Howard 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby 2011Cycle » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:26 pm

I could not locate a thread referencing the Howard 2011 Cycle, thus I am starting one.

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby 2011Cycle » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:50 pm

Just received application complete email from Howard and now under review. 8 week timer starts now.

adbabe
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:25 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby adbabe » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:33 pm

they let you know in 8 weeks exactly? *nervous*

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby 2011Cycle » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:36 pm

Good to finally see someone else post!

adbabe
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:25 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby adbabe » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:35 pm

sent application 11/7 says decision will be made 4-6 weeks not 8 :-/ havent gotten a "complete application" email yet tho

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:44 pm

I MAY send HU an app. I go to Howard for undergrad, but I had no plans of staying. Someone just recommended I throw an app their way to see if I can get a full scholarship or something. Its only $12, so why not?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:46 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:I MAY send HU an app. I go to Howard for undergrad, but I had no plans of staying. Someone just recommended I throw an app their way to see if I can get a full scholarship or something. Its only $12, so why not?



With your gpa and current lsat (I know you indicated that you'd be retaking), Howard is actually a really good safety net to have...

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:I MAY send HU an app. I go to Howard for undergrad, but I had no plans of staying. Someone just recommended I throw an app their way to see if I can get a full scholarship or something. Its only $12, so why not?



With your gpa and current lsat (I know you indicated that you'd be retaking), Howard is actually a really good safety net to have...

Yeah, so I figured. I guess I am just sick to death of this school and really do not want to stay here. They have pissed me off 1 too many times. Im sure I can still get into a better school, so let's hope it doesnt come to Howard or nothing.

Edit: Im not paying $60 to apply (I think that was the cost), so I requested a fee waiver. If I dont get it, I'm not doing it. I was surprised they didnt automatically waive the fee for LSAC fee waiver candidates.

adbabe
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:25 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby adbabe » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:18 pm

.
Last edited by adbabe on Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby 2011Cycle » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:26 pm

adbabe wrote:is anyone else in review yet? or heard anything back yet? i went under review on 11/23



Under review since 10/12

User avatar
mez06
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby mez06 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:35 pm

I had my application in by 11/1/10 and I receive an email on 12/1/10 saying that I did not send in the verification form which is holding up my application from being under review. That is the only that that pisses me off about OUR schools.

The verification form seems needless. Basically the form that my UG faxed them did not adequately answer both questions on the verification form. They informed me of this a month later and NOW I'm finally fixing the situation.

Anyone have any first hand experiences with the law school or comments about life at UG there?

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:15 am

mez06 wrote:I had my application in by 11/1/10 and I receive an email on 12/1/10 saying that I did not send in the verification form which is holding up my application from being under review. That is the only that that pisses me off about OUR schools.

The verification form seems needless. Basically the form that my UG faxed them did not adequately answer both questions on the verification form. They informed me of this a month later and NOW I'm finally fixing the situation.

Anyone have any first hand experiences with the law school or comments about life at UG there?

Howard is, sad to say, your typical HBCU, which means everything you think it means, for better and for worse.

Customer service is non-existent, they are slow in notifying you (if they do so at all) about any problems, the money is short, and the facilities are sub par. However, the law school is kind of far from the main campus, which will sort of insulate you from the UG lifestyle if that is what you want. You can still get to campus via shuttle, but the shuttle is slow in coming and is not regular at all.

If you are already familiar with HBCUs and what they have to offer, Howard may just be a good choice. If not, then I would definitely visit the campus, talk to current students, and realize what you are getting yourself into. I would not say that I totally regret going to Howard, but I will say that I cannot wait to get to a different school.

nsdr
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby nsdr » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:29 pm

I've also been under review since 10/12 and have not heard anything yet.

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby 2011Cycle » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:33 pm

nsdr wrote:I've also been under review since 10/12 and have not heard anything yet.


+1

User avatar
paratrooper06
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby paratrooper06 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:46 pm

Why is it that Howard is the only law school admissions office in America in which it is nearly impossible to EVER get in touch with someone. WTF?!?! Their horrifying administration is partly a reason why people pass it up. They definitely get some of the smartest black folks in America, but damn, I want a smooth law school experience...

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:00 pm

paratrooper06 wrote:Why is it that Howard is the only law school admissions office in America in which it is nearly impossible to EVER get in touch with someone. WTF?!?! Their horrifying administration is partly a reason why people pass it up. They definitely get some of the smartest black folks in America, but damn, I want a smooth law school experience...



Two anecdotes on this point:

1. I called last year and the phone rang and rang. Called again 10 mins later and the guy answered; "HELLO!" I thought to myself, surely this is the wrong number so I said sorry wrong number and called again. The guy again answered "HELLO!" I asked, is this Howard Law School, he said "oh yeah yeah it is."

2. I sat in on a class, and at several points in the class the professor railed on how horrible both the undergrad and law school administration was.

Just made me laugh...

hpfl121
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:54 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby hpfl121 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:51 pm

About how long after submitting did it take for Howard to send some of you guys a status checker?

User avatar
2011Cycle
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:08 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby 2011Cycle » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:13 pm

hpfl121 wrote:About how long after submitting did it take for Howard to send some of you guys a status checker?

Howard does not have a status checker

adbabe
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:25 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby adbabe » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:06 am

supposedly, howard is gonna take 12weeks before a decision is made instead of 8 -__-

anyone hear anything yet?

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 am

I ended up not applying. Good luck to everyone else though!!

Manash
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:49 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby Manash » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:23 pm

I am retaking the LSAT in June for sure but I had applied to HUSL back in November. I have a low GPA but my LSAT is way over their 75%. I have yet to receive anything and the lack of a status checker basically leaves you in a limbo. Anyone get a response? Acceptances? Rejections? Additionally, anyone know how Howard is with scholarships? Stingy? Generous?

shuh
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:33 pm

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby shuh » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:05 pm

I just got an email from them today saying my application is under review as of 1/12 and that a decision will be made within 8 wks. who knows though....

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Manash wrote:Additionally, anyone know how Howard is with scholarships? Stingy? Generous?


Depends on how low is low with regards to gpa in your case. Howard has no trouble tossing a large scholarship your way if you've got a high enough lsat. The big issue is that their gpa stipulations are ludicrous. To keep the full ride they offered me I would have needed to be in the top 15% of the class. On top of that, they don't reveal the scholarship stipulation until after you put down a deposit. They absolutely refused to tell me what the scholarship stip was before putting down the deposit...the staff was upset that I even asked. Only way I found out was because I talked to a few other students who had similar scholarships.

adbabe
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:25 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby adbabe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:09 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Manash wrote:Additionally, anyone know how Howard is with scholarships? Stingy? Generous?


Depends on how low is low with regards to gpa in your case. Howard has no trouble tossing a large scholarship your way if you've got a high enough lsat. The big issue is that their gpa stipulations are ludicrous. To keep the full ride they offered me I would have needed to be in the top 15% of the class. On top of that, they don't reveal the scholarship stipulation until after you put down a deposit. They absolutely refused to tell me what the scholarship stip was before putting down the deposit...the staff was upset that I even asked. Only way I found out was because I talked to a few other students who had similar scholarships.



do you currently go there now?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Howard 2011 Applicants

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:15 pm

adbabe wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
Manash wrote:Additionally, anyone know how Howard is with scholarships? Stingy? Generous?


Depends on how low is low with regards to gpa in your case. Howard has no trouble tossing a large scholarship your way if you've got a high enough lsat. The big issue is that their gpa stipulations are ludicrous. To keep the full ride they offered me I would have needed to be in the top 15% of the class. On top of that, they don't reveal the scholarship stipulation until after you put down a deposit. They absolutely refused to tell me what the scholarship stip was before putting down the deposit...the staff was upset that I even asked. Only way I found out was because I talked to a few other students who had similar scholarships.



do you currently go there now?



Nope. Took a stipulation free full ride+stipend at a t30 instead.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”