George Mason 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:20 pm

kjadkins wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:In via phone today.

Applied - 11/19
Complete - 11/29
Accepted - 12/16

171/3.4x

Kind of kills the thoery all these 166-168 people have that they are getting YP'd.


Unless laststraw wrote a Why X maybe? Who knows. I feel like this is all such a crapshoot.


I did indeed write a Why GMU.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:22 pm

In today via phone call.161/3.88.

Complete on 11/29/10.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitol A » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:22 pm

kjadkins wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:In via phone today.

Applied - 11/19
Complete - 11/29
Accepted - 12/16

171/3.4x

Kind of kills the thoery all these 166-168 people have that they are getting YP'd.


Unless laststraw wrote a Why X maybe? Who knows. I feel like this is all such a crapshoot.

It IS definitely a crapshoot. It's hard, no, impossible to know exactly what will get you in, out, or WL at a given school. That was kind of the point of my previous post.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitol A » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:24 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:In today via phone call.161/3.88.

Complete on 11/29/10.

huge congrats.

DrVictorFreeze
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 am

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby DrVictorFreeze » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:17 pm

So I received a phone message today from Bianca Dean of Diversity. I was busy so i did not check my messages until after their offices closed. Im assuming this was to inform me of my admission. However I havent received an email. What does everyone think: admitted or something else?

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13303
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby JenDarby » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:23 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
kjadkins wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:In via phone today.

Applied - 11/19
Complete - 11/29
Accepted - 12/16

171/3.4x

Kind of kills the thoery all these 166-168 people have that they are getting YP'd.


Unless laststraw wrote a Why X maybe? Who knows. I feel like this is all such a crapshoot.


I did indeed write a Why GMU.



This makes sense. I mean, it's impossible that they just didn't like me, because I am extremely likeable..... :wink:

congrats everyone who GMU does like!

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby ksimon2007 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Woke up to a voicemail offering admission. A nice surprise. Did not expect to hear from them just yet, but i did get a little Holiday card on Wednesday
Last edited by ksimon2007 on Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kjadkins
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:49 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby kjadkins » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:25 pm

DrVictorFreeze wrote:So I received a phone message today from Bianca Dean of Diversity. I was busy so i did not check my messages until after their offices closed. Im assuming this was to inform me of my admission. However I havent received an email. What does everyone think: admitted or something else?


How long ago did you submit? One admissions office called me a week and a half after I submitted to let me know my app was complete and to see if I had any questions. But as far as I know GMU isn't known to do this. But if it's an admit it seems a bit odd that it's the Dean of Diversity, not the Dean of Admissions. Who knows.

dreakol
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby dreakol » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:00 pm

My theory on YP (especially for GM):

the reason why people are getting WL'd from GM with numbers above their medians is, obviously, they think you will not attend. In addition, your numbers are not great enough for them to entice you with a scholarship into attending. That is why a buch of 167-169 people are getting WL'd. Your numbers are great, but not great enough to get enough $$$ for you to actually attend. This could also explain why 170+ applicants are getting in. Their numbers warrant the risk of offering big $ even though they still might not attend.

What do y'all think?

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13303
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby JenDarby » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:04 pm

dreakol wrote:My theory on YP (especially for GM):

the reason why people are getting WL'd from GM with numbers above their medians is, obviously, they think you will not attend. In addition, your numbers are not great enough for them to entice you with a scholarship into attending. That is why a buch of 167-169 people are getting WL'd. Your numbers are great, but not great enough to get enough $$$ for you to actually attend. This could also explain why 170+ applicants are getting in. Their numbers warrant the risk of offering big $ even though they still might not attend.

What do y'all think?


I think somewhere back in this thread there was a discussion about George Mason having very little money in endowments and such to offer much in the means of scholarships (which is when I realized I would probably get rejected/wouldn't attend). LSN seems to support that concept, with only a couple people reporting receiving money in the past few years.

Other than ^ I think that's fair reasoning.

User avatar
stewie27
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:46 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby stewie27 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:13 pm

I think GMU was also one of the applications that asked for other schools you applied to. Maybe I'm wrong about that and thinking of a different app. But, I would imagine that the other schools listed might have an effect on who gets waitlisted.

User avatar
LSATmakesMeNeurotic
Posts: 941
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:24 pm

In today. 3.59/164 no "why GM statement."

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:34 pm

stewie27 wrote:I think GMU was also one of the applications that asked for other schools you applied to. Maybe I'm wrong about that and thinking of a different app. But, I would imagine that the other schools listed might have an effect on who gets waitlisted.


Yeah I listed some peer schools, so that might have been my mistake. :(

dreakol
Posts: 572
Joined: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby dreakol » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:15 pm

It is official. WL'd w/ 3.67 169.

oh wellz. I dont think ill send in the forms to be put on their WL.

FWIW I did not write a why GM essay or tailor my application in anyway.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby 3|ink » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:21 am

dreakol wrote:It is official. WL'd w/ 3.67 169.

oh wellz. I dont think ill send in the forms to be put on their WL.

FWIW I did not write a why GM essay or tailor my application in anyway.


Almost certain that's a YP. Don't sweat it. It just means the rest of us would have to work too hard to keep up with you.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby 3|ink » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:23 am

JenDarby wrote:
This makes sense. I mean, it's impossible that they just didn't like me, because I am extremely likeable..... :wink:

congrats everyone who GMU does like!


You definitely got YPed. Stop thinking about it. It just means you're better than the rest of us slobs.

User avatar
YankeesFan
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby YankeesFan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:25 am

Mason is turning out to be just as bad as American with their YP.

User avatar
OrdinarilySkilled
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:22 am

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:35 am

GMU plays the admissions game like anyone else. They are trying to protect their status above American which you can't really blame them for because there is so much competition in DC.
It seems like if it is really unlikely that you will attend, they WL you. Is there anybody that thinks they were YPed that is distraught because mason was their #1? Probably not.
I was accepted with numbers above both 75ths because I have a few compelling reasons for attending that are clear from my app.
Also, if you were WLed and really want to go there, write a LOCI and let them know and I bet you will be let in.

Edit: Oops only above 1 75th
Last edited by OrdinarilySkilled on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby 3|ink » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:46 am

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:GMU plays the admissions game like anyone else. They are trying to protect their status above American which you can't really blame them for because there is so much competition in DC.
It seems like if it is really unlikely that you will attend, they WL you. Is there anybody that thinks they were YPed that is distraught because mason was their #1? Probably not.
I was accepted with numbers above both 75ths because I have a few compelling reasons for attending that are clear from my app.
Also, if you were WLed and really want to go there, write a LOCI and let them know and I bet you will be let in.


Precisely.

User avatar
jetergrl2ss
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby jetergrl2ss » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:19 am

My status checker changed today and I haven't received a call or email yet. Does this mean a WL or ding? Thanks.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby 3|ink » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:22 am

jetergrl2ss wrote:My status checker changed today and I haven't received a call or email yet. Does this mean a WL or ding? Thanks.


No. It means it's 9:22 am George Mason time and they have only been open for 20 minutes.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:48 am

3|ink wrote:
jetergrl2ss wrote:My status checker changed today and I haven't received a call or email yet. Does this mean a WL or ding? Thanks.


No. It means it's 9:22 am George Mason time and they have only been open for 20 minutes.


FYI - the poster posted yesterday. So jetergrl, did your status change yesterday then and there was no phone call or email? What did the status change to?

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby 3|ink » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:12 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
3|ink wrote:
jetergrl2ss wrote:My status checker changed today and I haven't received a call or email yet. Does this mean a WL or ding? Thanks.


No. It means it's 9:22 am George Mason time and they have only been open for 20 minutes.


FYI - the poster posted yesterday. So jetergrl, did your status change yesterday then and there was no phone call or email? What did the status change to?


Oh yeah. I just saw 'Friday'. Didn't check the time.

With her stats, I would be very surprised with a ding or a WL.

User avatar
jetergrl2ss
Posts: 175
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby jetergrl2ss » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:34 am

I'm not sure when it changed. I looked yesterday late in the evening because people had posted about changed statuses. It probably changed before I realized because I have that little blurb about "A decision has been reached...." at the top of my status checker. For those who got in, it seems like they got admitted same day? Can someone correct me if this is wrong?

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:02 pm

jetergrl2ss wrote:I'm not sure when it changed. I looked yesterday late in the evening because people had posted about changed statuses. It probably changed before I realized because I have that little blurb about "A decision has been reached...." at the top of my status checker. For those who got in, it seems like they got admitted same day? Can someone correct me if this is wrong?


Hmm...my status never changed at all. In fact, it is still completely blank. The only thing that is on there is a status date of 11/29/10.

These status checkers aren't very reliable.

EDIT: Now it is completely blank with no status date at all.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”