UNC 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:53 am

scruffs mcguff wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:Because comparing basketball to war is fun and appropriate.
Not sure if serious.
Same.

TyrodTaylor

Bronze

Post by TyrodTaylor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:06 pm

Beat DOOK

LEPinBOS

New

Post by LEPinBOS » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:10 pm

no, no, i really think it's fun. :wink:

edit: + wink.

lifelong duke fan.

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:36 pm

I think I've watched Barnes game-winner at least 15 times winces last night.

The. Black. Mutha. F'in. Falcon.

Go Heels! Go to hell Dook!

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:50 pm

This isn't directed at you LEP because for all I know you have a legitimate connection to Duke. However, if you don't, then it is directed at you as well.

Anyway, I was watching the UNC v. Maryland game with two friends that are going/went to UNC (Pharmacy and undergrad). There was a group of what appeared to be lower income Duke fans (read: white trash) at the bar and I started talking to them (mistake #1). I casually inquired about their connection to the team (something I do often to Duke fans). Their response was: "life long fans." I prodded in to what that meant (mistake #2). I asked did they or a parent or even an extended family member go to Duke? Nope. I asked then "why like a team or school, especially Duke, which (generalizing here) is mostly comprised of rich kids from the mid-atlantic?" They did not like my questioning but I don't get how the heck poor white kids from rural NC identify with Duke? This shit drives me nuts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LEPinBOS

New

Post by LEPinBOS » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:57 pm

my legitimate connection to duke is that i look really good in that shade of blue. people take sports too seriously.

borntorun86

Bronze

Post by borntorun86 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:47 pm

LEPinBOS wrote:my legitimate connection to duke is that i look really good in that shade of blue. people take sports too seriously.
See:
- University of Kentucky
- University of North Carolina at Asheville
- University of Kansas
- University of Florida

I could go on. There's a name for people who choose a college sports team based on the color of the uniform. They're called "bandwagon" fans. True Story: I once knew a guy who was a Duke fan because of the Mitch Ryder song ("Devil with a Blue Dress"). There's nothing wrong with that per se, especially if you're not that into sports. But just know that if you're looking for a team with kick-ass royal blue uniforms, you can do a lot better than the Blue Devils.

innernetp

Bronze

Post by innernetp » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:56 pm

I just got an email....

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chancellor's Scholarship!!!!! THIS IS A FANTASTIC DAY!!

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:59 pm

innernetp wrote:I just got an email....

Congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:02 pm

Ballllerrrrrrr. Way to go!

borntorun86

Bronze

Post by borntorun86 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:03 pm

Sweet!!! Congrats to you!

innernetp

Bronze

Post by innernetp » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:13 pm

borntorun86 wrote:

Sweet!!! Congrats to you!
Oh my gosh. Thank you!! I'm DJing at Carolina's radio station and started laugh crying. I was cramming for my two midterms coming up in an hour... and now I think I will take a break for the first time in a couple years from studying. Hahah.

LEPinBOS

New

Post by LEPinBOS » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:16 pm

congrats!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Moral_Midgetry

Silver

Post by Moral_Midgetry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Hopefully now they can get to awarding the rest of us schollies.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:28 pm

I just got the e-mail, I only received 75% tuition, I am kind of bummed because I thought I killed my interview, however now I know they based it primarily off of numbers and interviews really didn't matter all that much. I am grateful to receive the 75% though. I have no better options yet, so UNC might be the choice for me.

LEPinBOS

New

Post by LEPinBOS » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:56 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:I just got the e-mail, I only received 75% tuition, I am kind of bummed because I thought I killed my interview, however now I know they based it primarily off of numbers and interviews really didn't matter all that much. I am grateful to receive the 75% though. I have no better options yet, so UNC might be the choice for me.

congrats, supravin! i bet you did wonderfully on your interview, and i bet it helped you secure an impressive scholarship! you must be doing something non-numerical right. i have (slightly) higher numbers than your lsn profile, i applied early, and i still haven't heard if i even got in!

aae723

New

Post by aae723 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:03 pm

AHH im freaking out!
Last edited by aae723 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:12 pm

I just wanted the full scholly so I can say I'm a Chancellor Scholar, not a Chancellor Merit Award Recipient, those are crucial distinctions, especially when it comes to networking. Now I don't have that support base I would of otherwise had. Now, it's just time for me to go to school and gun.

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:17 pm

aae723 wrote:AHH im freaking out!

I applied mid-December and my status checker still says ready for review...

it's not looking good, I have a 164 LSAT and 3.35 LSDAS gpa and OOS...
Calm down. Everything will be alright lol.

Read the thread, theres even us instate people with comparable numbers (I'm 3.26/167) who are still ready for review.

qed2011

New

Post by qed2011 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:21 pm

Congrats to all of the scholarship winners! 75% is still great.

I wasn't invited, and I'm a little sad, to be honest. I have a 171 LSAT and I'm in-state. Given a scholly, I probably would've gone here, but now I'm pretty sure I'm heading to Penn.

We can all hang out at Top of the Hill or whatever still when I'm in town to see my parents ;)
Last edited by qed2011 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:25 pm

Last edited by beccabea on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:57 pm

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fish tacos

Bronze

Post by fish tacos » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:00 pm

beccabea wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:I just wanted the full scholly so I can say I'm a Chancellor Scholar, not a Chancellor Merit Award Recipient, those are crucial distinctions, especially when it comes to networking. Now I don't have that support base I would of otherwise had. Now, it's just time for me to go to school and gun.
Same here, Supra, I didn't get the Chancellor's Sholarship either, and I wanted it for the same reasons. Although if some of the Chancellor's Scholars go somewhere else, we still have a chance. I can't believe they started the email with "Congratulations," though.. I almost had a heart attack for a split second until I figured out what it really meant. I'm not that surprised, though -- I practiced "strategic pessimism," telling myself all week that I wouldn't get it so if I didn't I wouldn't be surprised, and if I did I'd be absolutely thrilled. Oh well, we still got a great scholarship!
Do we really still have a shot if winners turn them down? Dean States said they would make 12-15 offers hoping to yield 10. Last year they only had 3 accept. Does someone want to bite the bullet and call to double check?

innernetp

Bronze

Post by innernetp » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:18 pm

beccabea wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:I just wanted the full scholly so I can say I'm a Chancellor Scholar, not a Chancellor Merit Award Recipient, those are crucial distinctions, especially when it comes to networking. Now I don't have that support base I would of otherwise had. Now, it's just time for me to go to school and gun.
Same here, Supra, I didn't get the Chancellor's Sholarship either, and I wanted it for the same reasons. Although if some of the Chancellor's Scholars go somewhere else, we still have a chance. I can't believe they started the email with "Congratulations," though.. I almost had a heart attack for a split second until I figured out what it really meant. I'm not that surprised, though -- I practiced "strategic pessimism," telling myself all week that I wouldn't get it so if I didn't I wouldn't be surprised, and if I did I'd be absolutely thrilled. Oh well, we still got a great scholarship!
Seriously, you guys are still in VERY good positions! And I seriously doubt that there will be a huge difference in networking. You should be proud of yourselves, and who knows how the selection process goes. I interviewed for a really competitive scholarship for undergrad at Carolina and was very upset when I didn't get it, but at the end of the day it really just didn't end up mattering. I still had a different scholarship (albeit for not as much money) so I can relate to you 100%. If you show up to Carolina and rock out, get involves, get good grades, you will be just fine. I hope very much that I'm not coming off as patronizing because I'm being genuine. You guys are still great and no matter what happens you will do well!

LEPinBOS

New

Post by LEPinBOS » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:33 pm

back to the working man, for a second. to the people whose status changed last night or this morning, are you in state or out of state? if this board is a fair indicator, it doesn't seem like there was widespread movement. maybe that's a good sign for us who just want in, let alone a scholarship. :wink:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”