Wake 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jdemmitt

Silver

Re: Wake 2011

Post by jdemmitt » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:54 pm

The preppy vibe was lost on me, I did not notice. It seemed casual and laid back. People were friendly and polite. No one died on our ASD so that was good too.

irishvt14

Bronze

Post by irishvt14 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:57 pm

I thought most people were accepted via status checker/email combo?

There are quite a few waitlisted applicants. I, for one, was waitlisted with a 163 so unless you're URM I would say you're WL too.

nyk4life

New

Post by nyk4life » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:02 pm

Welp, the DLP didn't keep me curious very long. Just got the waitlist email. Now the obvious question is: how many people have been given the dreaded WL and then were later accepted. If so, did you send a LOCI?

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:13 pm

jdemmitt wrote:The preppy vibe was lost on me, I did not notice. It seemed casual and laid back. People were friendly and polite. No one died on our ASD so that was good too.
I think I felt the preppiness mostly while on the undergrad quad area when we had lunch. The law students that were mingling at lunch were very laid back and friendly.

clemson09

New

Post by clemson09 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:14 pm

Got the WL email as well... Curious as to how many came off in previous years as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rivkah

New

Post by rivkah » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:24 pm

I got waitlisted in the beginning of March, sent off my loci and now I'm just praying! This is my absolute first choice and I wouldn't want to go any where else. I'm trying to come up with ideas of how to get off the waitlist, but if anyone has any insight I'd love to hear it! Good luck all :)

SrLaw

Silver

Post by SrLaw » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:36 pm

When I say southern, I mean the good ole' boy mentality?

Kimah0403

New

Post by Kimah0403 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:43 pm

I was accepted last week and my status checker said "decision letter pending". I called the admissions office and she told me that I would receive my decision shortly. After reading this board I thought i was a definite denial, but rhe email said CONGRATULATIONS

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:46 pm

SrLaw wrote:When I say southern, I mean the good ole' boy mentality?
Honestly I have no idea if this is commonplace at Wake. It definitely is in the small towns I have lived in here in NC. I would guess that having the majority of the law student body from out of state prevents that from happening. It's not to say there aren't some legacy students attending that might get preferential treatment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PirateCap'n

Silver

Post by PirateCap'n » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:57 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
SrLaw wrote:When I say southern, I mean the good ole' boy mentality?
Honestly I have no idea if this is commonplace at Wake. It definitely is in the small towns I have lived in here in NC. I would guess that having the majority of the law student body from out of state prevents that from happening. It's not to say there aren't some legacy students attending that might get preferential treatment.
The NC court system has the "good ole' boy mentality" without a doubt (along with practically every city in the state that isn't Raleigh or Charlotte), though you don't really get that vibe with the student body. As NCtoDC said, a large part of the class is out of state (~70%), and lots of those folks are northerners from bigger cities (NY, Boston, etc.). You'll never be completely free of that mentality (but it's really nothing more than networking -- just a different kind than some others). Either way, you'll be fine at the law school if you're not from NC since most of the other students aren't either.

nyk4life

New

Post by nyk4life » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:09 pm

rivkah wrote:I got waitlisted in the beginning of March, sent off my loci and now I'm just praying! This is my absolute first choice and I wouldn't want to go any where else. I'm trying to come up with ideas of how to get off the waitlist, but if anyone has any insight I'd love to hear it! Good luck all :)
I also wish I had some insight as to how to get off. Sadly I looked up the graph on LSN, and there is quite a lot of yellow. http://wake.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats And with Wake's small class size and my #s (157/3.63), I am very pessimistic.

Compared to a similar school, Tulane (which I am also waitlisted at), there are only three yellow marks, albeit I'd say maybe about 60% of the total apps that Wake has. http://tulane.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

I'll most likely be proactive and send my loci, but not expecting anything miraculous to follow.

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:01 pm

Yea it seems like a lot of people (even those with higher than median stats got waitlisted this year) and a lot of people with lower stats got scholarships. It looks like its been a weird cycle for Wake this year.

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:12 pm

I keep telling you guys, it was my headshot that got me the money. I do a really good inquisitive look.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hoos29

New

Post by hoos29 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:31 pm

does anyone know what the deal is with deposits? The original acceptance said to put a 300 deposit by April 15, but with the scholarship it said to put down a deposit by april 1. Does that mean we gotta put down 300 by april 1? I couldnt find anything on their site. and can we pay online or do we have to mail a check?

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:37 pm

hoos29 wrote:does anyone know what the deal is with deposits? The original acceptance said to put a 300 deposit by April 15, but with the scholarship it said to put down a deposit by april 1. Does that mean we gotta put down 300 by april 1? I couldnt find anything on their site. and can we pay online or do we have to mail a check?
You need to mail a check tomorrow. No online payments, no credit cards.

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:19 pm

Just withdrew and freed up 60k. I hope it goes to someone ITT.

esquiress

New

Post by esquiress » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:02 pm

jdemmitt wrote:I am still waiting to hear from UNC as well. Unc is close to both of my parents so convenience certainly doesn't hurt. However, wf really seems like a good place.
I heard from UNC Chapel Hill last Friday after waiting forever. They came back with scholly yesterday morning. But I gotta say, their taking so long really turned me off. And having visited both schools, I don't think any amount of money at UNC would make me rescind my commitment to Wake. The atmosphere is completely different between the two schools. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back from UNC--it is refreshing to know whether you've been accepted, but if you like Wake for all the reasons that set it apart from other law schools, you would probably choose Wake anyways...but that's just my humble opinion. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hoos29

New

Post by hoos29 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:53 pm

esquiress wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:I am still waiting to hear from UNC as well. Unc is close to both of my parents so convenience certainly doesn't hurt. However, wf really seems like a good place.
I heard from UNC Chapel Hill last Friday after waiting forever. They came back with scholly yesterday morning. But I gotta say, their taking so long really turned me off. And having visited both schools, I don't think any amount of money at UNC would make me rescind my commitment to Wake. The atmosphere is completely different between the two schools. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back from UNC--it is refreshing to know whether you've been accepted, but if you like Wake for all the reasons that set it apart from other law schools, you would probably choose Wake anyways...but that's just my humble opinion. :)

I'm in the exact same boat except I haven't heard from UNC yet. I think will get in, but I really don't even care anymore. UNC has really turned me off and I am really leaning toward Wake regardless. Plus scholarships make the schools equal $$ anyway

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Has anyone had any luck negotiating with Wake?? I didn't get a penny but a few people with very similar, and I think one or 2 with lower #s got some. I got some pretty decent offers to higher ranked schools... is it worth a try??

edit: I know its last minute and grasping at straws, but 10k a year would make the BIGGEST difference... :(

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:14 pm

Barbie wrote:Has anyone had any luck negotiating with Wake?? I didn't get a penny but a few people with very similar, and I think one or 2 with lower #s got some. I got some pretty decent offers to higher ranked schools... is it worth a try??
Are you serious? You'd turn your back on UF like that, lol. I think it is possible after April 1 to get some money from them. However, nobody has really had any luck with negotiating an increase on a current scholly.

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:17 pm

Barbie wrote:Has anyone had any luck negotiating with Wake?? I didn't get a penny but a few people with very similar, and I think one or 2 with lower #s got some. I got some pretty decent offers to higher ranked schools... is it worth a try??

edit: I know its last minute and grasping at straws, but 10k a year would make the BIGGEST difference... :(
To echo Nc, no money is available till after the scholly seat deposit. Some money will free up after that and they will redistribute.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:17 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
Are you serious? You'd turn your back on UF like that, lol. I think it is possible after April 1 to get some money from them. However, nobody has really had any luck with negotiating an increase on a current scholly.
UF is turning their back on ME! I'll PM you if you want details haha.

and isn't the scholly seat deposit due... tomorrow?

NCtoDC

Silver

Post by NCtoDC » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:21 pm

Barbie wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
UF is turning their back on ME! I'll PM you if you want details haha.

and isn't the scholly seat deposit due... tomorrow?
Yes, scholly seat deposits are due tomorrow, and yes I want details!!!

jdemmitt

Silver

Post by jdemmitt » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:26 pm

I imagine they will send money before the 15th to encourage students to deposit.

Edit: I want details too! I always get left out of girl talk.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:01 pm

Barbie no! Get out of this thread!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”