W&L 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tepper

Re: W&L 2011 Applicants

Postby tepper » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:22 pm

back to the waitlist, honestly I'm not sure if I can wait for Washington & Lee much longer, most schools have their deposits due on April 1st.

drummerboy

Postby drummerboy » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:23 pm

+1 i believe youre right. for example, iowa is a great school and probably one of the best i might get into but im really not sure i could stomach iowa coming from theSE. im also on the 2nd waitlist from wand L

The Weather

Postby The Weather » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:22 am

BlueDiamond wrote:scholly letter today.. 35k a year .. 3.15 gpa stip

Congrats! Thats awesome. I saw two letters in my mailbox today and thought finally!!....but I was wrong..........I was kind of hoping that you wouldnt hear back so you could call and tell me what they say lol. I will just have to convince myself that it is defn coming tomorrow (just like I have done the past 4 days)

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:33 am

tepper wrote:back to the waitlist, honestly I'm not sure if I can wait for Washington & Lee much longer, most schools have their deposits due on April 1st.

for real? None of my school do I don't think.

tepper

Postby tepper » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:48 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
tepper wrote:back to the waitlist, honestly I'm not sure if I can wait for Washington & Lee much longer, most schools have their deposits due on April 1st.

for real? None of my school do I don't think.

For most of the schools I've heard back from so far, most of them have their first deposit due on either April 1st or 15th, with the second deposit due a month or two later.

If W&L gets back to me during the summer, then worst case scenario I'll just have to waste 500 bucks assuming they're non-refundable.

or.... I get dinged, which I believe it's actually better to find out now instead of waiting for 8 months and then finally get dinged.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:30 pm

The Weather wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:scholly letter today.. 35k a year .. 3.15 gpa stip

Congrats! Thats awesome. I saw two letters in my mailbox today and thought finally!!....but I was wrong..........I was kind of hoping that you wouldnt hear back so you could call and tell me what they say lol. I will just have to convince myself that it is defn coming tomorrow (just like I have done the past 4 days)

thanks.. definitely makes W&L my first choice for the time being.. still have a lot of schools to hear back from but 105k over three years would be a lot to turn down.. im not far geographically from the school and it took 10 days to get to me.. so id say give it til monday after whenever you usually would get mail to call

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:02 am

Already mentioned before, and started a different thread under "discuss your law school," but I thought I would throw it out there anyway...

I'm a 1L...open to all questions.

I will try and stay on top of this, but try not to flood me all at once. I will also try to respond to PM's as quickly as I can get to them.

irenic

Postby irenic » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:09 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:Already mentioned before, and started a different thread under "discuss your law school," but I thought I would throw it out there anyway...

I will try and stay on top of this, but try not to flood me all at once. I will also try to respond to PM's as quickly as I can get to them.

Thank you for taking questions. How is the town of Lexington for the law students and what are living expenses like? Also, how competitive are your classmates towards each other and how is the workload as a 1L? Lastly, I am on the wait list and I'm very interested in attending if accepted. However, I won't get any form of scholarship. Do you think it would be wise to go $150,000+ in debt for W&L?

Thank you very much for your time!

TyrodTaylor

Postby TyrodTaylor » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:26 pm

Just withdrew from the final waitlist. Good luck all.

MCRemix

Postby MCRemix » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:15 pm

Acceptance email in! Given that I'm a VERY late applier, the process was very fast, I'm impressed.

Snail mail wait now for any scholarship info...

spets

Postby spets » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:20 pm

Just accepted through e-mail. Applied 2/8

binghamtonalum

Postby binghamtonalum » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:16 am

Applied 2/8, IN via e-mail!

MCRemix

Postby MCRemix » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:06 pm

Received my snail mail letter today with a car window sticker. 8)

How long has the wait been for most people from admit letter to scholarship info?

TheGreatWait

Postby TheGreatWait » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:15 pm

irenic wrote:
statuscheckerssuck wrote:Already mentioned before, and started a different thread under "discuss your law school," but I thought I would throw it out there anyway...

Thank you for taking questions. How is the town of Lexington for the law students and what are living expenses like? Also, how competitive are your classmates towards each other and how is the workload as a 1L? Lastly, I am on the wait list and I'm very interested in attending if accepted. However, I won't get any form of scholarship. Do you think it would be wise to go $150,000+ in debt for W&L?

Thank you very much for your time!

I went to W&L undergrad, so figured I'd speak up on Lexington. I absolutely LOVED it there as an undergrad, but you do have to go in knowing that there isn't a whole lot going on in town. It didn't matter at all for undergrad because there was a lot happening on campus, especially if you joined the greek system, which roughly 80% of students do. Not sure how much it affects the law students. I know the student bar association has good funding and has a lot of functions. I have a few friends in law school there right now who like it a lot. There are 3 bars in town (well, technically 2 because one burned down last year but is being rebuilt), which can be fun because you will see all your friends there, but potentially not fun if you want to escape from the people you see all the time. If you are a big city person, Lexington is probably not for you. It takes 45 minutes to get to the nearest Starbucks. But I don't really know anyone who didn't fall in love with Lexington during their time in school there, and I am strongly considering moving back there for law school. Also, cost of living is great. I know someone who lives in a 2 bedroom cabin on 500 acres there and pays $650/month. There are also some nice townhomes that a lot of law students (especially students with families) live in that go for $750/month, and some way cheaper apartment options in town (I shared a 2 bedroom apartment one summer and we each paid $300/month).

One other note: there is kind of a weird separation at W&L between law students and undergrads. If you were banking on undergrads being part of your social circle, don't. There's no real reason for it, but I guess because the law school is kind of far (in Lexington terms) from the undergrad side of campus, you just don't interact much. That's not to say that you won't meet undergrad students, it's just that in my experience, law students & undergrads don't really hang out or see each other much. Kind of a weird comment, I know, but I remember some people I knew being surprised by that, so I figured I'd throw it out there.

If anyone has any questions about the town/basic W&L questions, I'd be happy to help.

lawyer

Postby lawyer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:23 pm

Can you guys talk about your phone interview experiences? Lots of details please.

cjw2222

Postby cjw2222 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:51 pm

In with 3.5 and 164.

I'm from AZ and intend to practice here in Phoenix. Anybody have any insight as to their national pull with law firms? Also in at ASU and debating whether the extra $ will be well spent.

HelltotheNo

Postby HelltotheNo » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:57 pm

cjw2222 wrote:In with 3.5 and 164.

I'm from AZ and intend to practice here in Phoenix. Anybody have any insight as to their national pull with law firms? Also in at ASU and debating whether the extra $ will be well spent.

Obviously go with ASU. Why are you considering W&L if Phoenix is your goal and you are in at ASU?

cjw2222

Postby cjw2222 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:01 pm

HelltotheNo wrote:

Obviously go with ASU. Why are you considering W&L if Phoenix is your goal and you are in at ASU?

Just curious if another school with slightly better numbers will set an applicant apart from others for jobs. Most looking for jobs in Phoenix are from ASU and I am unsure if a school like W&L draws a second look from hiring personnel.

amers73

Postby amers73 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:05 pm

cjw2222 wrote:
Just curious if another school with slightly better numbers will set an applicant apart from others for jobs. Most looking for jobs in Phoenix are from ASU and I am unsure if a school like W&L draws a second look from hiring personnel.

It can if you have major connections to the Phoenix market, but ASU isn't that far under W&L.

I can see what you mean though, my city mostly has TT and TTT/TTTT law schools feeding into their market.

waketiger

Postby waketiger » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:54 pm

Do you mind me asking if you're an URM?

cjw2222

Postby cjw2222 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:01 pm

waketiger wrote:

White Male. No URM, or any other distinguishing traits.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:03 pm

cjw2222 wrote:
waketiger wrote:

White Male. No URM, or any other distinguishing traits.

I have the exact same stats.

Anyway, I just withdrew myself from the waitlist. Good luck to everyone still on it.

columbia86

Postby columbia86 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:27 pm

How do admitted students feel about W&L's Biglaw placement relative to its ranking?

leidice

Postby leidice » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:12 pm

Anyone else receive that giant packet of employment info? I have only scanned through it as of now, but I must say I am thoroughly impressed with the school's transparency and ability to place students in pretty decent jobs. It's extremely nice to see information like this... especially as I just returned home from attending UF's ASD. They wouldn't even allow us to ask the Career Services person questions during the session...

chrisjmcd

Postby chrisjmcd » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:22 pm

leidice wrote:Anyone else receive that giant packet of employment info? I have only scanned through it as of now, but I must say I am thoroughly impressed with the school's transparency and ability to place students in pretty decent jobs. It's extremely nice to see information like this... especially as I just returned home from attending UF's ASD. They wouldn't even allow us to ask the Career Services person questions during the session...

Just got it in the mail today and I agree - very impressive. It's very reassuring that they compiled such an extensive packet and were so open about everything. Must say too that the salary info is quite appealing to look at....

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”