourOnTheFloor

Postby FourOnTheFloor » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:21 pm

I didn't take it as any kind of slam. In my case, what it means is that I've gotten into other schools with reasonably substantial scholarship money. As much as I think I'd enjoy Wake, I'm not willing to pay twice as much to attend there (not counting cost of living) as I would at a comparable school.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:43 pm

leidice wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
mf980 wrote:

+1 Me too!!!

if this is true im gonna be pretty happy.. Application Complete again also

leemur19

Postby leemur19 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:55 pm

Are you guys referring to "Current Status", or "Decision Status"? Not sure if there's been a change on mine or not...

jetergrl2ss

Postby jetergrl2ss » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:26 pm

For those of w/ Wake @ the top of our list, the ABA just published an article on 10 Surprising Legal Markets and Greensboro made the list! Good news for people concerned w/ employment prospects out of Wake: http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/arti ... ault_email

irishvt14

Postby irishvt14 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:53 pm

IBThatGuy wrote:In advance: Don't read this as a slam; it really isn't intended as such.

I'm a bit confused about something: When forumites write that they can't afford to pay sticker, what exactly do they mean?

The vast majority of law-school students have to take out loans to attend any school that doesn't offer a full ride. It's an enormous expenditure, and it generally prevents one from obtaining employment. [Loss of money] plus [prevention of gaining money] equals loss of money.

The question is therefore simply a matter of how much of a loan one is willing to take on. Wake or UNC; Pitt or Penn State; W&L or W&M; the net result is debt. That is, properly speaking, most of us can't really afford to go wherever it is we do go; we're just betting on being able to make enough, after graduating, to be able to justify the outlay of huge amounts of money.

It seems like the better wording would be something like, "I'm not willing to pay sticker." For instance, it would cost roughly $55,000 more to go to Wake than to UNC. What is meant is that, with no scholarship money at either, the student is not willing to pay the extra $55,000 to attend Wake Forest.

Am I missing something?

You literally took the words out of my mouth (or the typing out of my fingers). I definitely understand people not being willing to pay sticker. That makes perfect sense, especially if they have received decent scholarship offers at comparable schools.
The flip side is that some of us (like me) who are on the waitlist WOULD be willing to pay sticker because going to Wake would give us better employment prospects compared to, say, Marquette (even if Marquette did offer $16k/year). It's really all about what you're willing to do. I am personally not willing to pay $39k/year at Marquette if I could get off Wake's waitlist. With schools that are of a comparable rank, that choice is a bit harder...
So no, you can't pay sticker, but in reality, a VERY small percentage of prospective students can. The rest take out loans, and it's all about how much debt you are comfortable taking on.

EDIT: I have said this before, but I am happy for those of you who have gotten into Wake--don't take my desperation as me trying to get you to withdraw!

SrLaw

Postby SrLaw » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:08 pm

I was accepted to Wake with much better numbers than their medians over a month ago but I have never heard about scholarships? Does anyone have any info?

leidice

Postby leidice » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:01 pm

Got scholly offer this afternoon! $22k a year, top 2/3 stipulation. Not quite what I was hoping or expecting from what I've seen with others with my numbers, but still not bad.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:04 pm

20k per year top 2/3rds stip via e-mail.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:09 pm

also received a scholly offer this afternoon with a 2/3 stip

mcgillgrad10

Postby mcgillgrad10 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:13 pm

also got a scholarship today. 22k top 2/3, accepted 1/31

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:14 pm

leidice wrote:Got scholly offer this afternoon! $22k a year, top 2/3 stipulation. Not quite what I was hoping or expecting from what I've seen with others with my numbers, but still not bad.

E-mail or Mail?

leemur19

Postby leemur19 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:15 pm

Anyone that received scholarships willing/able to post LSAT/GPA?

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:16 pm

leemur19 wrote:Anyone that received scholarships willing/able to post LSAT/GPA?

LSN in profile.

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:21 pm

Any of you guys know if FAFSA stuff affects your merit aid? FinAid at WF e-mailed me a couple days ago about an error on my FAFSA (Selective Services issue.) I resolved the issue with FAFSA but corrections went out yesterday.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”