UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
denniscrane
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby denniscrane » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:33 pm

bluemanblueman wrote:I also moved to under review today. Hopefully this is good.


nice. didnt check yesterday and did today and saw the change. encouraging. pulling for anyone who's been waiting like me.

bluemanblueman
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby bluemanblueman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:35 pm

denniscrane wrote:
bluemanblueman wrote:I also moved to under review today. Hopefully this is good.


nice. didnt check yesterday and did today and saw the change. encouraging. pulling for anyone who's been waiting like me.

+1

LEPinBOS
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby LEPinBOS » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:35 pm

I'd buy all you regulars a beer if I could right now. With our numbers, at least a few of us should get in on the next round. If we're all "ready for review," then that should mean the apocalyptic drinking doesn't need to happen quite yet. Good luck, everyone.

borntorun86
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby borntorun86 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:54 pm

LEPinBOS wrote:I'd buy all you regulars a beer if I could right now. With our numbers, at least a few of us should get in on the next round. If we're all "ready for review," then that should mean the apocalyptic drinking doesn't need to happen quite yet. Good luck, everyone.


Tomorrow's St. Patrick's Day. I thought apocalyptic drinking was mandated?

borntorun86
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby borntorun86 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:12 pm

Here's an interesting tidbit: decisions for grad school at Carolina this year are running a month or so behind schedule due to the new "Connect Carolina" system in place. Could explain the slower-than-usual-even-for-UNC process this cycle.

Not that it makes anyone here feel better.

User avatar
byronmullens
Posts: 79
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby byronmullens » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:16 pm

borntorun86 wrote:Here's an interesting tidbit: decisions for grad school at Carolina this year are running a month or so behind schedule due to the new "Connect Carolina" system in place. Could explain the slower-than-usual-even-for-UNC process this cycle.

Not that it makes anyone here feel better.

With the tourney starting I don't see the process speeding up either.

beccabea
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby beccabea » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:20 pm

.
Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LEPinBOS
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby LEPinBOS » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:27 pm

beccabea wrote:FWIW, I was notified that a status checker existed (I guess that's like a status change?) and was accepted 24 hours later.


http://www.qwizx.com/gssfx/usa/tpirhorns.wav
















Hopefully I don't have to keep pulling that one out.

adt231
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby adt231 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:40 pm

beccabea wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:It's just someone 5+ years out of undergrad (white or black it doesn't matter), usually with work experience. Usually the non-traditionals we see on here are white or asian, b/c if they are not, they identify as a URM and not as non-trads.


Asian isn't an underrepresented minority? According to US News they make up 3.1% of the student body at Carolina. That seems pretty underrepresented to me.


FWIW, this makes about as much sense as saying: "Caucasians only make up 6.2% of the student body at Howard University School of Law. That seems pretty underrepresented to me."

beccabea
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby beccabea » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:41 pm

.
Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beccabea
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby beccabea » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:51 pm

.
Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:01 pm

beccabea wrote:
adt231 wrote:
beccabea wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:It's just someone 5+ years out of undergrad (white or black it doesn't matter), usually with work experience. Usually the non-traditionals we see on here are white or asian, b/c if they are not, they identify as a URM and not as non-trads.


Asian isn't an underrepresented minority? According to US News they make up 3.1% of the student body at Carolina. That seems pretty underrepresented to me.


FWIW, this makes about as much sense as saying: "Caucasians only make up 6.2% of the student body at Howard University School of Law. That seems pretty underrepresented to me."


Okay, except that a URM is by definition "a minority group whose percentage of the population at a given law school is lower than their percentage of the population in the country" (http://www.top-law-schools.com/urm-applicant-faq.html). 4.5% of the US population is Asian, and 3.1 < 4.5. Coincidentally, the percentage of white people in the US is higher than 6.5, so actually yes, white = URM at Howard.


Becca, URM's are groups that are underrepresented in the legal profession, not necessarily at a particular school. So, no, a white person at Howard would not be a URM. Also, Asian-Americans and Indian-Americans are not considered URM's because a large proportion of individuals in this group are highly educated therefore, probably overrepresented in the legal profession. The same cannot be said for blacks and hispanics.

As for your statistics, you can't only use UNC's numbers to try and understand the URM Boost. URM boost exists on a larger scale, because certain groups are underrepresented in the legal profession, meaning that throughout the years they have been underrepresented at ALL law schools. Asians do make up 4.5 of the US Population, however, they make up over 8 percent of TOTAL law school students. Therefore, not underrepresented, actually overrepresented.

I understand what you were trying to say, but the URM boost doesn't exist law school to law school, it exists in the law school admissions system as a whole, as part of affirmative action.

adt231
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby adt231 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:03 pm

beccabea wrote:
adt231 wrote:
beccabea wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:It's just someone 5+ years out of undergrad (white or black it doesn't matter), usually with work experience. Usually the non-traditionals we see on here are white or asian, b/c if they are not, they identify as a URM and not as non-trads.


Asian isn't an underrepresented minority? According to US News they make up 3.1% of the student body at Carolina. That seems pretty underrepresented to me.


FWIW, this makes about as much sense as saying: "Caucasians only make up 6.2% of the student body at Howard University School of Law. That seems pretty underrepresented to me."


Okay, except that a URM is by definition "a minority group whose percentage of the population at a given law school is lower than their percentage of the population in the country" (http://www.top-law-schools.com/urm-applicant-faq.html). 4.5% of the US population is Asian, and 3.1 < 4.5. Coincidentally, the percentage of white people in the US is higher than 6.5, so actually yes, white = URM at Howard.



Fair enough, but isn't that an unacceptable consequence of your application of the term "URM"? I didn't think that being white is compatible with being a URM in the US since being a URM entails that you should get a boost in your admissions profile. This won't happen if you apply to Howard as a caucasian or am I wrong about this?

Also, if you use the general population as your benchmark for determining URMs, then either all latinos are not URMs or all of them are (based on their particular latino heritage).

User avatar
East Coast Law
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:41 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby East Coast Law » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:05 pm

Still ready for review- out of state above both medians

adt231
Posts: 241
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby adt231 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:12 pm

Sorry for highjacking the thread on an irrelevant tangent.

Good luck to those still waiting on UNC! It's a great school in a wonderful little spot in NC.

denniscrane
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby denniscrane » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:35 pm

beccabea wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:
beccabea wrote:FWIW, I was notified that a status checker existed (I guess that's like a status change?) and was accepted 24 hours later.


http://www.qwizx.com/gssfx/usa/tpirhorns.wav

Hopefully I don't have to keep pulling that one out.


Sorry. :\ That's only one anecdotal piece of evidence that doesn't necessarily predict anything. Didn't we decide (and get an email about the fact that) status checkers don't mean anything? I'm just glad to see some signs of life in that little ol office.


From what i have read on this thread there seems to be evidence that status checkers do not always update in real time. Still, why do you think they don't mean anything? That sounds like strong language, considering they do in fact change. It's safe to assume that the changes aren't arbitrary, even if they don't represent every step of the process. However, I havent received an email that addresses this, and it sounds like you did. Congrats on your auto-acceptance, that's ballin.

denniscrane
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:45 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby denniscrane » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:41 pm

East Coast Law wrote:Still ready for review- out of state above both medians


good luck... thanks for staying relevant

beccabea
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby beccabea » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:36 pm

.
Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:59 am

DubPoker wrote:
borntorun86 wrote:Today is the beginning of the best 3-4 weeks of the year, and it starts at 6:40 tonight when my alma mater takes on Arkansas-Little Rock in Dayton. Yeah, I'm pretty much letting admissions people know who I am (They're smart people, they could probably figure it out anyways). Don't really care. I may be a Tar Heel, but today belongs to UNC Asheville. Go Bulldogs!


Yeah, I may support the Tarheels but if UNCW ever makes the tournament again, I would have to show them the love


I know this is back from four pages but I've been meaning to ask you if that's what the "dub" in your name meant.... :D

User avatar
DubPoker
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DubPoker » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:07 am

DeeCee wrote:I know this is back from four pages but I've been meaning to ask you if that's what the "dub" in your name meant.... :D


Its actually from UNCW, we call it UNC Dub, we call Wilmington Dubtown. Like how people refer to George W. Bush as George Dubya or just dubya.

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:08 am

DubPoker wrote:
DeeCee wrote:I know this is back from four pages but I've been meaning to ask you if that's what the "dub" in your name meant.... :D


Its actually from UNCW, we call it UNC Dub, we call Wilmington Dubtown. Like how people refer to George W. Bush as George Dubya or just dubya.


:D

GodFavor2010
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:34 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby GodFavor2010 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:17 am

Has anyone else been at application complete, ready for review for over 2 months? What does the such update exactly mean in law school admission talk?

Thanks!

LEPinBOS
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby LEPinBOS » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:31 am

GodFavor2010 wrote:Has anyone else been at application complete, ready for review for over 2 months? What does the such update exactly mean in law school admission talk?

Thanks!



I'll see your 2 months and raise you 4 more months. The "ready for review" tag means precisely this

User avatar
DubPoker
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DubPoker » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:39 am

Yeah I've been ready for review since January.

When it comes to "law school admission talk" it seems every school gets to decide the status titles for the status checker. Some schools say "in review" others "under review" some don't have a "ready for review" they just go from complete to in review.

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby jdemmitt » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:45 am

Ready for review since 12/15. The wait is killing me.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], call-me-bubbles, Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], hip to be Square and 9 guests