William & Mary 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tttlllsss

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby tttlllsss » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:33 pm

2011Cycle wrote:
msch0i wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=99379

This seems to mean that a decision has been reached. Look under the "mailings" section, as people who were admitted saw the same "review complete" status but had a "admit packet in mail" message under the mailing section.

If the information in the link cited above is true in that review complete admit decisions also have notations of packet sent in mailings, does review complete without mailing indication signify denial/waitlist?

W&M doesn't really deny applicants. Rather, it seems like they put the middling/undesirable students on a WL where their fate is in limbo for months and months...

Last cycle, the applicants who were WLed were updated to "Decision Pending" status. Also, I believe they didn't start moving applicants to "Decision Pending" until Dec/Jan.

2011Cycle

Postby 2011Cycle » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:15 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:

This seems to mean that a decision has been reached. Look under the "mailings" section, as people who were admitted saw the same "review complete" status but had a "admit packet in mail" message under the mailing section.

If the information in the link cited above is true in that review complete admit decisions also have notations of packet sent in mailings, does review complete without mailing indication signify denial/waitlist?

W&M doesn't really deny applicants. Rather, it seems like they put the middling/undesirable students on a WL where their fate is in limbo for months and months...

Last cycle, the applicants who were WLed were updated to "Decision Pending" status. Also, I believe they didn't start moving applicants to "Decision Pending" until Dec/Jan.

Is 'decision pending' an option after one receives the 'review complete' status message? Thanks

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:53 pm

2011Cycle wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:

Is 'decision pending' an option after one receives the 'review complete' status message? Thanks

Last cycle, I don't think that happened. I.e., applicants moved from an empty status to either "Decision Pending" or "Review Complete". Judging by last cycle, "Decision Pending" necessarily means that the applicant will be WLed, whereas "Review Complete" necessarily means that the applicant will be accepted. If the adcomm hasn't made a decision yet, the applicant's status will remain empty.

Of course, this is all based on last cycle. Things could be totally different now - maybe "Review Complete" is just a bug, or maybe it doesn't necessarily mean that a decision has been made...

edubs003

Postby edubs003 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:59 pm

My friend just applied there and said they don't do rolling admissions? Is that true?

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:20 pm

Officially, they have at times said they have a modified rolling admission, while at other times they have said they simply don't have rolling admission.

In practice, they have rolling admission. Last cycle, W&M began admitting applicants around late Oct/early Nov, and they intermittently admitted students throughout the rest of the winter.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:01 am

According to the admissions office, 'review complete' does not indicate that a decision has been made. It only means that the app has gone through initial review. Anyone's status checker say anything different yet?

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:02 am

AHH! I just checked for fun since I only went complete yesterday or so....but I'm now at review complete :shock:

edit: [re above post] darn, I was hoping it meant something good :(

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:17 am

Wow, okay sounds like I should go ahead and get this one in.

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:48 pm

edubs003 wrote:My friend just applied there and said they don't do rolling admissions? Is that true?

I don't think they have it, technically, in the sense that you might submit an app in October and not get a decision until April (which usually is a WL) but someone else could submit and get accepted in Dec. The way they did it last year was to accept the auto's very quickly and usually offered in-state tuition as well. If you didn't get a decision within a few weeks and it just said "decision pending" (at least i think that's what it said) then it didn't bode well for you.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:22 pm

I know I'm the one who said the admit office told me that this 'review complete' doesn't necessarily mean anything (and that's true), but does everyone seem to think that getting this status at this stage points toward an admit? If a decision had already been made, doesn't seem like they would notify us of the decision fairly quickly? I don't see why there would be a delay between a decision being made, and their notifying us of the decision.
I wish there was a key of some sort that would let us all know what exactly these messages are supposed to mean.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:29 pm

Hi guys, I'm applying W&M in the next few weeks. It's one of my targets.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:20 pm

Just called W&M about "Review Complete" and the person who answered the phone told me basically the same thing - it means that the app has gone through an 'initial review', but a decision may or may not have been made. Also, she said that they might start finalizing decisions next week (but she wasn't sure).

W&MKid

Postby W&MKid » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:02 pm

Since I've gone through the process already, I thought I'd shed a little light on the admission process at W&M. Basically they said last year that you shouldn't expect an answer from them until the end of March (I believe). HOWEVER, if your numbers are good they will admit you before then on a "modified rolling" basis. This means that some ppl will hear relatively soon after applying (I applied around Jan 1 and heard back by the end of January). If you are in the middle of the pack, you will most likely be placed on the waitlist around April 1 (Hence you will hear a response around the end of March). Last year LSN had sporadic green dots on William and Mary's page until April 1 and then all of the yellow (waitlist) entries were made. You can see on there too that not too many people were flat out rejected. For those of you with above average numbers or diverse backgrounds (I know African Americans with low 150s to be accepted), look for responses to roll in around November 1. I remember reading a lot of profiles last year on LSN that said W&M was their first acceptance. Good luck during this long drawn out process, but 1L year is definitely not something to be looking forward to.

FYI: Most schools (with the exception of many T14s) post "applicant profiles" on LSAC. Basically its a grid of LSAT scores and GPAs of previous applicants. This is very helpful in determining what your chances of admission to a particular school might be compared to those who were rejected or accepted last year with similar stats. I've included the links for the W&M LSN page and the applicant profile for W&M as well. Hope this helps.

http://wm.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/
http://officialguide.lsac.org/Release/S ... AC5115.pdf

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:08 pm

W&MKid wrote:FYI: Most schools (with the exception of many T14s) post "applicant profiles" on LSAC. Basically its a grid of LSAT scores and GPAs of previous applicants. This is very helpful in determining what your chances of admission to a particular school might be compared to those who were rejected or accepted last year with similar stats. I've included the links for the W&M LSN page and the applicant profile for W&M as well. Hope this helps.

Yikes, my spot on that grid has zero applicants in it. I'm a special snowflake?

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:23 pm

Since I've gone through the process already, I thought I'd shed a little light on the admission process at W&M

Do you remember what your online status checker said at different times during the process?
I think that's what a lot of us are confused about right now. What it means for "review complete." That makes it sound like they are done looking at our applications, but it's pretty early, and we don't have a decision from them yet.
Thanks.

W&MKid

Postby W&MKid » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Yeah, "review complete" basically means they've seen your application and reviewed all your shit. They have probably made up a decision in their mind but won't let you know until they receive a certain amount of applications or a specific time period goes by. Basically if your review is complete they will place you in a pile. That pile can be accept, waitlist or deny. They won't tell you about what pile you get put in immediately. My guess is that there is a chance you can move piles. For instance if you have a 165 and a 3.5 they may put you in the accept pile but won't tell you quite yet. If they receive an overload of applications with better stats they may bump you to the waitlist pile. I think this is part of their modified rolling process or whatever.

Basically it will say something like "decision rendered and sent" once they have officially made a decision and are willing to tell you about it one way or another.

W&MKid

Postby W&MKid » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:51 pm

Bumi wrote:
W&MKid wrote:FYI: Most schools (with the exception of many T14s) post "applicant profiles" on LSAC. Basically its a grid of LSAT scores and GPAs of previous applicants. This is very helpful in determining what your chances of admission to a particular school might be compared to those who were rejected or accepted last year with similar stats. I've included the links for the W&M LSN page and the applicant profile for W&M as well. Hope this helps.

Yikes, my spot on that grid has zero applicants in it. I'm a special snowflake?

What are your stats? I'm not sure if it's a good thing that there was no one with similar stats that applied last year, but it doesn't have to be a bad thing. I think it just means your stats are not typical for W&M (good or bad)

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:51 pm

W&MKid wrote:
Bumi wrote:Yikes, my spot on that grid has zero applicants in it. I'm a special snowflake?

What are your stats? I'm not sure if it's a good thing that there was no one with similar stats that applied last year, but it doesn't have to be a bad thing. I think it just means your stats are not typical for W&M (good or bad)
I'm in the 2.5-2.74 and 175-180 box.

cigrainger

Postby cigrainger » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:12 am

My status checker no longer has a status, and its been that way since I got my complete email. Confusing.

ETA: Submitted 9/30, complete by email 10/4. Now my status box has my info but no status.

agoldst426

Postby agoldst426 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:16 am

cigrainger wrote:My status checker no longer has a status, and its been that way since I got my complete email. Confusing.

ETA: Submitted 9/30, complete by email 10/4. Now my status box has my info but no status.

+1

vegenator

Postby vegenator » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:05 am

cigrainger wrote:My status checker no longer has a status, and its been that way since I got my complete email. Confusing.

Mine was like that too. I submitted on 8/30 and once I got my completion email on 9/1 it didn't show any status. It went from no status shown to "Review complete" on 10/7 .... so I don't think it matters if it doesn't show any status.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:41 am

+1

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:49 pm

anyone's status change?

MillerTime

Postby MillerTime » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:02 pm

Capitol A wrote:anyone's status change?

No changes here. Still says "review complete" and no new mailings.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:13 pm

Same here. I already knew I was the least patient person on earth, but this "review complete" is killing me. I wish they had something like Illinois does, where it tells you what the different steps are, and a little description of what each status indicates. That would help my anxiety a little.
Oh well. I guess I'll just continue refreshing my status checker every 10 minutes for the next month.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”