George Mason 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
3|ink

Platinum

Re: George Mason 2011 Applicants

Post by 3|ink » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:06 pm

HeavenWood wrote: I called Dean Price (anonymously), and she said that GMU's scholarship budget is so low, if she feels an applicant will likely not attend, she waitlists them. If she's "sure" they won't attend, she rejects them. I have to give her a lot of credit though, she was very candid and did offer to set up a time with me to go over my application to tell me why I was rejected.
What determines a scholarship budget? Is it endowments? Is it usual for a state school to have a lower scholarship budget than the norm?

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:10 pm

Oh, I have "decision rendered" on my status checker. It's written at the top instead of being down in one of the boxes next to "application status:". My checker is pretty much empty. I've been just looking down in the boxes for something instead of reading the top, so I have no idea when it started saying a decision has been rendered.

But the fact that I don't have an e mail or phone call... :(

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:11 pm

androstan wrote:Oh, I have "decision rendered" on my status checker. It's written at the top instead of being down in one of the boxes next to "application status:". My checker is pretty much empty. I've been just looking down in the boxes for something instead of reading the top, so I have no idea when it started saying a decision has been rendered.

+100000000000000000 what gives GMU!?!?!?!

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:11 pm

androstan wrote:Oh, I have "decision rendered" on my status checker. It's written at the top instead of being down in one of the boxes next to "application status:". My checker is pretty much empty. I've been just looking down in the boxes for something instead of reading the top, so I have no idea when it started saying a decision has been rendered.

I think the decision status was updated for everyone this morning. The phone call/email comes later. I wouldn't lose hope yet.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:12 pm

Henchman21 wrote: Hurricane!!!! I read your post, checked my e-mail, and FREAKED out when I saw an e-mail from George Mason. LOL
Acccepted via E-MAIL, no phone call.
In via email as well.

3.1/163.

I'll probably withdraw though. I have to see the financial aid stuff first though and that wont happen until next year.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ndbrenner

New

Post by ndbrenner » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:17 pm

gdane5 wrote:
Henchman21 wrote: Hurricane!!!! I read your post, checked my e-mail, and FREAKED out when I saw an e-mail from George Mason. LOL
Acccepted via E-MAIL, no phone call.
In via email as well.

3.1/163.

I'll probably withdraw though. I have to see the financial aid stuff first though and that wont happen until next year.

Good luck to everyone still waiting.
Was it a personalized e-mail also?

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:18 pm

3|ink wrote:
HeavenWood wrote: I called Dean Price (anonymously), and she said that GMU's scholarship budget is so low, if she feels an applicant will likely not attend, she waitlists them. If she's "sure" they won't attend, she rejects them. I have to give her a lot of credit though, she was very candid and did offer to set up a time with me to go over my application to tell me why I was rejected.
What determines a scholarship budget? Is it endowments? Is it usual for a state school to have a lower scholarship budget than the norm?
A lot of endowment is invested, then overall budget is effected at least as much by the performance of investments as it is by total endowment (which is probably indirectly effected by performance of investments as well). While the market has picked up over the last year, this year's budget is effected more by last year's investment performance (at least this is the way it works in the non-profit company that I work for).

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:19 pm

Capitol A wrote:
3|ink wrote:
A lot of endowment is invested, then overall budget is effected at least as much by the performance of investments as it is by total endowment (which is probably indirectly effected by performance of investments as well). While the market has picked up over the last year, this year's budget is effected more by last year's investment performance (at least this is the way it works in the non-profit company that I work for).
Bottom line: if you're above both 75th percentiles, answer question #15 (To what other law schools have you applied or do you intend to apply?) at your own peril. Your answers will be held against you.

Congratulations to everyone accepted, and good luck to everyone else waiting!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:20 pm

ndbrenner wrote: Was it a personalized e-mail also?
I dont what people mean by personalized, but it referred to me by my name and used present tense adverbs.

I feel really iffy toward this acceptance though. Still great to have one in the bag.

Good luck to everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zrcm18

New

Post by zrcm18 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:21 pm

my Application only says complete, no decision rendered :/ and Ive been complete since 11/11......guess I should be expecting a ding...

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:22 pm

Capitol A wrote:
3|ink wrote:
Good call. I just wasn't sure the money came from endowment and whatever interest they accrue from it. I work for a non-profit entity as well. We went from 2.1 billion in assets to 1.35 in 2008.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:25 pm

3|ink wrote:
Capitol A wrote:
3|ink wrote:
Good call. I just wasn't sure the money came from endowment and whatever interest they accrue from it. I work for a non-profit entity as well. We went from 2.1 billion in assets to 1.35 in 2008.
Right; and the budget for 2011 may be up again, but they can't start spending the money they have made this year just yet. Not to mention the fact that a lot this year's investment earnings are likely going to be needed to cover unforseen budget shortfalls, because when your business is operated this way a lot of your budgeting is done on speculation.

Flett

Bronze

Post by Flett » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:26 pm

zrcm18 wrote:my Application only says complete, no decision rendered :/ and Ive been complete since 11/11......guess I should be expecting a ding...
Mine says the same, but I'm still hopeful. Similar numbers to a few of the people who just got accepted today +URM status, so maybe they just haven't gotten to us yet. *Crosses fingers and hopes*

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:31 pm

Ha! Accepted just now via phone call.

Now I have the GMU/American eternal debate.

GentlemanJim

Bronze

Post by GentlemanJim » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:39 pm

In via snailmail.

3.3/165

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:47 pm

androstan wrote:Ha! Accepted just now via phone call.

Grats!

I don't understand why anyone would debate this. Even if you disregard the minor rank difference, GMU (22k) is almost half the cost of American(41k).

Median salary isn't a good indicator of a school's potential IMO. A better school is more likely to get you those highly competitive (but lower paying) clerk positions. Also, a lot of Mason students probably end up practicing in western Virginia where the cost of living is low while American students are more likely to practice in Maryland and DC. Maryland has 5 counties that are among the 20 richest in the USA. I think VA has two (Fairfax and Arlington).

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:51 pm

3|ink wrote:
androstan wrote:Ha! Accepted just now via phone call.

Grats!

I don't understand why anyone would debate this. Even if you disregard the minor rank difference, GMU (22k) is almost half the cost of American(41k).

Median salary isn't a good indicator of a school's potential IMO. A better school is more likely to get you those highly competitive (but lower paying) clerk positions. Also, a lot of Mason students probably end up practicing in western Virginia where the cost of living is low while American students are more likely to practice in Maryland and DC. Maryland has 5 counties that are among the 20 richest in the USA. I think VA has two (Fairfax and Arlington).
I'm not a VA resident so the difference is 36k vs. 40k... 12k total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kjadkins

Silver

Post by kjadkins » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:52 pm

Now I'm starting to regret putting down where else I applied. I'm screwed if Mason YPs that much and I don't get in to any of my reach schools or anything. I'm not, like, WAY above their medians or anything, but if they think that I think I'm overqualified they might just ding me anyway. Unless URM might help protect me from YP? Who knows. This whole process is such a crapshoot.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:54 pm

androstan wrote: I'm not a VA resident so the difference is 36k vs. 40k... 12k total.
I may be reading this wrong, but I think GM will only cost 22k in tuition for out-of-staters. http://www.law.gmu.edu/financing
They display the cost of living in the area, but tuition alone is 22k.

American tuition is $40,584 before living expenses. http://www.top-law-schools.com/american ... y-law.html
when combined with room& board and other expenses, the total cost of attendance for the 09-10 year comes in at $62,791.

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:56 pm

3|ink wrote:
androstan wrote: I'm not a VA resident so the difference is 36k vs. 40k... 12k total.
I may be reading this wrong, but I think GM will only cost 22k in tuition for out-of-staters. http://www.law.gmu.edu/financing
They tack on additional costs for living expenses and the like, but tuition alone is 22k.

American tuition is $40,584 before living expenses. http://www.top-law-schools.com/american ... y-law.html
when combined with room& board and other expenses, the total cost of attendance for the 09-10 year comes in at $62,791.
You are reading this wrong. Annual FT out-of-state tuition for GMU is $36,278,00.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:57 pm

androstan wrote:
3|ink wrote:
They tack on additional costs for living expenses and the like, but tuition alone is 22k.

You are reading this wrong. Annual FT out-of-state tuition for GMU is $36,278,00.
My bad. Read too quickly :)

Wow. I'm getting a better deal for in-state than I realized.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:00 pm

3|ink wrote:
androstan wrote:
3|ink wrote:

My bad. Read too quickly :)

Wow. I'm getting a better deal for in-state than I realized.
If I were a VA resident this would be a no-brainer. It will also be a no-brainer if I get into GWU. I'm a MD resident unfortunately and UMD doesn't have much in the way of IP.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:01 pm

androstan wrote: If I were a VA resident this would be a no-brainer. It will also be a no-brainer if I get into GWU. I'm a MD resident unfortunately and UMD doesn't have much in the way of IP.
GL on your GW application. I would have applied there, but every predictor out there said my numbers were too low. It's definitely a fine school.

YankeesFan

Silver

Post by YankeesFan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:04 pm

Im complete as of 11/11 too and no movement on my status. I think they just havent gotten to us yet.

onepass

Bronze

Post by onepass » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:14 pm

I've been complete since 11/23. Did I see people who went complete in late November get decisions already?

And damn, I did fill out the question asking where else I was applying. I can't remember what I put. Usually, I attempt a fine range of schools, with the school I'm applying to being somewhere in the middle of that range. Don't want to make them think they are the ultimate reach but can't have them thinking they are the safety either.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”