UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fuzzman
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby fuzzman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:05 pm

Why does everyone think it's funny to refer to us jerseyans as if we're from "joyze"? The people who pronounce it that way are from Long Island, just like the people from the show Jersey Shore. Anyway, hopefully decisions come soon

borntorun86
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby borntorun86 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:17 pm

This is like waiting for Christmas except that you might get coal in your stocking and you don't know when Santa will show up.

In other news, black falcon = acc roy, Roy = acc coy!

(edit) btw, thanks for the tip!!!

User avatar
haoledugan
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby haoledugan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:39 pm

fuzzman wrote:Why does everyone think it's funny to refer to us jerseyans as if we're from "joyze"? The people who pronounce it that way are from Long Island, just like the people from the show Jersey Shore. Anyway, hopefully decisions come soon


Didn't mean to offend :wink: I just thought it was kinda funny that someone from the north said the word "ya'll".

User avatar
Capitalist
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitalist » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:48 pm

Which team do you guys prefer for the quarterfinal matchup on Friday: UVA or the U?

Personally, I'm hoping for the Wahoos. Even though the UVA game was close, it was the first conference game, and I think we can all agree the Tar Heel team that beatdown that group from Durham last Saturday is much better than they were in January. I think Miami matches up very well with us (athletic, quick guards, big post men, etc.), but if the Heels continue the way they've been playing, I think both teams (UVA and UM) would be in serious trouble.

borntorun86
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby borntorun86 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:00 am

Virginia, for a few reasons:

1) Miami doesn't belong in the ACC. Nothing like the legacy of Dwayne 'the Rock" Johnson to cement your football team's legacy from the 80's.
2) I like Tony Bennett. Classy dude, great backup for the Hornets in the early 90's.
3) As a Tar Heel, it's always nice to show the (insert profanity here) from C-ville who's boss. Seriously, UVA fans might be as annoying as Duke fans. Certainly the preppiest student body in the ACC.

User avatar
Capitalist
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitalist » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:12 am

borntorun86 wrote:Virginia, for a few reasons:

1) Miami doesn't belong in the ACC. Nothing like the legacy of Dwayne 'the Rock" Johnson to cement your football team's legacy from the 80's.
2) I like Tony Bennett. Classy dude, great backup for the Hornets in the early 90's.
3) As a Tar Heel, it's always nice to show the (insert profanity here) from C-ville who's boss. Seriously, UVA fans might be as annoying as Duke fans. Certainly the preppiest student body in the ACC.


1) Haha..."Know your role, and SHUT your mouth!"
2) I agree about Bennett, seems like a solid guy, damn good coach too.
3) Being the "preppiest" is certainly better than being the "douchiest"(Duke) JMHO :D .

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:21 am

Capitalist wrote:3) Being the "preppiest" is certainly better than being the "douchiest"(Duke) JMHO :D .


+1, :lol:. I'm such a Duke hater I applied to UNC and UVA, but not Duke because if just didn't feel right. When I told my family I was thinking of applying (they're huge UNC basketball fans) they told me I should set my sights on "better" schools, like UNC and Georgetown :lol: :lol: .

It's not like I had the LSAT to get in Duke, though, which also had a lot to do with my decision...

Go Heels!!

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:53 am

DeeCee wrote:
Capitalist wrote:3) Being the "preppiest" is certainly better than being the "douchiest"(Duke) JMHO :D .


+1, :lol:. I'm such a Duke hater I applied to UNC and UVA, but not Duke because if just didn't feel right. When I told my family I was thinking of applying (they're huge UNC basketball fans) they told me I should set my sights on "better" schools, like UNC and Georgetown :lol: :lol: .

It's not like I had the LSAT to get in Duke, though, which also had a lot to do with my decision...

Go Heels!!


I have become a UNC fan ever since it became my most likely option for LS. I am from NYC, so I'm just a hardcore Knicks fan, we don't have great college basketball in NY. Although, St. John's is awesome this year.

User avatar
Capitalist
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitalist » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:10 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
Capitalist wrote:3) Being the "preppiest" is certainly better than being the "douchiest"(Duke) JMHO :D .


+1, :lol:. I'm such a Duke hater I applied to UNC and UVA, but not Duke because if just didn't feel right. When I told my family I was thinking of applying (they're huge UNC basketball fans) they told me I should set my sights on "better" schools, like UNC and Georgetown :lol: :lol: .

It's not like I had the LSAT to get in Duke, though, which also had a lot to do with my decision...

Go Heels!!


I have become a UNC fan ever since it became my most likely option for LS. I am from NYC, so I'm just a hardcore Knicks fan, we don't have great college basketball in NY. Although, St. John's is awesome this year.


Yeah, the Johnnies(sp?) are having a solid year. Lavin has really done a great job, and he has locked down a solid recruiting class for next year.

SupraVln, if you do end up in Chapel Hill, your passion for college basketball will increase exponentially, and you will learn to really, really dislike our neighbors 8 miles down the road.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:15 am

Capitalist wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
Capitalist wrote:3) Being the "preppiest" is certainly better than being the "douchiest"(Duke) JMHO :D .


+1, :lol:. I'm such a Duke hater I applied to UNC and UVA, but not Duke because if just didn't feel right. When I told my family I was thinking of applying (they're huge UNC basketball fans) they told me I should set my sights on "better" schools, like UNC and Georgetown :lol: :lol: .

It's not like I had the LSAT to get in Duke, though, which also had a lot to do with my decision...

Go Heels!!


I have become a UNC fan ever since it became my most likely option for LS. I am from NYC, so I'm just a hardcore Knicks fan, we don't have great college basketball in NY. Although, St. John's is awesome this year.


Yeah, the Johnnies(sp?) are having a solid year. Lavin has really done a great job, and he has locked down a solid recruiting class for next year.

SupraVln, if you do end up in Chapel Hill, your passion for college basketball will increase exponentially, and you will learn to really, really dislike our neighbors 8 miles down the road.



Yeah, I'm really into sports, my high school had an excellent sports program, I actually won a state championship my junior year in basketball, but my undergrad didn't have a good sports program so I never got into it. Going to a school with the tradition in sports that UNC has, should be really fun. I got a taste of it during Chancellors' weekend and I loved it.

User avatar
scruffs mcguff
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby scruffs mcguff » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:56 am

I'd rather see UVa because the thugs from the U have a better chance of injuring one of our guys. But honestly, I know Coach Williams couldn't care less about the ACC "cocktail party" as he called it. Let's just get a win tomorrow.

fuzzman
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby fuzzman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:08 pm

haoledugan wrote:
fuzzman wrote:Why does everyone think it's funny to refer to us jerseyans as if we're from "joyze"? The people who pronounce it that way are from Long Island, just like the people from the show Jersey Shore. Anyway, hopefully decisions come soon


Didn't mean to offend :wink: I just thought it was kinda funny that someone from the north said the word "ya'll".

I wasn't offended, I was just wondering where that comes from lol. And the reason jersey people say y'all when we go to nc is because we love nc soo much that we try as hard as we can to become part of it lol

User avatar
Capitalist
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitalist » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:27 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:I'd rather see UVa because the thugs from the U have a better chance of injuring one of our guys. But honestly, I know Coach Williams couldn't care less about the ACC "cocktail party" as he called it. Let's just get a win tomorrow.


I hope Ol' Roy takes the conference tourney a little bit more serious this year. In 05 and 09 the Heels had a #1 seed locked up, but if the Heels can win three straight this week and Notre Dame doesn't win the Big East, then I like our chances for the fourth #1 seed (playing our first two games in Charlotte too).

GO HEELS!

User avatar
scruffs mcguff
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby scruffs mcguff » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:42 pm

We'll be in Charlotte regardless. Of course you never want to lose, I'm just not gonna freak out if we don't.

User avatar
Capitalist
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitalist » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:52 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:We'll be in Charlotte regardless. Of course you never want to lose, I'm just not gonna freak out if we don't.


If we lose to Duke in the finals, and they get a #1 seed with BYU or San Diego State as their #2, which likely gives them another easy road to the Final Four...then I might freak out. :wink:

In all seriousness, I think this team is on a collision course with Duke on Sunday, with the winner getting the final #1 seed. But I digress, one game at a time. Let's win tomorrow.

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby jdemmitt » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:20 pm

Capitalist wrote:
scruffs mcguff wrote:We'll be in Charlotte regardless. Of course you never want to lose, I'm just not gonna freak out if we don't.


If we lose to Duke in the finals, and they get a #1 seed with BYU or San Diego State as their #2, which likely gives them another easy road to the Final Four...then I might freak out. :wink:

In all seriousness, I think this team is on a collision course with Duke on Sunday, with the winner getting the final #1 seed. But I digress, one game at a time. Let's win tomorrow.



Jimmer fredette doesn't get seeded, he seeds you. Byu number one.

IBThatGuy
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:44 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby IBThatGuy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:27 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
dddhhh wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:I really loved UNC when I visited. But the big problem is my girlfriend is in NYC and I know it will be extremely difficult for me to get back to NYC. I do have ties in NYC with a pretty prominent lawyer who has ties to alot of firms, politics, etc. He said he can "put me with the right people" if I decide to go to UNC and come back to NYC every summer. I don't know what that means though. If the regionalness of schools werent an issue, this would be a no brainer.


How serious is your relationship & could you make it work long distance?


Yes, I could for 3 years easily, however, I cannot forever if I can't get a job in NY or NJ and yes, it's a very serious relationship


Don't be so certain you can make it work long-distance. I've done it. It certainly can be done (again, I've done it), but it's Hell on Earth.

I think location has to trump virtually everything else. Family and networking ties, in my view, ought to count for a lot. If you want to practice in New York, and the increased debt is the only way to do it, then that is, by far, the better move. Between attending Fordham and the personal connection you mention, you've got a real ticket/ UNC won't provide that. If you like NC, it's a no-brainer. You might be able to use the money at UNC to negotiate some money at Fordham.

Full disclosure: My relationship became a burning wreck - about 3.5 years after we moved in together.

Full disclosure: I, too, want your spot at UNC (no response yet).

gogamecocks
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby gogamecocks » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:00 pm

jdemmitt wrote:
Jimmer fredette doesn't get seeded, he seeds you. Byu number one.


But only after marriage, or else he'll get kicked off the team.

/brandon davies'd

UNC2012
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby UNC2012 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:34 pm

Hi All, I'm gearing up for next year's cycle and still learning a lot about the process. As you can see from my Screen name, this process is all about getting into UNC for me. I am jealous of those of you who are going next year!

I took the LSAT in December and scored a 163. My GPA is a 3.54, and it might go up a small bit after this semester. I am not a "URM," but I'm not convinced that really helps people anyways. As an in-state resident with those numbers, how would you characterize my chances if I apply early?

I would post this in the general "What Are My Chances" forum, but I'm really only concerned with UNC at this point. I figured the posters here would be most appropriate to ask. I ask now because I'm willing to take the test again in June, but I really do not want to risk dropping below UNC's average score. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

User avatar
DubPoker
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DubPoker » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:06 pm

UNC2012 wrote:I am not a "URM," but I'm not convinced that really helps people anyways.


??? do you use quotes like its a magical nonexistant myth. "URMs" "" ""

User avatar
DubPoker
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DubPoker » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:10 pm

While am still curious about my post above, I will say that your numbers are very competitive.

I say In.

User avatar
jdemmitt
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:52 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby jdemmitt » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:13 pm

gogamecocks wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:
Jimmer fredette doesn't get seeded, he seeds you. Byu number one.


But only after marriage, or else he'll get kicked off the team.

/brandon davies'd

Lol. I can't fight that. High five!

PDL
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby PDL » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:16 pm

.
Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

UNC2012
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby UNC2012 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:44 pm

DubPoker wrote:
UNC2012 wrote:I am not a "URM," but I'm not convinced that really helps people anyways.


??? do you use quotes like its a magical nonexistant myth. "URMs" "" ""



Nervous first-timer, I guess? I'm not really sure what a URM is, so I put it in quotes. Do you think the quotes should have been nonexistant? :)

PDL, I'm at Charlotte.

beccabea
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby beccabea » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:01 pm

.
Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ad34964n, Anon.y.mousse., Aquinas, carlos_danger, champagnepapi, chandhi, Chipotle85, danid83, ellielaw, genjustice, Google Adsense [Bot], mosunny, Nickel94, pandaaa, renc56, Rosa Parks, Why??? and 55 guests