William & Mary 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Georgewythe22

Re: William & Mary 2011

Postby Georgewythe22 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Capitol A wrote:Thanks. It seems like applying later might make things move a little faster for most people (for the good and bad). I guess that makes sense, as at that point they pretty much know what the applicant pool looks like. Thanks for the info, even though it doesn't make me feel any better.
how is williamsburg? Where did you grow up/go to undergrad? Thanks again.

I absolutely love Williamsburg. Coming to school here was the best choice I have ever made. The town is very historical and we're close to DC, Virginia Beach and Richmond. It seems a lot bigger than it actually is and there's everything you could ever need here. The only downside is the nightlife which is really not that bad because there is no real temptation to go out so more incentive to study!

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:14 pm

Last edited by Emma1 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:01 pm

Still no changes on anyone's status?
Kind of crazy that 2 weeks ago we were all freaking out thinking we would be hearing any minute, and now we're back to waiting cluelessly. I think my anxiety peaked about 3 days ago. At this point I'm back to checking my status only 5 times a day (that's normal, right?)

Trip Coker

Postby Trip Coker » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:22 pm

Capitol A wrote:Still no changes on anyone's status?
Kind of crazy that 2 weeks ago we were all freaking out thinking we would be hearing any minute, and now we're back to waiting cluelessly. I think my anxiety peaked about 3 days ago. At this point I'm back to checking my status only 5 times a day (that's normal, right?)

I would say that is about normal considering I check these threads about 5 times a day instead of logging into the status checker. Using TLS as your "status checker" gives you added benefit of making sure no one else is getting news when you aren't :wink: I imagine things will pick up again in a few weeks.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:28 pm

Gonna apply soon with a 166/3.75. Hoping to get a fellowship or a good sum of money

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:36 pm

Are you a URM? If not, do you really think 166 will get you money? Im 165 and a little worried i wont even be admitted.

Trip Coker

Postby Trip Coker » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:36 pm

RPK34 wrote:Gonna apply soon with a 166/3.75. Hoping to get a fellowship or a good sum of money

From what I read in some other W&M threads I think they are somewhat liberal in offering in-state tuition to out-of state residents in exchange for 8 hours of work per week. I could be completely wrong though.

Capitol A wrote:Are you a URM? If not, do you really think 166 will get you money? Im 165 and a little worried i wont even be admitted.

I was only a 164/3.67 so I should probably just plan on starting a Cooley vs. Florida A&M thread! :)

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:41 pm

[quote]I was only a 164/3.67 so I should probably just plan on starting a Cooley vs. Florida A&M thread!
[quote="RPK34"]

That's not what I meant. Probably just my own insecurity/anxiety about my numbers. I'm 165/3.62, and just do not know what to expect. I'm not even confident I will be admitted at the People's School of Law. Maybe I have issues?

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:49 pm

Capitol A wrote:Are you a URM? If not, do you really think 166 will get you money? Im 165 and a little worried i wont even be admitted.

http://wm.lawschoolnumbers.com/applican ... ,8&type=jd

Scores in my range. There's a 166/3.75 with $72k on there. And more than 50% of them received at least $40k.

Trip Coker

Postby Trip Coker » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:16 pm

Capitol A wrote:
I was only a 164/3.67 so I should probably just plan on starting a Cooley vs. Florida A&M thread!
RPK34 wrote:
That's not what I meant. Probably just my own insecurity/anxiety about my numbers. I'm 165/3.62, and just do not know what to expect. I'm not even confident I will be admitted at the People's School of Law. Maybe I have issues?

I don't know if you have issues, but spending all day on these forums can definitely get to you after a while. It's all a crapshoot anyway. As long as you applied to some schools where you are above the GPA and LSAT 75th percentiles there shouldn't be a problem. Although you always gotta factor in Yield Protect with those schools... :D

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:24 pm

[quote]As long as you applied to some schools where you are above the GPA and LSAT 75th percentiles there shouldn't be a problem. Although you always gotta factor in Yield Protect with those schools...
[quote]
Yeah, the nice thing for me is that one of my favorite schools is one where I am above both 75th percentiles. I'm pretty certain I won't be a candidate for YP there because I visited the campus, and wrote what I think is a pretty solid "why x" essay for them. Honestly, with the schools I applied to, if any one of them is the only one I where I get accepted, I will be super excited to attend.
I think my issues come from the fact that this is honestly the first thing I've ever tried to do that wasn't easy, or where I've had any sort of competition. I've never even applied for a job that I didn't get.
That, and my mom always told me I was special, and now it turns out that might not be true. :(

Trip Coker

Postby Trip Coker » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:33 pm

Capitol A wrote:
As long as you applied to some schools where you are above the GPA and LSAT 75th percentiles there shouldn't be a problem. Although you always gotta factor in Yield Protect with those schools...
Yeah, the nice thing for me is that one of my favorite schools is one where I am above both 75th percentiles. I'm pretty certain I won't be a candidate for YP there because I visited the campus, and wrote what I think is a pretty solid "why x" essay for them. Honestly, with the schools I applied to, if any one of them is the only one I where I get accepted, I will be super excited to attend.
I think my issues come from the fact that this is honestly the first thing I've ever tried to do that wasn't easy, or where I've had any sort of competition. I've never even applied for a job that I didn't get.
That, and my mom always told me I was special, and now it turns out that might not be true. :(

Ahhh yes, you are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. I think I am in the same boat as you. I applied to a lot of schools (including some pretty ridiculous reaches as you could see in my profile) but if I just end up going to my safety school that would be fine with me. It seems like if you have a safety school that you are still excited about attending it makes this whole process a little more tolerable and makes any acceptances that come above it seem like you won a lottery. Just have a few drinks and try to put it all out of your mind for the next month or so.

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:39 pm

I've been Review Complete for a good while now... how does WM dole out acceptances/rejections, anyone know?

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:50 pm

[quote]Just have a few drinks and try to put it all out of your mind for the next month or so.[quote]

Yeah, we go through Makers at my house faster than we go through milk.

Capitol A

Postby Capitol A » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:52 pm

how does WM dole out acceptances/rejections, anyone know?

Read back a little in this thread. There has been a lot of speculation about this. The consensus seems to be that "review complete" is not synonomous with "decision rendered," and based on the decision date graphs on this website, it looks like W&M sent their first acceptances pretty early in Nov, but overall the acceptances were spread pretty evenly through the cycle. Outright rejections appear to be rare. Instead it looks like a lot of late cycle waitlists; but again, this is all just based on looking at last year's waiting thread, and the decision date graphs.

jr1886

Postby jr1886 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:25 am

Good luck to all of you waiting on a decision
Just got a fee waiver in my inbox from W&M
I might send my Apps by the end of the week

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:19 pm

Withdrew app yesterday after being at "review complete" for over 2 weeks. I wish I could wait it out but...oh well! Good luck to everyone! :D

Spinach Lover

Postby Spinach Lover » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:28 pm

Got a fee waiver this morning. I think I'm going to apply soon in order to secure a spot.

2011Cycle

Postby 2011Cycle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:48 pm

Decision Status updated to "Initial Review Complete" from "Review Complete". same Status Date: 10/13

Deuce

Postby Deuce » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:50 pm

2011Cycle wrote:Decision Status updated to "Initial Review Complete" from "Review Complete". same Status Date: 10/13

Huh, me too... shouldn't the initial review be completed before the review is completed? :lol:

2011Cycle

Postby 2011Cycle » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:54 pm

Deuce wrote:
2011Cycle wrote:Decision Status updated to "Initial Review Complete" from "Review Complete". same Status Date: 10/13

Huh, me too... shouldn't the initial review be completed before the review is completed? :lol:

One would think so. maybe they have received calls regarding and decided to specify

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:59 pm

Deuce wrote:

+1

mhernton

Postby mhernton » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Guys, I went through all of this last year with W&M. They say they are not a rolling admissions school. Thats a little BS, I submitted by application in the first week of November. It took a while for my LORs to come in. I was accepted to W&M on November 19th. The first batch of acceptances don't go out until the second week of November at the earliest. I freaked myself out like most of you trying to figure out if I screwed up and a bunch of things. I didn't, the office is on a schedule and is inundated with applications. In the last couple of years they have had a record number of apps. They deal with them in batches, and send out acceptances mostly to people they know will probably take the offer first. Last year there were a lot of 3.8/170s that were sitting on a review complete for a while, after I had been accepted. A lot of other people with number competitive for schools in the 23-33 range got accepted pretty quickly. It seemed that they wanted the people that were sure about W&M before those that used it as a safety school. That is just my observation after seeing this last year. I had to defer for a year because of some issues with the military so, I'll be coming in with the class of 2014.

Good Luck

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:34 pm

mhernton wrote:Guys, I went through all of this last year with W&M. They say they are not a rolling admissions school. Thats a little BS, I submitted by application in the first week of November. It took a while for my LORs to come in. I was accepted to W&M on November 19th. The first batch of acceptances don't go out until the second week of November at the earliest. I freaked myself out like most of you trying to figure out if I screwed up and a bunch of things. I didn't, the office is on a schedule and is inundated with applications. In the last couple of years they have had a record number of apps. They deal with them in batches, and send out acceptances mostly to people they know will probably take the offer first. Last year there were a lot of 3.8/170s that were sitting on a review complete for a while, after I had been accepted. A lot of other people with number competitive for schools in the 23-33 range got accepted pretty quickly. It seemed that they wanted the people that were sure about W&M before those that used it as a safety school. That is just my observation after seeing this last year. I had to defer for a year because of some issues with the military so, I'll be coming in with the class of 2014.

Good Luck

I forgot, what's the name of the action taken when a person with really high numbers (aka 3.8/170) applies to a school like W&M? They protect their numbers or something. There's a name for it...

Anyway I am a 164/3.82 applying for this cycle! Best of luck to all!

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:47 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
mhernton wrote:Guys, I went through all of this last year with W&M. They say they are not a rolling admissions school. Thats a little BS, I submitted by application in the first week of November. It took a while for my LORs to come in. I was accepted to W&M on November 19th. The first batch of acceptances don't go out until the second week of November at the earliest. I freaked myself out like most of you trying to figure out if I screwed up and a bunch of things. I didn't, the office is on a schedule and is inundated with applications. In the last couple of years they have had a record number of apps. They deal with them in batches, and send out acceptances mostly to people they know will probably take the offer first. Last year there were a lot of 3.8/170s that were sitting on a review complete for a while, after I had been accepted. A lot of other people with number competitive for schools in the 23-33 range got accepted pretty quickly. It seemed that they wanted the people that were sure about W&M before those that used it as a safety school. That is just my observation after seeing this last year. I had to defer for a year because of some issues with the military so, I'll be coming in with the class of 2014.

Good Luck

I forgot, what's the name of the action taken when a person with really high numbers (aka 3.8/170) applies to a school like W&M? They protect their numbers or something. There's a name for it...

Anyway I am a 164/3.82 applying for this cycle! Best of luck to all!

YP - Yield Protect.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”