William & Mary 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
iwanta170
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby iwanta170 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:18 pm

Received the admit envelope today and got a pretty significant scholarship. My numbers are 165/3.8x and I'm in-state. I'm surprised I received money because of my LSAT being at their median.
Last edited by iwanta170 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby Gemini » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:22 pm

iwanta170 wrote:Received the admit envelope today and got a pretty significant scholarship. My numbers are 165/3.8x and I'm in-state. I'm surprised I received money because of my LSAT being at their median. If I don't ultimately get into UVa or a T14 I think I may go here


Wow, congrats!!!

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby Capitol A » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:28 pm

Does anyone have any insight as to how open W&M is to negotiation of scholarship money? I know the TLS school profile does not make it sound too promising, but that profile also says that only 28% of students get scholarship, while the W&M view book places that number at 65%. What does everyone think?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:31 pm

Capitol A wrote:Does anyone have any insight as to how open W&M is to negotiation of scholarship money? I know the TLS school profile does not make it sound too promising, but that profile also says that only 28% of students get scholarship, while the W&M view book places that number at 65%. What does everyone think?


Glancing on LSN, it seems people at and above median get some sort of $, so ~50% + URM scholarships could very well equal 65%.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby Capitol A » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:36 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Capitol A wrote:Does anyone have any insight as to how open W&M is to negotiation of scholarship money? I know the TLS school profile does not make it sound too promising, but that profile also says that only 28% of students get scholarship, while the W&M view book places that number at 65%. What does everyone think?


Glancing on LSN, it seems people at and above median get some sort of $, so ~50% + URM scholarships could very well equal 65%.

So, any insight on negotiation? The reason I'm asking...I am strongly leaning towards attending W&M, but would like it (obviously) to be as affordable as possible. I'm expecting to get decent money from George Mason, and I'm hoping that I can use an offer from another VA state school to negotiate at least a little with W&M. Please forgive my ignorance if this is not realistic because of the difference in rank, but I'm hoping its possible.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby thelaststraw05 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:45 pm

Capitol A wrote:So, any insight on negotiation? The reason I'm asking...I am strongly leaning towards attending W&M, but would like it (obviously) to be as affordable as possible. I'm expecting to get decent money from George Mason, and I'm hoping that I can use an offer from another VA state school to negotiate at least a little with W&M. Please forgive my ignorance if this is not realistic because of the difference in rank, but I'm hoping its possible.


Two things:

1) Don't expect much money from Mason, they just don't hand out much money. When I went and talked to them, they pointed out that a very very small portion of the class gets money. According to LSAC, just 15% of full-time students received grants/scholarships and 75% of those grants/scholarships were less that 1/2 tuition.

2) William & Mary is much better ranked and more generous with financial aid. It would likely be much easier to negotiate aid if you have aid from a higher ranked school or peer-ranked school. Washington & Lee would likely be a better school for the purposes of negotiation aid.

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby RPK34 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:49 pm

iwanta170 wrote:Received the admit envelope today and got a pretty significant scholarship. My numbers are 165/3.8x and I'm in-state. I'm surprised I received money because of my LSAT being at their median. If I don't ultimately get into UVa or a T14 I think I may go here


Congrats! I'm dying to get my admittance packet.

edit: Just got it. Got in state tuition plus an extra 7k a year.

bailey1089
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:21 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby bailey1089 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:46 pm

did the packets come regular mail or fedex/ups delivery?

thx!

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:53 pm

My packet came a little while ago, but it was priority mail.

masterthearts
Posts: 396
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby masterthearts » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:55 pm

iwanta170 wrote:Received the admit envelope today and got a pretty significant scholarship. My numbers are 165/3.8x and I'm in-state. I'm surprised I received money because of my LSAT being at their median. If I don't ultimately get into UVa or a T14 I think I may go here


Would you pick Georgetown (ranked 14) over William & Mary?

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby dpk711 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:05 pm

masterthearts wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:Received the admit envelope today and got a pretty significant scholarship. My numbers are 165/3.8x and I'm in-state. I'm surprised I received money because of my LSAT being at their median. If I don't ultimately get into UVa or a T14 I think I may go here


Would you pick Georgetown (ranked 14) over William & Mary?


no

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby justadude55 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:08 pm

why not?

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby dpk711 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:14 pm

justadude55 wrote:why not?


I just love DC...
btw, I'm accepted to both

User avatar
iwanta170
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:27 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby iwanta170 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:19 pm

masterthearts wrote:
iwanta170 wrote:Received the admit envelope today and got a pretty significant scholarship. My numbers are 165/3.8x and I'm in-state. I'm surprised I received money because of my LSAT being at their median. If I don't ultimately get into UVa or a T14 I think I may go here


Would you pick Georgetown (ranked 14) over William & Mary?

I'd probably have to think about that one for a while. Hard decision! Maybe I'd lean Georgetown but I'm not sure

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby justadude55 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:21 pm

dpk711 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:why not?


I just love DC...
btw, I'm accepted to both

your reasoning doesn't make sense.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:22 pm

justadude55 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:why not?


I just love DC...
btw, I'm accepted to both

your reasoning doesn't make sense.


Sarcasm?

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12773
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby LeDique » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:22 pm

Just got my packet out of the mailbox. Fellowship + 6k extra. :D :D

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby dpk711 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:27 pm

justadude55 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
justadude55 wrote:why not?


I just love DC...
btw, I'm accepted to both

your reasoning doesn't make sense.


why not?

User avatar
T6Hopeful
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby T6Hopeful » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:32 pm

Got the snail mail version of my acceptance today, Grad Fellowship + stipend + 10k a year = 23k/year. Not too shabby.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby dpk711 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:17 pm

just received the admit package from W&M with a solid $36,000 scholly...

SortOfObsessed
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby SortOfObsessed » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:25 pm

dpk711 wrote:just received the admit package from W&M with a solid $36,000 scholly...

+1

Question for those who were accepted with fellowships, I didn't pay attention to fellowships as I was applying to schools, is this something you can apply for after you're accepted? Or even in your first year or something?

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby dpk711 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:29 pm

SortOfObsessed wrote:
dpk711 wrote:just received the admit package from W&M with a solid $36,000 scholly...

+1

Question for those who were accepted with fellowships, I didn't pay attention to fellowships as I was applying to schools, is this something you can apply for after you're accepted? Or even in your first year or something?


you should update your profile so that it shows that you got accepted to W&M

:P

SortOfObsessed
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby SortOfObsessed » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:34 pm

dpk711 wrote:
SortOfObsessed wrote:
dpk711 wrote:just received the admit package from W&M with a solid $36,000 scholly...

+1

Question for those who were accepted with fellowships, I didn't pay attention to fellowships as I was applying to schools, is this something you can apply for after you're accepted? Or even in your first year or something?


you should update your profile so that it shows that you got accepted to W&M

:P


I keep forgetting TLS has one. I've been tracking on LSN instead. Maybe I'll just link to LSN, make my life easier...

User avatar
tttlllsss
Posts: 451
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby tttlllsss » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:48 pm

dpk711 wrote:just received the admit package from W&M with a solid $36,000 scholly...


3-yr total?

lawschoolnonsense
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby lawschoolnonsense » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:38 pm

for those who received fellowships, did anyone get the Institute for Bill of Rights Law fellowship?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaron1621, mav1993, playersball, studyingeveryday, tinafeyclone, Tomthecat, ZEROL27 and 20 guests