W&L 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WVUCelticFan

Re: W&L 2011 Applicants

Postby WVUCelticFan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:04 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:are people with full considering giving up 1-20 or 1-10 to go?

I'll take W&L full ride over Gtown at sticker for what I want to do. Haven't heard back from UVA or GW yet, but they'd have to give good offers. For the moment its between W&L and W&M unless Columbia surprises me with acceptance.

Note: Big Law is not high on my priorities and I'm happy to stay in WV to work.

RedBeard410

Postby RedBeard410 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:06 pm

Full Tuition Scholarship!

165/3.8 3.25 GPA to keep it after the first year.

Very tempting. Also they sent a postcard about the admitted student Open Houses that offered $300 in travel expenses and a hotel room.

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:07 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:full tuition as well 3.9/165

are you actually considering W& L?

to be honest....I wasn't before this offer. The school's I am considering are vandy and W&M...but I am debating if a full scholly is worth it?

I didn't get a full scholly, but close to it. I sat down and calculated tuition+COL+interest (with a ten year repayment plan) at various schools with different scholarships. It's definitely an eye opener.

By the way, has anyone taken a look at the first year courses? American Public Law Process, Transnational Law, Professional Responsibility? Seems like kind of abnormal compared to most 1L programs.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:33 pm

$20K, with a 3.15 stipulation. Meh.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:35 pm

RPK34 wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:full tuition as well 3.9/165

are you actually considering W& L?

to be honest....I wasn't before this offer. The school's I am considering are vandy and W&M...but I am debating if a full scholly is worth it?

I didn't get a full scholly, but close to it. I sat down and calculated tuition+COL+interest (with a ten year repayment plan) at various schools with different scholarships. It's definitely an eye opener.

By the way, has anyone taken a look at the first year courses? American Public Law Process, Transnational Law, Professional Responsibility? Seems like kind of abnormal compared to most 1L programs.

$5,000 scholarship. Just enough to keep W&L as my top choice, especially when combined with their LRAP program. I am not doing big law. I am also going to look into their work study program.

Also, those courses sound interesting, especially American Public Law.

Baring a miracle at Boalt or USC, very likely going to end up here.

lilliea

Postby lilliea » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:27 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
$5,000 scholarship. Just enough to keep W&L as my top choice, especially when combined with their LRAP program. I am not doing big law. I am also going to look into their work study program.

Congrats!

How does it make sense you got your letter in CA, when I'm still waiting for one in MI? USPS, I don't understand!

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:30 am

just applied today, my first app out. good luck everyone

GentlemanJim

Postby GentlemanJim » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:02 am

Just realized there was no fee and applied. Was initially hesitant because I come from a very southern background and am slightly tired of the seersucker set, but hey it's a great school. Why not?

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:44 am

WVUCelticFan wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:are people with full considering giving up 1-20 or 1-10 to go?

I'll take W&L full ride over Gtown at sticker for what I want to do. Haven't heard back from UVA or GW yet, but they'd have to give good offers. For the moment its between W&L and W&M unless Columbia surprises me with acceptance.

I agree no way I'd pay sticker at Gtown if I could go to W&L for free. The only school I'm applying to that I'd be willing to pay sticker at is Michigan and NYU (only because of the military, I get a ton of money automatically to go to those schools)

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:16 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:

I agree no way I'd pay sticker at Gtown if I could go to W&L for free. The only school I'm applying to that I'd be willing to pay sticker at is Michigan and NYU (only because of the military, I get a ton of money automatically to go to those schools)

Glad to see someone that agrees with me / doesn't think I'm crazy to pick W&L over a T14. I'm going to try and visit W&M right before the Feb ASW at W&L and know where I'm going by the end of Feb.

Waiting = sucks.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:18 am

WVUCelticFan wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:

Glad to see someone that agrees with me / doesn't think I'm crazy to pick W&L over a T14. I'm going to try and visit W&M right before the Feb ASW at W&L and know where I'm going by the end of Feb.

Waiting = sucks.

It's not crazy, but if you get into Columbia.... that would change things.

sojasoph

Postby sojasoph » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:20 am

in $30K/3.14 stip/no usb :(

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:36 am

sojasoph wrote:in $30K/3.14 stip/no usb :(

What is usb?

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:21 am

lilliea wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

Congrats!

How does it make sense you got your letter in CA, when I'm still waiting for one in MI? USPS, I don't understand!

Well, is your mail coming from a university mailbox? Mine generally took a day longer that way. But yeah, W&L mail so far has come exactly two business days after it was sent out. I live in a house, since I graduated and took a year off of school.

It is easy for the post office to get here.

lilliea

Postby lilliea » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:59 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
lilliea wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

Congrats!

Well, is your mail coming from a university mailbox? Mine generally took a day longer that way. But yeah, W&L mail so far has come exactly two business days after it was sent out. I live in a house, since I graduated and took a year off of school.

It is easy for the post office to get here.

Nope, I graduated in December, so my mail is definitely coming to a house. I think the post office just hates me and my family. Oh well, just have to stalk the mail lady, I suppose.

meepmeep123

Postby meepmeep123 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:18 am

If you don't mind me asking, did you get a lot of money from w & m? I only received a little from them and nearly a full ride at w & l. i don't know if w & m is still a better bet bc its technically a better school.
WVUCelticFan wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:

Waiting = sucks.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:25 am

I'm a 1/13 acceptance and my status checker just listed a new mailing, "Note from Associate Dean Evans." It looks like Dean Evans is in Student Services. I'm thinking this is not scholarship info, right? Any 1/6ers know?

emhellmer

Postby emhellmer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:30 am

$25K a year with a 3.15 stipulation. So happy!

164/3.77. Looks like W&L is a little random regarding numbers. I like it!

I have full rides at other schools, but I am really liking the looks of W&L. I feel a little crazy turning down a full ride in favor of $15K+ in tuition, but I am just loving this school. Can't wait for ASW!

lvsmithmarsh

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:49 am

Have any 1/6 accepts gotten scholarship info? I know the dean's note mentioned that the 1/14 letters were going out to everyone accepted by 1/6 - does that include 1/6??

I guess we'll see what today's mail brings...

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:50 am

meepmeep123 wrote:If you don't mind me asking, did you get a lot of money from w & m? I only received a little from them and nearly a full ride at w & l. i don't know if w & m is still a better bet bc its technically a better school.

They're really pretty equal.

lilliea

Postby lilliea » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:59 am

Moral_Midgetry wrote:I'm a 1/13 acceptance and my status checker just listed a new mailing, "Note from Associate Dean Evans." It looks like Dean Evans is in Student Services. I'm thinking this is not scholarship info, right? Any 1/6ers know?

You'll be getting letters from just about every Dean and Associate Dean they've got. So far, I've gotten three and none have had anything to do with scholarship money.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:04 pm

lilliea wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:I'm a 1/13 acceptance and my status checker just listed a new mailing, "Note from Associate Dean Evans." It looks like Dean Evans is in Student Services. I'm thinking this is not scholarship info, right? Any 1/6ers know?

You'll be getting letters from just about every Dean and Associate Dean they've got. So far, I've gotten three and none have had anything to do with scholarship money.

Great, I wish they would skip the bullshit and get to the bottom line.

iwanta170

Postby iwanta170 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:31 pm

I've yet to receive my scholarship letter. Nothing in today's mail. If it was mailed Friday it should be here by now. Maybe tomorrow

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:32 pm

What area do you live in ? West coast? Northeast?
Last edited by Emma1 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:36 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
lilliea wrote:

Great, I wish they would skip the bullshit and get to the bottom line.

dude your avatar makes me laugh every time I see it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”