W&L 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SrLaw

Re: W&L 2011 Applicants

Postby SrLaw » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Does anyone have any insight on whether the applicants who were just accepted can look forward to in terms of scholarships? Will W&L offer larger offers to the first wave of acceptances then the group that was just accepted?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:45 pm

SrLaw wrote:Does anyone have any insight on whether the applicants who were just accepted can look forward to in terms of scholarships? Will W&L offer larger offers to the first wave of acceptances then the group that was just accepted?

Prob since they do say on their site that funds dry up early.

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:20 pm

Hey guys W&L 1L here....if you have any questions feel free to ask. (I haven't been on TLS in a long time so I'm not sure if there's another thread where this is already going on, but talking to current students on here really helped me with my decision, so I wanted pay it back as it were).

aquyenl

Postby aquyenl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:Hey guys W&L 1L here....if you have any questions feel free to ask. (I haven't been on TLS in a long time so I'm not sure if there's another thread where this is already going on, but talking to current students on here really helped me with my decision, so I wanted pay it back as it were).

What schools were u considering prior to choosing w&l? What made you choose w&l over the other schools? Are you happy at w&l so far?

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:42 pm

Also, what are your thoughts on Lexington? I've never been. I've heard "it' small but social". Thoughts?

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:47 pm

How does the honor code affect your daily routine in law school?

What is the student body like? (I know that's broad, but in your experience- like to party? Mature? Single/Married? Competitive?)

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:25 pm

aquyenl wrote:
Rowinguy2009 wrote:Hey guys W&L 1L here....if you have any questions feel free to ask. (I haven't been on TLS in a long time so I'm not sure if there's another thread where this is already going on, but talking to current students on here really helped me with my decision, so I wanted pay it back as it were).

What schools were u considering prior to choosing w&l? What made you choose w&l over the other schools? Are you happy at w&l so far?

I applied to about 10-11 places....my top 3 choices were W&L, W&M, and Emory. To be perfectly honest the real deal maker for W&L was that I got a full ride, and free school is just really damn hard to turn down. That being said I wouldn't have picked W&L if I wasn't comfortable with it for other reasons. When I came down for admitted students weekend I got an awesome vibe from the profs/other admitted students/current students/admissions staff. I really like the third year; I've heard all the arguments for and against it and at the end of the day I would just rather be doing our third year than a typical one. (Personally I am much more interested in the hands on practice of the law than the theoretical discussion of it, I've enjoyed law school discussions/debates, but I hands down want to be a lawyer, not a law professor).

I'm really happy with my decision so far, I've become extremely close to my group of friends, and honestly everyone is nice and easy to get along with. I don't get a competitive vibe at all. Grades were literally just released three days ago and everyone tried to be as supportive as possible given that some people were thrilled and others were crushed.

But while the small size of the school and city makes everyone really close, it can admittedly be claustrophobic at times. You literally see the same people at the grocery store, at the library, at the bars, I think at first this just kinda annoyed me but I'm actually becoming used to it.

There is a mix of personalities, I would guess we have an above average number of people who did not come straight out of undergrad (no stats whatsoever to back this up, but as a person who did come straight out I often get the feeling that most people have at least a couple years in between UG and law school.)

Probably about half the people go out on a regular basis, me being one of them. There are only two bars but we try to switch things up and have parties and the like; the school often hosts events that can be pretty fun, there is honestly never a weekend where there isn't something going on. Most of the people who don't "go out" are still fairly social. Several of the people I studied with last semester were not people who went out normally, and for me it was nice to work with them cause they're not people who I typically hang out with on a day to day basis.

The honor code is awesome, I leave my stuff lying around the library literally every day, my laptop is sitting unattended on a desk in the library as we speak. I went to a big state school for undergrad where you were given no benefit of the doubt in regards to cheating and it's really nice to not have to worry about stuff like exam taking software and whatnot.

I know all this was fairly general... I tried to hit most of the points. Feel free to ask away and I'll try to ellaborate as much as possible.

softsgalore

Postby softsgalore » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:36 pm

How conservative would you say the general environment is? How conservative are your profs and fellow students?

energizer

Postby energizer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:39 pm

do you know anyone in off waiting list?

aquyenl

Postby aquyenl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:16 pm

do you live on campus? is it necessary to have a car to get around places? i wont have a car at all if i attend. thanks for your answers so far it is really helpful!

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:20 pm

How diverse is W and L? I've heard not very, and that's a really important issue for me because I'm an ethnic minority.

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:27 pm

I saw you mentioned there being only two bar (fine with me...being a regular - usually - equates to better service). What about coffee shops? Any other places where people tend to usually hang out, especially anything with live music?

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:37 pm

softsgalore wrote:How conservative would you say the general environment is? How conservative are your profs and fellow students?

I think the students are very diverse when it comes to political views, I would guess we are slightly more conservative than your average law school....but this is just a guess, and there are still more liberal leaning students than conservative leaning.

The only real political viewpoint that I've picked up from any of my profs is libertarianism....and I have gotten hints of that from a couple different profs, but other than that it doesn't seem any of them are super opinionated one way or another.

energizer wrote:do you know anyone in off waiting list?

Yes I know and am good friends with several people who got off the waiting list. An observation we have made is that far more girls got off the waiting list this year because our class is more than 2/3 dudes so they were trying to correct that ratio a little.

aquyenl wrote:do you live on campus? is it necessary to have a car to get around places? i wont have a car at all if i attend. thanks for your answers so far it is really helpful!

I have an off campus apartment that is extremely close to the law school (probably around a half mile away). I know a couple people that don't have cars so obviously it can be done, but I feel that it would be very difficult to get groceries and stuff like that without one. Public transportation is non-existent. The town is small so you can theoretically walk to most things but I would think that would get old quick.

law4vus wrote:How diverse is W and L? I've heard not very, and that's a really important issue for me because I'm an ethnic minority.

I think percentage wise we are just as diverse as most schools, but given how small the school is, that translates into a smaller number of minorities than other schools. The undergrads and town folk are fairly vanilla.

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:44 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:I saw you mentioned there being only two bar (fine with me...being a regular - usually - equates to better service). What about coffee shops? Any other places where people tend to usually hang out, especially anything with live music?

I'm not a big coffee drinker but I think we have two coffee shops. There was a really cool live music place called Woods Creek that served food and had good drink specials and whatnot....but it closed down this past Friday. It didn't go out of business but was bought by someone else, so no one is really sure what its future is at this point.

Most hanging out is just done at people's houses/apartments. For the size of the city Lexington does have a lot of food places (both fast food and nicer sit down places) and so it's fairly common to hit up those and take advantage of drink specials and stuff like that.

There is also a ton of outdoorsy hiking/climbing type stuff that people take advantage of pretty frequently. There's a cool place called Goshen we went swimming at a few times toward the beginning of the year and had our 1L pig roast at later on in the semester.

PS nice screename I was a WVU undergrad

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:18 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:
PS nice screename I was a WVU undergrad

Good man yourself.

PM about to be sent.

weejonbu

Postby weejonbu » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:27 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:There's a cool place called Goshen we went swimming at a few times toward the beginning of the year and had our 1L pig roast at later on in the semester.

Sweet. Don't know if I even need to go to ASW, I think I have enough information now.

1L pig roast? I'm there =)

emhellmer

Postby emhellmer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:34 pm

I have heard nothing but great things about Washington and Lee. I can't wait for ASW.

softsgalore

Postby softsgalore » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:11 am

Libertarianism? Thank you for the warning. I will be crossing it off my list. If I have to grit my teeth against one more professor who wants to slyly advocate the policies of Ron Paul or Ayn Rand in class, I will just drop out of school and get a job as a janitor somewhere.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:57 am

emhellmer wrote:I have heard nothing but great things about Washington and Lee. I can't wait for ASW.

+1. I have spent a lot of time lately reading up on W&L. After reading the last few posts, I am now even more excited for ASW.

W&L is definitely one of my top choices.

Btw, how are the intramural sports? Have you tried going hiking/running around the trails in the area?

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:09 am

Libertarianism? Thank you for the warning. I will be crossing it off my list. If I have to grit my teeth against one more professor who wants to slyly advocate the policies of Ron Paul or Ayn Rand in class, I will just drop out of school and get a job as a janitor somewhere.

Good. Sounds like I wouldn't want you in my class anyway.

softsgalore

Postby softsgalore » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:13 am

It'd be great. Softsgalore Shrugged, coming soon to a campus free-market evangelist near you.

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:25 am

softsgalore wrote:Libertarianism? Thank you for the warning. I will be crossing it off my list. If I have to grit my teeth against one more professor who wants to slyly advocate the policies of Ron Paul or Ayn Rand in class, I will just drop out of school and get a job as a janitor somewhere.

Just to clarify, law school is very different from undergrad. I've never had a professor give a soapbox speech on any issue, I rarely hear them talk at all about political things unless it is very related to the subject at hand.

I had one or two profs last semester, and if you really listened to them it seemed they were in support of less intervention when it came to the law and government. This was not something that was blasted, but something that you really had to pay attention to just to even pick up on.

Other than these subtle undertones the four profs I've had so far (don't know enough about my spring semester ones to say one way or another) were all very apolitical, welcomed differing opinions, and kept the conversation to the black letter law most of the time.

I would think that if you are that opposed to ever hearing a libertarian viewpoint, you should probably jus go ahead and fill out that janitor application.

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:07 pm

Got scholarship info this morning with an offer of 15k per year.

Moral_Midgetry

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:14 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:Got scholarship info this morning with an offer of 15k per year.

Numbers?

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:15 pm

ksimon2007 wrote:Got scholarship info this morning with an offer of 15k per year.

Nice! Now this will make me nervous waiting for the mail all day today.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”