UNC 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jeffro

Bronze

Re: UNC 2011 Applicants

Post by Jeffro » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:34 pm

^ Well that doesn't bode well for me. I'm still stuck at Ready for Review 11/12. I'm thinking they don't like splitters too much, even if I am in-state.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:36 pm

Jeffro wrote:^ Well that doesn't bode well for me. I'm still stuck at Ready for Review 11/12. I'm thinking they don't like splitters too much, even if I am in-state.
I was 157/3.95 in-state and I got in the beginning of Feb.....I think you have hope if you wrote a strong essay about Carolina!

borntorun86

Bronze

Post by borntorun86 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:32 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Jeffro wrote:^ Well that doesn't bode well for me. I'm still stuck at Ready for Review 11/12. I'm thinking they don't like splitters too much, even if I am in-state.
I was 157/3.95 in-state and I got in the beginning of Feb.....I think you have hope if you wrote a strong essay about Carolina!
I'll paint myself tar heel blue and sing the alma mater in the Pit if it gets me into UNC Law.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:44 pm

borntorun86 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
I'll paint myself tar heel blue and sing the alma mater in the Pit if it gets me into UNC Law.
I'd pay to see this!!! hahaha.
You should write a LOCI about it, tell 'em you bleed Carolina Blue :P :mrgreen:

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:46 pm

borntorun86 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:08 pm

Go Heels. Beat State tomorrow. Hit some 3s.

That is all.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:09 pm

Capitalist wrote:Go Heels. Beat State tomorrow. Hit some 3s.

That is all.
YESSSS. lol

pokerlaw

Bronze

Post by pokerlaw » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:41 am

Hurry up UNC.

LEPinBOS

New

Post by LEPinBOS » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:51 am

pokerlaw wrote:Hurry up UNC.

at this point, does anyone REALLY expect to hear anything before the application deadline? they've waited this long, so why wouldn't they wait another 10 days to finish assessing the entire applicant pool before sending decisions?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jeffro

Bronze

Post by Jeffro » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:57 am

^ I was just thinking the exact same thing.

pokerlaw

Bronze

Post by pokerlaw » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:25 am

LEPinBOS wrote:

at this point, does anyone REALLY expect to hear anything before the application deadline? they've waited this long, so why wouldn't they wait another 10 days to finish assessing the entire applicant pool before sending decisions?
I'm not expecting to hear anything until mid March, but what UNC says decides my cycle. I'm finally starting to get impatient.

PDL

Bronze

Post by PDL » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:39 am

Last edited by PDL on Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffro

Bronze

Post by Jeffro » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:51 am

pokerlaw wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:

I'm not expecting to hear anything until mid March, but what UNC says decides my cycle. I'm finally starting to get impatient.
Same here. Synopsis of conversation I had on phone with an admissions officer:

Me: Can you tell me about things X and Y and UNC?
Her: No, I don't really know anything about them.
Me: OK...well regardless I'm very interested in UNC and am curious when decisions might begin going out regularly. I have some other schools that have deadlines April 1.
Her: Well we usually plan for April to May.
Me: But what about people with deposit deadlines from other schools?
Her: Yeah, I can see how that would be a problem...[trail off to silence with no further comments]

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

richis7

New

Post by richis7 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:14 pm

Jeffro wrote:
pokerlaw wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:

Me: OK...well regardless I'm very interested in UNC and am curious when decisions might begin going out regularly. I have some other schools that have deadlines April 1.
Her: Yeah, I can see how that would be a problem...[trail off to silence with no further comments]
That conversation pretty much describes my life right now. Law schools either need to collectively push back their seat deposit deadlines or start working weekends to get decisions out quicker. God forbid we actually have time to reflect on anything.

I'm still "ready for review" in state submitted December 15th...

LEPinBOS

New

Post by LEPinBOS » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:25 pm

Jeffro wrote:
pokerlaw wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:

really? the whole conversation trailed off from there without any further comments? smells like hyperbole. i've called over there a couple of times, and i've never been treated like that. in particular, director kott has been incredibly helpful and accommodating. there's reason to believe your experience isn't typical. besides, we aren't entitled to a decision any sooner than what they promised when we applied...may 1.

still, i'm rooting for you, jeffro.

to take everyone's mind off unc for a few hours: where are you in the country, and where are you going for lunch? i'm in d.c., and i'm craving potbellys.

borntorun86

Bronze

Post by borntorun86 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:26 pm

I'm in the Planning Department reading room at UNC eating some BBQ sliders from Lenoir. Not Allen & Sons or the Pit by any means, but pretty damn good.

Jeffro

Bronze

Post by Jeffro » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:34 pm

LEPinBOS wrote:really? the whole conversation trailed off from there without any further comments? smells like hyperbole. i've called over there a couple of times, and i've never been treated like that. in particular, director kott has been incredibly helpful and accommodating. there's reason to believe your experience isn't typical. besides, we aren't entitled to a decision any sooner than what they promised when we applied...may 1.

Of course it was hyperbole, it's not like there were no further words exchanged and I just sat there and listened to her hang up the phone. Still, it was a fairly representative synopsis of my conversation. I think other people have gotten not so warm/informative receptions in person and otherwise, too.

But thanks for supporting me. I don't feel entitled to an immediate decision on my application, just a little bit of understanding from UNC that the vast majority of other programs have released a huge amount of acceptances and, therefore, a good amount of UNC's applicants likely need to know whether UNC is a viable option for them...you know, sometime sooner than May 1. It's not like we're even talking about them reviewing waitlisted applicants then, that's just regular admission folks who have to make substantial deposits at other schools weeks prior to then. Sure some other schools might let some people know late, but few have admitted so few as UNC thus far.

With all of this discussion of them being slow, watch them release decisions en masse within the week. If so, I'll assume my comments encouraged UNC to rethink their entire admissions philosophy and you're all welcome.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jerseygirl24

New

Post by jerseygirl24 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:34 pm

i'm in the law school and i just had a particularly unsatisfying bowl appetit from the snack bar. craving jersey mike's.

SupraVln180

Silver

Post by SupraVln180 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Jeffro wrote:
LEPinBOS wrote:really? the whole conversation trailed off from there without any further comments? smells like hyperbole. i've called over there a couple of times, and i've never been treated like that. in particular, director kott has been incredibly helpful and accommodating. there's reason to believe your experience isn't typical. besides, we aren't entitled to a decision any sooner than what they promised when we applied...may 1.

Of course it was hyperbole, it's not like there were no further words exchanged and I just sat there and listened to her hang up the phone. Still, it was a fairly representative synopsis of my conversation. I think other people have gotten not so warm/informative receptions in person and otherwise, too.

But thanks for supporting me. I don't feel entitled to an immediate decision on my application, just a little bit of understanding from UNC that the vast majority of other programs have released a huge amount of acceptances and, therefore, a good amount of UNC's applicants likely need to know whether UNC is a viable option for them...you know, sometime sooner than May 1. It's not like we're even talking about them reviewing waitlisted applicants then, that's just regular admission folks who have to make substantial deposits at other schools weeks prior to then. Sure some other schools might let some people know late, but few have admitted so few as UNC thus far.

With all of this discussion of them being slow, watch them release decisions en masse within the week. If so, I'll assume my comments encouraged UNC to rethink their entire admissions philosophy and you're all welcome.

You'll hear before April 1st. Deposit deadline for UNC is April 15th, just like most other schools.

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:10 am

Big win tonight for the Heels over the Pack...Simple mathematical equation: Pts. in the paint + knocking down some outside shots + playing w/ intensity + Henson DOMINATING the paint = A likely "W" for good guys in the real shade of BLUE.

GO HEELS!

I really, really, really want to be in Chapel Hill this fall.

borntorun86

Bronze

Post by borntorun86 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:37 am

Capitalist wrote:Big win tonight for the Heels over the Pack...Simple mathematical equation: Pts. in the paint + knocking down some outside shots + playing w/ intensity + Henson DOMINATING the paint = A likely "W" for good guys in the real shade of BLUE.

GO HEELS!

Went to the game last night (Dad's a State alum). Lots of blue in the RBC center, but more red. Headline in the DTH today: "Ten Straight vs. State."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pokerlaw

Bronze

Post by pokerlaw » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:53 am

Capitalist wrote:Big win tonight for the Heels over the Pack...Simple mathematical equation: Pts. in the paint + knocking down some outside shots + playing w/ intensity + Henson DOMINATING the paint = A likely "W" for good guys in the real shade of BLUE.

GO HEELS!

I'm glad UNC didn't play down to State's level. They have had a tendency to do that this year.

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:59 am

pokerlaw wrote:

GO HEELS!

I'm glad UNC didn't play down to State's level. They have had a tendency to do that this year.
You're certainly right about the Heels' tendency to play down to their opponent's level. I think when you add the hostile environment and the physical play that the refs were allowing, it sparked an attitude/toughness that allowed the Heels to pull out a W.

Now, beat the Terps on Sunday.
Last edited by Capitalist on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

borntorun86

Bronze

Post by borntorun86 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:04 pm

Capitalist wrote:
pokerlaw wrote:

GO HEELS!

You're certainly right about the Heels' tendency to play down to their opponent's level. I think when you add the hostile environment and the physical play that the refs were allowing, it sparked an attitude/toughness that allowed the Heels to pull out a W.

Now, beat the 'Noles on Sunday.
You mean the Terps?

Capitalist

Bronze

Post by Capitalist » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:36 pm

borntorun86 wrote:
Capitalist wrote:
pokerlaw wrote:

GO HEELS!

Now, beat the 'Noles on Sunday.
You mean the Terps?
Yep, sorry. Will edit. :oops:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”