Wake 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bergg007

Bronze

Re: Wake 2011

Post by bergg007 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:49 pm

jdemmitt wrote:
irishvt14 wrote:Are there any admitted students that are still undecided about Wake? I was waitlisted and I am just trying to gauge my chances of coming off the waitlist! Congrats to all, btw.

I am and I know that there are several other individuals as well. At the ASD quite a few said they were holding out to hear from others, as am I. Even with the generous scholarship offer, I am not sure that I want to take on that much debt. Who knows though.

+1 I am stuck between Wake and Bama currently, but I'm still waiting on a Emory, UGA, UC Davis, and WUSTL

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:04 am

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:42 am

If you're on the WL, I think there is a good chance a good number will move off of it. Due to price alone, I'm thinking most residents of NC would lean towards UNC if they could.

Wake is def. in my top 3 now. Just waiting to see how things will pan out with the other shools that are being incredibly slow. In my case, I'd love to stay in NC. The pricetag of Wake however would be costing me more than a higher ranked school. So add me to the list of highly undecided peps. :|

pokerlaw

Bronze

Post by pokerlaw » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:05 am

I'm waiting for UNC as well.

irishvt14

Bronze

Post by irishvt14 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:32 am

When I called to ask questions after I was waitlisted they send that they try not to overaccept so that they actually give waitlisted applicants a chance of coming off the list, but I feel like everyone is so amped on Wake this year (no surprise, I am too). Thanks for the updates, and if you do decide on somewhere else, make sure you withdraw!! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hurricane10

Bronze

Post by hurricane10 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:01 am

Is anyone else struggling with Wake v. UF? Not to derail this thread but PM me if you are. I'll be at Wake tomorrow.

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:23 pm

How did it go today for those who went to this last ASD? Any comments, questions, concerns you would like to share with us. Maybe we can compare some stories for those who went before.

dontgotolawschool

New

Post by dontgotolawschool » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:59 am

Don't go to law school. You will regret it. Seriously, think of a different career path. If you don't, you'll remember this post this time next year when you realize how bad of a choice you made in going to law school. Don't throw your money away and waste your time in law school. Speaking from personal experience.

leonal41

New

Post by leonal41 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:11 am

Due to recent a recent acceptance I am most likely withdrawing from wake in the near future, I hope one of you still in waiting takes my spot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:08 am

I had a good time yesterday! Beautiful weather here. It seemed really crowded, though - I'm guessing since scholly info went out sort of late a lot of people only were able to make it to the last weekend. Relevant points:

1. I learned that there's a new building being built for the business school, so in the next year or two, they will move out & the law school will be able to take over.

2. In the class I sat in on, the prof definitely cold called. However, one of his choices for the day repeatedly didn't know the answers, and he wasn't cruel about it, just moved on. He did keep going back to her, however. The prof was interesting & engaging.

3. I met a handful of non trad married students and my tour guide was also a non trad, which alleviated my concern that I'd stick out like a sore, old thumb.

4. Maybe it was because of the weather, but downtown W-S was absolutely buzzing last night. It's not NYC, but there seemed to be a selection of decent restaurants in a safe area.

5. If you're coming to a later ASW, RENT A CAR. Seriously, I really regret depending on cabs all weekend.

6. Jenny is the coolest and most hilarious admissions staffer I have ever had the pleasure of speaking to (if you're reading this, Hi Jenny! You're awesome).

All in all, I really liked Wake. I'm not 100% yet because it's such a big move away from home, and I'm still waiting on one or two more schools that could lure me away. But, I got a very good impression from the ASW.

If anyone has any more specific questions, please feel free to PM

charlesxavier

Bronze

Post by charlesxavier » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:30 pm

snapdragon wrote:I had a good time yesterday! Beautiful weather here. It seemed really crowded, though - I'm guessing since scholly info went out sort of late a lot of people only were able to make it to the last weekend. Relevant points:

1. I learned that there's a new building being built for the business school, so in the next year or two, they will move out & the law school will be able to take over.

2. In the class I sat in on, the prof definitely cold called. However, one of his choices for the day repeatedly didn't know the answers, and he wasn't cruel about it, just moved on. He did keep going back to her, however. The prof was interesting & engaging.

3. I met a handful of non trad married students and my tour guide was also a non trad, which alleviated my concern that I'd stick out like a sore, old thumb.

4. Maybe it was because of the weather, but downtown W-S was absolutely buzzing last night. It's not NYC, but there seemed to be a selection of decent restaurants in a safe area.

5. If you're coming to a later ASW, RENT A CAR. Seriously, I really regret depending on cabs all weekend.

6. Jenny is the coolest and most hilarious admissions staffer I have ever had the pleasure of speaking to (if you're reading this, Hi Jenny! You're awesome).

All in all, I really liked Wake. I'm not 100% yet because it's such a big move away from home, and I'm still waiting on one or two more schools that could lure me away. But, I got a very good impression from the ASW.

If anyone has any more specific questions, please feel free to PM
I definitely noticed this too. In my undergrad it seemed like professors were set on drawing attention to someone who didn't read/study by focusing questions on them. During the class I sat in on a few weeks ago the professor cold called but he had a very encouraging attitude like "You know this". It was a lot more comfortable than I had imagined.

hurricane10

Bronze

Post by hurricane10 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:11 pm

I went to the ASD yesterday and really loved it.. the class we sat in on was extremely interesting, I loved the library, small classes, students, professors, and pretty much everyone I met.

A couple things that I'm thinking over now and am still a little concerned about:

1) Dean Morant made a comment about how he always wears a WF pin when he travels and told a story about how he was travelling to Los Angeles and a couple came up to him excitely and asked if he worked at Wells Fargo.. I'm sure I'm overanalyzing this but I was concerned about Wake's name recognition in other parts of the country and this didn't really help much.

2) A lot of people were able to find jobs outside of Wake's primary markets but I got the impression that it was because they were originally from that area and were connected as opposed to Wake having a more national network that can help you place anywhere without connections. One of the guys on the student panel was from Houston, spent his summers at home working at a law firm there and got a job for graduation.. I'm not sure how much of that was his Wake degree or his own initiative and network in Houston.

3) Not a huge fan of Winston-Salem.. everything is Reynolds, Reynolda, etc and hard to distinguish. It's sort of an older-run down city (or at least the places I visited downtown were). A lot of the older buildings looked unoccupied and I just sort of got a vibe that WS is past its prime years.

Like I said, I overall loved the experience and am interested in what others had to say. Lots of amazing people there which is going to make this a ridiculously hard decision to make.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:18 pm

Just to add to info about the classroom atmosphere...when I visited back in November, the prof. who's class I sat in on had 2 people designated to be called on for the duration of the class. He wasn't cruel to them when they didn't know the answer. He tried to guide them through the thought process to get the answer. It wasn't as scary as I thought it would be either.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:23 pm

hurricane10 wrote:I went to the ASD yesterday and really loved it.. the class we sat in on was extremely interesting, I loved the library, small classes, students, professors, and pretty much everyone I met.

A couple things that I'm thinking over now and am still a little concerned about:

1) Dean Morant made a comment about how he always wears a WF pin when he travels and told a story about how he was travelling to Los Angeles and a couple came up to him excitely and asked if he worked at Wells Fargo.. I'm sure I'm overanalyzing this but I was concerned about Wake's name recognition in other parts of the country and this didn't really help much.

2) A lot of people were able to find jobs outside of Wake's primary markets but I got the impression that it was because they were originally from that area and were connected as opposed to Wake having a more national network that can help you place anywhere without connections. One of the guys on the student panel was from Houston, spent his summers at home working at a law firm there and got a job for graduation.. I'm not sure how much of that was his Wake degree or his own initiative and network in Houston.

3) Not a huge fan of Winston-Salem.. everything is Reynolds, Reynolda, etc and hard to distinguish. It's sort of an older-run down city (or at least the places I visited downtown were). A lot of the older buildings looked unoccupied and I just sort of got a vibe that WS is past its prime years.

Like I said, I overall loved the experience and am interested in what others had to say. Lots of amazing people there which is going to make this a ridiculously hard decision to make.
I wouldn't be worried about the first one. A pin saying wf is very ambiguous and it was just random people, not wannabe attorneys, so no biggie. As for two, wake will hook you up with a mentor who lives in that area to help you out, but you need to do some work yourself to geta job out of their immediate area. As for three, eh.

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:23 pm

hurricane10 wrote: 2) A lot of people were able to find jobs outside of Wake's primary markets but I got the impression that it was because they were originally from that area and were connected as opposed to Wake having a more national network that can help you place anywhere without connections. One of the guys on the student panel was from Houston, spent his summers at home working at a law firm there and got a job for graduation.. I'm not sure how much of that was his Wake degree or his own initiative and network in Houston.
One thing to keep in mind about that guy is that he was some executive editor on law review. I'd guess he is tops in his class... his experiences sounded great, but not exactly common.

I was OK with W-S, but I went to undergrad in Hartford, CT. Not hard to beat that.

iambeautiful

Bronze

Post by iambeautiful » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:36 pm

Anyone took any pics? I would love to see some pics since i couldnt make the trip.

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:41 pm

The dean wasn't there during my visit. Can anyone speak to how you perceived him? As in how relevant or impactful his words were in your perception of the school? Obviously schools try to increase their standing nationally so it would have been nice to hear a couple of soundbites from the "fearless leader".

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hurricane10

Bronze

Post by hurricane10 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:50 pm

Neither of the deans made a huge impression on me. I mean, it's hard to tell. Morant, who is the overall dean seems like a nice guy and very approachable. His speech at the beginning sort of had a neutral impact on me. The female dean (of academics I think?) was nice as well and told me that she pretty much knows everyone in the 1L class either by name or face.. which just kind of reinforced how tight-knit of a group they are there.

agora139

Bronze

Post by agora139 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:09 am

jdemmitt wrote:
hurricane10 wrote:
As for three, eh.
winston-salem kind of sucks. past its prime years is a good way of describing it--there's no life in the city, as if it is wasting away from the same cancers that it prospered in perpetuating to cigarette consumers. wake's campus is beautiful, but winston salem itself (IMO) is definitely not a draw for wake.

richis7

New

Post by richis7 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:26 pm

Decision letter pending, someone cross your fingers for me or something :)

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:31 pm

richis7 wrote:Decision letter pending, someone cross your fingers for me or something :)
DLP for me too. Been UR since 1/4 or something.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:32 pm

Sandro wrote:
richis7 wrote:Decision letter pending, someone cross your fingers for me or something :)
DLP for me too. Been UR since 1/4 or something.
Yay Sandro!

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:33 pm

Fingers crossed. Anyone hear about the Fletcher scholarships yet?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:39 pm

Waitlist, lol. Withdrawing.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:40 pm

Sandro wrote:Waitlist, lol. Withdrawing.
:( Man, I'm sorry. You had to wait so long too. Ding Bar it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”