UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby kwais » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:41 pm

I have always liked Chapel Hill and was pretty excited about applying a few months ago, but this is getting ridiculous. I have not heard one positive thing about UNC since I started this process. For them to not so much as update my status this close to seat deposits is silly. I met an admissions officer at an event and she went on and on about how carefully they select their class and how important their extra essays are. I think they have a slightly bloated picture of their program and how this process works.

sorry for the rant. good luck to all those waiting.

beccabea
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby beccabea » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:58 pm

.
Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
scruffs mcguff
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:17 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:Since the ASW e-mail's just went out, what ASW's are you guys attending? I'm leaning towards the 8th, but I am really not sure how crazy my schedule is going to be, so I'm still up in the air.


I'll be at the one on the 8th. I live in Chapel Hill so I would be down for any extra-curricular activities during the weekend for anyone staying longer than just the event.

Sorry to hear that becca. You could always wait until after the 8th to decide on whether to go for the 15th or not and see what people report back (especially from Supra who was also at the Chancellor's day) unless that's impossible with work/school/whatever.

NCbeachbum
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby NCbeachbum » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:34 pm

I have been watching this forum for several months and decided to join to share some information I have been given. Everyone needs to put on his/her big boy/girl pants and be patient. The 6500 (yep, you read that correctly) applications were distributed to the reviewers last week. If the admissions department truly evaluates every application as they say they do, then we may be in for more waiting. I know personally I am wearing out the status checker!

User avatar
Moral_Midgetry
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:42 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:I'll be at the one on the 8th. I live in Chapel Hill so I would be down for any extra-curricular activities during the weekend for anyone staying longer than just the event.


I'll be there the weekend of the 8th. Count me in for a meet up.

User avatar
DubPoker
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DubPoker » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:01 pm

NCbeachbum wrote:I have been watching this forum for several months and decided to join to share some information I have been given. Everyone needs to put on his/her big boy/girl pants and be patient. The 6500 (yep, you read that correctly) applications were distributed to the reviewers last week. If the admissions department truly evaluates every application as they say they do, then we may be in for more waiting. I know personally I am wearing out the status checker!


Lawschoolnumbers has the class of 2009 at 3581 applications... (am I missing something here?) and current Official ABA data has 2,905 applicants (--LinkRemoved--)

Thats not actually what I want to respond to. I hope admissions takes their time. UNC is a great school. The UNC SoL admissions gets bashed because they take longer than peer schools to respond. Maybe their admissions is understaffed, maybe they look at applications more closely. Either way they take longer than comparably ranked schools and this equates to more stress on the applicants.

User avatar
Moral_Midgetry
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:07 pm

DubPoker wrote:
NCbeachbum wrote:I have been watching this forum for several months and decided to join to share some information I have been given. Everyone needs to put on his/her big boy/girl pants and be patient. The 6500 (yep, you read that correctly) applications were distributed to the reviewers last week. If the admissions department truly evaluates every application as they say they do, then we may be in for more waiting. I know personally I am wearing out the status checker!


Lawschoolnumbers has the class of 2009 at 3581 applications... (am I missing something here?) and current Official ABA data has 2,905 applicants (--LinkRemoved--)

Thats not actually what I want to respond to. I hope admissions takes their time. UNC is a great school. The UNC SoL admissions gets bashed because they take longer than peer schools to respond. Maybe their admissions is understaffed, maybe they look at applications more closely. Either way they take longer than comparably ranked schools and this equates to more stress on the applicants.


6500 seems to be an awful lot since last year's incoming class only had about 3100.

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby TheFactor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:13 pm

I echo the growing frustration ITT. I don't want to give too many details about my app, but I submitted in October, have been UR since December and was told I may not receive a decision until May 1st. UNC is one of my top choices, but if I don't get a decision (along with financial aid/scholarship info) before seat deposit deadlines I'll probably have to withdraw. It's a little bit ridiculous IMO that some applicants will likely be forced to pay seat deposits at other schools if they want to wait on a decision from UNC.

End rant. :D

PM for numbers/residency status if you'd like.

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby TheFactor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:14 pm

NCbeachbum wrote:I have been watching this forum for several months and decided to join to share some information I have been given. Everyone needs to put on his/her big boy/girl pants and be patient. The 6500 (yep, you read that correctly) applications were distributed to the reviewers last week. If the admissions department truly evaluates every application as they say they do, then we may be in for more waiting. I know personally I am wearing out the status checker!

This is wrong. I spoke with admissions a couple days ago. They are reviewing approx. 3500 apps this cycle.

LEPinBOS
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby LEPinBOS » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:28 pm

and these 6,500 applications just forwarded to the adcom would be on top of the (at least) couple hundred offers they've already made? so nearly 7,000 applications? wouldn't LSN indicate, if even slightly, a doubling in the number of applications to a school?

my angst stems from the belief that there's another wave of acceptances coming within hours, days or a week. that belief is based on LSN trends from the previous few years. with that said, i know it's my problem, not the admissions office's. i'll share the angst with my TLS comrades, but i'm not calling to bother them.

i've said it before: i think unc admissions does a good job. sharing my nervousness on an internet message board dedicated to the discussion of law school admissions does not indicate the absence of big girl pants. i'm wearing the hell out of my big girl pants, actually.

6,500 applications? sheesh.

TheFactor
Posts: 789
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby TheFactor » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:33 pm

LEPinBOS wrote:6,500 applications? sheesh.

That figure is not accurate.

User avatar
smartblonde87
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby smartblonde87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:36 pm

tag

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:38 pm

beccabea wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Since the ASW e-mail's just went out, what ASW's are you guys attending? I'm leaning towards the 8th, but I am really not sure how crazy my schedule is going to be, so I'm still up in the air.


Do you think we should go to the ASWs too even after the Chancellor's weekends? It's an awfully long way to drive for me, but I'd hate to miss out on something good. Like finding a roommate, maybe, if that's plausible to do in the course of a weekend.


Well, I am going back down for two reasons.

1. I didn't get the full scholly, so I won't be hanging out with the Chancellors, so I want a chance to meet regular people that I will most likely be hanging out with during my time at UNC.

2. For Chancellors weekend I flew down b/c it was such short notice. I don't have the money to do that everytime I go to and from UNC. So I will be driving down a few days early (from NYC) and stopping in DC, taking in the sights, etc. It will be an 8 hour drive, but I only have class 2 days a week since I am ahead in my last semester so I really have nothing to do, I might as well. Any suggestions on places I should stop down the i95 corridor?


Also, I'm all about going out and partying after the ASW events. Last time, I was all business with my scholarship interview, etc. Now I can relax and actually enjoy my time in Chapel Hill. If anyone wants to grab a bottle after the ASW events, drink and hit up Franklin Street let me know, I'd be down 100%.

User avatar
haoledugan
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby haoledugan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:47 pm

I'm curious if anyone else has a status checker showing "complete, ready for review". I've had this since early december. Thanks!

User avatar
pokerlaw
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:33 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby pokerlaw » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:49 pm

haoledugan wrote:I'm curious if anyone else has a status checker showing "complete, ready for review". I've had this since early december. Thanks!


Some have had that for longer. You're not alone.

User avatar
innernetp
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby innernetp » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:50 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
beccabea wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Since the ASW e-mail's just went out, what ASW's are you guys attending? I'm leaning towards the 8th, but I am really not sure how crazy my schedule is going to be, so I'm still up in the air.


Do you think we should go to the ASWs too even after the Chancellor's weekends? It's an awfully long way to drive for me, but I'd hate to miss out on something good. Like finding a roommate, maybe, if that's plausible to do in the course of a weekend.


Well, I am going back down for two reasons.

1. I didn't get the full scholly, so I won't be hanging out with the Chancellors, so I want a chance to meet regular people that I will most likely be hanging out with during my time at UNC.

2. For Chancellors weekend I flew down b/c it was such short notice. I don't have the money to do that everytime I go to and from UNC. So I will be driving down a few days early (from NYC) and stopping in DC, taking in the sights, etc. It will be an 8 hour drive, but I only have class 2 days a week since I am ahead in my last semester so I really have nothing to do, I might as well. Any suggestions on places I should stop down the i95 corridor?


Also, I'm all about going out and partying after the ASW events. Last time, I was all business with my scholarship interview, etc. Now I can relax and actually enjoy my time in Chapel Hill. If anyone wants to grab a bottle after the ASW events, drink and hit up Franklin Street let me know, I'd be down 100%.


If I come to UNC I promise you I won't only hang out with other Chancellors! I'm not trying to only have a couple friends at the law school... and I have a similar scholarship at UNC for undergrad and though I have good feelings towards other people in my program none of my best friends are from there or even in the honors program. I want to be friends with errybody.

If you want to save some money I HIGHLY recommend couch surfing. I'm not sure if you've ever done it but it's such a wonderful way to get to know an area and it's beautifully free. My house is a hub and there are plenty of others around.

I am also always down to drink some drank though I think one of the ASWs falls right near my thesis defense...

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby zonto » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:50 pm

I can't even remember if I applied here anymore. :shock:

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:55 pm

innernetp wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
beccabea wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Since the ASW e-mail's just went out, what ASW's are you guys attending? I'm leaning towards the 8th, but I am really not sure how crazy my schedule is going to be, so I'm still up in the air.


Do you think we should go to the ASWs too even after the Chancellor's weekends? It's an awfully long way to drive for me, but I'd hate to miss out on something good. Like finding a roommate, maybe, if that's plausible to do in the course of a weekend.


Well, I am going back down for two reasons.

1. I didn't get the full scholly, so I won't be hanging out with the Chancellors, so I want a chance to meet regular people that I will most likely be hanging out with during my time at UNC.

2. For Chancellors weekend I flew down b/c it was such short notice. I don't have the money to do that everytime I go to and from UNC. So I will be driving down a few days early (from NYC) and stopping in DC, taking in the sights, etc. It will be an 8 hour drive, but I only have class 2 days a week since I am ahead in my last semester so I really have nothing to do, I might as well. Any suggestions on places I should stop down the i95 corridor?


Also, I'm all about going out and partying after the ASW events. Last time, I was all business with my scholarship interview, etc. Now I can relax and actually enjoy my time in Chapel Hill. If anyone wants to grab a bottle after the ASW events, drink and hit up Franklin Street let me know, I'd be down 100%.


If I come to UNC I promise you I won't only hang out with other Chancellors! I'm not trying to only have a couple friends at the law school... and I have a similar scholarship at UNC for undergrad and though I have good feelings towards other people in my program none of my best friends are from there or even in the honors program. I want to be friends with errybody.

If you want to save some money I HIGHLY recommend couch surfing. I'm not sure if you've ever done it but it's such a wonderful way to get to know an area and it's beautifully free. My house is a hub and there are plenty of others around.

I am also always down to drink some drank though I think one of the ASWs falls right near my thesis defense...


Very glad I finished my thesis last semester, I love not having to worry about school :)

User avatar
haoledugan
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby haoledugan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:17 pm

zonto wrote:I can't even remember if I applied here anymore. :shock:


+1

canam2011
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:43 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby canam2011 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:47 pm

UNC why don't you love us?

jerseygirl24
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:24 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby jerseygirl24 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:55 pm

LEPinBOS wrote:+1 I'm really hoping to avoid the waitlist at UNC. Just a rejection or an acceptance, ASAP, would take a lot of pressure off me. I know where I'm going if I don't get into UNC, and I know where I'm going if I do. I just want to know.

Anyone want to call to see if they're working this week? Jerseygirl, if you're over there, are the lights on in the admissions office?


Oh hello! Well, since you asked, I checked in with Admissions who are working very hard, even though it is spring break for students, and the official word is that the next batch of decisions should come about by the end of this week or Monday at the very latest.

Let me know if you have more questions! And good luck!

User avatar
Moral_Midgetry
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:04 pm

So the source has been identified.

LEPinBOS
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby LEPinBOS » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:17 pm

jerseygirl24 wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:+1 I'm really hoping to avoid the waitlist at UNC. Just a rejection or an acceptance, ASAP, would take a lot of pressure off me. I know where I'm going if I don't get into UNC, and I know where I'm going if I do. I just want to know.

Anyone want to call to see if they're working this week? Jerseygirl, if you're over there, are the lights on in the admissions office?


Oh hello! Well, since you asked, I checked in with Admissions who are working very hard, even though it is spring break for students, and the official word is that the next batch of decisions should come about by the end of this week or Monday at the very latest.

Let me know if you have more questions! And good luck!



thanks, jerseygirl! do a lot of 2Ls at UNC stay on campus for spring break? :wink: at any rate, thank you for connecting us with the admissions office.

unc admissions should start a twitter feed. the posts could be in line with everything jerseygirl has ever posted on here. we could cling to it for pithy updates like when the next round of offers might be coming out. boalt law does it, and it's great.

jerseygirl24
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:24 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby jerseygirl24 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:42 pm

LEPinBOS wrote: thanks, jerseygirl! do a lot of 2Ls at UNC stay on campus for spring break? :wink: at any rate, thank you for connecting us with the admissions office.

unc admissions should start a twitter feed. the posts could be in line with everything jerseygirl has ever posted on here. we could cling to it for pithy updates like when the next round of offers might be coming out. boalt law does it, and it's great.


Haha, no problem. Yes, I really am a 2L, but I do love the Admissions dept so I'll try to help y'all out when I can! I decided to stay in town and study like a good law student, but so far the most productive thing I've done is catch up on my netflix queue...

User avatar
haoledugan
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby haoledugan » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:21 pm

jerseygirl24 wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote: thanks, jerseygirl! do a lot of 2Ls at UNC stay on campus for spring break? :wink: at any rate, thank you for connecting us with the admissions office.

unc admissions should start a twitter feed. the posts could be in line with everything jerseygirl has ever posted on here. we could cling to it for pithy updates like when the next round of offers might be coming out. boalt law does it, and it's great.


Haha, no problem. Yes, I really am a 2L, but I do love the Admissions dept so I'll try to help y'all out when I can! I decided to stay in town and study like a good law student, but so far the most productive thing I've done is catch up on my netflix queue...


Did a girl from joyze just drop a "ya'll"?! lol. I also just wanted to say 'thanks' as well for the info!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests