UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Barbie

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Barbie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:35 am

haha last night I watched the UNC game with some family friends (all old UNC alum) and some friends of my husband's (both offensive linemen for Duke, here on springbreak).... hahahah

One of the oldest men wears his UNC ring and went up to the 6'7" HUGE guys and shoved it in their faces. Zing.

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:36 pm

Nothing like statistical analysis to put you back in reality...I'm on campus doing work with the windows open and a cool rain falling down to the ground.

We ended up phase four due to watching the UNC Asheville game (didn't matter, phase two and up were in the rafters anyways). Dean Dome was the loudest I've heard it in 2 years, always a good thing. You all saw the game, it was incredible. Hit Franklin St. afterward (my first time as a true Tar Heel) and finished up with a He's Not -> Time Out -> Cosmic marathon.

Why anyone would want to go to law school anywhere else is beyond me. Oh, also ran into two plastered Duke Law girls at Top of the Hill before the game who were almost falling out of their cocktail skirts. At 2 pm. Stay classy, dook.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:37 pm

I've always been a huge Tar Heel fan (family originally from NC, born in Chapel Hill, family attend UNC, etc.), and I've always wanted to attend UNC (unfortunately, didn't get in for undergrad). But after watching last night's W, my desire to be a part of the UNC School of Law Class of 2014 has increased exponentially.

Dear Dean States & Staff:

Please send me some good news..... :D

Respectfully,

Capitalist

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:32 pm

Capitalist wrote:Dear Dean States & Staff:

Respectfully,

Capitalist, BornToRun86, etc

Fixed :D

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:44 pm

borntorun86 wrote:
Capitalist wrote:Dear Dean States & Staff:

Respectfully,

Capitalist, BornToRun86, etc

Fixed :D

I approve.

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:41 pm

I am starting to think that we won't hear anything till April for new acceptances.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:32 pm

jdemmitt wrote:I am starting to think that we won't hear anything till April for new acceptances.

I'm willing to wait awhile to from hear UNC, but that's only if it's an acceptance email/letter.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:36 pm

Capitalist wrote:
jdemmitt wrote:I am starting to think that we won't hear anything till April for new acceptances.

I'm willing to wait awhile to from hear UNC, but that's only if it's an acceptance email/letter.

You guys should hear soon. I think Dean States and his crew were just pre-occupied for the past week with Chancellor Scholar stuff and now maybe seeing how much scholly money they have left. You guys should hear by the end of this month.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:07 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
Capitalist wrote:

You guys should hear soon. I think Dean States and his crew were just pre-occupied for the past week with Chancellor Scholar stuff and now maybe seeing how much scholly money they have left. You guys should hear by the end of this month.

Thanks for the positive vibs, SupraVln. I'm by no means an auto admit, but maybe Dean States and crew will give me shot.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:39 pm

Capitalist wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
Capitalist wrote:

Thanks for the positive vibs, SupraVln. I'm by no means an auto admit, but maybe Dean States and crew will give me shot.

They seem pretty holistic, my numbers are right at the medians, I'm out of state and got a hefty scholarship. They really look at the whole applicant and what he can offer the school. I am Cuban, so it probably helped me, (even though thats a non-URM) but still I didn't even think I was going to get in. I tailored all my essays to UNC, and I suspect you did the same given your interest in the school. You should really be fine if you are in-state and you have respectable numbers.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:44 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:They seem pretty holistic, my numbers are right at the medians, I'm out of state and got a hefty scholarship. They really look at the whole applicant and what he can offer the school. I am Cuban, so it probably helped me, (even though thats a non-URM) but still I didn't even think I was going to get in. I tailored all my essays to UNC, and I suspect you did the same given your interest in the school. You should really be fine if you are in-state and you have respectable numbers.

+1 on this. I got in at the beginning of Feb. My LSAT was pretty low, but I think it really helped that I wrote all of the essays and tailored them to UNC. I spent way more time on that application than any other, and if you worked your essays I think you're probably in.

I'll admit though, it really sucks that they haven't let in a bunch of people at this point (that we know of). They should consider letting in most, if not all, of the class in time for the ASDs. Otherwise it will be late and people will already have deposits in at other places.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:48 pm

DeeCee wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:They seem pretty holistic, my numbers are right at the medians, I'm out of state and got a hefty scholarship. They really look at the whole applicant and what he can offer the school. I am Cuban, so it probably helped me, (even though thats a non-URM) but still I didn't even think I was going to get in. I tailored all my essays to UNC, and I suspect you did the same given your interest in the school. You should really be fine if you are in-state and you have respectable numbers.

+1 on this. I got in at the beginning of Feb. My LSAT was pretty low, but I think it really helped that I wrote all of the essays and tailored them to UNC. I spent way more time on that application than any other, and if you worked your essays I think you're probably in.

I'll admit though, it really sucks that they haven't let in a bunch of people at this point (that we know of). They should consider letting in most, if not all, of the class in time for the ASDs. Otherwise it will be late and people will already have deposits in at other places.

Unfortunately, I'm out-of-state, which kind of sucks. Decent LSAT, nothing great, but very strong upward grade trend w/ highest honor roll multiple times. Hopefully, they'll give me shot, since UNC undergrad admissions did not... :(

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:02 pm

Capitalist wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm out-of-state, which kind of sucks. Decent LSAT, nothing great, but very strong upward grade trend w/ highest honor roll multiple times. Hopefully, they'll give me shot, since UNC undergrad admissions did not... :(

I'm OOS as well, like I said before, don't go crazy. If you really must, maybe schedule a visit and talk to Dean States, he's a funny dude, and it might put you over the edge. Either way, your decision should be here by the end of the month and if you showed a genuine and strong interest in UNC in your app, I would bet you are an admit.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:08 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:
Capitalist wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

I'm OOS as well, like I said before, don't go crazy. If you really must, maybe schedule a visit and talk to Dean States, he's a funny dude, and it might put you over the edge. Either way, your decision should be here by the end of the month and if you showed a genuine and strong interest in UNC in your app, I would bet you are an admit.

I think it helped that I met Dean States. My LSAT is bad so I was surprised I got admitted so early (I am also OOS). But I am pretty sure meeting him put me over the top along with my why UNC essay.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:17 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
I think it helped that I met Dean States. My LSAT is bad so I was surprised I got admitted so early (I am also OOS). But I am pretty sure meeting him put me over the top along with my why UNC essay.

Lizzie are you definitely attending?

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:17 pm

I actually spoke with Dean States last fall in regard to a question they had about my app. Unfortunately, I was in rush hour traffic and couldn't really focus that well on the convo. I hope my tone/lack of conversation doesn't have an adverse effect on my app, but you never know.

Anyway, judging by some of your responses, it seems like it could be beneficial to visit the school and visit with Dean States. I checked the website and it looks like they have spring break this upcoming week, so I might try to schedule a visit for the following week. Hopefully, I can get up there before I receive a decision.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:18 pm

I know this has been answered 100 times probably, but how easy is to get in state tuition after the first year? Really difficult, right?

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:24 pm

Barbie wrote:I know this has been answered 100 times probably, but how easy is to get in state tuition after the first year? Really difficult, right?

Extremely, and I'm not making this up. I currently attend grad school in NC, and many of my friends had to buy homes, register to vote, register their cars here, change their license and the whole nine yards to get residency. This is because proving residency requires that you show that you plan to live in NC indefinitely, and not for educational reasons. They will deny your request if you say anything about education.

lol, sorry so srs but that's what's up.

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:34 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Barbie wrote:I know this has been answered 100 times probably, but how easy is to get in state tuition after the first year? Really difficult, right?

Extremely, and I'm not making this up. I currently attend grad school in NC, and many of my friends had to buy homes, register to vote, register their cars here, change their license and the whole nine yards to get residency. This is because proving residency requires that you show that you plan to live in NC indefinitely, and not for educational reasons. They will deny your request if you say anything about education.

North Carolina General Statute 116-143.1

Domiciliary intent is a bitch.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:08 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

No...I am leaning towards CU at the moment. I am a west coast girl and right now I am thinking that I want to stay out west...

That being said, if UNC offers any kind of $ (even small) and CU no $, I would probably go to UNC then.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:12 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

No...I am leaning towards CU at the moment. I am a west coast girl and right now I am thinking that I want to stay out west...

That being said, if UNC offers any kind of $ (even small) and CU no $, I would probably go to UNC then.

Honestly, my 3 favorite schools in the country are U-Dub, CU-Boulder and Lewis & Clark. There's something about the Mountain West that intrigues me. Probably b/c I grew up and live in NYC and never experienced that. If I had any ties to the West what-so-ever, I would of applied there.

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:01 am

DeeCee wrote:

+1,000,000.

Most people in my department came to UNC anticipating that, while they would be on the hook for the first year, they'd get in-state tuition for 2nd year. Granted, tuition for Arts and Sciences grad school isn't the same as Law, but the OOS-IS difference is still great enough that it matters, especially to impoverished grad students. As recently as 2009, residency wasn't that difficult to come by as long as the "preponderance of the evidence" (legalese!) established your intent to remain in North Carolina indefinitely. This traditionally meant changing your license and registration, voting, paying taxes, getting a job, etc (Joining Weaver Street market was a popular move for a lot of folks in my department - but then again, we're a bunch of hippie city planners).

Starting with this year, its gotten a lot harder to get residency due to the massive budget cuts facing the UNC system (including UNC-CH). Nothing in the regulations regarding residency has changed, but the percentage of OOSers getting residency in my department has drastically decreased from last year. One of my best friends, for instance, was denied residency after 4 years despite her fiance moving to NC with her, changing all the aforementioned things, AND landing a post-graduation job with a locally-based planning firm. Another girl in my department got residency despite having stated to anyone who would hear her that she's moving back to NYC come May. The entire process can be quite arbitrary and capricious (legalese!) and seems to vary based on how much the university needs your money rather than your actual intent to remain in the state after graduation.

I'll put it this way: I've lived in NC for 23 out of my 25 years of life. I went to college here (Go Bulldogs! Big South Champs!). After I graduated I did Americorps in Boston. Once I got in to Carolina for grad school I forefited my americorps education award so I could get back to NC before I had been gone an entire year. I probably could have won on appeal after an initial deny, but better to play it safe. In essence, if the committee can find a way to deny you residency, they will.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:02 pm

Sounds like still no word on scholarships to non-Chancellor's folks?

Honestly, UNC should have had an ASD this past Friday. Anyone that stayed for the weekend would probably be putting a deposit down by today. I went to UNC undergrad, graduated in 2008 and go between wanting to get out of NC for a bit and really wanting to go back to UNC (kind of a "grass is always greener" mentality).

I'm so proud after Saturday to have to chance to spend 3 more years at UNC. Call it stupid but the basketball really does add to the UNC experience and I'm sure will help down the road (alumni, talking sports in interviews, etc.)

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:01 pm

borntorun86 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

+1,000,000.

Most people in my department came to UNC anticipating that, while they would be on the hook for the first year, they'd get in-state tuition for 2nd year. Granted, tuition for Arts and Sciences grad school isn't the same as Law, but the OOS-IS difference is still great enough that it matters, especially to impoverished grad students. As recently as 2009, residency wasn't that difficult to come by as long as the "preponderance of the evidence" (legalese!) established your intent to remain in North Carolina indefinitely. This traditionally meant changing your license and registration, voting, paying taxes, getting a job, etc (Joining Weaver Street market was a popular move for a lot of folks in my department - but then again, we're a bunch of hippie city planners).

Starting with this year, its gotten a lot harder to get residency due to the massive budget cuts facing the UNC system (including UNC-CH). Nothing in the regulations regarding residency has changed, but the percentage of OOSers getting residency in my department has drastically decreased from last year. One of my best friends, for instance, was denied residency after 4 years despite her fiance moving to NC with her, changing all the aforementioned things, AND landing a post-graduation job with a locally-based planning firm. Another girl in my department got residency despite having stated to anyone who would hear her that she's moving back to NYC come May. The entire process can be quite arbitrary and capricious (legalese!) and seems to vary based on how much the university needs your money rather than your actual intent to remain in the state after graduation.

I'll put it this way: I've lived in NC for 23 out of my 25 years of life. I went to college here (Go Bulldogs! Big South Champs!). After I graduated I did Americorps in Boston. Once I got in to Carolina for grad school I forefited my americorps education award so I could get back to NC before I had been gone an entire year. I probably could have won on appeal after an initial deny, but better to play it safe. In essence, if the committee can find a way to deny you residency, they will.

yay for someone related to my major!! I'm currently in a geography and planning grad program.... :D I'll probably be at UNC law next fall.

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:49 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:Sounds like still no word on scholarships to non-Chancellor's folks?

Honestly, UNC should have had an ASD this past Friday. Anyone that stayed for the weekend would probably be putting a deposit down by today. I went to UNC undergrad, graduated in 2008 and go between wanting to get out of NC for a bit and really wanting to go back to UNC (kind of a "grass is always greener" mentality).

I'm so proud after Saturday to have to chance to spend 3 more years at UNC. Call it stupid but the basketball really does add to the UNC experience and I'm sure will help down the road (alumni, talking sports in interviews, etc.)

Scruffs, I hope I get the opportunity to join you and the other awesome folks from this thread in Chapel Hill. Judging by this thread, I think we'd have a pretty passionate group of bball fans in the class of 2014.

In other news, the Heels rocketed up to #6 in the AP Poll and #7 in the Coaches Poll. In my opinion if the Heels win the ACC tourney, and Notre Dame doesn't win the Big East, I don't know how the committee could deny the Heels a #1 seed in the Big Dance. #ACCChamps. #Winners.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”