Howard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby kk19131 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:13 pm

starlight007 wrote:Is there any way to reach this school because they outright rejected me before my new lsat score came in when I specifically emailed and called them and told them to wait for my new scores which significantly incresed. I'm very pissed :evil:



Howard University School of Law
Office of Admissions
202-806-8008

User avatar
starlight007
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:16 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby starlight007 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:24 pm

kk19131 wrote:
starlight007 wrote:Is there any way to reach this school because they outright rejected me before my new lsat score came in when I specifically emailed and called them and told them to wait for my new scores which significantly increased. I'm very pissed :evil:



Howard University School of Law
Office of Admissions
202-806-8008


Yes I believe I will have to call that office again.

User avatar
ladylegale
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:31 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby ladylegale » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:57 pm

kk19131 wrote:
ladylegale wrote:
CaseClosed wrote:Just got accepted today. I am a little skeptical as there is an error in the acceptance email. "Congratulations! I am extremely pleases to inform you that you have been admitted to the JD program at the Howard University School of Law for the fall 2011 academic year." Clearly this was not copy edited. Also, there is no mention of a scholarship. Does that mean they are not offering me any money or will they send more info in my admissions packet in the mail?



Yeah I was a little disappointed in the error in the email as well. But I was more disappointed when I saw that there was no mention of a scholarship. Though my efforts will likely be in vain, I fully intend to email them begging and pleading for just a little cash. I mean my numbers aren't phenomenal so i wasn't expecting a full ride or anything. But gosh throw me a bone howard!



Do you think this is where you want to go?



To be honest if they were offering me some $$$$ then I would say hell yes!!! I would love to live in DC! I would love to get the experience of attending an HBCU (didn't for undergrad)! The history in those walls literally takes my breath away!

Now as much as I hate to say it I've found myself feeding into the t14, howard, or bust mentality displayed here on TLS. Obviously I'm not getting into any t14, so I'm thinking I'll have more opportunities at Howard than I will at any other school on my list. . . . But still the idea of the debt-load from paying sticker there makes me naseous.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby kk19131 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:34 pm

ladylegale wrote:
To be honest if they were offering me some $$$$ then I would say hell yes!!! I would love to live in DC! I would love to get the experience of attending an HBCU (didn't for undergrad)! The history in those walls literally takes my breath away!

Now as much as I hate to say it I've found myself feeding into the t14, howard, or bust mentality displayed here on TLS. Obviously I'm not getting into any t14, so I'm thinking I'll have more opportunities at Howard than I will at any other school on my list. . . . But still the idea of the debt-load from paying sticker there makes me naseous.


Well, just an FYI... it would seem that only the top 15% or so of Howard's classes get Biglaw... and those are probably all scholarship students too...

User avatar
ladylegale
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:31 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby ladylegale » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:02 pm

kk19131 wrote:
ladylegale wrote:
To be honest if they were offering me some $$$$ then I would say hell yes!!! I would love to live in DC! I would love to get the experience of attending an HBCU (didn't for undergrad)! The history in those walls literally takes my breath away!

Now as much as I hate to say it I've found myself feeding into the t14, howard, or bust mentality displayed here on TLS. Obviously I'm not getting into any t14, so I'm thinking I'll have more opportunities at Howard than I will at any other school on my list. . . . But still the idea of the debt-load from paying sticker there makes me naseous.


Well, just an FYI... it would seem that only the top 15% or so of Howard's classes get Biglaw... and those are probably all scholarship students too...


I'm well aware that Big law firms don't go deep into the class at Howard, but from what I hear they don't go deep into the class at t2's either. So what's your point? Seriously, am I missing something? Like most law school candidates I plan to do well at whatever school I attend. If do well at Howard, i presume that I'll have more opportunities, than if I were to go to another one of the schools on my list and do well there. Please let me know what I'm not accounting for in this reasoning. This is a very important decision and I really do value outside opinions.

And just because I haven't been offered a scholarship there doesn't make me any less capable than some of the ppl who have been. I found that slightly offensive.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby kk19131 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:10 pm

ladylegale wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
ladylegale wrote:
To be honest if they were offering me some $$$$ then I would say hell yes!!! I would love to live in DC! I would love to get the experience of attending an HBCU (didn't for undergrad)! The history in those walls literally takes my breath away!

Now as much as I hate to say it I've found myself feeding into the t14, howard, or bust mentality displayed here on TLS. Obviously I'm not getting into any t14, so I'm thinking I'll have more opportunities at Howard than I will at any other school on my list. . . . But still the idea of the debt-load from paying sticker there makes me naseous.


Well, just an FYI... it would seem that only the top 15% or so of Howard's classes get Biglaw... and those are probably all scholarship students too...


I'm well aware that Big law firms don't go deep into the class at Howard, but from what I hear they don't go deep into the class at t2's either. So what's your point? Seriously, am I missing something? Like most law school candidates I plan to do well at whatever school I attend. If do well at Howard, i presume that I'll have more opportunities, than if I were to go to another one of the schools on my list and do well there. Please let me know what I'm not accounting for in this reasoning. This is a very important decision and I really do value outside opinions.

And just because I haven't been offered a scholarship there doesn't make me any less capable than some of the ppl who have been. I found that slightly offensive.


I'm not here to offend you. All I'm saying is that it's pretty brazen of you to assume that you'll be at or above top 15% at Howard simply because you think you'll do well. I mean, I'm pretty sure everybody thinks the same thing going into law school. What about the 85% of the class who don't do well enough...?

I'm not saying that your not being offered a scholarship makes you less capable, just that not only will you be competing against those who were offered scholarships... but you'll also have significantly more debt than they do as well. I think that's a pretty big gamble to make simply because you have faith in your ability.

100% of the students in a 1L class are confident they will be in the top 10%. 90% of them are wrong.

User avatar
ladylegale
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:31 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby ladylegale » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:10 pm

kk19131 wrote:
ladylegale wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
ladylegale wrote:
To be honest if they were offering me some $$$$ then I would say hell yes!!! I would love to live in DC! I would love to get the experience of attending an HBCU (didn't for undergrad)! The history in those walls literally takes my breath away!

Now as much as I hate to say it I've found myself feeding into the t14, howard, or bust mentality displayed here on TLS. Obviously I'm not getting into any t14, so I'm thinking I'll have more opportunities at Howard than I will at any other school on my list. . . . But still the idea of the debt-load from paying sticker there makes me naseous.


Well, just an FYI... it would seem that only the top 15% or so of Howard's classes get Biglaw... and those are probably all scholarship students too...


I'm well aware that Big law firms don't go deep into the class at Howard, but from what I hear they don't go deep into the class at t2's either. So what's your point? Seriously, am I missing something? Like most law school candidates I plan to do well at whatever school I attend. If do well at Howard, i presume that I'll have more opportunities, than if I were to go to another one of the schools on my list and do well there. Please let me know what I'm not accounting for in this reasoning. This is a very important decision and I really do value outside opinions.

And just because I haven't been offered a scholarship there doesn't make me any less capable than some of the ppl who have been. I found that slightly offensive.


I'm not here to offend you. All I'm saying is that it's pretty brazen of you to assume that you'll be at or above top 15% at Howard simply because you think you'll do well. I mean, I'm pretty sure everybody thinks the same thing going into law school. What about the 85% of the class who don't do well enough...?

I'm not saying that your not being offered a scholarship makes you less capable, just that not only will you be competing against those who were offered scholarships... but you'll also have significantly more debt than they do as well. I think that's a pretty big gamble to make simply because you have faith in your ability.

100% of the students in a 1L class are confident they will be in the top 10%. 90% of them are wrong.



Fair enough. I suppose I took that statement about the scholarships the wrong way. Thanx for clarifying.

My only thing is I'm not entirely sure that the "other 85%" at Catholic or similarly ranked schools are doing much better than the "other 85%" at Howard. However, the top 15% at Howard may fair a bit better than the top 15% at such schools.

I suppose the only con is the fact that I will be in more debt coming from Howard if I don't rank well within the class. But at this point I'm not sure how significant of a factor this is to me. Either way I'll be in debt (no one is offering me a full ride). Either way I'll have trouble servicing the loans if my salary sucks.

So yes, its a Gamble. . . . decisions, decisions

User avatar
paratrooper06
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby paratrooper06 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:04 pm

starlight007 wrote:Is there any way to reach this school because they outright rejected me before my new lsat score came in when I specifically emailed and called them and told them to wait for my new scores which significantly incresed. I'm very pissed :evil:


Apparently reaching Howard and actually speaking to an admissions staffer requires some sort of weird combination of asking to be transferred to various offices. It's so silly. How is it that Howard does not know that students in my position who have been accepted to multiple Tier One's would still consider Howard IF they would show impressive organization and service to potential applicants? Why would I want to go to Law School there when they are so disorganized and unprofessional in comparison to other schools?

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby kk19131 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:21 pm

paratrooper06 wrote:
starlight007 wrote:Is there any way to reach this school because they outright rejected me before my new lsat score came in when I specifically emailed and called them and told them to wait for my new scores which significantly incresed. I'm very pissed :evil:


Apparently reaching Howard and actually speaking to an admissions staffer requires some sort of weird combination of asking to be transferred to various offices. It's so silly. How is it that Howard does not know that students in my position who have been accepted to multiple Tier One's would still consider Howard IF they would show impressive organization and service to potential applicants? Why would I want to go to Law School there when they are so disorganized and unprofessional in comparison to other schools?



They called me from a blocked/private phone number... as if to say "don't bother trying to reach us".

:lol:

User avatar
paratrooper06
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby paratrooper06 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:11 am

kk19131 wrote:
paratrooper06 wrote:
starlight007 wrote:Is there any way to reach this school because they outright rejected me before my new lsat score came in when I specifically emailed and called them and told them to wait for my new scores which significantly incresed. I'm very pissed :evil:


Apparently reaching Howard and actually speaking to an admissions staffer requires some sort of weird combination of asking to be transferred to various offices. It's so silly. How is it that Howard does not know that students in my position who have been accepted to multiple Tier One's would still consider Howard IF they would show impressive organization and service to potential applicants? Why would I want to go to Law School there when they are so disorganized and unprofessional in comparison to other schools?



They called me from a blocked/private phone number... as if to say "don't bother trying to reach us".

:lol:


A blocked number?!... SMH

User avatar
nightman09
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby nightman09 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:41 am

Are there any ASW? I've emailed a few times, and haven't heard anything back...

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby SrLaw » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:43 pm

Can a white individual apply to Howard? I am curious.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby kk19131 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:44 pm

SrLaw wrote:Can a white individual apply to Howard? I am curious.


What kind of troll-like nonsense is that?

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby SrLaw » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:45 pm

kk19131 wrote:
SrLaw wrote:Can a white individual apply to Howard? I am curious.


What kind of troll-like nonsense is that?



It is a serious query.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby kk19131 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:53 pm

SrLaw wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
SrLaw wrote:Can a white individual apply to Howard? I am curious.


What kind of troll-like nonsense is that?



It is a serious query.


There are 29 white people at HUSL.

Nmatthe
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:03 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby Nmatthe » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:16 am

Has anyone actually decided to attend HUSL for this upcoming cycle yet?

User avatar
nightman09
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby nightman09 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:10 am

Nmatthe wrote:Has anyone actually decided to attend HUSL for this upcoming cycle yet?


I'd consider it... IF SOMEONE INFORMED US ABOUT ASW!

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby kk19131 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:10 pm

Nmatthe wrote:Has anyone actually decided to attend HUSL for this upcoming cycle yet?



I'd more than likely go... but I'm scared of the bureaucratic nightmare that I'm sure would come from going to Howard.

Nmatthe
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:03 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby Nmatthe » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:52 pm

kk19131 wrote:
Nmatthe wrote:Has anyone actually decided to attend HUSL for this upcoming cycle yet?



I'd more than likely go... but I'm scared of the bureaucratic nightmare that I'm sure would come from going to Howard.


Yes, this scares me also. But, HUSL really intrigues me and so does the city of DC.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby kk19131 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:42 pm

Nmatthe wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
Nmatthe wrote:Has anyone actually decided to attend HUSL for this upcoming cycle yet?



I'd more than likely go... but I'm scared of the bureaucratic nightmare that I'm sure would come from going to Howard.


Yes, this scares me also. But, HUSL really intrigues me and so does the city of DC.


Well, I'm also scared of having to stay in the top 15%... I don't want to be cutthroat. :shock:

AyePrice
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:13 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby AyePrice » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:53 pm

I applied 1/31 and was accepted on 3/4 by email and then mailed an acceptance letter with a $20k renewable merit scholarship. Haven't decided where I'll be attending b/c I received $$$$ from other schools. But I'm leaning towards DC after my visit last week...so we'll see. :D

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby kk19131 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:09 pm

Top 15% at Howard is something like 24 out of 165 1LS.

:shock:

Nmatthe
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:03 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby Nmatthe » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:08 am

kk19131 wrote:Top 15% at Howard is something like 24 out of 165 1LS.

:shock:

That's nerve wrecking, it all comes down to decisions decisions decisions. I'm really leaning towards HUSL.

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby pixytree » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:22 pm

kk19131 wrote:
Nmatthe wrote:
kk19131 wrote:
Nmatthe wrote:Has anyone actually decided to attend HUSL for this upcoming cycle yet?



I'd more than likely go... but I'm scared of the bureaucratic nightmare that I'm sure would come from going to Howard.


Yes, this scares me also. But, HUSL really intrigues me and so does the city of DC.


Well, I'm also scared of having to stay in the top 15%... I don't want to be cutthroat. :shock:


If you're going to Howard, you should want to be (not an asshole, but working hard)! You'll need to be at the top of the class to be competitive for jobs. The market is not that great that everyone in the class will have an equal chance at jobs.

User avatar
TIMEATELL
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:13 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby TIMEATELL » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:19 am

In at HUSL as of 3/4. This is my first acceptance so I'm definitely leaning toward Howard . On the flip, the first seat deposit ($500) is due April 1st and I have yet to hear from 12 other schools :shock: . No pressure..

TIME




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”