UNC 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Capitalist
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitalist » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:06 pm

borntorun86 wrote:It's "beat Dook" week on campus right now. T-shirts are being distributed in the Pit. Tomorrow, there's free Ben and Jerry's. And somehow I'm stuck in a stats lab working on my master's thesis.

God, I love UNC.


Gotta take care of business Wednesday night against the Noles before we worry about our neighbors from Durham.

borntorun86
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby borntorun86 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:23 pm

Capitalist wrote:
borntorun86 wrote:It's "beat Dook" week on campus right now. T-shirts are being distributed in the Pit. Tomorrow, there's free Ben and Jerry's. And somehow I'm stuck in a stats lab working on my master's thesis.

God, I love UNC.


Gotta take care of business Wednesday night against the Noles before we worry about our neighbors from Durham.


Completely agree. Of course, my undergraduate (UNC Asheville) has their tournament this week so that's on my mind as well. and school. Oh my goodness, school. I cannot stress how much an acceptance email would improve my week.

User avatar
scruffs mcguff
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby scruffs mcguff » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:28 pm

How is Kenny George doing?

User avatar
Capitalist
Posts: 286
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:38 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Capitalist » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:43 pm

borntorun86 wrote:
Capitalist wrote:
borntorun86 wrote:It's "beat Dook" week on campus right now. T-shirts are being distributed in the Pit. Tomorrow, there's free Ben and Jerry's. And somehow I'm stuck in a stats lab working on my master's thesis.

God, I love UNC.


Gotta take care of business Wednesday night against the Noles before we worry about our neighbors from Durham.


Completely agree. Of course, my undergraduate (UNC Asheville) has their tournament this week so that's on my mind as well. and school. Oh my goodness, school. I cannot stress how much an acceptance email would improve my week.


The Heels handle FSU by double-digits + A victory over Duke on Saturday night, clinching the regular season title + an acceptance from UNC = the greatest week EVER. :D

borntorun86
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby borntorun86 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:22 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:How is Kenny George doing?


Kenny's in Chicago, rehabbing and finishing his degree long-distance from UNCA. He should graduate either this May or next December.

LEPinBOS
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby LEPinBOS » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:53 am

here's to hoping that a wave of sensational applicants doesn't flood unc law today, sending the rest of us straight to our second choices.

LEPinBOS
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby LEPinBOS » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:14 am

thanks, n&o! .... http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/03/01/1021123/young-lawyers-scrape-to-find-work.html

my favorite quote: "Many go into teaching or writing or become a politician. Some just want the degree," [the assistant dean for career services at nc central] said.

....because teaching, writing and elected-official jobs are more abundant than midlaw junior associate gigs.

super6
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby super6 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:57 am

I emailed the admissions office over the weekend just to see if they had any further information about when decisions would be coming but all they said was that everyone will have a decision by May 1st. lol.

User avatar
mez06
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby mez06 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:03 pm

LEPinBOS wrote:thanks, n&o! .... http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/03/01/1021123/young-lawyers-scrape-to-find-work.html

my favorite quote: "Many go into teaching or writing or become a politician. Some just want the degree," [the assistant dean for career services at nc central] said.

....because teaching, writing and elected-official jobs are more abundant than midlaw junior associate gigs.


Apparently WF is the place to go in NC now. All signs are pointing that way atleast.

User avatar
Moral_Midgetry
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:25 pm

mez06 wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:thanks, n&o! .... http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/03/01/1021123/young-lawyers-scrape-to-find-work.html

my favorite quote: "Many go into teaching or writing or become a politician. Some just want the degree," [the assistant dean for career services at nc central] said.

....because teaching, writing and elected-official jobs are more abundant than midlaw junior associate gigs.


Apparently WF is the place to go in NC now. All signs are pointing that way atleast.


Is that really apparent? I must have missed all the signs.

Seriously, WFU and UNC are peer schools. Wake has slightly better NJL 250 placement (15.06% to UNC's 11.81%, even though UNC actually placed more due to it's larger class size), however, it is also twice as expensive. As someone who has worked in a NC firm, these two schools are held in the same regard.

LEPinBOS
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby LEPinBOS » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:25 pm

mez06 wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:thanks, n&o! .... http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/03/01/1021123/young-lawyers-scrape-to-find-work.html

my favorite quote: "Many go into teaching or writing or become a politician. Some just want the degree," [the assistant dean for career services at nc central] said.

....because teaching, writing and elected-official jobs are more abundant than midlaw junior associate gigs.


Apparently WF is the place to go in NC now. All signs are pointing that way atleast.



What, in the name of Jeff Bzdelik, is your evidence?

User avatar
scruffs mcguff
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby scruffs mcguff » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:25 pm

mez06 wrote:Apparently WF is the place to go in NC now. All signs are pointing that way atleast.


Go on...

User avatar
Moral_Midgetry
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:27 pm

According to LSN, he is in at Wake and pending at UNC. We'll see how his tune changes if he gets the opportunity to live and study in Chapel Hill.

User avatar
scruffs mcguff
Posts: 304
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby scruffs mcguff » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:28 pm

mez06 wrote:Apparently WF is the place to go in NC now. All signs are pointing that way atleast.


Is your basis for this the fact that the article was about a UNC student and not a WF student?

They are peer schools and UNC is cheaper and has a bigger alumni base than WF.

qed2011
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:11 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby qed2011 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:31 pm

According to the new NLJ data, WF does place more in Biglaw. This may be due to self-selection, the crazy economy that the data came out from, and/or small fluctuations in class size.

Either way, that entire N&O article scares the shit out of me.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:32 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
mez06 wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:thanks, n&o! .... http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/03/01/1021123/young-lawyers-scrape-to-find-work.html

my favorite quote: "Many go into teaching or writing or become a politician. Some just want the degree," [the assistant dean for career services at nc central] said.

....because teaching, writing and elected-official jobs are more abundant than midlaw junior associate gigs.


Apparently WF is the place to go in NC now. All signs are pointing that way atleast.


Is that really apparent? I must have missed all the signs.

Seriously, WFU and UNC are peer schools. Wake has slightly better NJL 250 placement (15.06% to UNC's 11.81%, even though UNC actually placed more due to it's larger class size), however, it is also twice as expensive. As someone who has worked in a NC firm, these two schools are held in the same regard.



UNC places more grads in the public sector, I would guess more overall grads have "real jobs" at graduation than Wake. There's no way I would ever choose Wake over UNC. I was at UNC this weekend, the Dean of career services was being extremely honest with us about job placement and how he cannot fudge statistics due to the state budget, he worked at a number of other peer schools and he was explaining to us how all of the other schools he worked at fudged their numbers. So when you see UNC's numbers, that is the real picture, not the sugarcoated picture you see from every other school. Wake and UNC are peer schools, but as a New Yorker I do think UNC holds a bit more weight nationally. I was talking to a lawyer who works in a Mid-sized firm in Manhattan the other day, and he was impressed when I started talking about UNC, he really had nothing to say about Wake (I don't think he thought it was highly ranked.)

User avatar
Moral_Midgetry
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby Moral_Midgetry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:38 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:UNC places more grads in the public sector, I would guess more overall grads have "real jobs" at graduation than Wake. There's no way I would ever choose Wake over UNC. I was at UNC this weekend, the Dean of career services was being extremely honest with us about job placement and how he cannot fudge statistics due to the state budget, he worked at a number of other peer schools and he was explaining to us how all of the other schools he worked at fudged their numbers. So when you see UNC's numbers, that is the real picture, not the sugarcoated picture you see from every other school. Wake and UNC are peer schools, but as a New Yorker I do think UNC holds a bit more weight nationally. I was talking to a lawyer who works in a Mid-sized firm in Manhattan the other day, and he was impressed when I started talking about UNC, he really had nothing to say about Wake (I don't think he thought it was highly ranked.)


I'm inclined to agree with you on UNC placing more grads into the public sector but I haven't seen any hard evidence of it. If I missed something and you know where this information is, please share.

Anyway, as an admit at both UNC and WFU, I'm choosing UNC and it isn't even close.

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:
SupraVln180 wrote:UNC places more grads in the public sector, I would guess more overall grads have "real jobs" at graduation than Wake. There's no way I would ever choose Wake over UNC. I was at UNC this weekend, the Dean of career services was being extremely honest with us about job placement and how he cannot fudge statistics due to the state budget, he worked at a number of other peer schools and he was explaining to us how all of the other schools he worked at fudged their numbers. So when you see UNC's numbers, that is the real picture, not the sugarcoated picture you see from every other school. Wake and UNC are peer schools, but as a New Yorker I do think UNC holds a bit more weight nationally. I was talking to a lawyer who works in a Mid-sized firm in Manhattan the other day, and he was impressed when I started talking about UNC, he really had nothing to say about Wake (I don't think he thought it was highly ranked.)


I'm inclined to agree with you on UNC placing more grads into the public sector but I haven't seen any hard evidence of it. If I missed something and you know where this information is, please share.

Anyway, as an admit at both UNC and WFU, I'm choosing UNC and it isn't even close.



The Dean of Career Services said alot of grads wind up working for Non-Profits, etc. Although, they are working as lawyers for these organizations, he has to mark them as "Non-Legal" jobs, but I would classify it as Public Service.

User avatar
DubPoker
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby DubPoker » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm actually in at Wake and still waiting from UNC. So I very well might be going to Wake next year and not UNC.

I know someone at a NC "biglaw" firm, Their firm is mainly UNC and WF grads (the rest is T14). He said in terms of hiring, they do view UNC as being better (this guy is a HYS grad btw, so not too much bias there.)

That being said Wake is definitely a great choice for people like me who want to go to school and work in NC. That firm still has plenty of WF grads. I mean if you don't make top 10% at either school you are not going to have a chance at their anyway.

on the public sector note, I just noticed the entire North Carolina supreme court is UNC SoL grads lol

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:47 pm

DubPoker wrote:I'm actually in at Wake and still waiting from UNC. So I very well might be going to Wake next year and not UNC.

I know someone at a NC "biglaw" firm, Their firm is mainly UNC and WF grads (the rest is T14). He said in terms of hiring, they do view UNC as being better (this guy is a HYS grad btw, so not too much bias there.)

That being said Wake is definitely a great choice for people like me who want to go to school and work in NC. That firm still has plenty of WF grads. I mean if you don't make top 10% at either school you are not going to have a chance at their anyway.

on the public sector note, I just noticed the entire North Carolina supreme court is UNC SoL grads lol


Yeah, noone said Wake is a poor school. Wake is an extremely strong regional school. NC Big Law, only picks grads from UNC and Wake (Dukies take their talents to NYC). With that being said, I was taking to a 2L this weekend, and she said she didn't make law review and was in top third at UNC and got Large Firm work in Charlotte. So I would say Top Third at UNC gets Big Law in Raleigh/Charlotte. A 3L at UNC was in Top 10% and got Dallas Big Law, she also told me, it really didn't require much leg work. Career services have programs that can place you in really any region you want, as long as you have the grades. Just some food for thought.

User avatar
mez06
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby mez06 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:54 pm

Moral_Midgetry wrote:According to LSN, he is in at Wake and pending at UNC. We'll see how his tune changes if he gets the opportunity to live and study in Chapel Hill.


LOL @ the snooping job. I wasn't committing WF trolling rather making the comment based upon the article, NLJ stats, and clerkship stats. To be honest, I've always had (and still do) hold UNC at a higher level. The stats over the past couple of years though have seemingly challenged my rationale. More of a conversation statement versus a troll comment :roll: :roll: :roll:

SupraVln180
Posts: 883
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:50 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby SupraVln180 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:56 pm

mez06 wrote:
Moral_Midgetry wrote:According to LSN, he is in at Wake and pending at UNC. We'll see how his tune changes if he gets the opportunity to live and study in Chapel Hill.


LOL @ the snooping job. I wasn't committing WF trolling rather making the comment based upon the article, NLJ stats, and clerkship stats. To be honest, I've always had (and still do) hold UNC at a higher level. The stats over the past couple of years though have seemingly challenged my rationale. More of a conversation statement versus a troll comment :roll: :roll: :roll:


I have to say, I do think Wake plays the numbers game to a much higher extent than UNC does. If UNC actually played the numbers game, they would easily be ranked at that 22 spot or higher.

borntorun86
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby borntorun86 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:14 pm

Speaking as a North Carolina resident, I never even bothered applying to Wake. It doesn't make any sense financially. Even if I was out of state, I still wouldn't apply. Who on earth wants to go to school in Winston Salem when you could go to school in Chapel Hill?

And yes, I'm biased.

LEPinBOS
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:37 am

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby LEPinBOS » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:18 pm

borntorun86 wrote:Speaking as a North Carolina resident, I never even bothered applying to Wake. It doesn't make any sense financially. Even if I was out of state, I still wouldn't apply. Who on earth wants to go to school in Winston Salem when you could go to school in Chapel Hill?

And yes, I'm biased.


Where else did you apply?

User avatar
agora139
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Postby agora139 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:28 pm

have any chancellor's scholars heard decisions yet??




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Assasindowntheavenue, fancyfluter22, Ferrisjso, Google Adsense [Bot], hellohalo, Houzy, lg77, lillawyer2, PDX4343, potterotter, premalone, stewhan, uhwrestler, whodareswins, xnsch, Yahoo [Bot] and 22 guests