William & Mary 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dodgerboy86

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby dodgerboy86 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Got my acceptance packet today! Last school I applied to and the first one to accept me! Plus I got a $12,000 scholarship to boot! Pretty stoked right now; I'm taking the LSAT again on Saturday to hopefully raise my numbers and this seems like a good sign!

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:00 am

iwanta170 wrote:
masterthearts wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:Received the admit envelope today and got a pretty significant scholarship. My numbers are 165/3.8x and I'm in-state. I'm surprised I received money because of my LSAT being at their median. If I don't ultimately get into UVa or a T14 I think I may go here

Would you pick Georgetown (ranked 14) over William & Mary?

I'd probably have to think about that one for a while. Hard decision! Maybe I'd lean Georgetown but I'm not sure

Theoretically, GULC would be the smarter choice. The trouble, I think, for a lot of people is that they would be paying sticker, or close to it, at GULC, but recieving a healthy scholarship from W&M. When that is coupled with the significantly greater cost of living in DC compared to Williamsburg, the ROI at GULC just isn't great enough to justify the greater expense.
Of course, this is easy for me to say. I'm already in at W&M with scholarship, and still waiting on GULC. Also, I've never had a cent of debt in my life, and I would rather not start digging that hole now, others may feel differently.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:07 am

Capitol A wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:
masterthearts wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:Received the admit envelope today and got a pretty significant scholarship. My numbers are 165/3.8x and I'm in-state. I'm surprised I received money because of my LSAT being at their median. If I don't ultimately get into UVa or a T14 I think I may go here

Would you pick Georgetown (ranked 14) over William & Mary?

I'd probably have to think about that one for a while. Hard decision! Maybe I'd lean Georgetown but I'm not sure

Theoretically, GULC would be the smarter choice. The trouble, I think, for a lot of people is that they would be paying sticker, or close to it, at GULC, but recieving a healthy scholarship from W&M. When that is coupled with the significantly greater cost of living in DC compared to Williamsburg, the ROI at GULC just isn't great enough to justify the greater expense.
Of course, this is easy for me to say. I'm already in at W&M with scholarship, and still waiting on GULC. Also, I've never had a cent of debt in my life, and I would rather not start digging that hole now, others may feel differently.

Well, you might feel differently if parents are footing the bill.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:11 am

Well, you might feel differently if parents are footing the bill.

Of course.
There are also people who already have a ton of debt and don't think adding more will make a difference, or those who are banking on a BigLaw job (which I'm not) and figure they'll make enough money to cover the difference in cost of attendance, and many, many other reasons why people's attitudes towards debt and/or the higher cost of attendance are all different. Debt aversion is a completely personal decision. Only each individual can make this choice for themselves.

Blindc1rca

Postby Blindc1rca » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:35 am

Just got my acceptance in the mail today.
Graduate Fellowship (In-state tuition + $4,000yr)
3.85/170/OOS
I was hoping for a little more re: scholarship $ but ITE 17k/year total tuition ain't shabby.

ht2988

Postby ht2988 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:54 pm

My status checker no longer has a field where my application status is being updated... It only says has fields for Term/Year/Program Time/Degree, but nowhere does it say "File Complete," or "Under Review," or "Processing," etc. Get the picture? Does anyone know if this means anything, or is it just a glitch in the system?

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:57 pm

ht2988 wrote:My status checker no longer has a field where my application status is being updated... It only says has fields for Term/Year/Program Time/Degree, but nowhere does it say "File Complete," or "Under Review," or "Processing," etc. Get the picture? Does anyone know if this means anything, or is it just a glitch in the system?

Got the same thing going on, guessing it means we're under review, but any insight would be helpful

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:58 pm

ht2988 wrote:My status checker no longer has a field where my application status is being updated... It only says has fields for Term/Year/Program Time/Degree, but nowhere does it say "File Complete," or "Under Review," or "Processing," etc. Get the picture? Does anyone know if this means anything, or is it just a glitch in the system?

It's been like that for everyone. It means nothing. This has come up multiple times in the thread already.

Dex

Postby Dex » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:41 pm

Admitted with $15k a year. Not a bad start to the cycle.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Dex wrote:Admitted with $15k a year. Not a bad start to the cycle.

Congrats. Are you from VA?
I'm just curious since I already got accepted to GULC (FT), but have not heard a thing from Wm and Mary. I know I'm picking GULC any day, but was just very curious.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:54 pm

masterthearts wrote:

I'm just curious since I already got accepted to GULC (FT), but have not heard a thing from Wm and Mary. I know I'm picking GULC any day, but was just very curious.

dude did you get into GULC?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:54 pm

masterthearts wrote:

You got into Georgetown.

We get it.

Congratulations!

...now move on with your life.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:55 pm

masterthearts wrote:

Everyone got into GULC...

Dex

Postby Dex » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:55 pm

masterthearts wrote:

Nope OH resident.

Submitted 11/13/10
Complete 11/18/10
Decision 12/02/10

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:01 pm

dpk711 wrote:
masterthearts wrote:

Meh, I wouldn't get in (with my numbers, I decided it would be a waste of time and money to apply). But even if I did, I wouldn't start trolling the threads of other DC-area schools to boast about my acceptance. That isn't to knock Georgetown--it's a great school. But bragging is bragging and douches are douches.

justadude55

Postby justadude55 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:04 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
masterthearts wrote:

Meh, I wouldn't get in (with my numbers, I decided it would be a waste of time and money to apply). But even if I did, I wouldn't start trolling the threads of other DC-area schools to boast about my acceptance. That isn't to knock Georgetown--it's a great school. But bragging is bragging and douches are douches.

+1

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:08 pm

justadude55 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Meh, I wouldn't get in (with my numbers, I decided it would be a waste of time and money to apply). But even if I did, I wouldn't start trolling the threads of other DC-area schools to boast about my acceptance. That isn't to knock Georgetown--it's a great school. But bragging is bragging and douches are douches.

+1

+2. And GULC is still the caboose.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:10 pm

beachbum wrote:
masterthearts wrote:

Sure did, applied RD for Full Time.
Maybe my reviewer connected with me. Who knows.
Thrilling nevertheless and will most likely attend
Were you one of the ones bashing me on the UVA thread? (I think those UVA people were a little jealous0

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:11 pm

masterthearts wrote:
beachbum wrote:
masterthearts wrote:

Were you one of the ones bashing me on the UVA thread? (I think those UVA people were a little jealous0

This isn't about jealousy. This is about posting multiple times in multiple (non-germane) threads about your acceptance. You're a special snowflake because you snuck into a T14 school with a sub-25th %ile LSAT. Is that what you want to hear? Will that make you go away?
Last edited by HeavenWood on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:12 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
masterthearts wrote:

got news for you..almost didn't apply myself thinking i'd never get in. you just never know
People on these threads had me convinced I'm a failure and would have to go to a Tier 4 school.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:14 pm

masterthearts wrote:People on these threads had me convinced I'm a failure and would have to go to a Tier 4 school.

This is TLS. You have to take the good advice along with the bad. Congratulations on Georgetown, but there's no need to harp on it.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:15 pm

[dude did you get into GULC?[/quote]

Were you one of the ones bashing me on the UVA thread? (I think those UVA people were a little jealous0[/quote]

This isn't about jealousy. This is about posting multiple times in multiple (non-germane) threads about your acceptance. You're a special snowflake because you snuck into a T14 school with a sub-25th %ile LSAT. Is that what you want to hear? Will that make you go away?[/quote]

I did apply to Wm and Mary and have yet to hear. I might still consider Wm and Mary if they offer significant scholarship money. That is why I continue to follow this thread

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:18 pm

Ok, I'm outta here. I can tell when I'm not wanted

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:48 pm

Please stop posting here w/ your tactless remarks about W&M. Oh, and it's not such a mystery as to why you got into GULC FT w/ abysmal numbers; you're of course a URM. HTH

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:01 am

HeavenWood wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
masterthearts wrote:

+10000

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”