Wake 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
girlonfire

Bronze

Re: Wake 2011

Post by girlonfire » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:43 am

denny.crane wrote:
girlonfire wrote:kind of a weird question: is it flat in Winston-Salem? Like, is it good bicycle terrain? I'd like to be able to ride my bike around if the weather permits... and if I get a ap. close enough to campus.

anyone have any thoughts?

I went to undergrad there. It's flat and pretty bike-friendly, and there are def places to live that would be convenient for a biking commute.
this is good news! thanks!!
gas is getting too expensive :x

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:21 am

girlonfire wrote:
denny.crane wrote:
girlonfire wrote:kind of a weird question: is it flat in Winston-Salem? Like, is it good bicycle terrain? I'd like to be able to ride my bike around if the weather permits... and if I get a ap. close enough to campus.

I went to undergrad there. It's flat and pretty bike-friendly, and there are def places to live that would be convenient for a biking commute.
This is a great idea... I was hoping to live someplace within walking distance, but biking would be even more fun. Would y'all still be my friends if I had helmet hair every day?

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:30 am

I thought about living close enough to bike (I dont have a car so I would have to buy/lease one), but the thought of biking 1 or 2 miles with a backpack full of casebooks sounds miserable.

gogamecocks

New

Post by gogamecocks » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:57 am

NCtoDC wrote:
gogamecocks wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
gogamecocks wrote:anyone going to the ASW on the 18th?
Me :-)
Nice. I plan on driving up there friday morning. I've visited Wake before (went to HS in NC), but never the law school. I'm pretty pumped.
I live about an hour and fifteen minutes away from Wake. (Born and raised in NC). I visited the law school back in November, but I thought it would be good to meet prospective students as well.
girlonfire wrote:I'm going to try and attend the ASW on the 18th, but I'm not sure if I'll make it yet.
Do we have to RSVP for these?
And does anyone know if it's alright to visit the LS at a random time without notifying anyone :lol: cuz that's probably what I'll do...
that's what I've done everywhere else...
Pretty sure they would try to accommodate you, but it would be better to schedule it in advance. They had an awesome tour guide for my scheduled visit.
Hour and 15 in which direction? I lived in Concord (basically an hour an 15 minutes away) through middle and high school

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:39 pm

snapdragon wrote:
girlonfire wrote:
denny.crane wrote:

This is a great idea... I was hoping to live someplace within walking distance, but biking would be even more fun. Would y'all still be my friends if I had helmet hair every day?
DEFINITELY!! we'd match!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

girlonfire

Bronze

Post by girlonfire » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:43 pm

YankeesFan wrote:I thought about living close enough to bike (I dont have a car so I would have to buy/lease one), but the thought of biking 1 or 2 miles with a backpack full of casebooks sounds miserable.
I used to ride my bike to college all the time when I lived near it.. and I'd have a shit-ton of books to carry. It was really bad until I figured out that it's all about the backpack. If you get a really good one, it makes all the difference.
Anyway, I have a car now, but I get an urge to drive it into a lake everytime I put gas in it lately... I have this fantasy about finding a roommate w a car and alternating carpooling & bike riding..

Anyone know what the parking situation is like at the LS?

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:48 pm

Yea I heard it was pretty easy to get a parking pass. If you pay 500 for the year you get a pass than enables you to park everywhere but for 125 you get a pass that allows to park in a lot thats about 1/4 from the law school. From my understanding that is the only lot you can park in with that pass.

denny.crane

New

Post by denny.crane » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:50 pm

girlonfire wrote:
YankeesFan wrote:I thought about living close enough to bike (I dont have a car so I would have to buy/lease one), but the thought of biking 1 or 2 miles with a backpack full of casebooks sounds miserable.
I used to ride my bike to college all the time when I lived near it.. and I'd have a shit-ton of books to carry. It was really bad until I figured out that it's all about the backpack. If you get a really good one, it makes all the difference.
Anyway, I have a car now, but I get an urge to drive it into a lake everytime I put gas in it lately... I have this fantasy about finding a roommate w a car and alternating carpooling & bike riding..

Anyone know what the parking situation is like at the LS?
There is a big LS parking lot directly by the school, but I'm not sure about the cost of the credentials that you need to park there. There is a satellite lot that is cheaper, but it's kind of a pain in the a** honestly. I think the bike/carpool thing could definitely work. The good news is that winters in NC are pretty mild, so winter biking is doable as well. I hope this helps. If you have any other questions about this stuff, feel free to PM me!

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:02 pm

Hour and 15 in which direction? I lived in Concord (basically an hour an 15 minutes away) through middle and high school
I live outside of Hickory. Grew up in Taylorsville (you may or may not know of this small hick town, lmao).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MattThiessen

Bronze

Post by MattThiessen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:42 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
I live outside of Hickory. Grew up in Taylorsville (you may or may not know of this small hick town, lmao).
Hickory Metro Area, Represent! My wife lived in Newton for forever and I spent a couple years in Granite Falls. Admittedly, not my favorite part of the state.

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:58 pm

MattThiessen wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
Hickory Metro Area, Represent! My wife lived in Newton for forever and I spent a couple years in Granite Falls. Admittedly, not my favorite part of the state.
hahaha, yeah there is not much to do 'round these parts

clemson09

New

Post by clemson09 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:13 am

I apologize for not reading through all 58 pages but does anyone know how long the "administrative review" process takes?

I have been in that status for 3 weeks now... starting to think I am sitting at the bottom of the pile. I am kind of a long shot with a 158/3.57 but im keeping my fingers crossed.

sstufken

New

Post by sstufken » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:32 am

clemson09 wrote:I apologize for not reading through all 58 pages but does anyone know how long the "administrative review" process takes?

I have been in that status for 3 weeks now... starting to think I am sitting at the bottom of the pile. I am kind of a long shot with a 158/3.57 but im keeping my fingers crossed.
Mine took about 3 weeks max (and I applied early Feb). I got waitlisted with a 163 & 3.4, but I've heard of people getting in with lower LSATs/higher GPAs so you probably still have a decent chance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

gogamecocks

New

Post by gogamecocks » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:38 am

clemson09 wrote:I apologize for not reading through all 58 pages but does anyone know how long the "administrative review" process takes?

It took me about a week. I did go straight from "incomplete to under review" though

AfroThunder1212

New

Post by AfroThunder1212 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:43 am

Anyone hear anything about the Fletcher yet? Looks like last year the 'you didn't get it' emails started rolling out a couple days before the date they stated they would inform people.

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:49 am

Not a peep. I am hoping people have turned them down and they are almost ready to call and offer it to me.

k123456

New

Post by k123456 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:52 am

I have a few questions, and I would really appreciate any help you guys can provide. First off, I'm ready to accept at Wake, but how do I actually do that? For some schools, I've gotten a written document that I sign and return to accept my scholarship offer. From Wake, I've got just an email. Second, do you all know when the FAFSA form is due for Wake? I can't find it anywhere on their website, and I read under the financial aid section of TLS that there were many March 1 deadlines (which I'm confused about - some people don't know whether they are accepted or not, thus impacting their level of need, so why is FAFSA due now?) Again, I really appreciate any help.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wester0

New

Post by wester0 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:03 am

k123456 wrote:I have a few questions, and I would really appreciate any help you guys can provide. First off, I'm ready to accept at Wake, but how do I actually do that? For some schools, I've gotten a written document that I sign and return to accept my scholarship offer. From Wake, I've got just an email. Second, do you all know when the FAFSA form is due for Wake? I can't find it anywhere on their website, and I read under the financial aid section of TLS that there were many March 1 deadlines (which I'm confused about - some people don't know whether they are accepted or not, thus impacting their level of need, so why is FAFSA due now?) Again, I really appreciate any help.
Pay your seat deposit to accept your offer. I don't know what their FAFSA deadline is but it won't hurt you to do it now.

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:56 am

Does Wake offer travel stipends?

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:34 pm

SrLaw wrote:Does Wake offer travel stipends?
Only if you matriculate, and if then only up to $200.

AfroThunder1212

New

Post by AfroThunder1212 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:35 pm

leidice wrote:
Is that for this year as well? I already visited for an ASD and hadn't heard anything, but I know they offered it last year.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:42 pm

I sent a scholarship negotiation e-mail and never heard back. Anyone have any idea if they negotiate?

leidice

Bronze

Post by leidice » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 pm

AfroThunder1212 wrote:
leidice wrote:
Is that for this year as well? I already visited for an ASD and hadn't heard anything, but I know they offered it last year.
Yep. I called to ask about 2 weeks ago. That's what Melanie told me

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:25 pm

SrLaw wrote:I sent a scholarship negotiation e-mail and never heard back. Anyone have any idea if they negotiate?
Almost everyone hads said they do not. They could be bluffing, but don't hold your breath. Anyone else get an email today from them?

wester0

New

Post by wester0 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:09 pm

jdemmitt wrote: Anyone else get an email today from them?
No, what did it say?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”