W&L 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Crazycall2

New

W&L 2011 Applicants

Post by Crazycall2 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Has anyone heard back, applied, or gone complete yet?

I applied today (10/12) and got my login, but so far my file is incomplete.

jeremychristiansen

New

Re: W&L 2011 Applicants

Post by jeremychristiansen » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:14 pm

I have been complete since 9/15. Its probably going to be a while.

blah...

New

Post by blah... » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:15 pm

What are yall's stats? If you dont mind me asking

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:17 pm

Crazycall2 wrote:Has anyone heard back, applied, or gone complete yet?

went complete early sept but retook the lsat so waiting to hear back.

im a fee waiver, and got an e-mail from a professor today so who knows, so maybe im in. maybe im not. my psychological approach to the cycle is research all the schools, but don't get attached to anyone until they accept me.

what do u mean ur login? ive just been looking on LSAC.

jeremychristiansen

New

Post by jeremychristiansen » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:22 pm

163, 3.67

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:26 pm

jeremychristiansen wrote:163, 3.67
you're .1 above me on the GPA, a number of points back on the LSAT. is W&M a highest or avrg school in terms of the LSAT?

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:07 pm

justadude55 wrote:
Crazycall2 wrote:Has anyone heard back, applied, or gone complete yet?

went complete early sept but retook the lsat so waiting to hear back.

im a fee waiver, and got an e-mail from a professor today so who knows, so maybe im in. maybe im not. my psychological approach to the cycle is research all the schools, but don't get attached to anyone until they accept me.

what do u mean ur login? ive just been looking on LSAC.
You should receive an email from W&L with status checker login information. I have been complete since 9/28.

3.34 166

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:59 pm

sorry wrong school i read this as w&m. got a fee waiver offer from them. looking into it.

Maillot Jaune

New

Post by Maillot Jaune » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Best of luck to you all. I was in the same position last year and am currently at W&L.
I really recommend a visit. You should also look at old discussions and try to get in touch with current students.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:17 pm

Maillot Jaune wrote:Best of luck to you all. I was in the same position last year and am currently at W&L.
I really recommend a visit. You should also look at old discussions and try to get in touch with current students.
nitty gritty on LEGAL employment %age and starting salaries?

Maillot Jaune

New

Post by Maillot Jaune » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:26 pm

There are numbers on the website that (I feel) are accurate and not "fudged". As you may already know many schools will "modify" their numbers by hiring graduates to work at the school (among other methods).

http://law.wlu.edu/deptimages/Career%20 ... %20WEB.pdf

The market is still tough but W&L has fared well based on its reputation and strong alumni network. If there are any specific questions pm me and I will do my best to answer you.

jeremychristiansen

New

Post by jeremychristiansen » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:55 pm

Anyone headed to Federal clerkships? If so are they tax, backruptcy, district, appellate, etc?

Edit: Sorry, should have read the employment data before asking the question.
Last edited by jeremychristiansen on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:56 pm

Maillot Jaune wrote:There are numbers on the website that (I feel) are accurate and not "fudged". As you may already know many schools will "modify" their numbers by hiring graduates to work at the school (among other methods).

http://law.wlu.edu/deptimages/Career%20 ... %20WEB.pdf

The market is still tough but W&L has fared well based on its reputation and strong alumni network. If there are any specific questions pm me and I will do my best to answer you.
yeah one school that will remain nameless told me about their 98% employment rate, and studying for the LSAT, i thought, wait a minute, if i went to your school and wound up working at mcdonalds and did the survey, would i be considered employed when you approached an applicant with these #'s? her answer: yes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

agoldst426

New

Post by agoldst426 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:59 pm

I went complete 10/1. haven't heard anything since.
167, 3.58

Maillot Jaune

New

Post by Maillot Jaune » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:09 pm

jeremychristiansen wrote:Anyone headed to Federal clerkships? If so are they tax, backruptcy, district, appellate, etc?

Edit: Sorry, should have read the employment data before asking the question.
No worries. W&L has, historically, done well with clerkships (federal and non).

If you are interested in clerking you should check out Law Clerk Addict.
--LinkRemoved--

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:09 pm

agoldst426 wrote:I went complete 10/1. haven't heard anything since.
167, 3.58
id bet u $100 with odds you're in.

Crazycall2

New

Post by Crazycall2 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:15 pm

complete today--anybody know when their earliest acceptances come out?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vegenator

Bronze

Post by vegenator » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:38 pm

Crazycall2 wrote:complete today--anybody know when their earliest acceptances come out?
Went complete on 9/15, but I just got an email from them with FAQs for applications.
To answer your question, they state:
"We will make our first round of decisions by Thanksgiving. We will continue making decisions on a rolling basis throughout the following months. "
Even though it's long (sorry!) I'll post the rest of the email because I think it contains some info most TLSers would like to know. Again, sorry for how long the post will be, but hope the email helps!
Greetings from W&L Law in Lexington, Virginia!

We know you likely have a few questions about how the application review process works at our law school, and we thought an email addressing several of the more common applicant questions would be helpful. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We can be reached by email at LawAdm@wlu.edu or by phone at 540.458.8503.

When will you begin reading files?

We will make our first round of decisions by Thanksgiving. We will continue making decisions on a rolling basis throughout the following months.

How will I be notified of my decision?

This year, we will provide applicants with their decisions via the Applicant Status Online (ASO) interface. If you are admitted or waitlisted, you will also receive a letter notifying you of your decision. If you are denied, you will simply receive your decision via the ASO, and no letter will be mailed. If you did not receive your Applicant Status Online login information, please let us know, and we will be more than happy to assist you.

As a general policy, we will not provide admissions decisions over the phone. Furthermore, due to privacy issues and obligations under Federal law, we will not discuss your file or its ultimate disposition with any other party (parents included) absent explicit written instruction from you authorizing another person to receive such information on your behalf.

When will I receive a decision?

This is a slightly more difficult question to answer. Because we make decisions on a rolling basis, applicant decision timelines can vary, and it is often challenging to provide a given applicant with a definitive date by which she may expect a decision from our office. Nevertheless, we guarantee all applicants whose files are complete by March 1 a decision by no later than the first week of April. As most law schools do not require a seat deposit until mid-April, this timeline should give you a meaningful opportunity to consider W&L Law as well as any other law schools to which you applied.

How does W&L Law make admissions decisions?

At W&L Law, we are committed to a holistic approach to file review. We do not use an admissions index or formula when making admissions decisions. We read your entire file. While your LSAT score and cumulative GPA are significant components in our assessment of your academic potential, they are far from the only factors we consider when making an admissions decision.

While the more numerical aspects of your application are an important part of our evaluation of your ability to manage the work of a law school of W&L's caliber, they do not tell us anything about what kind of person you are. They do not reflect your values, integrity or force of character. They do not say anything about your leadership ability. They do not detail the impact you have had on your community or the other people with whom you've come in contact. These are all things in which we are truly interested, and they can only be gleaned from the so-called "softer" portions of your application (i.e. personal statement, letters of recommendation, etc.).

In our opinion, when applying to W&L Law, you are asking to join a unique community united by common principles (collegiality, collaboration, honesty, trust, to name a few). We want to know you possess these very same values and will thrive in a friendly, personal, liberal arts environment. Such a determination requires both a quantitiative and qualitative consideration of each and every application.

If admitted, will I be considered for a scholarship?

Yes. At W&L Law, all admitted students are automatically considered for a merit scholarship award. Please note, we have no need-based scholarships. Our only form of need-based aid are loans.

We typically make our initial round of scholarship awards in early-to-mid January, with awards being made periodically thereafter. Approximately 60% of our students receive some form of merit scholarship, and scholarship awards typically range in value from $5,000 to full tuition.

If I am awarded a scholarship, how will I be notified of my award?

If you are awarded a scholarship, you will receive a letter detailing your award. As noted above, we typically make our initial round of scholarship awards in early-to-mid January, with awards being made periodically thereafter.

I am interested in visiting. How do I go about setting this up?

Visiting is easily the best way to get a sense of life at W&L Law. When classes are in session, we offer two visit options per day, Monday through Friday. All visit options include the opportunity to attend a class, take a tour with a current student and meet with an admissions representative. If you are interested in scheduling a visit, please feel free to review our Visit Schedule.

We will also be offering three Admitted Student Open Houses this year. These events are only open to admitted students and will take place on February 18-19, March 18-19 and April 1-2. We offer a travel subsidy to and provide lodging at a local hotel for all attendees. If admitted, you will receive additional information, including registration details, about these events.

Thank you again for your interest in W&L Law, and if I can be of further assistance in any way, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:47 pm

Applied a while ago, went complete quickly, sometime in September. I think they start accepting people in late November?

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:38 pm

I sent them and email about my application and the dean of admissions remarked that they won't start reviewing applications until a few weeks from now. Good luck everyone... and enjoy the wait! :)

Trip Coker

New

Post by Trip Coker » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:07 pm

FWIW...

Current Status: Your application file is complete.
Current Status Date: 9/15/2010

3.67 / 164

Good luck to everyone. I love that despite the fact that I know they won't even begin looking at applications for three to four weeks I still check these boards on a daily basis.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:37 pm

Trip Coker wrote:FWIW...

Current Status: Your application file is complete.
Current Status Date: 9/15/2010

3.67 / 164

Good luck to everyone. I love that despite the fact that I know they won't even begin looking at applications for three to four weeks I still check these boards on a daily basis.
Meeee tooooo.

mwheatley

New

Post by mwheatley » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Best of luck to everyone. W&L is my top choice, just waiting on my LSAT score.

Trip Coker

New

Post by Trip Coker » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:46 pm

mwheatley wrote:Best of luck to everyone. W&L is my top choice, just waiting on my LSAT score.

I know that the W&L vs. W&M debate has been done to death on these boards but I don't remember anyone listing W&L as their definitive top choice. Are you looking at W&M as well? Do you have a unique perspective on the issue?

mwheatley

New

Post by mwheatley » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:48 pm

I am looking at both. I am from northern va, just outside of DC and plan on working and living close to the city. I want to have a small town law school experience. I also have some friends from Lexington and have visited a number of times. I would prefer Lexington to Williamsburg out of personal preference. I think that they are both fantastic schools and W&M does offer in state tuition.

Keep in mind I am saying this without knowing my LSAT score, in a couple weeks you might find me on the "Appalachian Applicants 2011" thread singing their praises...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”