Howard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Manash
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:49 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby Manash » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Manash wrote:Additionally, anyone know how Howard is with scholarships? Stingy? Generous?


Depends on how low is low with regards to gpa in your case. Howard has no trouble tossing a large scholarship your way if you've got a high enough lsat. The big issue is that their gpa stipulations are ludicrous. To keep the full ride they offered me I would have needed to be in the top 15% of the class. On top of that, they don't reveal the scholarship stipulation until after you put down a deposit. They absolutely refused to tell me what the scholarship stip was before putting down the deposit...the staff was upset that I even asked. Only way I found out was because I talked to a few other students who had similar scholarships.


Wow. All the scholarship offers I have received thus far have been included in the initial letter.. sounds unethical to try to trap you after paying the deposit. This school is sounding more and more like the pits.

NuNuBeaverHousn
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby NuNuBeaverHousn » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:26 pm

I applied 12/14, application received email 12/17, complete packet email 12/21 and now Im in the 8 week "Death Wait." I had to call because their emails kept going to my spam and I found the administration easy to get in contact with, but I am also coming from a HBCU so I know the heartaches of "OUR" schools. No one has heard anything? :?:

User avatar
paratrooper06
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby paratrooper06 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:07 pm

In at Howard...anyone else hear via email this afternoon?

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby pixytree » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:13 pm

paratrooper06 wrote:In at Howard...anyone else hear via email this afternoon?


Just got the email too w/ 30k for my first yr. Are these renewable?

Manash
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:49 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby Manash » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:28 pm

pixytree wrote:
paratrooper06 wrote:In at Howard...anyone else hear via email this afternoon?


Just got the email too w/ 30k for my first yr. Are these renewable?


In as well with a 17.5k. 30k? What are your numbers?

Are these schollys negotiable? I would consider Howard if I had more money.

User avatar
paratrooper06
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby paratrooper06 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:35 pm

Yeah I got 17.5 too...

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby pixytree » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:11 pm

Manash wrote:
pixytree wrote:
paratrooper06 wrote:In at Howard...anyone else hear via email this afternoon?


Just got the email too w/ 30k for my first yr. Are these renewable?


In as well with a 17.5k. 30k? What are your numbers?

Are these schollys negotiable? I would consider Howard if I had more money.


3.4/163 Most schollys are, but HBCUs are so limited in funds, it's hard to say.

User avatar
mez06
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby mez06 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:35 pm

in with 17.5 as well for only a year.

adbabe
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:25 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby adbabe » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:54 pm

i went to visit the school today (im from cali) and they handed me my acceptance packet and i talked to them about the scholarship (i got 12.5k) and it is renewable 100% if you stay in the top 25% of your class and if not it lowers somewhat and you lose it if you are below 50% so i hope that helps

really excited about this school tho sat in during a crim class and had a tour and its really nicee :D this will probably be the school i attend in the fall :mrgreen:

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby 2011Cycle » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:20 pm

adbabe wrote:i went to visit the school today (im from cali) and they handed me my acceptance packet and i talked to them about the scholarship (i got 12.5k) and it is renewable 100% if you stay in the top 25% of your class and if not it lowers somewhat and you lose it if you are below 50% so i hope that helps

really excited about this school tho sat in during a crim class and had a tour and its really nicee :D this will probably be the school i attend in the fall :mrgreen:


Adbabe, Thanks for the first hand account on a subject many of us will ask. Congrats on the acceptance and scholarship.

caribwonder
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby caribwonder » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:13 pm

2011Cycle wrote:
adbabe wrote:i went to visit the school today (im from cali) and they handed me my acceptance packet and i talked to them about the scholarship (i got 12.5k) and it is renewable 100% if you stay in the top 25% of your class and if not it lowers somewhat and you lose it if you are below 50% so i hope that helps

really excited about this school tho sat in during a crim class and had a tour and its really nicee :D this will probably be the school i attend in the fall :mrgreen:


Adbabe, Thanks for the first hand account on a subject many of us will ask. Congrats on the acceptance and scholarship.



Hi guys, congrats on getting in and your scholarships. I too got a scholarship and was wondering what the terms and conditions are. Top 25% doesn't seem so bad.... though I wonder if it is more strict depending on what amount you get? There was a guy in another post who said Howard told him he had to stay in the top 15% to keep his full ride scholarship. Maybe it is top 25% for 12.5 and Perhaps top 20% for 17.5k....... just a thought/query

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:38 pm

caribwonder wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:
adbabe wrote:i went to visit the school today (im from cali) and they handed me my acceptance packet and i talked to them about the scholarship (i got 12.5k) and it is renewable 100% if you stay in the top 25% of your class and if not it lowers somewhat and you lose it if you are below 50% so i hope that helps

really excited about this school tho sat in during a crim class and had a tour and its really nicee :D this will probably be the school i attend in the fall :mrgreen:


Adbabe, Thanks for the first hand account on a subject many of us will ask. Congrats on the acceptance and scholarship.



Hi guys, congrats on getting in and your scholarships. I too got a scholarship and was wondering what the terms and conditions are. Top 25% doesn't seem so bad.... though I wonder if it is more strict depending on what amount you get? There was a guy in another post who said Howard told him he had to stay in the top 15% to keep his full ride scholarship. Maybe it is top 25% for 12.5 and Perhaps top 20% for 17.5k....... just a thought/query

A top 25% stipulation is ridiculously harsh. I would see if you could negotiate out of that or at least get it relaxed, because it basically means that you have a 75% chance of losing your scholarship.

User avatar
paratrooper06
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby paratrooper06 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:54 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
caribwonder wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:
adbabe wrote:i went to visit the school today (im from cali) and they handed me my acceptance packet and i talked to them about the scholarship (i got 12.5k) and it is renewable 100% if you stay in the top 25% of your class and if not it lowers somewhat and you lose it if you are below 50% so i hope that helps

really excited about this school tho sat in during a crim class and had a tour and its really nicee :D this will probably be the school i attend in the fall :mrgreen:


Adbabe, Thanks for the first hand account on a subject many of us will ask. Congrats on the acceptance and scholarship.



Hi guys, congrats on getting in and your scholarships. I too got a scholarship and was wondering what the terms and conditions are. Top 25% doesn't seem so bad.... though I wonder if it is more strict depending on what amount you get? There was a guy in another post who said Howard told him he had to stay in the top 15% to keep his full ride scholarship. Maybe it is top 25% for 12.5 and Perhaps top 20% for 17.5k....... just a thought/query

A top 25% stipulation is ridiculously harsh. I would see if you could negotiate out of that or at least get it relaxed, because it basically means that you have a 75% chance of losing your scholarship.


Top 25%!... That's ridiculously harsh. They are doing that banking on the fact that 75% wont keep it and they can thereby save money and keep you at Howard. Overall I can't justify going to Howard over the top 40 schools I've gotten into... I'm just sayin. Not that I dislike the school, it has some benefits.

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby pixytree » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:26 am

I don't know. Howard's scholly has made me reconsider things. I applied in October and didn't hear anything until last week so I was pretty much ready to bypass them for a T10. But I haven't gotten much from any of them yet and I'm not sure I can justify going to a T10 sticker over a full ride+living $$$ at Howard. I'm a tad bit torn.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:35 pm

pixytree wrote:I don't know. Howard's scholly has made me reconsider things. I applied in October and didn't hear anything until last week so I was pretty much ready to bypass them for a T10. But I haven't gotten much from any of them yet and I'm not sure I can justify going to a T10 sticker over a full ride+living $$$ at Howard. I'm a tad bit torn.



With the high col in DC, I think you'd be unwise to take a full ride plus only 5k in living expenses over admission at a t10.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 pm

pixytree wrote:I don't know. Howard's scholly has made me reconsider things. I applied in October and didn't hear anything until last week so I was pretty much ready to bypass them for a T10. But I haven't gotten much from any of them yet and I'm not sure I can justify going to a T10 sticker over a full ride+living $$$ at Howard. I'm a tad bit torn.


That would be a bad idea. Try to negotiate for more aid, but in the end, a full-ride at HU (Im not sure what stipulations your scholarship has) does not compare to the opportunity to go to a T10 school.

User avatar
paratrooper06
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby paratrooper06 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:06 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
pixytree wrote:I don't know. Howard's scholly has made me reconsider things. I applied in October and didn't hear anything until last week so I was pretty much ready to bypass them for a T10. But I haven't gotten much from any of them yet and I'm not sure I can justify going to a T10 sticker over a full ride+living $$$ at Howard. I'm a tad bit torn.


That would be a bad idea. Try to negotiate for more aid, but in the end, a full-ride at HU (Im not sure what stipulations your scholarship has) does not compare to the opportunity to go to a T10 school.


Agreed. I would take a Top 10 school easily before Howard. The reality is that Howard is a TTT school.

jsimp
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:53 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby jsimp » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Decided to finally apply last week. Was kinda upset I they wouldn't waiver the fee($60) even though EVER other law school I applied to waived the application fee. But as my best friend put it, if Howard did that they probably wouldn't get any money from application fees considering the majority of the applicants are URM who 9 times out of 10 are the ones receiving fee waivers.

Only received one email since applying:

Dear Mr. XXX,

Thank you for your interest in Howard University School of Law. Your file was received in our office on 01/23/2011. You will be notified shortly of the status of your application.

Thank you,

Office of Admissions


I think its really weird that they don't include contact information in their emails. Never heard of a law school not wanting you to call them. Probably won't get a final decision til April considering how long it is taking the other people on here to get a decision.

jsimp
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:53 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby jsimp » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:42 pm

Just received my second email from Howard, my application is currently under review.

Dear XXX:

Your application for admission to Howard University School of Law is now complete and under review by the Admissions Committee.

You can expect a decision within eight weeks. If you desire a status update, please do not call or email until at least eight weeks has passed, based upon the date this email was issued, as we are working to diligently process thousands of applications for the fall academic term. However, if you have other questions or concerns feel free to email us. We promise to communicate with you again when a decision has been made.

Thank you for your patience and interest in Howard University School of Law.


Office of Admissions


One step closer. Keeping my figures crossed and praying that I get accepted.

adbabe
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:25 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby adbabe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:18 pm

anyone else accepted who is planning on attending?

adbabe
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:25 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby adbabe » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:19 pm

jsimp wrote:Just received my second email from Howard, my application is currently under review.

Dear XXX:

Your application for admission to Howard University School of Law is now complete and under review by the Admissions Committee.

You can expect a decision within eight weeks. If you desire a status update, please do not call or email until at least eight weeks has passed, based upon the date this email was issued, as we are working to diligently process thousands of applications for the fall academic term. However, if you have other questions or concerns feel free to email us. We promise to communicate with you again when a decision has been made.

Thank you for your patience and interest in Howard University School of Law.


Office of Admissions


One step closer. Keeping my figures crossed and praying that I get accepted.




Good luck!

Manash
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:49 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby Manash » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:55 pm

paratrooper06 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
pixytree wrote:I don't know. Howard's scholly has made me reconsider things. I applied in October and didn't hear anything until last week so I was pretty much ready to bypass them for a T10. But I haven't gotten much from any of them yet and I'm not sure I can justify going to a T10 sticker over a full ride+living $$$ at Howard. I'm a tad bit torn.


That would be a bad idea. Try to negotiate for more aid, but in the end, a full-ride at HU (Im not sure what stipulations your scholarship has) does not compare to the opportunity to go to a T10 school.


Agreed. I would take a Top 10 school easily before Howard. The reality is that Howard is a TTT school.


Definitely.

User avatar
kk19131
Posts: 1054
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:08 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby kk19131 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:24 pm

I was admitted with a big ol' scholarship... but I have to be in the top 15%

...that's crazy. :lol:

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:50 pm

kk19131 wrote:I was admitted with a big ol' scholarship... but I have to be in the top 15%

...that's crazy. :lol:


Howard be on that straight bullshit. Who do they think they are kidding?

leonal41
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:11 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby leonal41 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:41 pm

in wit 20,000 scholly...with top 15% stip lol




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, j431e782, ramp_999 and 17 guests