William & Mary 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
vegenator
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:41 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby vegenator » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:23 pm

Kchuck wrote:In with 12k/ a year.

Those with Fellowships, how did you get those? By writing the Fellowship essays?


I don't think any additional essays were required this year for consideration for the fellowship or any other merit-based scholarships. In any case, I didn't fill anything out that was specifically for those awards. The only "optional essay" I submitted was a variation of my diversity statement.

User avatar
paisaaa
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby paisaaa » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:26 pm

Perch wrote:everyone who is getting accepted- did you write an optional essay?


16 k. No additional essay.

jjlaw
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:43 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby jjlaw » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:34 pm

It's interesting that according to LSN, W&M has already accepted 3 applicants (non-URMs) with 160 LSAT so far. Last year, it seems that most people with below 162 got WL or rejected, even URMs. Any thoughts?

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:40 pm

jjlaw wrote:It's interesting that according to LSN, W&M has already accepted 3 applicants (non-URMs) with 160 LSAT so far. Last year, it seems that most people with below 162 got WL or rejected, even URMs. Any thoughts?


This year is supposed to a bit less competitive.

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby justadude55 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:43 pm

low 170s w 15k. no essay. wouldve done the essay if i knew it could have gotten me more $.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:45 pm

The fact that 160 LSATs are being accepted = good news for me with a 161 LSAT. Hoping that I get W&M since I got WL at UVA (my top choice).

I loved W&M when I visited the campus...

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby brose » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:46 pm

jjlaw wrote:It's interesting that according to LSN, W&M has already accepted 3 applicants (non-URMs) with 160 LSAT so far. Last year, it seems that most people with below 162 got WL or rejected, even URMs. Any thoughts?


I only see 2 (one is me) and 1 URM with a 160.

Maybe we are special snowflakes.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:47 pm

brose wrote:
jjlaw wrote:It's interesting that according to LSN, W&M has already accepted 3 applicants (non-URMs) with 160 LSAT so far. Last year, it seems that most people with below 162 got WL or rejected, even URMs. Any thoughts?


I only see 2 (one is me) and 1 URM with a 160.

Maybe we are special snowflakes.


Out of curiosity, Brose do you have strong softs and LORs?

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby brose » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:47 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
brose wrote:
jjlaw wrote:It's interesting that according to LSN, W&M has already accepted 3 applicants (non-URMs) with 160 LSAT so far. Last year, it seems that most people with below 162 got WL or rejected, even URMs. Any thoughts?


I only see 2 (one is me) and 1 URM with a 160.

Maybe we are special snowflakes.


Out of curiosity, Brose do you have strong softs and LORs?


Yuuuuuup. I also have 5 years WE and 2 in a super unique field.
Last edited by brose on Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
snapdragon
Posts: 766
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby snapdragon » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:51 pm

I haven't been given a decision yet, but just got a third LOR (a professor who I'd given up hope on sent one in!). What do you all think - if I contact admissions to send it in, will it make any difference?

jjlaw
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:43 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby jjlaw » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:54 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
jjlaw wrote:It's interesting that according to LSN, W&M has already accepted 3 applicants (non-URMs) with 160 LSAT so far. Last year, it seems that most people with below 162 got WL or rejected, even URMs. Any thoughts?


This year is supposed to a bit less competitive.


W&M's medians went up last year. Do you think they realize it will be less competitive this year, so they're willing to dip lower and possibly lower their medians?

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:05 pm

brose wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
brose wrote:
jjlaw wrote:It's interesting that according to LSN, W&M has already accepted 3 applicants (non-URMs) with 160 LSAT so far. Last year, it seems that most people with below 162 got WL or rejected, even URMs. Any thoughts?


I only see 2 (one is me) and 1 URM with a 160.

Maybe we are special snowflakes.


Out of curiosity, Brose do you have strong softs and LORs?


Yuuuuuup. I also have 5 years WE and 2 in a super unique field.


Ahh...yeah I only have 1 full year of WE, but I know I have good LORs...
We'll see...

I may be taking the LSAT again, if I don't get in here or W&L.

User avatar
AreJay711
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:08 pm

jjlaw wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
jjlaw wrote:It's interesting that according to LSN, W&M has already accepted 3 applicants (non-URMs) with 160 LSAT so far. Last year, it seems that most people with below 162 got WL or rejected, even URMs. Any thoughts?


This year is supposed to a bit less competitive.


W&M's medians went up last year. Do you think they realize it will be less competitive this year, so they're willing to dip lower and possibly lower their medians?


Idk. Probably not right away but I have to imagine that the situation looks better if your application is held for a later decision or you get put on a waitlist than last year. This is why many schools don't make decisions for the majority of applicants until Jan.

jjlaw
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:43 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby jjlaw » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:17 pm

brose wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
brose wrote:
jjlaw wrote:It's interesting that according to LSN, W&M has already accepted 3 applicants (non-URMs) with 160 LSAT so far. Last year, it seems that most people with below 162 got WL or rejected, even URMs. Any thoughts?


I only see 2 (one is me) and 1 URM with a 160.

Maybe we are special snowflakes.


Out of curiosity, Brose do you have strong softs and LORs?


Yuuuuuup. I also have 5 years WE and 2 in a super unique field.


Brose, your profile says you've been out of college for 1-2 years. Did you work full-time through college? (Just wondering about the 5 years WE)

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby brose » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:28 pm

@jjlaw yes

User avatar
Trip Coker
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby Trip Coker » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:57 pm

Just got the acceptance package. I am in Hawaii fwiw. No scholarship but I am 164/3.7 so I am not shocked. It's just nice to be accepted after getting the WL at W&L. I will have to check the GI Bill again and see how much it covers.

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby Emma1 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:59 pm

Maybe some of the lower numbers are children of of alums?

justadude55
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:23 am

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby justadude55 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:19 am

Trip Coker wrote:Just got the acceptance package. I am in Hawaii fwiw. No scholarship but I am 164/3.7 so I am not shocked. It's just nice to be accepted after getting the WL at W&L. I will have to check the GI Bill again and see how much it covers.

congrats man and thanks for ur service. isn't w&m ranked higher than w&l anyway?

User avatar
Trip Coker
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:11 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby Trip Coker » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:50 am

justadude55 wrote:
Trip Coker wrote:Just got the acceptance package. I am in Hawaii fwiw. No scholarship but I am 164/3.7 so I am not shocked. It's just nice to be accepted after getting the WL at W&L. I will have to check the GI Bill again and see how much it covers.

congrats man and thanks for ur service. isn't w&m ranked higher than w&l anyway?


That is what surprised me the most. Everyone always says that this whole application process is a crapshoot and decisions like this prove it. I figure the small class size of W&L might have something to do with it. Good luck to everyone else.

And @ emma, I don't know if my numbers are part of the "lower ones" but I am not a child of alum. W&M might have a soft spot for vets.

User avatar
brose
Posts: 648
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 am

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby brose » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:02 am

Emma1 wrote:Maybe some of the lower numbers are children of of alums?


Not a veteran or alum kid... there were only two of us non-URM 160s on LSN. It seems like everyone else has been 164+ with the exception of a few 162-163 but they had 3.9+ which I don't think is that uncharacteristic of W & M admissions.

Emma1
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby Emma1 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:48 pm

Congrats!

User avatar
eliekedourie
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby eliekedourie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:37 pm

So my admit package has been received by my parents. I had everything sent to them since my apt. building's mailboxes are kinda crappy. Between fellowships, OOS waiver, and scholarship, it seems I'm being offered roughly 1900 per year off the OOS tuition. I didn't write any fellowship essay but may have checked a box asking to be considered. I have to look back at the application to be sure. I'm going home tomorrow and I'll have a chance to check out the info in greater detail.

Crazycall2
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:15 am

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby Crazycall2 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:45 pm

so it seems like the scholarship+fellowship for oos people=

OOS Tuition ~34k
-Difference for IS Tuition (9k)
-Fellowship stipend (4k)
-Scholarship amt (~10k)

Total tuition comes to ~11k/yr?

Pretty damn good for one of the best law schools outside the T14 :D congrats all!

User avatar
Snoring Meatball
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby Snoring Meatball » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:19 pm

So are any of you other admits planning to attend? I will be there unless I get a 180 on the December LSAT and UVA happens to come up short on blonde, female Virginians with terrible GPAs.

User avatar
eliekedourie
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby eliekedourie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:39 pm

No. I Ed'd to NU and am also particularly interested in GULC where I'm interviewing shortly. W&M isn't all that high on my list. But it is on the list...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”