UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LEPinBOS

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby LEPinBOS » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:49 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Do you want me to withdraw so you can get my spot at UNC?

No. I think there are still seats available. No need to take yours.

I was just messing around.

Me too. But seriously, I have no clue if ND would match UNC's offer. No clue what ND's placement is like. No clue if there are really open seats at UNC.

cay10789

Postby cay10789 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:59 pm

How long does it take for your residency status to be determined? I'm applying from in-state. I got access to the status checker online only 3 days ago. Not sure if residency is determined by the law school or a separate body. If by a separate body, maybe they're not operating during spring break?

LEPinBOS

Postby LEPinBOS » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:11 pm

My application date to the date I was complete (and deemed a resident) was a three-week span.

ZFB

Postby ZFB » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:11 pm

cay10789 wrote:How long does it take for your residency status to be determined? I'm applying from in-state. I got access to the status checker online only 3 days ago. Not sure if residency is determined by the law school or a separate body. If by a separate body, maybe they're not operating during spring break?

I think it was just over a week for me. Also in-state.

BTW, HOLY CRAP!!! UNC just won having never led while there was time on the clock. The ball went in after the buzzer for the win, but they NEVER led until then. There are a few random people screaming on Franklin St.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:33 pm

ZFB wrote:
cay10789 wrote:How long does it take for your residency status to be determined? I'm applying from in-state. I got access to the status checker online only 3 days ago. Not sure if residency is determined by the law school or a separate body. If by a separate body, maybe they're not operating during spring break?

I think it was just over a week for me. Also in-state.

BTW, HOLY CRAP!!! UNC just won having never led while there was time on the clock. The ball went in after the buzzer for the win, but they NEVER led until then. There are a few random people screaming on Franklin St.

I <3 Franklin Street.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:04 pm

Despite my busy day, of acceptances and schollys to other schools. I still feel like UNC is my number 1.

PDL

Postby PDL » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:10 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LEPinBOS

Postby LEPinBOS » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:18 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:Despite my busy day, of acceptances and schollys to other schools. I still feel like UNC is my number 1.

After my busy day of clicking refresh on the status checker and this page, I need a drink.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:25 pm

LEPinBOS wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Despite my busy day, of acceptances and schollys to other schools. I still feel like UNC is my number 1.

After my busy day of clicking refresh on the status checker and this page, I need a drink.

SoCo and Ginger Ale.

LEPinBOS

Postby LEPinBOS » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:27 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:

SoCo and Ginger Ale.

Early Times in a pint glass.

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:50 pm

I was driving back home from DC today listening to the game, swearing, and waiving my arms furiously. I think people around me thought I was deranged. They might be right.

trayball23

Postby trayball23 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:02 pm

does any1 love the word schollys as much as i do

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:18 pm

The waiting... it is the bane of my existence. I knew I should have included sexy pictures in my application.

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:25 pm

jdemmitt wrote:The waiting... it is the bane of my existence. I knew I should have included sexy pictures in my application.

I think that would have doomed my application, not because of poor taste but because I'm not bubble-worthy enough to pull that off.

Speaking of which....

http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/article/2009/09/law_student_keeps_it_classy_in_playboy

Law student keeps it ‘classy’ in Playboy
By Andrew Harrell | The Daily Tar Heel
Updated: 09/18/09 1:23am

Most students show their UNC pride by donning Carolina blue clothing. Stephanie Christine shows hers by not wearing much at all.

For the month of October, she’s partially naked on page 53 in Playboy as UNC’s representative for the magazine’s “Girls of the ACC” feature.

The feature appears in the latest issue, which hit the back row of magazine stands Friday. Other cover stories include “Vampire love” and “Meet the real pirates of Somalia.”

Christine, who earned the spot in a trial photo shoot last March, said she first learned about the try-outs from Playboy’s Web page.

“I always keep my eye open for local casting calls, specifically for Playboy,” she said.

Christine tried out for Playboy once before in her home state of Ohio. She said she first became interested in modeling a few years ago, working as a waitress and bartender at a Hooters restaurant.

“I saw all the things my colleagues were doing, and I wanted to be a part of that,” she said.

She’s turned that interest into modeling work with publications like Hooters Magazine and MMA Sports, a magazine dedicated to mixed martial arts. Christine also recently became a member of the International Bikini Team, which includes two other girls from North Carolina. The group’s slogan is “classy not trashy.”

Thanks in part to that experience, Christine said she wasn’t nervous when she arrived at Playboy’s offices for her first nude shoot.

“They really treated me like a princess from the time I got there to the time I left,” she said. “Everyone made sure my needs were attended to.”

The staff for her shoot included a videographer, photographer and assistant, and a hair and make up team. An equipment supervisor also acted as a personal disc jockey, playing Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynard and Britney Spears during the shoot.

Christine said she hopes to continue modeling, turning this opportunity into more work.

“The modeling industry is basically about making contacts and making good relationships, getting your name out and networking,” she said.

But for the long-term, she understands there can be a short shelf life for many models and Playmates.

Once her modeling career ends, Christine said she hopes to have a law degree to fall back on. She’s enrolled in the School of Law as Stephanie Haney, and is currently a third-year student, said Kathleen Bowler, assistant dean for communications for the law school.

“It’s really so personal and subjective,” Christine said of a decision to stop modeling. “I’m just waiting to see what opportunities present themselves. Whichever is best at the time,” Christine said.

Christine is the 17th UNC student to be featured in a Playboy pictorial. The last was Evelyn Gery, a psychology major who appeared on the magazine’s cover in 2004.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:43 pm

trayball23 wrote:does any1 love the word schollys as much as i do

It's a fucking phenomenal word. I try to incorporate it into daily life frequently.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:46 pm

borntorun86 wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:The waiting... it is the bane of my existence. I knew I should have included sexy pictures in my application.

I think that would have doomed my application, not because of poor taste but because I'm not bubble-worthy enough to pull that off.

Speaking of which....

http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/article/2009/09/law_student_keeps_it_classy_in_playboy

Law student keeps it ‘classy’ in Playboy
By Andrew Harrell | The Daily Tar Heel
Updated: 09/18/09 1:23am

Most students show their UNC pride by donning Carolina blue clothing. Stephanie Christine shows hers by not wearing much at all.

For the month of October, she’s partially naked on page 53 in Playboy as UNC’s representative for the magazine’s “Girls of the ACC” feature.

The feature appears in the latest issue, which hit the back row of magazine stands Friday. Other cover stories include “Vampire love” and “Meet the real pirates of Somalia.”

Christine, who earned the spot in a trial photo shoot last March, said she first learned about the try-outs from Playboy’s Web page.

“I always keep my eye open for local casting calls, specifically for Playboy,” she said.

Christine tried out for Playboy once before in her home state of Ohio. She said she first became interested in modeling a few years ago, working as a waitress and bartender at a Hooters restaurant.

“I saw all the things my colleagues were doing, and I wanted to be a part of that,” she said.

She’s turned that interest into modeling work with publications like Hooters Magazine and MMA Sports, a magazine dedicated to mixed martial arts. Christine also recently became a member of the International Bikini Team, which includes two other girls from North Carolina. The group’s slogan is “classy not trashy.”

Thanks in part to that experience, Christine said she wasn’t nervous when she arrived at Playboy’s offices for her first nude shoot.

“They really treated me like a princess from the time I got there to the time I left,” she said. “Everyone made sure my needs were attended to.”

The staff for her shoot included a videographer, photographer and assistant, and a hair and make up team. An equipment supervisor also acted as a personal disc jockey, playing Aerosmith, Lynyrd Skynard and Britney Spears during the shoot.

Christine said she hopes to continue modeling, turning this opportunity into more work.

“The modeling industry is basically about making contacts and making good relationships, getting your name out and networking,” she said.

But for the long-term, she understands there can be a short shelf life for many models and Playmates.

Once her modeling career ends, Christine said she hopes to have a law degree to fall back on. She’s enrolled in the School of Law as Stephanie Haney, and is currently a third-year student, said Kathleen Bowler, assistant dean for communications for the law school.

“It’s really so personal and subjective,” Christine said of a decision to stop modeling. “I’m just waiting to see what opportunities present themselves. Whichever is best at the time,” Christine said.

Christine is the 17th UNC student to be featured in a Playboy pictorial. The last was Evelyn Gery, a psychology major who appeared on the magazine’s cover in 2004.

Just checked out the pics. She looks pretty good. Not a big blonde guy though.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:36 pm

Did anyone recieve an email a day or two ago saying that scholarship info would be sent out in the next 10 days? I know it's a general email but I'm holding out for any aid possible.

Also, just found out I didn't get the PIPS full scholly from American, which isn't a major shock, but I was holding out a little hope that I might get to attend a school for super cheap. Anyway, now I've decided I'll definitely be attending UNC!

Still haven't decided what ASD I'll be attending. Anyone know what ASDs are like, and if it is appropriate for a SO to attend? My BF is trying to decide whether he should attend, because if he does we've got to find a dog boarding place, and we've never boarded our dogs before so I'm nervous about it.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:32 pm

DeeCee wrote:Still haven't decided what ASD I'll be attending. Anyone know what ASDs are like, and if it is appropriate for a SO to attend? My BF is trying to decide whether he should attend, because if he does we've got to find a dog boarding place, and we've never boarded our dogs before so I'm nervous about it.
I can't speak to UNC's ASDs, but I have been to several others so far this cycle. My fiancee has come with me to them, but we quickly realized that the biggest thing for her was to see the area in general, not necessarily the generic stuff at the law school. Most schools basically only put on things for the students themselves, or at least stuff that I can't imagine anyone else would really be interested in (i.e., mock/real classes, tours, discussion panels, etc.). When there are happy hours at the end of the day she comes to them, because it's a good mingling opportunity and, let's face it, it's free booze. Some people do bring their SO for everything, some for only the first or last part of the day. Personally, I would say bring your boyfriend to see Chapel Hill, where work/school possibilities might be for him if he is moving with you, etc.

Hoping to get into UNC eventually so that I can plan for a visit. As a NC resident I do recommend really checking out Chapel Hill fully, it is well worth it.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:07 am

DeeCee wrote:Did anyone recieve an email a day or two ago saying that scholarship info would be sent out in the next 10 days? I know it's a general email but I'm holding out for any aid possible.

Also, just found out I didn't get the PIPS full scholly from American, which isn't a major shock, but I was holding out a little hope that I might get to attend a school for super cheap. Anyway, now I've decided I'll definitely be attending UNC!

Still haven't decided what ASD I'll be attending. Anyone know what ASDs are like, and if it is appropriate for a SO to attend? My BF is trying to decide whether he should attend, because if he does we've got to find a dog boarding place, and we've never boarded our dogs before so I'm nervous about it.

Got that email. Also it said the people who weren't getting scholly $$ would also be informed within the next 10 days.

The next 10 days will decide whether I am at CU or in Chapel Hill with you guys!

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:21 am

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:11 am

beccabea wrote:
DeeCee wrote: Still haven't decided what ASD I'll be attending. Anyone know what ASDs are like, and if it is appropriate for a SO to attend? My BF is trying to decide whether he should attend, because if he does we've got to find a dog boarding place, and we've never boarded our dogs before so I'm nervous about it.

One girl brought hers for the Chancellor's Scholars weekend, and he sat in on all the info sessions and came to the interviews the next morning, and it was very slightly awkward because he was the only one, not to mention the poor guy was probably bored to tears. I'd say it'd be fine for him to come, but he'd probably want to walk around Franklin St or something while you're doing lawyerly stuff.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm coming to the April 8th ASD, so whoever's going to be meeting up for drinks or whatever, I want in. :]

Also#2, you know, I've only visited one other law school so far, one of the ones that's supposed to have nicer facilities, but I think I like UNC's not-as-celebrated building better. It's cozier and more endearing. Not that it matters a lot, but I just thought I'd put that out there since UNC's facilities tend to get ragged on a little.

My girlfriend came to Chancellor Scholar's weekend, mostly for moral support, she came to the lunch, but then she went back to the hotel for the rest of the day (hence why becca didn't know she was there), til we went out at night. For ASW she is staying home. I love my girlfriend, but ASW is for me to meet my potential classmates and friends for the next 3 years, I think it's better if significant others aren't there.

DeeCee I'm sure your bf is a great guy, but I wouldn't bring him to ASW, unless he wants to chill in the hotel for the school events and just come out at night, when we all go drinking. Don't be like that girl and guy at Chancellors' Weekend who were canoodling at the info session.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:14 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
beccabea wrote:
DeeCee wrote: Still haven't decided what ASD I'll be attending. Anyone know what ASDs are like, and if it is appropriate for a SO to attend? My BF is trying to decide whether he should attend, because if he does we've got to find a dog boarding place, and we've never boarded our dogs before so I'm nervous about it.

One girl brought hers for the Chancellor's Scholars weekend, and he sat in on all the info sessions and came to the interviews the next morning, and it was very slightly awkward because he was the only one, not to mention the poor guy was probably bored to tears. I'd say it'd be fine for him to come, but he'd probably want to walk around Franklin St or something while you're doing lawyerly stuff.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm coming to the April 8th ASD, so whoever's going to be meeting up for drinks or whatever, I want in. :]

Also#2, you know, I've only visited one other law school so far, one of the ones that's supposed to have nicer facilities, but I think I like UNC's not-as-celebrated building better. It's cozier and more endearing. Not that it matters a lot, but I just thought I'd put that out there since UNC's facilities tend to get ragged on a little.

My girlfriend came to Chancellor Scholar's weekend, mostly for moral support, she came to the lunch, but then she went back to the hotel for the rest of the day (hence why becca didn't know she was there), til we went out at night. For ASW she is staying home. I love my girlfriend, but ASW is for me to meet my potential classmates and friends for the next 3 years, I think it's better if significant others aren't there.

DeeCee I'm sure your bf is a great guy, but I wouldn't bring him to ASW, unless he wants to chill in the hotel for the school events and just come out at night, when we all go drinking. Don't be like that girl and guy at Chancellors' Weekend who were canoodling at the info session.

If you all are from a different area and very serious I think it'd be pretty important for your SO to come. Especially if you'll be going into debt over the school. They don't necessarily need to come to all the events, but if they'll possibly be relocating there I'd say it's something to do.

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:00 pm

innernetp wrote:If you all are from a different area and very serious I think it'd be pretty important for your SO to come. Especially if you'll be going into debt over the school. They don't necessarily need to come to all the events, but if they'll possibly be relocating there I'd say it's something to do.
^This is my line of reasoning. I'm an older student as well, so I know the investment of having my fiancee see some of the school and meet some of my potential classmates (while getting drinks, not at the events themselves) will pay off immensely while we are living together during my law school career. I want her to generally know and like the type of people I might be spending an inordinate amount of time with during the next few years. That being said, I can't really agree with Supra that you shouldn't bring your BF because you will be meeting future classmates/friends.

Besides, you won't even know how many of the people present will actually be attending in the fall and you will be placed in a section outside of your control for your 1L year (read: your world basically).

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:46 pm

--ImageRemoved--

I am going to have a heart attack

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:00 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”