William & Mary 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kinderby

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby Kinderby » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:46 pm

MattThiessen wrote:
yepyep wrote:Never know who is spying...

The most interesting man in the world, apparently.

Lol.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:32 pm

snapdragon wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
snapdragon wrote:Eh, I'm sort of giving up. Honestly, especially for those of us that have been hanging since Oct-Nov, we're probably WLs at best. I'm trying to do everything I can to tip the scales in my favor, because W&M is the only school that would almost an instant "cycle over" decision for me, but at the end of the day, I think we all have a pretty good idea of where we stand.

+1. I am starting to give up as well. I am probably on WL/ding.

Are you still thinking W&L, queenlizzie? They were close to my number 2, but after Wake gave me a much better scholarship, I'm re-thinking.

I am now pretty set on CU (unless USC or Boalt let me in. I'd probably give Davis/Hastings a fair amount of consideration as well). At any rate, CU is attractive, because tuition is cheaper than what I would be paying for at W&L (if I establish residency after one year) and it is closer to my home. 2 hour flight versus like 5-6 hour flight. And W&L is not exactly easy to get to.

Did you apply to Wake and UNC?

beidoun

Postby beidoun » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:05 pm

2.96 and 166 went complete on the 21st.

Would love to go to william and mary, not sure what my chances are.

efeenstra

Postby efeenstra » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:29 pm

I got an email from the assistant dean of admission yesterday titled "Social Media at William and Mary Law School." It's full of links to check out with info about living in Williamsburg and going to W&M. It seems like something they would send to an admitted student, but I'm still in decisionless purgatory. Did this confuse any other not-yet-accepted students? I'm guessing it's really just to to keep us longing. How cruel.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:45 pm

efeenstra wrote:I got an email from the assistant dean of admission yesterday titled "Social Media at William and Mary Law School." It's full of links to check out with info about living in Williamsburg and going to W&M. It seems like something they would send to an admitted student, but I'm still in decisionless purgatory. Did this confuse any other not-yet-accepted students? I'm guessing it's really just to to keep us longing. How cruel.

I got it after being admitted and thought it was a weird thing to send to an admitted student. It started with "Thank you again for your interest in William & Mary." or something like that.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:51 pm

efeenstra wrote:I got an email from the assistant dean of admission yesterday titled "Social Media at William and Mary Law School." It's full of links to check out with info about living in Williamsburg and going to W&M. It seems like something they would send to an admitted student, but I'm still in decisionless purgatory. Did this confuse any other not-yet-accepted students? I'm guessing it's really just to to keep us longing. How cruel.

Yeah, I got it too, and I know a lot of other applicants have received it as well. I feel safe in saying that it is just promotional material which has no correlation to admission status. Nice information though, and it certainly keeps my attention squarely focused on W&M.

Kinderby

Postby Kinderby » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:48 pm

Justathought wrote:

Yeah, I got it too, and I know a lot of other applicants have received it as well. I feel safe in saying that it is just promotional material which has no correlation to admission status.

+1 Although I am, of course, overthinking it because the person who was admitted didn't receive it, so I think, omg does that mean people who got the email are not admitted?! But such is the thought process of any applicant. I don't REALLY think it means anything. Except when I do.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:06 pm

Kinderby wrote:
Justathought wrote:

Yeah, I got it too, and I know a lot of other applicants have received it as well. I feel safe in saying that it is just promotional material which has no correlation to admission status.

+1 Although I am, of course, overthinking it because the person who was admitted didn't receive it, so I think, omg does that mean people who got the email are not admitted?! But such is the thought process of any applicant. I don't REALLY think it means anything. Except when I do.

I'm admitted and I got the email.

cerulean87

Postby cerulean87 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:26 pm

Has anyone else been accepted in on a fellowship? I'm not committed yet but just wondering who else is out there I may be working with.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:34 pm

cerulean87 wrote:Has anyone else been accepted in on a fellowship? I'm not committed yet but just wondering who else is out there I may be working with.

Yeah, I got the fellowship. I know there are several others here who received it also.

If I don't get $$ from BC, I'll probably end up taking the deal from W&M.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:41 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
cerulean87 wrote:Has anyone else been accepted in on a fellowship? I'm not committed yet but just wondering who else is out there I may be working with.

Yeah, I got the fellowship. I know there are several others here who received it also.

I'm in with the fellowship. After visiting last week, I am pretty certain I will be attending. It would be a much easier decision if they could just give me an additional $5k/yr, but the fellowship sounds like a great opportunity, and the town/campus are gorgeous. Everyone was super nice, the facilities are very nice. The cost of living is low and quality of life is high. After seeing the place in person, there is no question that I want to attend and participate in the fellowship. My only hang up is the fact that I am married and we own a home in Phoenix that we will not be able to sell. I need to extra scholarship to cover the difference between my mortgage payment and the amount my house will rent for, so I am going to keep holding out and trying to sort out my finances for the time being.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:46 pm

Capitol A wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:

I'm in with the fellowship. After visiting last week, I am pretty certain I will be attending. It would be a much easier decision if they could just give me an additional $5k/yr, but the fellowship sounds like a great opportunity, and the town/campus are gorgeous. Everyone was super nice, the facilities are very nice. The cost of living is low and quality of life is high. After seeing the place in person, there is no question that I want to attend and participate in the fellowship. My only hang up is the fact that I am married and we own a home in Phoenix that we will not be able to sell. I need to extra scholarship to cover the difference between my mortgage payment and the amount my house will rent for, so I am going to keep holding out and trying to sort out my finances for the time being.

Have you tried emailing/calling them? I negotiated a better scholarship from them, and it sounds like you have a pretty compelling reason for needing more money.

Either way, I'm in the same position as tttlllsss. William and Mary was one of my top choices, and the money makes it an easy choice, unless BC or BU (if I even get accepted) make a real compelling offer.

cerulean87

Postby cerulean87 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:47 pm

Capitol A wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:

I've been checking it out online. It looks like a great area. I'm waiting to see other offers but I'm definitely feeling it. It's a region I wouldn't mind working in at the end of law school either. It'll be quite the move from MI though.

cerulean87

Postby cerulean87 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:52 pm

RPK34 wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:

Have you tried emailing/calling them? I negotiated a better scholarship from them, and it sounds like you have a pretty compelling reason for needing more money.

Either way, I'm in the same position as tttlllsss. William and Mary was one of my top choices, and the money makes it an easy choice, unless BC or BU (if I even get accepted) make a real compelling offer.

When you say you negotiated a better scholarship, did you have other offers to compare? Or did you just tell them you were considering but needed more aid?

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:00 pm

Have you tried emailing/calling them? I negotiated a better scholarship from them, and it sounds like you have a pretty compelling reason for needing more money

I emailed, and I explained the situation. They told me that #1:It was too early for them to make this decision (I emailed early Decemeber). #2: I do not have a scholarship to begin with. I have the GRF, which gives in state tuition to an out of state student, and gives me a $4k/yr stipend. They said that they would let me know if additional money came available that they could offer me. It doesn't seem too promising. I'm going to email again in a few weeks. I want them to understand I'm serious, but also don't want them to hate me before I even enroll (there will be 3 whole years for them to learn to hate me). Thoughts?

I've been checking it out online. It looks like a great area. I'm waiting to see other offers but I'm definitely feeling it. It's a region I wouldn't mind working in at the end of law school either. It'll be quite the move from MI though.

It will be quite the move from AZ as well. I think the town is a little different than it seemed to me online. It is certainly small, but it doesn't feel ridiculously small. There really aren't too many bars or clubs, but there is everything else you could want to do, and bigger cities are not far away. I was pleasantly surprised by the town. It was cold (compared to the 70F in Phx) and raining while we were there, and despite that, when we were driving through Phoenix yesterday, my wife said, "I wish we were still in the 'burg" (yes, she already calls it 'the 'burg).

cerulean87

Postby cerulean87 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Capitol A wrote:
Have you tried emailing/calling them? I negotiated a better scholarship from them, and it sounds like you have a pretty compelling reason for needing more money

I emailed, and I explained the situation. They told me that #1:It was too early for them to make this decision (I emailed early Decemeber). #2: I do not have a scholarship to begin with. I have the GRF, which gives in state tuition to an out of state student, and gives me a $4k/yr stipend. They said that they would let me know if additional money came available that they could offer me. It doesn't seem too promising. I'm going to email again in a few weeks. I want them to understand I'm serious, but also don't want them to hate me before I even enroll (there will be 3 whole years for them to learn to hate me). Thoughts?

It will be quite the move from AZ as well. I think the town is a little different than it seemed to me online. It is certainly small, but it doesn't feel ridiculously small. There really aren't too many bars or clubs, but there is everything else you could want to do, and bigger cities are not far away. I was pleasantly surprised by the town. It was cold (compared to the 70F in Phx) and raining while we were there, and despite that, when we were driving through Phoenix yesterday, my wife said, "I wish we were still in the 'burg" (yes, she already calls it 'the 'burg).

Not a club kind of gal. Love the proximity of the national parks though and all the museums, history etc. I come from a small town so I have no problem with the smaller town feel. Haha I bet it was cold in comparison. I think it will be at least slightly warmer than MI so that's a plus. I've been surprised how good the rates are for housing in the area. I was expecting them to be higher. My boyfriend and I would like to rent a house though so I think I'll have to wait to house hunt until I officially decide and make a trip there. Most of the stuff online is all apartment.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:36 pm

Not a club kind of gal. Love the proximity of the national parks though and all the museums, history etc. I come from a small town so I have no problem with the smaller town feel. Haha I bet it was cold in comparison. I think it will be at least slightly warmer than MI so that's a plus. I've been surprised how good the rates are for housing in the area. I was expecting them to be higher. My boyfriend and I would like to rent a house though so I think I'll have to wait to house hunt until I officially decide and make a trip there. Most of the stuff online is all apartment.

I'm the same way (as far as not interested in clubs). I was describing Williamsburg to someone, and I was telling them...There's not shortage of things to do, but there is almost nothing to do indoors. There is certainly no shortage of history. Also one of the things that attracts me to the school and to the area.
Rent seems to be disproportionately high compared to the selling price of houses. I was told that this is related to all the college kids and military people in the area. There are definitely lots of places available though. If you're on the fence, I would say visit. It's a great area.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:20 pm

cerulean87 wrote:
RPK34 wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:Yeah, I got the fellowship. I know there are several others here who received it also.

When you say you negotiated a better scholarship, did you have other offers to compare? Or did you just tell them you were considering but needed more aid?

I had other offers to compare when I emailed them.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:27 pm

Capitol A wrote:

I'm the same way (as far as not interested in clubs). I was describing Williamsburg to someone, and I was telling them...There's not shortage of things to do, but there is almost nothing to do indoors. There is certainly no shortage of history. Also one of the things that attracts me to the school and to the area.
Rent seems to be disproportionately high compared to the selling price of houses. I was told that this is related to all the college kids and military people in the area. There are definitely lots of places available though. If you're on the fence, I would say visit. It's a great area.

+1. Go visit. I loved it and the tour guide did a great job on selling the school. In some ways I enjoyed my visit to W&M more than UVA.

Unfortunately, I have not been admitted, and I likely won't be. GRR...

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Gemini wrote:
snapdragon wrote:
Gemini wrote:I'll hold off my I-told-you-so's until after 2pm. :lol:

:P

New prediction: Gemini gets in, the rest of us get no update. That may prove that W&M is trolling..

HAHAHA, that's funny because I really truly believe they're holding off on my app because they will be WLing or dinging me.

I'd be extraordinarily surprised if you were outright dinged by W&M, barring any red flags (i.e. writing the name of another school on your PS, etc). I'm your #s twin and we're both "Strong Consider" according to LSP. I'm an ORM with above average but not out of the ordinary softs and was accepted with $. Don't lose hope!

By the way, has anyone else signed up for the ASW on March 25-26?

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:37 pm

mettasutta wrote:
I'd be extraordinarily surprised if you were outright dinged by W&M, barring any red flags (i.e. writing the name of another school on your PS, etc). I'm your #s twin and we're both "Strong Consider" according to LSP. I'm an ORM with above average but not out of the ordinary softs and was accepted with $. Don't lose hope!

I have! I will make the treacherous journey across Confusion Corner (if you come to W&M you will become very familiar with it) and see you there!

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:43 pm

kjadkins wrote:
mettasutta wrote:

I have! I will make the treacherous journey across Confusion Corner (if you come to W&M you will become very familiar with it) and see you there!

I have registered for ASW.
I was just at WM last week. Care to elaborate on "Confusion Corner"?

mexicanwa

Postby mexicanwa » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:59 pm

My second letter of recommendation finally got processed by LSAC so now I am waiting anxiously for W&M. Do I have any semblance of a shot this late in the game with a 159, 3.33 (3.56), strong upward trend in GPA, URM (Mexican), okay softs, and good letters?

kjadkins

Postby kjadkins » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:17 pm

Capitol A wrote:
kjadkins wrote:
mettasutta wrote:

I have registered for ASW.
I was just at WM last week. Care to elaborate on "Confusion Corner"?

Exactly how it sounds. About the most confusing corner known to man. It took me probably two years to learn the absurd right-of-way pattern.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFeOrFwSGVs

She doesn't do an excellent job of describing it, but you get the idea.

mettasutta

Postby mettasutta » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:18 pm

mexicanwa wrote:My second letter of recommendation finally got processed by LSAC so now I am waiting anxiously for W&M. Do I have any semblance of a shot this late in the game with a 159, 3.33 (3.56), strong upward trend in GPA, URM (Mexican), okay softs, and good letters?

According to the ABA data for W&M on LSAC, there are literally zero Mexicans in the student body, so your URM status will certainly work in your favor. Based on that and the stats of accepted URM applicants on LSN charts of previous years, I'd say that you stand a decent chance, even this late in the game, provided that you have a compelling PS and an overall well put together application. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”