W&L 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HelltotheNo

Re: W&L 2011 Applicants

Postby HelltotheNo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:12 pm

ran12 wrote:I have an advisor who told me that W&L would be worth sticker, at least in my case. I've been offered full rides and a lot of money at other schools but I would def take W&L at sticker and I emailed them to make sure they knew that.

What schools have offered you $$$

From employers I have spoken with, William and Mary is much more highly regarded than Washington and Lee.
Last edited by HelltotheNo on Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgarfigaro

Postby edgarfigaro » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:13 pm

I just withdrew from the waitlist- I wasn't going there without money, and they were again pretty transparent that getting in off the waitlist = no money. Shame, I really like the way the W&L administration has been moving to transparency from the admissions process to the job information.

Good luck to everyone else.

HelltotheNo

Postby HelltotheNo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:15 pm

edgarfigaro wrote:I just withdrew from the waitlist- I wasn't going there without money, and they were again pretty transparent that getting in off the waitlist = no money. Shame, I really like the way the W&L administration has been moving to transparency from the admissions process to the job information.

I do not want to bad mouth Washington and Lee but as a lurker of this thread I have frequently noticed the hype about admissions. I personally would not read into how fast they make their decisions. They make them quickly because it is the right business move for them, not to reflect what it will be like to attend law school at Washington and Lee.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:15 pm

HelltotheNo wrote:
ran12 wrote:I have an advisor who told me that W&L would be worth sticker, at least in my case. I've been offered full rides and a lot of money at other schools but I would def take W&L at sticker and I emailed them to make sure they knew that.

What schools have offered you $$$?

Schools in the 40-70 range. They're fine for their region but I personally like W&L a lot better. Plus, I have family connections to biglaw that I can always fall back on worse case scenario but would rather not do that. Would rather get it done on my own.

But as others have posted, in most cases W&L at sticker isn't the best idea.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:15 pm

flat rejected 164/3.6

HelltotheNo

Postby HelltotheNo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:16 pm

ran12 wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:

Schools in the 40-70 range. They're fine for their region but I personally like W&L a lot better. Plus, I have family connections to biglaw that I can always fall back on worse case scenario but would rather not do that. Would rather get it done on my own.

Washington and Lee @ sticker is not a good move, I agree.

TurkeyDay

Postby TurkeyDay » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:17 pm

re-waitlisted
161/3.61
yaarggggh

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:18 pm

I'm holding on to the hope that enough people with $ will withdraw, so when I get in (god willing) they will be like "here you go, we've been saving up all this $$$ with YOU in mind". Thats logical right :?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:18 pm

When they start taking people off the WL again, it'll most likely be girls who get first shot b/c W&L is sort of disportionate in the gender ratio.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:18 pm

edgarfigaro wrote:I just withdrew from the waitlist- I wasn't going there without money, and they were again pretty transparent that getting in off the waitlist = no money. Shame, I really like the way the W&L administration has been moving to transparency from the admissions process to the job information.

Just did the same. Gl everyone who are trying to get off the waitlist.
Last edited by ArchRoark on Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gens1tb

Postby gens1tb » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:19 pm

Seeing the stats of people waitlisted when I just got denied makes me think W&L really didn't like me...

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:21 pm

ran12 wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:

If your LSN profile is correct, and you have connections(and even if you don't want biglaw, those can help you out in other areas), why would you pay sticker? I don't know your life, but the money you have at UTK is AMAZING and I wouldn't turn that down. If you really do have connections, go to the least expensive school and profit.

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:22 pm

gens1tb wrote:Seeing the stats of people waitlisted when I just got denied makes me think W&L really didn't like me...

In my experience this first cycle, with the exception of the T14, its a crap shoot. Anything can happen. Who knows why who likes who, I'm on WLs my stats would have never predicted.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:30 pm

pinkcamellia wrote:
ran12 wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:

If your LSN profile is correct, and you have connections(and even if you don't want biglaw, those can help you out in other areas), why would you pay sticker? I don't know your life, but the money you have at UTK is AMAZING and I wouldn't turn that down. If you really do have connections, go to the least expensive school and profit.

That's what people are telling me but idk if I want to go there since I'm from NY. It's just far and a different type of culture there.

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:36 pm

ran12 wrote:That's what people are telling me but idk if I want to go there since I'm from NY. It's just far and a different type of culture there.

Ah, a Yankee! :wink: It is a lot different down here, you're right, but you might like it! Low CoL and great weather are a plus, and Knoxville is no NYC, but it's still pretty fun. Have you considered a visit? You can PM me if you want - I have lived all over the South. Good luck!

Stonewall

Postby Stonewall » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:42 pm

just re-waitlisted. this is bullshit, with no cash and the fact that I'm have numbers right in their sweet spot, for them to be playing this game is ridiculous

IamAskier

Postby IamAskier » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:48 pm

Heres another wildly speculative question, would W&L be worth it with 15k? Due to my individual situation/family finances, I'm expecting about that much year.

WVUCelticFan

Postby WVUCelticFan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:51 pm

HelltotheNo wrote:

From employers I have spoken with, William and Mary is much more highly regarded than Washington and Lee.

Not commenting on whether paying sticker is worth it or not, but a comment on the last part -

Three managing partners for mid-law firms that I've talked to have (much) higher opinions of W&L. I think it just depends on the firm and location which has the edge.

TyrodTaylor

Postby TyrodTaylor » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:53 pm

thats prob because W&L used to be a ebtter school (according to the rankings, not commenting on reality)

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:52 pm

scholly letter today.. 35k a year .. 3.15 gpa stip

dhbzz

Postby dhbzz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Last edited by dhbzz on Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wokeemilo

Postby wokeemilo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:02 pm

dhbzz wrote:my status checker didn't move... still says waitlisted from 2/3...

that's because they were only reviewing people who were waitlisted on or before 1/20. they said they were more selective with waitlist people after 1/20.

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:08 pm

Was anyone able to negotiate their scholarship award?

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:10 pm

WVUCelticFan wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:

Not commenting on whether paying sticker is worth it or not, but a comment on the last part -

Three managing partners for mid-law firms that I've talked to have (much) higher opinions of W&L. I think it just depends on the firm and location which has the edge.

Would you guys take UNC or W&L? Really though, I am deciding between those two plus Boulder. OSU as well especially since they gave me unexpected $.

BlakcMajikc

Postby BlakcMajikc » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:00 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
WVUCelticFan wrote:
HelltotheNo wrote:

Would you guys take UNC or W&L? Really though, I am deciding between those two plus Boulder. OSU as well especially since they gave me unexpected $.

Pick the area of the country you want to live/work in... then pick your school.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”