George Mason 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
columbia86

Bronze

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Post by columbia86 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:47 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:Withdrew yesterday. Good luck to those still waiting.
+1

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:21 pm

Brendv7 wrote:Ill prob be going to the admitted students day on the 5th. Pretty curious to see scholarship information as it would certainly make my decision easier to make.
My wife and I will be there! :D

dizzynoise

New

Post by dizzynoise » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:31 am

received scholarship info in the mail today. anyone know how easy it is to negotiate with gmu?

Henchman21

New

Post by Henchman21 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:21 am

I don't know about negotiating with GMU about scholarships but when was the letter postmarked?

Also..

Amount?
Stats?

PM please if you don't feel like sharing publicly.

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:01 am

I got my scholarship info in the mail today....decent money, BUT A TOP 25% requirement. Yikes! That's steep!

But it also says it will be automatically renewed if you're in the top 25%...I wonder if they would renew it due to other considerations. This is definitely worth a call on Monday.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:18 am

How much are the schollys they've been sending out this week?

Henchman21

New

Post by Henchman21 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:48 am

I'm about 90% decided on attending.

gummy19vp

New

Post by gummy19vp » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:54 pm

Talked to admissions office first round of scholarship information was sent out on wednesday second round not until after seat deposits

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:21 pm

zonto wrote:How much are the schollys they've been sending out this week?
I received one for $15k for the first year, with $12k in 2L and 3L if I remain in the top quarter of the class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sabenser

Bronze

Post by sabenser » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:27 pm

Henchman21 wrote:I don't know about negotiating with GMU about scholarships but when was the letter postmarked?

Also..

Amount?
Stats?

PM please if you don't feel like sharing publicly.
8k. 25% stip. 165/3.6. Letter was dated and postmarked 23 Feb

renee88

Bronze

Post by renee88 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:43 am

I also received 8,000 with the top 25% requirement. I received the letter on Friday or Saturday (somehow forgot to check the mail Friday!)

0Lgunner

New

Post by 0Lgunner » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:21 pm

anybody know accurate employment stats for Mason? This was just recently posted on Above the Law:

--LinkRemoved--

eaglemuncher

Bronze

Post by eaglemuncher » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:27 pm

if we didn't get $ last week, does that mean it is not coming at all?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:25 pm

0Lgunner wrote:anybody know accurate employment stats for Mason? This was just recently posted on Above the Law:

--LinkRemoved--
At the Admitted Student Day on Saturday, the Career Services office shared the following stats for 2010 grads:

Private Practice - 40%
Clerking - 9%
Government - 21%
Business - 20%
Public Interest/Academia - 10%

National stats for 2010 grads weren't available yet, but looking at national trends in the past, they have fewer going into private practice and more going into government than the national averages the last couple of years. Whether that's a function of self-selecting students or the school's placement strengths wasn't readily apparent to me.

They also admitted that there are a couple of students who have yet to find a job. Oh, and they said that a fair amount are working one or more part time jobs (20-30, IIRC), too.

Henchman21

New

Post by Henchman21 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:26 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:
0Lgunner wrote:anybody know accurate employment stats for Mason? This was just recently posted on Above the Law:

--LinkRemoved--
At the Admitted Student Day on Saturday, the Career Services office shared the following stats for 2010 grads:

Private Practice - 40%
Clerking - 9%
Government - 21%
Business - 20%

National stats for 2010 grads weren't available yet, but looking at national trends in the past, they have fewer going into private practice and more going into government than the national averages the last couple of years. Whether that's a function of self-selecting students or the school's placement strengths wasn't readily apparent to me.

They also admitted that there are a couple of students who have yet to find a job. Oh, and they said that a fair amount are working one or more part time jobs (20-30, IIRC), too.

Thanks for the infor.
What was the overall atmosphere like?

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:02 pm

Henchman21 wrote:
LS-boundNYC wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Private Practice - 40%
Clerking - 9%
Government - 21%
Business - 20%

Thanks for the infor.
I liked the atmosphere. The guy giving my tour was pretty hilarious and didn't really spare any "cynicism." I liked that he was honest about some of the school's shortcoming. But from him and from other students I talked to, I really did get the impression that it's a close, tight community of students. Of course, it'll be competitive in school, but they said it's never been adversarial. I like that.

TNFSkier16

Bronze

Post by TNFSkier16 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:45 am

Anyone else get deferred from Early Decision and heard back yet? The letter said I would hear sometime in March.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mfinn

New

Post by mfinn » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:38 am

in via phone call yesterday!

Underground404

New

Post by Underground404 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:42 pm

Congratulations mfinn!!!
LS-boundNYC wrote:
Henchman21 wrote:
LS-boundNYC wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Private Practice - 40%
Clerking - 9%
Government - 21%
Business - 20%

Thanks for the infor.
I liked the atmosphere. The guy giving my tour was pretty hilarious and didn't really spare any "cynicism." I liked that he was honest about some of the school's shortcoming. But from him and from other students I talked to, I really did get the impression that it's a close, tight community of students. Of course, it'll be competitive in school, but they said it's never been adversarial. I like that.
I completely agree with LS-Bound on the atmosphere and wanted to add in my own experience. I didn't go to ASW (I'll likely be going April 9th), but I did visit the school in early February and got the impression that it really is a tight community. Additionally, the director of Diversity Services came out and talked to me and several other students. It wasn't planned at all, but she took at least 20 minutes of her time to talk about the school, the job market, what to expect, etc. Following the tour and class sit-in, a 1L took 30 minutes to sit down and talk to me about why he chose George Mason and what he thought about his experience after a semester of classes. Again, I didn't expect anything like this to happen, but a 1L just went out of his way to answer all of my questions. Perhaps my experience is somewhat unique, but from my perspective it speaks volumes about the type of students that are accepted by the school and subsquently enroll at George Mason. Everyone was very friendly, kind, and down-to-earth.

If anyone is interested in my experience or my conversation with the 1L at George Mason, send me a PM!

Komaliie

New

Post by Komaliie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:50 pm

mfinn wrote:in via phone call yesterday!
I called the admissions office & they said they have started mailing the letters
All 3 decisions accept/reject/WL will be mailed

MTKennedy

New

Post by MTKennedy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:13 pm

Waitlisted today via snail mail after initially being held from ED.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Henchman21

New

Post by Henchman21 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:51 am

So who's sending in their deposit?

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:08 am

I haven't gotten scholarship info yet but was accepted in January... does that mean I'm not getting anything?

Henchman21

New

Post by Henchman21 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:12 am

kjadkins wrote:I haven't gotten scholarship info yet but was accepted in January... does that mean I'm not getting anything?
All the initial scholarships have been sent out. You might have to wait till after deposits are due.

Underground404

New

Post by Underground404 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:16 am

kjadkins wrote:I haven't gotten scholarship info yet but was accepted in January... does that mean I'm not getting anything?
I would assume that you're not getting anything. I was admitted in early January and have heard nothing about scholarships either. Maybe some money will surface, but I would proceed as if you're not going to get any type of scholarship.

As far as I know, George Mason isn't known for giving out large chunks of scholarship money, because their tuition is (relatively speaking) a bit lower than other peer schools.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”