William & Mary 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DMBFan

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby DMBFan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:04 pm

zonto wrote:
DMBFan wrote:Just mailed my deposit today! Very excited!

Why send it two weeks early and lose out on all the interest that you would have earned on that $500? :wink:

Lol, the same reason I'm going to law school not business school.

zonto

Postby zonto » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:18 pm

Email today if anyone's curious:

It has been an extraordinarily successful year for both the William & Mary Law School National Trial Team and Moot Court Team. This year, the Trial Team secured first-place finishes at the Phi Alpha Delta Trial Competition and Stetson Pre-Trial Competition and second-place finishes at the American Association of Justice and American Bar Association regional trial competitions. Team members were recognized as “best attorney” at four other competitions. The Moot Court Team won six first-place finishes at the Vanderbilt First Amendment Competition, the American Bar Association Regional Tournament, the Regent University Moot Court Competition, the Charleston National Moot Court Competition, the John J. Gibbons National Criminal Procedure Moot Court Competition, and the International Criminal Moot Court Competition. Our winners from the International Criminal Moot Court Competition also traveled to The Hague to take part in a subsequent worldwide moot court tournament. Six team members took home “Best Oralist” awards from competition this year. Congratulations to our excellent competition teams!

In this challenging job market, William & Mary is proud that its graduates are still securing employment. Career Services is particularly proud of our graduates’ record in securing judicial clerkship. Twenty-nine members of the Class of 2011 have secured these coveted positions, while forty-two members of the Class of 2010 clerked last year or will be clerking this year. Our Career Services Office continues to implement specific strategic initiatives to assist our students in individualized job searches to secure employment.

United States Senator Mark Warner (D-VA) will give the commencement address at William & Mary Law School’s graduation in May. Last year’s commencement speaker was William & Mary Chancellor and retired U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor.

U.S. News & World Report announced that our Law School rose from 28 to 27 in their rankings. “William & Mary Law School continues to be one of the nation’s great law schools, home to a nationally regarded faculty, an astonishingly talented and energetic group of students, and an exceptionally accomplished group of alumni scattered across the nation and the world”, said Davison M. Douglas, Dean of the William & Mary Law School. “Our best days lie ahead of us.”

As per the William & Mary Board of Visitors, William & Mary Law School tuition and fees for the 2011-12 academic year will be $26,200 for Virginia residents and $36,200 for out-of-state students. If you seek Virginia domicile status, the required form – Application for Virginia Domicile Status – in on the university website and must be completed and filed with the University Domicile Officer. The $500 tuition deposit will be a credit on fall semester tuition bills.

Graduate Fellowships - previously awarded - will have a total value of $14,000. The $10,000 out-of-state tuition supplement will be waived on tuition statements for Graduate Fellowships awarded by the Law School. The $4,000 stipend will be allocated over the academic year in payments from the payroll office on the first and sixteenth of each month from September 1, 2011 to May 16, 2012.

We eagerly look forward to you joining the community at William & Mary Law School. Your Class of 2014 will be an outstanding group of aspiring citizen lawyers, and we are excited to see the impact you make over the next three years and beyond.

My emphasis added of course. Tuition last year for OOS was $33,800, making the increase in tuition this year 7.1%.

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Withdrew a few days ago. An acceptance and 36k back in the pot for you all. :D

lulumore

Postby lulumore » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:57 am

Does anyone know if there is a way to know if I am a strong candidate? I am now on the wait list.

I am an international candidate and I have to start my visa application now before it is too late. It would be too much trouble (and time-sensitive) if I change my visa applied with offer from university A to visa with university B, so I would wait for a big longer if I know I am a strong candidate here.

Also, would you think if I write an email to school with the above reasons and my offer&scholarship from another university, it would be helpful for me to get an answer?

Thanks.

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:47 am

lulumore wrote:Does anyone know if there is a way to know if I am a strong candidate? I am now on the wait list.

I am an international candidate and I have to start my visa application now before it is too late. It would be too much trouble (and time-sensitive) if I change my visa applied with offer from university A to visa with university B, so I would wait for a big longer if I know I am a strong candidate here.

Also, would you think if I write an email to school with the above reasons and my offer&scholarship from another university, it would be helpful for me to get an answer?

Thanks.

Can't hurt. You may want to call and talk to someone in admissions, so that you can get an idea about where you stand and make decisions about your visa application. They are quite helpful.
Also, I think the W&M waitlist is very full, not to discourage you, just to give you an idea of the odds you may be facing. Good luck.

lulumore

Postby lulumore » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Can't hurt. You may want to call and talk to someone in admissions, so that you can get an idea about where you stand and make decisions about your visa application. They are quite helpful.
Also, I think the W&M waitlist is very full, not to discourage you, just to give you an idea of the odds you may be facing. Good luck.[/quote]

Thank you!

icytop89

Postby icytop89 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:56 am

Are there any other waitlisted kids around or am i alone on this journey?

TurkeyDay

Postby TurkeyDay » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:09 am

icytop89 wrote:Are there any other waitlisted kids around or am i alone on this journey?

Right there with you!

Bobo355

Postby Bobo355 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:27 am

TurkeyDay wrote:
icytop89 wrote:Are there any other waitlisted kids around or am i alone on this journey?

Right there with you!

Me too...

TNFSkier16

Postby TNFSkier16 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:29 am

Bobo355 wrote:
TurkeyDay wrote:

Right there with you!

Me too...

+1. Wore my W&M tie to work today for luck...

Intraining

Postby Intraining » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:34 pm

TNFSkier16 wrote:
Bobo355 wrote:
TurkeyDay wrote:

Right there with you!

Me too...

+1. Wore my W&M tie to work today for luck...

+1

Paralegalonthemove

Postby Paralegalonthemove » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:36 pm

I'm still here as well.

legallyb

Postby legallyb » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:44 pm

There are several of us hopefuls still here.

Paralegalonthemove wrote:

I'm still here as well.

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:09 pm

Will withdraw. Best of luck to the WL'ers...$30K back in the pot for you!

cmu2011

Postby cmu2011 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:46 am

on WL also.

coreno16

Postby coreno16 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:38 pm

Withdrew from the wait list yesterday. gl to those still waiting.

legallyb

Postby legallyb » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:02 am

Has anyone heard of any wait list movement at W & M? I'm anxiously waiting!

ps1187

Postby ps1187 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:00 pm

legallyb wrote:Has anyone heard of any wait list movement at W & M? I'm anxiously waiting!

Nothing yet as far as I can tell.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:05 pm

Just withdrew. Hope someone gets my spot and $45k

zonto

Postby zonto » Mon May 02, 2011 5:45 pm

Just withdrew as well... Definitely the hardest decision of the cycle for me.

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Mon May 02, 2011 8:23 pm

zonto wrote:Just withdrew as well... Definitely the hardest decision of the cycle for me.

+1, I would have been very happy at W&M, too.

jcdc

Postby jcdc » Tue May 03, 2011 10:16 am

Flips88 wrote:
meepmeep123 wrote:has anyone had any luck negotiating a merit scholarship??

They matched my Vandy offer

They wouldn't match my WUSTL offer. Very frustrating... said that while I was very interested in W&M, the availability of merit aid would play a large part in my decision and sent the text of the WUSTL offer. For those of you that negotiated successfully, did you do it differently?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:22 am

jcdc wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

They wouldn't match my WUSTL offer. Very frustrating... said that while I was very interested in W&M, the availability of merit aid would play a large part in my decision and sent the text of the WUSTL offer. For those of you that negotiated successfully, did you do it differently?

That's weird. Yeah I said something to the extent of "I have a scholarship at Vandy worth x percentage of tuition and your offer is lower than that. I don't think I can consider attending unless my scholarship offer in increased."

brose

Postby brose » Tue May 03, 2011 10:23 am

Withdrew - 15K back in the pot!

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Tue May 03, 2011 10:23 am

jcdc wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

I attempted unsuccessfully to negotiate with W&M, but I may still have a little insight for you....
I actually spoke in person to 2 different deans of admissions and they both said basically the same thing...Your approach when bringing up the negotiation means everything. If you send them a letter or email or say in person: "School X gave me this much, if you match that I will go to your school." or anything to that effect, they are much less likely to respond favorably. This approach makes them feel like you are threatening them or something. They do not want students who are coming to their school because they are paying them. They want a class full of the brightest people possible, but they want those to be people who are truly excited about their institution. The more effective approach is the one someone mentioned a second ago..."I would LOVE to attend W&M, but unfortunately money has to be a big part of my decision. school X is more affordable because they offered my 'y' scholarship. Is there any way that W&M would be able to adjust my scholarship in order to make this decision a clearer for me?"

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”