UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
innernetp

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby innernetp » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:15 pm

beccabea wrote:
innernetp wrote:--ImageRemoved--

I am going to have a heart attack

Why? Is burning house symbolic or.. is that somewhere we know? I'm confused

Haha, it's a play on words. Barns on fire... Barnes is on fire. Not to beat the dead horse with Carolina basketball but I might be late for a flight because I'm watching this game.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:42 pm

we won against Clemson! Yessss

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:00 pm

WOW. Harrison Barnes. WOW.

I don't know what else to say...

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:10 pm

As far as everyone's comments about ASD-- it's not that I want him to tag along for the whole day's itinerary or that we need to be glued to each other for the day. I'm pretty independent, and I'm sure he doesn't want to follow me around for the day! However, in an email from UNC, I remember them saying that they'd have an info session about apartments and all that, and I would like him to be there for that type of thing. When we move to CH, we'll be focusing on starting our professional lives there, so we need to have info about apartments and around town info.

But, logistically I'm not sure how far hotels are from the school that would make it easy for him to meet me on campus later in the day. I know parking at UNC is crap, and I'm not sure that there are hotels or anything within walking distance. I haven't been to CH in two years so I'm a little fuzzy.

Oh and FYI-- I love eating at Top of the Hill! Everyone should check out that place sometime.

f*** UVa

Postby f*** UVa » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:35 pm

DeeCee wrote:As far as everyone's comments about ASD-- it's not that I want him to tag along for the whole day's itinerary or that we need to be glued to each other for the day. I'm pretty independent, and I'm sure he doesn't want to follow me around for the day! However, in an email from UNC, I remember them saying that they'd have an info session about apartments and all that, and I would like him to be there for that type of thing. When we move to CH, we'll be focusing on starting our professional lives there, so we need to have info about apartments and around town info.

But, logistically I'm not sure how far hotels are from the school that would make it easy for him to meet me on campus later in the day. I know parking at UNC is crap, and I'm not sure that there are hotels or anything within walking distance. I haven't been to CH in two years so I'm a little fuzzy.

Oh and FYI-- I love eating at Top of the Hill! Everyone should check out that place sometime.

Depends on how much you want to pay for a room. The Carolina Inn is on campus but is $$$$, same with Franklin Hotel, close but $$$. Next closest is the Siena, not convenient walking distance and also $$$. Less expensive but decent lodging is out 15-501 towards the I40 or in Durham.

Parking is not bad on the weekend in spring and there is visitor parking on campus as well as public parking on Franklin St near campus.

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:50 pm

Your best bet for a hotel (unless you're a-fluuuush with caaaash) is the Aloft on 54 next to 15-501. You're a short bus ride/walk up the hill from the law school and it's reasonably priced. Also has a late-night "safe ride" bus on weekends so you can hit franklin st. and get home safe without taxiing it.

Oh, and like it needs to be said:

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:57 pm

DeeCee wrote:As far as everyone's comments about ASD-- it's not that I want him to tag along for the whole day's itinerary or that we need to be glued to each other for the day. I'm pretty independent, and I'm sure he doesn't want to follow me around for the day! However, in an email from UNC, I remember them saying that they'd have an info session about apartments and all that, and I would like him to be there for that type of thing. When we move to CH, we'll be focusing on starting our professional lives there, so we need to have info about apartments and around town info.

Go to the sheraton, with the UNC deal, its 91 a night, which isn't that bad. They also have a free shuttle to and from Franklin Street. And yes, Top of the Hill is phenomenal.

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:38 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:Oh and FYI-- I love eating at Top of the Hill! Everyone should check out that place sometime.

And yes, Top of the Hill is phenomenal.

I'm going to be the proverbial turd in the punchbowl and say that Topo, while a nice bar, is far from your best bet in Chapel Hill. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I've never watched a UNC victory there. I greatly prefer Crunkleton, Bob's, Goodfellows, Spanky's, etc to Topo, especially for basketball games.

But the best place to watch basketball on Franklin St. isn't even a bar. It's IP3, home to perhaps the best pizza in the state.

fish tacos

Postby fish tacos » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:38 pm

IP3's for pizza and soccer. Topo for basketball (projection screen ftw). Four Corners for NFL football. Goodfellows for a dive bar. Topo for a sophisticated beer. East End if you're gay. Bob's for day drinking and late summer nights. La Res if you're an athlete/jersey chaser/18-year-old with your first fake. Although there are plenty of options and lots of great places I left out, this should sum most of it up.

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:13 pm

fish tacos wrote:IP3's for pizza and soccer. Topo for basketball (projection screen ftw). Four Corners for NFL football. Goodfellows for a dive bar. Topo for a sophisticated beer. East End if you're gay. Bob's for day drinking and late summer nights. La Res if you're an athlete/jersey chaser/18-year-old with your first fake. Although there are plenty of options and lots of great places I left out, this should sum most of it up.

On the money. I just avoid Topo because I have bad luck there with Carolina Basketball. Otherwise a good place to pregame for the dean dome and/or college basketball in general.

I'd add: Curnkleton for sophisticated booze/cocktails. Station for hipster dancing. Local 506/Cats Cradle for kickass live music. Milltown for absolutely nothing (they have a good beer selection but make up for it with shitty service, the worst in town). West End Wine Bar or the Lantern bar for a first date. Deep End for Quarter Beer/Country night on Tuesday.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:23 pm

borntorun86 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:Oh and FYI-- I love eating at Top of the Hill! Everyone should check out that place sometime.

I'm going to be the proverbial turd in the punchbowl and say that Topo, while a nice bar, is far from your best bet in Chapel Hill. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I've never watched a UNC victory there. I greatly prefer Crunkleton, Bob's, Goodfellows, Spanky's, etc to Topo, especially for basketball games.

But the best place to watch basketball on Franklin St. isn't even a bar. It's IP3, home to perhaps the best pizza in the state.

+1. Always underwhelmed with the food at Topo. I live a block away from IP3. Their Sunday/Tuesday night pitcher+pie deal is where it's at. I like watching games at Linda's... football at Kildare's.

pattonthicke

Postby pattonthicke » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:28 pm

innernetp wrote:
borntorun86 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:

+1. Always underwhelmed with the food at Topo. I live a block away from IP3. Their Sunday/Tuesday night pitcher+pie deal is where it's at. I like watching games at Linda's... football at Kildare's.

Why does everyone like this place. This place blows. Also, this may have been answered previously, but does anyone know if UNC gives travel stipends.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:40 pm

Which place? I admit IP3s' pizza isn't gourmet, but I am a cheap college student and I love it.

If you're referring to Linda's, their food IS awful. But I love the people there for games.

And Kildare's... I'm actually pleasantly surprised by their food though of course it is pub grub. Last time I went there I nearly punched someone because Guiness was six bucks. Forgot about that.

Maybe you were referring to Topo, though. :-)

fish tacos

Postby fish tacos » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:04 pm

See the bolded...

And venturing a guess, people think the food at Topo is "phenomenal" when they've only spent one weekend in Chapel Hill. The salad was typical banquet fare and the pasta dish was just a scaled-down version of their Arizona chicken entree (had to downplay the spiciness when catering for a big crowd). The cheesecake was pretty good though.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:58 pm

Well now that everyone's bashed one of my fave place sI'll move on.... there's also this great sushi place where they put the sushi out on a belt thing and the belt brings the sushi to you. Sushi is on color coded plates and is extremely cheap! Can't remember the name of the place though, it's somewhere near or on franklin near the school.

Sry if there's typos I'm responding on my phone....

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:31 am

Not bashing topo at all! A great place to hang out and watch basketball. I'm just superstitious about watching my Tarheels (especially this year) and therefore refuse to watch a carolina game there due to my abysmal record (0-4) with Carolina games at Topo. But the view from the deck on a nice spring day cannot be beat at all. Also the best place to people watch on Halloween (great view of franklin st).

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:56 am

Is anyone going to the April 15th ASW? I might have to actually go to that one b/c the only day I can go to ND is the 8th. I definitely don't want to go to the whack ASW for UNC though.

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:11 am

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:56 pm

borntorun86 wrote:Image

Awesome pic, borntorun. The Heels have go to get off to a good start against the Devils today.

Go Falcon. Go Butter. Go LMac. Go Dex. Go Z. Go Big John. Go Fort Knox. Go JWatts.....Oh yeah, GO TO HELL DOOK!

LETS GET THIS W!!!

DubPoker

Postby DubPoker » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:37 pm

:(

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:07 pm

Well that sucked.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:07 pm

Yeah it's alright, Harrison Barnes was off. He is a beast, but he settles for too many jumpers. He needs to get to the hoop and draw fouls. It'll be a different story come tourney time.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:46 pm

That really was a disappointing performance by the Heels this afternoon. Hopefully, they'll get a #2 seed and play in Charlotte for the first two rounds.

Looking at the glass half full, maybe this loss today will reenergize the fellas and get them focused to play in the tournament that really matters...

GO HEELS!...Oh yeah, and Dook can still go straight to hell. :twisted:

alexb

Postby alexb » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:26 pm

Not even in review yet :(. Do you guys think there is any chance I can get a decision in <30 days, before I commit to another school? Should I call them and let them know that I can only wait for 30 more days?

zonto

Postby zonto » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:27 pm

Maybe you should wait until those 30 days are almost up. Plenty of us are still waiting for decisions...
Last edited by zonto on Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”