Wake 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NCtoDC

Re: Wake 2011

Postby NCtoDC » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:21 pm

charlesxavier wrote:
snapdragon wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Anyone from TX or the southwest considering going to Wake? My scholarship at Wake is very tempting, but I'm apprehensive about leaving TX and moving to NC (only been once in my life). Does anyone have similar feelings/concerns?

Yes, but replace TX with New England ;) I'm very tempted by Wake, to the point that it's probably my first choice as of now, but I'm worried about being an older student if the environment is a lot of people straight out of undergrad (I'm 26 and boring) & about culture shock moving to the South from the Northeast. There's a lot of Wake students in the Discuss Your Law School forum though who have all been pretty informative.

Are you going to be able to visit? I'm hoping my visit next week really helps give me a better idea of what life in NC is actually like

When I went to the open house last week I almost felt out of place because I am coming straight from undergrad. A lot of the people I met were out for a few years and working or had gone to grad school. One of the things that I noticed is that a few people said that they liked Wake because they wanted to get away from the big undergrad party scene and settle down. I think you will feel quite comfortable. I'm coming from undergrad but am married/settled down and I really liked the atmosphere.

+1

I'm married as well and when I visited I felt like it was a very low key atmosphere.

Snapdragon, I was born and raised in NC, and moved to CT after I graduated high school. That was a culture shock. People are not as friendly up north and there is a vast difference in popular food. I would say it is easier to move from the North to the South than it is to move from the South to the North. You may be agitated at the slow pace of life down here, I know I was when I moved back to NC... you absolutely cannot go more than 5 over the speed limit or you will get pulled. I imagine you will have trouble understanding some real southerners...my husband still doesn't understand people sometimes (after 2 years). Overall, though, NC is a great place to live :-)

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:28 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
charlesxavier wrote:
snapdragon wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Anyone from TX or the southwest considering going to Wake? My scholarship at Wake is very tempting, but I'm apprehensive about leaving TX and moving to NC (only been once in my life). Does anyone have similar feelings/concerns?

Yes, but replace TX with New England ;) I'm very tempted by Wake, to the point that it's probably my first choice as of now, but I'm worried about being an older student if the environment is a lot of people straight out of undergrad (I'm 26 and boring) & about culture shock moving to the South from the Northeast. There's a lot of Wake students in the Discuss Your Law School forum though who have all been pretty informative.

Are you going to be able to visit? I'm hoping my visit next week really helps give me a better idea of what life in NC is actually like

When I went to the open house last week I almost felt out of place because I am coming straight from undergrad. A lot of the people I met were out for a few years and working or had gone to grad school. One of the things that I noticed is that a few people said that they liked Wake because they wanted to get away from the big undergrad party scene and settle down. I think you will feel quite comfortable. I'm coming from undergrad but am married/settled down and I really liked the atmosphere.

+1

I'm married as well and when I visited I felt like it was a very low key atmosphere.

Snapdragon, I was born and raised in NC, and moved to CT after I graduated high school. That was a culture shock. People are not as friendly up north and there is a vast difference in popular food. I would say it is easier to move from the North to the South than it is to move from the South to the North. You may be agitated at the slow pace of life down here, I know I was when I moved back to NC... you absolutely cannot go more than 5 over the speed limit or you will get pulled. I imagine you will have trouble understanding some real southerners...my husband still doesn't understand people sometimes (after 2 years). Overall, though, NC is a great place to live :-)

I am married as well, and I have a child as well, so I am looking for a more laid back school and life. I use to live in NC so I am excited to be going back.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:35 pm

NCtoDC wrote:

Thank you both. NC this is especially helpful - I'm a born and bred CT'er, so the contrast is quite apt. Makes me relieved that the Wake student body is, at least partially, older and more settled.

NC, when you say "friendly", do you mean just more that people smile/chat in random social circumstances? My roommate and I were discussing last night how people around here, us included, default to unfriendly look (we were debating whether cute girl at the gym was just looking at him or actively disliked him).

edgarfigaro

Postby edgarfigaro » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:41 pm

you absolutely cannot go more than 5 over the speed limit or you will get pulled.

?

In my vast experience, you're cool if you're <10 over the speed limit. Been pulled twice, 43 in a 25 and 77 in a 65 (the 77 was in Winston, and the cop didn't give me a ticket b/c he saw that I had brand new tires that threw off my speedometer).

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:48 pm

snapdragon wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:

Thank you both. NC this is especially helpful - I'm a born and bred CT'er, so the contrast is quite apt. Makes me relieved that the Wake student body is, at least partially, older and more settled.

NC, when you say "friendly", do you mean just more that people smile/chat in random social circumstances? My roommate and I were discussing last night how people around here, us included, default to unfriendly look (we were debating whether cute girl at the gym was just looking at him or actively disliked him).

The South is just a more friendly place. People are more willing to go out of their way to help a stranger, and a polite hello doesnt hurt either. I love NC. And I have never had a problem getting pulled over for going more than 5 mph over, but different areas i figure.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:08 pm

I don't think its something about the whole South with the speeding thing. There are pockets of places from NC up to DC where if you are going more than 5 over you might be pulled. I've been driving in NC for 9 years and gotten two tickets and I was going at least 10 over (maybe more). I don't know much about specifically W-S cops though.

NCtoDC

Postby NCtoDC » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Yeah, I suppose in the little hick town and surrounding vicinity that I grew up in the cops had nothing better to do...seriously more than five over and you had a ticket. I also think this has changed somewhat over the last 10 years.

In regards to the friendliness factor...yes, I found that people in CT seemed to have a scowl on their face, lol. They are only friendly once you get to know them. I smiled at a lady with a small child in the grocery store up there and she looked at me like I was going to try and kidnap it or something!

In NC there is no such thing as a stranger really. People will randomly talk to you in the grocery store, or any store for that matter, just making small talk...especially the older people. Just today, I had an old man trying to get me to buy a different type of sausage because it was cheaper than the one I was picking up!
Oh, and fair warning...you will be putting your groceries in a buggy, not a shopping cart; we have subs, not grinders; and kids lick suckers, not lollipops.

plt06

Postby plt06 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:23 pm

NCtoDC wrote:Yeah, I suppose in the little hick town and surrounding vicinity that I grew up in the cops had nothing better to do...seriously more than five over and you had a ticket. I also think this has changed somewhat over the last 10 years.

In regards to the friendliness factor...yes, I found that people in CT seemed to have a scowl on their face, lol. They are only friendly once you get to know them. I smiled at a lady with a small child in the grocery store up there and she looked at me like I was going to try and kidnap it or something!

In NC there is no such thing as a stranger really. People will randomly talk to you in the grocery store, or any store for that matter, just making small talk...especially the older people. Just today, I had an old man trying to get me to buy a different type of sausage because it was cheaper than the one I was picking up!
Oh, and fair warning...you will be putting your groceries in a buggy, not a shopping cart; we have subs, not grinders; and kids lick suckers, not lollipops.

There are a lot of really small towns whose police departments seem to fund themselves purely off of speeding tickets. Anyone who has heard of Waldo, FL knows what I'm talking about. Irate citizens from outside the town literally put up billboards warning people that there is a speedtrap in Waldo. For the most part though there isn't some crazy 5mph over rule in the South.

charlesxavier

Postby charlesxavier » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:49 pm

plt06 wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:Yeah, I suppose in the little hick town and surrounding vicinity that I grew up in the cops had nothing better to do...seriously more than five over and you had a ticket. I also think this has changed somewhat over the last 10 years.

There are a lot of really small towns whose police departments seem to fund themselves purely off of speeding tickets. Anyone who has heard of Waldo, FL knows what I'm talking about. Irate citizens from outside the town literally put up billboards warning people that there is a speedtrap in Waldo. For the most part though there isn't some crazy 5mph over rule in the South.

In Waldo going faster than 5 MPH under the speed limit is dangerous. I had a lot of friends go to UF and their parents would get pulled over all the time when going through Waldo to Gainesville.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:54 pm

NCtoDC wrote:In regards to the friendliness factor...yes, I found that people in CT seemed to have a scowl on their face, lol. They are only friendly once you get to know them. I smiled at a lady with a small child in the grocery store up there and she looked at me like I was going to try and kidnap it or something!

Haha, you're so right. We all default to scowl! Luckily people around here think I'm overly friendly sometimes, so I may just come off as sort of cold. ;)

And I can deal with buggies, grinders and suckers as long as I don't have to start calling soda, pop!

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:03 pm

snapdragon wrote:And I can deal with buggies, grinders and suckers as long as I don't have to start calling soda, pop!

You will no longer be allowed to say "soda." All carbonated beverages shall either be refererred to as "Cheerwine" or "Sun Drop." The nectar(s) of the gods!!!

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:25 pm

I can't stand calling it pop! As I recall it was usually just coke. You want a pepsi? Ask for a coke. Everything is coke.

thatwrites

Postby thatwrites » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:38 pm

MattThiessen wrote:You will no longer be allowed to say "soda." All carbonated beverages shall either be refererred to as "Cheerwine" or "Sun Drop." The nectar(s) of the gods!!!

Coke is what you say when you want a soda.
Cocacola is what you say when you want a Coke.
Unless of course you want a Diet.
And Tea is always sweet and cold.
And if you know where to look, you can find the aforementioned Cheerwine and Sun Drop made into Slushy form.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:47 pm

thatwrites wrote:
MattThiessen wrote:You will no longer be allowed to say "soda." All carbonated beverages shall either be refererred to as "Cheerwine" or "Sun Drop." The nectar(s) of the gods!!!

Coke is what you say when you want a soda.
Cocacola is what you say when you want a Coke.
Unless of course you want a Diet.
And Tea is always sweet and cold.
And if you know where to look, you can find the aforementioned Cheerwine and Sun Drop made into Slushy form.

Lol. I don't think I need to go to the open house friday, questions answered.

MattThiessen

Postby MattThiessen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:51 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Lol. I don't think I need to go to the open house friday, questions answered.

I went to the open house, all I heard was:

Welcome to Wake Forest. We are a law school. There is a Bojangles 5 minutes down the road and our water fountains are filled with all the Cheerwine and Sun Drop you could possibly drink.

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

richis7

Postby richis7 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:08 pm

Jenny told me I would hear by the end of the week. Hoping for good news, but expecting wait list.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:09 pm

richis7 wrote:Jenny told me I would hear by the end of the week. Hoping for good news, but expecting wait list.

When did you go under review?

richis7

Postby richis7 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:56 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
richis7 wrote:Jenny told me I would hear by the end of the week. Hoping for good news, but expecting wait list.

I went UR 1/7

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:29 pm

richis7 wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:

I went UR 1/7

I went UR the same day or the day before so hopefully I finally hear from Wake.

richis7

Postby richis7 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:31 pm

Sandro wrote:
richis7 wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:

I went UR 1/7

Yeah, we've both missed a lot of notifications, so it will be good to finally hear something.

yepyep

Postby yepyep » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:19 am

Sandro wrote:
richis7 wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:

I went UR 1/7

UR 12/3

Longhorn1117

Postby Longhorn1117 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:20 pm

My status just changed from "administrative review" to "decision letter pending." Should I expect to get an e-mail today/tomorrow?

mss455

Postby mss455 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:27 pm

Longhorn1117 wrote:My status just changed from "administrative review" to "decision letter pending." Should I expect to get an e-mail today/tomorrow?

+1

How do they inform - snail mail or email ???

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:40 pm

Longhorn1117 wrote:My status just changed from "administrative review" to "decision letter pending." Should I expect to get an e-mail today/tomorrow?

+1

from what I can gather from the previous pages, if you're admitted or WL'd, you'll get an email within the next day or so, but it looks like if you don't get an email, then...it can only mean one thing...at least that's what I think

ran12

Postby ran12 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:41 pm

Acceptances and WL are def email. Don't know what rejections are.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”