William & Mary 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
jcdc
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby jcdc » Tue May 03, 2011 10:31 am

Capitol A wrote:
jcdc wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
meepmeep123 wrote:has anyone had any luck negotiating a merit scholarship??

They matched my Vandy offer


They wouldn't match my WUSTL offer. Very frustrating... said that while I was very interested in W&M, the availability of merit aid would play a large part in my decision and sent the text of the WUSTL offer. For those of you that negotiated successfully, did you do it differently?

I attempted unsuccessfully to negotiate with W&M, but I may still have a little insight for you....
I actually spoke in person to 2 different deans of admissions and they both said basically the same thing...Your approach when bringing up the negotiation means everything. If you send them a letter or email or say in person: "School X gave me this much, if you match that I will go to your school." or anything to that effect, they are much less likely to respond favorably. This approach makes them feel like you are threatening them or something. They do not want students who are coming to their school because they are paying them. They want a class full of the brightest people possible, but they want those to be people who are truly excited about their institution. The more effective approach is the one someone mentioned a second ago..."I would LOVE to attend W&M, but unfortunately money has to be a big part of my decision. school X is more affordable because they offered my 'y' scholarship. Is there any way that W&M would be able to adjust my scholarship in order to make this decision a clearer for me?"


I can understand that argument, but it sounds like flips did the first approach and mine was closer to the second, yet he was successful and I wasn't. I'm guessing it's bc Vandy's offer would have made Vandy cheaper, whereas while my WUSTL offer is larger, their tuition is higher so it would still be more expensive than W&M, even with W&M's smaller offer.

Hate that this threw a wrench in my plans... I thought W&M would match, making it significantly cheaper and the decision would be easy. Think it'd be an awful idea to retry with the exact words you used in a couple months?

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13624
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby Flips88 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:37 am

jcdc wrote:I can understand that argument, but it sounds like flips did the first approach and mine was closer to the second, yet he was successful and I wasn't. I'm guessing it's bc Vandy's offer would have made Vandy cheaper, whereas while my WUSTL offer is larger, their tuition is higher so it would still be more expensive than W&M, even with W&M's smaller offer.

Hate that this threw a wrench in my plans... I thought W&M would match, making it significantly cheaper and the decision would be easy. Think it'd be an awful idea to retry with the exact words you used in a couple months?

Since my cycle is done, here is my email verbatim:
I am writing today to request an additional increase in scholarship one final time or I will regrettably choose to withdraw my application from William & Mary. While I appreciate the initial offer of $12,000 per year, I have received an offer of $15,000 per year at Vanderbilt, which is roughly the same percentage of tuition as your offer. If forced to choose between the two, I would choose Vanderbilt unless given an increase in scholarship from William & Mary. I remain highly interested in attending William & Mary law in the fall, however, I must consider the level of opportunities available along with the financial costs of each of my options.At the moment, I believe that without additional scholarship, I cannot choose William & Mary Law. I look forward to the scholarship committees decision about my request.

User avatar
jcdc
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby jcdc » Tue May 03, 2011 10:42 am

Flips88 wrote:
jcdc wrote:I can understand that argument, but it sounds like flips did the first approach and mine was closer to the second, yet he was successful and I wasn't. I'm guessing it's bc Vandy's offer would have made Vandy cheaper, whereas while my WUSTL offer is larger, their tuition is higher so it would still be more expensive than W&M, even with W&M's smaller offer.

Hate that this threw a wrench in my plans... I thought W&M would match, making it significantly cheaper and the decision would be easy. Think it'd be an awful idea to retry with the exact words you used in a couple months?

Since my cycle is done, here is my email verbatim:
I am writing today to request an additional increase in scholarship one final time or I will regrettably choose to withdraw my application from William & Mary. While I appreciate the initial offer of $12,000 per year, I have received an offer of $15,000 per year at Vanderbilt, which is roughly the same percentage of tuition as your offer. If forced to choose between the two, I would choose Vanderbilt unless given an increase in scholarship from William & Mary. I remain highly interested in attending William & Mary law in the fall, however, I must consider the level of opportunities available along with the financial costs of each of my options.At the moment, I believe that without additional scholarship, I cannot choose William & Mary Law. I look forward to the scholarship committees decision about my request.



Thanks flips! Sounds like you requested an increase before that?

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13624
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby Flips88 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:50 am

jcdc wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
jcdc wrote:I can understand that argument, but it sounds like flips did the first approach and mine was closer to the second, yet he was successful and I wasn't. I'm guessing it's bc Vandy's offer would have made Vandy cheaper, whereas while my WUSTL offer is larger, their tuition is higher so it would still be more expensive than W&M, even with W&M's smaller offer.

Hate that this threw a wrench in my plans... I thought W&M would match, making it significantly cheaper and the decision would be easy. Think it'd be an awful idea to retry with the exact words you used in a couple months?

Since my cycle is done, here is my email verbatim:
I am writing today to request an additional increase in scholarship one final time or I will regrettably choose to withdraw my application from William & Mary. While I appreciate the initial offer of $12,000 per year, I have received an offer of $15,000 per year at Vanderbilt, which is roughly the same percentage of tuition as your offer. If forced to choose between the two, I would choose Vanderbilt unless given an increase in scholarship from William & Mary. I remain highly interested in attending William & Mary law in the fall, however, I must consider the level of opportunities available along with the financial costs of each of my options.At the moment, I believe that without additional scholarship, I cannot choose William & Mary Law. I look forward to the scholarship committees decision about my request.



Thanks flips! Sounds like you requested an increase before that?

Yeah I wrote before when I had no competing offers and was turned down.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby Capitol A » Tue May 03, 2011 11:13 am

I can understand that argument, but it sounds like flips did the first approach and mine was closer to the second, yet he was successful and I wasn't. I'm guessing it's bc Vandy's offer would have made Vandy cheaper, whereas while my WUSTL offer is larger, their tuition is higher so it would still be more expensive than W&M, even with W&M's smaller offer.

Hate that this threw a wrench in my plans... I thought W&M would match, making it significantly cheaper and the decision would be easy. Think it'd be an awful idea to retry with the exact words you used in a couple months?


If you are polite and respectful in your approach, I don't think it would ever hurt anything to ask again. I do think that having a less expensive, higher ranked option is a big factor as well. Perhaps this is a large part of the reason my request was denied. I tried to use 2 much larger offers. The problems with my offers was that even though they were triple what WM was offering, one was from SMU, so it was still more expensive, and the other was from ASU. While my COA at ASU is basically nothing, it's my in-state school and (at the time) 8 spots worse in the rankings; so those were likely factors as well.

bluecanary622
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby bluecanary622 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:09 pm

Hey!

I see a bunch of ppl on here are trying to negotiate for scholarships, and i wanted to weigh in with what worked for me at W&M. When they at first offered me nothing, I was really surprised. I'm in state and have high numbers for w&m, so I e-mailed a really polite e-mail to the head of financial aid and outlined why what achievements I have had (I specifically focused on graduating summa cum laude from undergrad and with a 3.95 from grad school) and used it to say how I was confident that my performance in law school would continue to be excellent. I expressed also how I wanted to go to w&m, but that to make that possible I really needed a merit scholarship of some sort. Within 48 hours they responded and offered me a scholarship and just put a GPA stipulation on it. It worked for me, so I wanted to suggest it to anyone still trying!

I ended up deciding to go somewhere else, so my scholarship $$ is still out there for somebody else. :)

Good luck!!

AP-375
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby AP-375 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:59 pm

I thought I'd chime in for group benefit as well.
I received a decent scholarship offer, but received several scholarship offers at lower-ranked schools. I emailed once and mentioned them, and was told "No, we don't match."
However, I was successful on a second try, which I'm really grateful for. PM me for details.

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby SrLaw » Tue May 03, 2011 4:11 pm

.
Last edited by SrLaw on Fri May 13, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jcdc
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby jcdc » Tue May 03, 2011 4:27 pm

SrLaw wrote:I wonder if I have a shot off the WL, 167/3.4.

Anyone get accepted off the WL yet?


I would think you'd have an good shot with those #s. Did you express strong interest? They seem to reward genuine interest more than most schools.

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby SrLaw » Tue May 03, 2011 5:06 pm

o
Last edited by SrLaw on Fri May 13, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jcdc
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby jcdc » Tue May 03, 2011 5:16 pm

I didn't apply for a fellowship either, I'm not sure if it makes a difference in admissions. If you're genuinely interested in W&M and would strongly consider going, you should definitely send a LOCI. If they're your #1, let them know. Ken with TLS has posted some good model LOCIs

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby zonto » Tue May 03, 2011 6:47 pm

And everyone uses the models by copying and pasting their name and the school's name so it's really not effective. Write from your heart, be polite and genuine, and they'll respond to it if they want you there.

User avatar
j12
Posts: 169
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:41 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby j12 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:14 am

As far as scholarship negotiations go, I was successful at W&M. I had just visited for admitted students weekend, mentioned that I loved it, but that WUSTL offered me significantly more. W&M increased their offer so COA was roughly the same. I withdrew, but it's a great school, so good luck to all of you.

dutchwomen9
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 7:29 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby dutchwomen9 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:07 pm

accepted of the wait list today!

AP-375
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby AP-375 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:12 pm

dutchwomen9 wrote:accepted of the wait list today!

Congratulations! I'm sure others are wondering what you did to get off of that giant list...

legallyb
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 am

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby legallyb » Wed May 04, 2011 9:36 pm

We're also wondering how they notified you!

AP-375 wrote:
dutchwomen9 wrote:accepted of the wait list today!

Congratulations! I'm sure others are wondering what you did to get off of that giant list...

dutchwomen9
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 7:29 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby dutchwomen9 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:22 pm

Thanks! I went to visit over my spring break, and then had sent 2 LOCI and was recently elected to Phi Beta Kappa. I was really genuine about w&m being my first choice, which is something that I think they take seriously.

Dean Shealy sent me an e-mail last night asking if I was committed to another law school and that they were going to look at my application further. Then today I received a phone call offering me admission from another Dean. I have until May 13th to send in a $500 deposit.

Hope this helps and good luck to everyone else riding out the WL!

legallyb
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 am

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby legallyb » Wed May 04, 2011 11:53 pm

Thanks! Congratulations! I want in so badly! I hope I get that opportunity!

dutchwomen9 wrote:Thanks! I went to visit over my spring break, and then had sent 2 LOCI and was recently elected to Phi Beta Kappa. I was really genuine about w&m being my first choice, which is something that I think they take seriously.

Dean Shealy sent me an e-mail last night asking if I was committed to another law school and that they were going to look at my application further. Then today I received a phone call offering me admission from another Dean. I have until May 13th to send in a $500 deposit.

Hope this helps and good luck to everyone else riding out the WL!

User avatar
philswfc2008
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby philswfc2008 » Tue May 10, 2011 1:31 pm

I really enjoyed William and Mary when I visited, and I'm sure I would have enjoyed it there. However, I have been presented with another opportonity that I can't pass up, so I am going to withdraw from the WL. Best of luck to all of the future W&M students out there, especially those currently on the WL!

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby SrLaw » Tue May 10, 2011 6:44 pm

.ent?
Last edited by SrLaw on Fri May 13, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby mettasutta » Tue May 10, 2011 6:55 pm

SrLaw wrote:I just sent in a LOCI.

#'s are a 167/3.4

Anyone know if we can expect any more WL movement?


I thought you were set on ND?

But anyway, the W&M WL is pretty rough ("soft reject"), so I wouldn't feel too optimistic. Although LSN is a limited sample, there was no WL-Accept from last year, 1 from the year before that, and 8 from 07-08. From last year's thread:

How am I kept informed as to my status on the wait list?

Applicants who elect to remain on the wait list will receive via email a status report in early June. This allows us time to determine the number of admitted students who have paid a seat deposit. We will also send a final status report before enrollment is finalized and classes begin.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=92657&hilit=william+mary&start=2275

I hope this helps!

SrLaw
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby SrLaw » Tue May 10, 2011 7:18 pm

n
Last edited by SrLaw on Fri May 13, 2011 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AP-375
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby AP-375 » Wed May 11, 2011 10:02 am

SrLaw wrote:I would much prefer to stay on the East Coast. I could kick my own ass for not sending in a LOCI earlier but I am freaking out at this point. Should I give the admissions office a call tomorrow?


Yeah, I'd give them a call and a lot more. It's a small admissions office, and you're dealing with real people, not some mystical "admissions committee." So that means that you have fewer people to convince, and if you can convince those few, you're in. If you're dying to get in, I'd call, visit, write letters, get more LORs, and do everything in my power to show them that they should let you in.

User avatar
bigjinjapan
Posts: 247
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:02 am

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby bigjinjapan » Thu May 12, 2011 9:04 am

Just withdrew from the WL. Best of luck to everyone who's riding it out.

wm2014
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 10:33 pm

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby wm2014 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Got in off the waitlist late last week and negotiated for an out of state scholarship :D

I couldn't be happier and I am looking forward to W&M and the class of 2014. For everyone currently on the waitlist, take initiative and work hard to get a spot! Let me know if you have any questions.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, Bob loblaw law blog, cyclawps, genjustice, joezze, Mlk&Ckies, mm2368, MSNbot Media, OptimusPrime, patrickkpaul, Pomegranate27 and 37 guests