Wake 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thewarflamingo

Silver

Re: Wake 2011

Post by thewarflamingo » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:52 pm

Anything else come with the letter? I haven't gotten mine in tx.

plug1

New

Post by plug1 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:22 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Anything else come with the letter? I haven't gotten mine in tx.
Nope, just a single page letter

tarheel87

Bronze

Post by tarheel87 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:29 am

jetergrl2ss wrote:
Do you think being the first wave of admits will allow us to get more $$?

Reposting for curiosity.
I mean it makes sense that at the beginning they have more money to give out... but idk. I sure hope so!
Yeah, most of us that were accepted in the first wave last year got money while the acceptances after that were rather scattershot. I'd say if you've been accepted already your chances are good (don't count your chickens though...).

Good luck, if you get/got in then I would be sure to check WFU out, it's a pretty great place.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:54 am

Barbie wrote:
akili wrote:Got my letter today! Hooray! It was really fun to put it on my fridge.
You're so cute!
I also wore my Wake Forest shirt yesterday. :)

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:30 am

I got my letter today, I'm sad it didn't come with a viewbook or anything cool to look at.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lvsmithmarsh

Bronze

Post by lvsmithmarsh » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:04 am

My letter was waiting in the mail when I got home last night from working out of town... wee!

I am especially interested in the Washington, DC, program they've been developing for the past few years, particularly since I'd like to work for the government in some capacity...

Also, WFU is the closest law school to where my husband and I live (Charlotte) (other than Charlotte Law School, but, well, you know...) so it would make life logistics marginally easier than, say, GW, W&L, or even UNC.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:14 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:I got my letter today, I'm sad it didn't come with a viewbook or anything cool to look at.
The good stuff like blankets, books, etc. will usually come later. Last year, all we got was the acceptance letter, then the scholarship letter, and then a nice WFU Law blanket and books and things.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:17 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:I got my letter today, I'm sad it didn't come with a viewbook or anything cool to look at.
The good stuff like blankets, books, etc. will usually come later. Last year, all we got was the acceptance letter, then the scholarship letter, and then a nice WFU Law blanket and books and things.
A blanket?? In the mail? Is that only for scholarship recipients?

plug1

New

Post by plug1 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:19 pm

What type of scholarship do you think ill receive with a 3.4 / 165 "other hispanic" - im really hoping for a good size one or else it will be too expensive to attend

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:36 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
Wut? LOL is this for real? Blankets?

lvsmithmarsh

Bronze

Post by lvsmithmarsh » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:47 pm

It's super cold today down here today. I'd take a blanket.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:27 pm

Yeah they definitely got blankets last year. It was pretty cool!

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:26 am

Barbie wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:
A blanket?? In the mail? Is that only for scholarship recipients?
I think it went out to all accepted students, but I'm not really sure. It was a really nice little blanket with the WFU Law logo on it. It might not be the same this year, but you can probably count on t-shirt, hats, or something of the sort coming eventually.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gemini

Gold

Post by Gemini » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:32 am

That's so cool. I've always wanted to receive a big package in the mail containing folders, shirts, caps, and pens. Sigh.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:25 am

Still haven't gotten my letter :(

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:30 am

It was 8 degrees in Atlanta the other day, a blanket will do nicely

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:44 pm

Barbie wrote:Still haven't gotten my letter :(

Barbie - are your mailing and permanent addresses different? I have my mailing address as valid til 8/2011 but my Wake acceptance letter still got sent to my parents' house. You might want to check that out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:54 pm

snapdragon wrote:
Barbie wrote:Still haven't gotten my letter :(

Barbie - are your mailing and permanent addresses different? I have my mailing address as valid til 8/2011 but my Wake acceptance letter still got sent to my parents' house. You might want to check that out.
Mine was sent to my permanent address as well. Weird.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:48 pm

They're pretty cognizant of applicant situations and prob assumed that it made more sense to send to permanent address since people are out of school for break.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:55 pm

I'm pretty sure the blankets last year were only sent to people who paid the first seat deposit because they sent the blankets in late April and the first deposit for scholarship recipients was April 1st and April 15th for everyone else.

Also, it looks like Wake offered a $200 reimbursement to go to one of the first two open houses last year, but you only got reimbursed if you actually matriculated at Wake, which is kinda lame.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:15 pm

OOhh! I will have to call my parents and see.

Also, does anyone know how successful it would be to negotiate $ from Wake? If they don't offer me anything, I surely can't explain going there over Illinois with the $. My #s last year were very on the edge. Most people did not get anything :( and a few got a good amt (maybe URMs and not reporting so)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:26 pm

Barbie wrote:OOhh! I will have to call my parents and see.

Also, does anyone know how successful it would be to negotiate $ from Wake? If they don't offer me anything, I surely can't explain going there over Illinois with the $. My #s last year were very on the edge. Most people did not get anything :( and a few got a good amt (maybe URMs and not reporting so)
I read last year's thread and apparently the office pretty much ignored emails about negotiating scholarships. Some people had to call and tell them their other offers from schools and then Wake eventually got back to them whether not they'd up their scholarship. Some people got increases like $2K/yr so it didn't seem to be very much and it was late in the cycle (like April/May) when they finally offered more money. What helped one person get 2K more was that they had put down deposits at two schools (Wake and UGA, I believe) and told Wake they actually really liked UGA, but would go to Wake if they offered more so Wake did and he accepted. You can try to negotiate before the first seat deposit (April 1), but don't expect any kind of increase until after the first deposit when people start withdrawing. Also, Wake declined to give more money to people who had better offers at better schools (i.e. more money at W&M and W&L, etc.).

TL;DR: Wake isn't great about negotiating scholarships.

hurricane10

Bronze

Post by hurricane10 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:30 pm

Does anyone know how good Wake Forest is with need-based grants? I was skimming last year's thread and really couldn't find any info on it.. it seems like most people who had sub 163/164 LSAT's regardless of GPA were planning on paying full price... which is definitely something I cannot afford to do (and not even sure someone without undergrad debt should do).

iambeautiful

Bronze

Post by iambeautiful » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:22 pm

Wow and damn I didn't know Wake was that stingy with money. I was kinda hoping they would be lenient. They seem to like urm tho so we'll see.

hurricane10

Bronze

Post by hurricane10 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:33 pm

iambeautiful wrote:Wow and damn I didn't know Wake was that stingy with money. I was kinda hoping they would be lenient. They seem to like urm tho so we'll see.
I wouldn't call them stingy but it seems like LSAT scores are the sole criteria for merit aid.. correct me if I'm wrong but last year's thread had a bunch of people with high LSAT's and very low GPA's getting significant scholarship money but reverse splitters like myself didn't get anything. Anyone have any insight?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”