UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lvsmithmarsh

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:47 pm

Congrats to all you scholarship folks!

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:24 pm

LEPinBOS wrote:back to the working man, for a second. to the people whose status changed last night or this morning, are you in state or out of state? if this board is a fair indicator, it doesn't seem like there was widespread movement. maybe that's a good sign for us who just want in, let alone a scholarship. :wink:

lol

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:40 am

I didn't see it, but yesterday KButter participated in the "dunk a Dookie" contest in the pit. In a preview of Saturday's game: KButter 1, Duke 0.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:16 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:32 pm

beccabea wrote:
PDL wrote:smh at you two griping about "only" getting 75% scholarships......

In all seriousness, congrats!

Oh, give us a break, PDL.. it never feels good to be rejected for anything. And again, given my history of being incredibly socially awkward during interviews, I didn't really expect it. I'm still really excited about the scholarship we did get, though. Also, being a Chancellor's Scholar probably means people have really high expectations of you. Now I can just sit back and be the non-gunner that I am. :]

It's the opposite for me, I really know I beasted my interview, my strength is my interpersonal skills. I swear I had one of my interviewers tearing up after telling them about my upbringing. However, I also know that I had the lowest numbers out of everyone there, no matter how good my interview was I realize they couldn't justify giving me the full ride over the 3.7/174 kid. I am grateful because I have extremely low numbers to even get a dime there, let alone 75%. But now since I don't have to do all that extra Chancellor Scholar stuff (which I would of actually liked to do) I'm going to be the gunner of the group, to show everyone that I should of got the full ride and my numbers are reflective of my upbringing, not how smart I am relative to my peers.

But enough bullshitting, congrats to everyone who got the full-ride or 75%. Now lets hope our classmates get some dough so they can join us this fall.

fish tacos

Postby fish tacos » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:42 pm

fish tacos wrote:
beccabea wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:I just wanted the full scholly so I can say I'm a Chancellor Scholar, not a Chancellor Merit Award Recipient, those are crucial distinctions, especially when it comes to networking. Now I don't have that support base I would of otherwise had. Now, it's just time for me to go to school and gun.

Same here, Supra, I didn't get the Chancellor's Sholarship either, and I wanted it for the same reasons. Although if some of the Chancellor's Scholars go somewhere else, we still have a chance. I can't believe they started the email with "Congratulations," though.. I almost had a heart attack for a split second until I figured out what it really meant. I'm not that surprised, though -- I practiced "strategic pessimism," telling myself all week that I wouldn't get it so if I didn't I wouldn't be surprised, and if I did I'd be absolutely thrilled. Oh well, we still got a great scholarship!

Do we really still have a shot if winners turn them down? Dean States said they would make 12-15 offers hoping to yield 10. Last year they only had 3 accept. Does someone want to bite the bullet and call to double check?

Anyone want to speculate?

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:02 pm

fish tacos wrote:
fish tacos wrote:
beccabea wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:I just wanted the full scholly so I can say I'm a Chancellor Scholar, not a Chancellor Merit Award Recipient, those are crucial distinctions, especially when it comes to networking. Now I don't have that support base I would of otherwise had. Now, it's just time for me to go to school and gun.

Same here, Supra, I didn't get the Chancellor's Sholarship either, and I wanted it for the same reasons. Although if some of the Chancellor's Scholars go somewhere else, we still have a chance. I can't believe they started the email with "Congratulations," though.. I almost had a heart attack for a split second until I figured out what it really meant. I'm not that surprised, though -- I practiced "strategic pessimism," telling myself all week that I wouldn't get it so if I didn't I wouldn't be surprised, and if I did I'd be absolutely thrilled. Oh well, we still got a great scholarship!

Do we really still have a shot if winners turn them down? Dean States said they would make 12-15 offers hoping to yield 10. Last year they only had 3 accept. Does someone want to bite the bullet and call to double check?

Anyone want to speculate?

They will not offer us full-rides even if everyone turns down the full scholly. We have to live with 75% or take our talents elsewhere.

beccabea

Postby beccabea » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:35 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fish tacos

Postby fish tacos » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:14 pm

He never "really" said. By saying they hope to yield 10 out of 12-15 offers, it sounds like there will be no more given out. Although I'd like to hold out hope.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:12 pm

fish tacos wrote:He never "really" said. By saying they hope to yield 10 out of 12-15 offers, it sounds like there will be no more given out. Although I'd like to hold out hope.

I was 99% he did say. They give out 12-14 offers, period, and they do not make re-offers. Hence there only being 3 scholars from last class (even though they made fewer offers). When he said this was during a kind-of bathroom break (in between the clinics talk, if I remember right). :-\

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:42 pm

Lol guys, they are not giving out re-offers. Honestly, they gave the schollys out to people with the highest numbers, this has to be the case b/c after looking at LSN, no way all the highest LSAT/GPA combos are also the best interviewers. (No disrespect to the people who got it, you deserved it b/c you had the best numbers). Honestly, I don't get how this helps UNC b/c I bet most of them take T-14's and they are left with 3 Chancellor Scholars again.

However, UNC is smart b/c someone like me with relatively low numbers would probably go to UNC anyway without the full ride, however, the kids who get into Columbia, still probably won't go to UNC with the full-ride, but at least they will consider it (as opposed to giving them 75% which they definitely wouldn't take).

We get 75%, which I was annoyed at at first, but honestly, if we got 75% from the get-go and never went to the school last weekend, we would all be ecstatic. We just all want that Chancellors Scholar name, and it's a damn good name. Either way, Chancellor Scholar, Chancellor Merit Award recipient or regular sticker price student, if you don't get Top 1/3rd, you are doomed.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:16 am

SupraVln180 wrote:Lol guys, they are not giving out re-offers. Honestly, they gave the schollys out to people with the highest numbers, this has to be the case b/c after looking at LSN, no way all the highest LSAT/GPA combos are also the best interviewers. (No disrespect to the people who got it, you deserved it b/c you had the best numbers). Honestly, I don't get how this helps UNC b/c I bet most of them take T-14's and they are left with 3 Chancellor Scholars again.

However, UNC is smart b/c someone like me with relatively low numbers would probably go to UNC anyway without the full ride, however, the kids who get into Columbia, still probably won't go to UNC with the full-ride, but at least they will consider it (as opposed to giving them 75% which they definitely wouldn't take).

We get 75%, which I was annoyed at at first, but honestly, if we got 75% from the get-go and never went to the school last weekend, we would all be ecstatic. We just all want that Chancellors Scholar name, and it's a damn good name. Either way, Chancellor Scholar, Chancellor Merit Award recipient or regular sticker price student, if you don't get Top 1/3rd, you are doomed.

I'm really not trying to make a big disagreement here, but I have trouble with your assumption that the people with the highest numbers cannot possibly also be the best interviewers. I just don't really understand the point you're trying to make or how that would necessarily be true. Couldn't it be the case that the people who had offers at T14s were more relaxed about the situation and so just came off as less gun-ny? Though I have to say I am envious of that position because my numbers definitely were never going to get me into a T14 :). Obviously I will never know, but I feel like my involvement at Carolina for undergrad was what helped (that was what we mainly talked about). I have no idea what the true spread was for people there but I would guess I'd be at the median.

Also, I'm not sure I agree with the dooms-day sentiments you've got going on about doing worse than the top third. If you're graduating from Carolina with minimal debt and you know you want to stay practicing in the SE or better yet, NC, you're going to be just fine. Granted, if I were paying full tuition at Carolina I'd go in with a very set goal of exactly what I wanted to accomplish with myself so that I didn't find myself drowning a few years out, but I think everyone should be in that position, anyway. I guess if your idea of success is binary and it's NYC biglaw or go home then I would not argue with you at all. Though my sister-in-law's friend at Skadden graduated from Carolina last year without a scholarship and she seems to be doing just fine... no idea about her ranking but I'm going to be in touch with her soon. Excuse my anecdote.

Again, you're going to be just fine and considering your numbers you're actually really rocking out! I'm sure that you've got something that really shined in your application. Whatever that is, keep going with it! I wouldn't go into Carolina thinking you've got to gun gun gun destroy destroy destroy. You're doing great and Carolina just doesn't have that kind of atmosphere. Network, get the grades, make friends who will be good to you, and pat yourself on the back. Close to a full ride at a T30. Be proud, damn it!

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:44 am

innernetp wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:Lol guys, they are not giving out re-offers. Honestly, they gave the schollys out to people with the highest numbers, this has to be the case b/c after looking at LSN, no way all the highest LSAT/GPA combos are also the best interviewers. (No disrespect to the people who got it, you deserved it b/c you had the best numbers). Honestly, I don't get how this helps UNC b/c I bet most of them take T-14's and they are left with 3 Chancellor Scholars again.

I'm really not trying to make a big disagreement here, but I have trouble with your assumption that the people with the highest numbers cannot possibly also be the best interviewers. I just don't really understand the point you're trying to make or how that would necessarily be true. Couldn't it be the case that the people who had offers at T14s were more relaxed about the situation and so just came off as less gun-ny? Though I have to say I am envious of that position because my numbers definitely were never going to get me into a T14 :). Obviously I will never know, but I feel like my involvement at Carolina for undergrad was what helped (that was what we mainly talked about). I have no idea what the true spread was for people there but I would guess I'd be at the median.

Also, I'm not sure I agree with the dooms-day sentiments you've got going on about doing worse than the top third. If you're graduating from Carolina with minimal debt and you know you want to stay practicing in the SE or better yet, NC, you're going to be just fine. Granted, if I were paying full tuition at Carolina I'd go in with a very set goal of exactly what I wanted to accomplish with myself so that I didn't find myself drowning a few years out, but I think everyone should be in that position, anyway. I guess if your idea of success is binary and it's NYC biglaw or go home then I would not argue with you at all. Though my sister-in-law's friend at Skadden graduated from Carolina last year without a scholarship and she seems to be doing just fine... no idea about her ranking but I'm going to be in touch with her soon. Excuse my anecdote.

Again, you're going to be just fine and considering your numbers you're actually really rocking out! I'm sure that you've got something that really shined in your application. Whatever that is, keep going with it! I wouldn't go into Carolina thinking you've got to gun gun gun destroy destroy destroy. You're doing great and Carolina just doesn't have that kind of atmosphere. Network, get the grades, make friends who will be good to you, and pat yourself on the back. Close to a full ride at a T30. Be proud, damn it!

Again, I was not trying to say you shouldn't of got the full ride, you have great numbers and deserved it. As for the job placement comment, I was mainly talking about firm work. I was talking to a 2L Chancellor Scholar that night we all went to Kildare's (I don't think we formally met, so I'm not sure if you were there) and she said that you pretty much need to be in the top 3rd for firm work in NC and top 10-15 depending on the leg work for markets like NY and DC. Since we won't have much debt we can get into PI and at least have a job, but obviously, all of this depends on the state of the economy in 2 years.

EDIT: Also, suprised you couldn't crack T-14 with your numbers, they are real solid. I would think you could nab Cornell, Michigan or a higher ranked school with ED. Not saying that's a better decision than the full ride, just saying I think your numbers are T-14ish caliber.

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:05 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
innernetp wrote:

Again, I was not trying to say you shouldn't of got the full ride, you have great numbers and deserved it. As for the job placement comment, I was mainly talking about firm work. I was talking to a 2L Chancellor Scholar that night we all went to Kildare's (I don't think we formally met, so I'm not sure if you were there) and she said that you pretty much need to be in the top 3rd for firm work in NC and top 10-15 depending on the leg work for markets like NY and DC. Since we won't have much debt we can get into PI and at least have a job, but obviously, all of this depends on the state of the economy in 2 years.

EDIT: Also, suprised you couldn't crack T-14 with your numbers, they are real solid. I would think you could nab Cornell, Michigan or a higher ranked school with ED. Not saying that's a better decision than the full ride, just saying I think your numbers are T-14ish caliber.[/]

That is interesting information about the 2L.

Thanks, too. I was not at all trying to say you didn't deserve it, either, just pointing out something in your logic that I felt fuzzy about. I have experienced enough rejection in my life that I know very well how much it just sucks, period. Even though in your case you're not even really rejected at all! Still, I really do get it and am not trying to discredit you/your experiences/what you've accomplished.

I didn't apply to Mich or Cornell because I hate cold weather with every ounce of my body...my ears are sensitive to wind to the point where I have cried because I've been caught outside during the winter without my earmuffs. Dear God I'm a gigantic baby. My dad chose Cornell over Stanford for grad school and says it was probably the biggest regret of his life. Not that I really have that choice! But I just didn't even want to waste the application fee. I don't even think I could do D.C., to be real.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:21 am

For Cornell, there's just that level of prestige that comes along with the "Ivy tag". I would suck up the cold weather. Even if it is the worst Ivy League school besides Brown (which isn't applicable b/c it doesn't have a law school.)

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:23 am

....ready for that turned-down scholarship money to trickle down.....haha

One of my good friends that attends unc just got a duke-unc student ticket through their lottery system. Can't wait until I can join the lottery :mrgreen:

innernetp

Postby innernetp » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:35 am

DeeCee wrote:....ready for that turned-down scholarship money to trickle down.....haha

One of my good friends that attends unc just got a duke-unc student ticket through their lottery system. Can't wait until I can join the lottery :mrgreen:

Ugh I want to vomit. Because of a miscommunication with my family I'm not going to be in town for the Dook game. It's my senior year. I'll still be with my heels through GAA but geez. I've really had some bad karma with watching good carolina bball games.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:42 am

innernetp wrote:
DeeCee wrote:....ready for that turned-down scholarship money to trickle down.....haha

Ugh I want to vomit. Because of a miscommunication with my family I'm not going to be in town for the Dook game. It's my senior year. I'll still be with my heels through GAA but geez. I've really had some bad karma with watching good carolina bball games.

It's funny, when I told my parents I got into UNC, they are like, "Oh my god, that's where you have to go," because they know it's a good school and they love the basketball, lol

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:12 am

lol sometimes it's funny how sports prestige=educational quality

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:31 am

--ImageRemoved--

Game Day. Winning Time.
Last edited by borntorun86 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:53 am

DeeCee wrote:
innernetp wrote:

It's funny, when I told my parents I got into UNC, they are like, "Oh my god, that's where you have to go," because they know it's a good school and they love the basketball, lol

Dee Cee I forget, are you in-state for UNC?

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:03 am

borntorun86 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Game Day. Winning Time.

OH. MY. GOD. That is f'ing amazing. Ten hours until tipoff. Go Heels. Go To Hell Dook. :twisted:

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:02 pm

Barbie wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
innernetp wrote:

Dee Cee I forget, are you in-state for UNC?

Yes, I'm in-state. On a side note, I just found a picture of myself (that I did not put up or give permission to be put up) on my university's department website. Talk about awkward

Capitalist

Postby Capitalist » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:32 pm

ACC regular season champs!! major props to the crowd for making it a true home court advantage, dexter's facial dunk at the end was the icing on the cake.

GO HEELS!!

borntorun86

Postby borntorun86 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:40 am

Wow. Last night may have been one of the best of my life.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”